Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Appalachian St at Marshall Game Thread

Neer86
School: Appalachian State

Appalachian St at Marshall Game Thread

Unread post by Neer86 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:08 am

Let's go Mountaineers! National broadcast audience against an old rival!
3:30 kickoff perfectly suited for tailgating, even if it's at home!
A chance to remain ranked for at least one more week, and maybe even after the Big 10 resumes...

And now, why I'm really into this game. I graduated in 86, spent two years working in Fayetteville, NC, and got transferred to Myrtle Beach. A co-worker helped me find an apartment in her complex, and she became my best friend. She went to Marshall.

So we road tripped to Boone and Huntington for the games and had a blast. My first trip to West Virginia, and it sure was interesting. "Do Not Feed The Bears" signs at rest stops was a bit unnerving.

We went to her family's home in Parkersburg before going to her college roommates' place near Marshall I learned about indigents, marveled at the natural beauty of the state.

Marshall was at their zenith at the time, but the games between these two teams were always a toss up. I remember one year at their place we had the lead in the last minutes of the game but Marshall had driven to our goal line with seconds to play.

We trotted out two of the biggest DLs I have ever seen for the goal line stand, and the Marshall crowd audibly gasped and murmured at their size, but they got in for the score with just a couple of seconds left.

Only chance to win was to run the kickoff back, and of course, we had a play for that. Dang near worked too, laterals and great blocking and their crowd went from silent to screaming as our guys got the ball across the 50. That play seemed to take two minutes. They finally got us down and won the game, but walking out, you didn't see a whole lot of celebrating among their fans...much more of a sense of relief...and respect.

One year we beat them, but they went on to win the National Championship. Sherri said "National Champions! How do you like that?"
I said, "We beat you. You're not our national champions." She had nothing to say, but Sherri has the dark eyes that can shoot daggers and she was shooting them at me right then.

I'm hoping that we keep moving up to bigger fish to fry, but I will enjoy this trip down memory lane...as long as we win.

If they win, I'll be getting a call, and I can't shoot daggers with my eyes down a phone line.

I'll be wearing my lucky sweatshirt, which has never seen an App loss while I'm wearing it. 64 degrees this morning in Myrtle. We ready. Let's go!

(TLDR) Go App! Beat Marshall!!!

Last edited by Neer86 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Neer86

Re: Appalachian St at Marshall Game Thread

Unread post by Neer86 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:33 am

all the facts and figures from the athletic department for today's game.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... rshall.pdf

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:35 am

Neer86 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:33 am
all the facts and figures from the athletic department for today's game.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... rshall.pdf
Series: App State leads 14-8 (0-0 both as FBS)
Last meeting: Marshall W, 50-17 (2002)
Last App State win: 10-3 in 1995 (SoCon)

APP STATE STORYLINE

S•App State has returned to being nationally ranked by both the AP Top 25 and Amway Coaches Poll following a 35-20 home victory against Conference USA member Charlotte to open its 2020 season. Next, the Mountaineers travel to face C-USA member and former Southern Conference rival Marshall.

• With Saturday’s game airing on CBS, five of App State’s first six games in 2020 are scheduled to be on national TV. While the Mountaineers have made frequent appearances on ESPN channels, this will be just the second football appearance on CBS — the first occurred against The Citadel in 1983, in the sixth-ever App State football game to be televised.

• Last year, App State became the first Sun Belt team AND the first FBS team in North Carolina history to win 13 games in a season (13-1). Programs in North Carolina have posted an 11-win season at the FBS level a combined 10 times, and App State accounted for three of those in its first six FBS seasons.

kickass143

Unread post by kickass143 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:45 am

Well written Neer86. I really enjoyed reading that post. So far the folks here in Huntington have been unbelievably hospitable and welcoming. I sure hope our guys play well today. The stage is set for more great brand building this afternoon for our App State!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:55 am

Neer86 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:08 am
Let's go Mountaineers! National broadcast audience against an old rival!
3:30 kickoff perfectly suited for tailgating, even if it's at home!
A chance to remain ranked for at least one more week, and maybe even after the Big 10 resumes...

And now, why I'm really into this game. I graduated in 86, spent two years working in Fayetteville, NC, and got transferred to Myrtle Beach. A co-worker helped me find an apartment in her complex, and she became my best friend. She went to Marshall.

So we road tripped to Boone and Huntington for the games and had a blast. My first trip to West Virginia, and it sure was interesting. "Do Not Feed The Bears" signs at rest stops was a bit unnerving.

We went to her family's home in Parkersburg before going to her college roommates' place near Marshall I learned about indigents, marveled at the natural beauty of the state.

Marshall was at the zenith at the time, but we the games between these two teams were always a toss up. I remember one year we had the lead in the last minutes of the game but Marshall had driven to our goal line. with seconds to play.

We trotted out two of the biggest DLs I have ever seen for the goal line stand, and the Marshall crowd audibly gasped and murmured at their size, but they got in for the score with just a couple of seconds left.

Only chance to win was to run the kickoff back, and of course, we had a play for that. Dang near worked too, laterals and great blocking and their crowd went from silent to screaming as our guys got the ball across the 50. That play seemed to take two minutes. They finally got us down and won the game, but walking out, you didn't see a whole lot of celebrating among their fans...much more of a sense of relief...and respect.

One year we beat them, but they went on to win the National Championship. Sherri said "National Champions! How do you like that?"
I said, "We beat you. You're not our national champions." She had nothing to say, but Sherri has the dark eyes that can shoot daggers and she was shooting them at me right then.

I'm hoping that we keep moving up to bigger fish to fry, but I will enjoy this trip down memory lane...as long as we win.

If they win, I'll be getting a call, and I can't shoot daggers with my eyes down a phone line.

I'll be wearing my lucky sweatshirt, which has never seen an App loss while I'm wearing it. 64 degrees this morning in Myrtle. We ready. Let's go!

(TLDR) Go App! Beat Marshall!!!

I’m just looking at the picture you attached and going, wow, number 60 is our starting center and has been for the last 4 years. Guy looks like maybe a tight end. And he’s not just Apps starting center. In my opinion he’s the starting center on the best O line in the G5. Not going to list them but the rushing yards and the sack numbers prove that last statement. Noah Hannon is an amazing football player and an absolute stud!!!!

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:28 am

Best post ever, 86!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:47 am

ALMOST HEAVEN !!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:55 am

watching the Fox game day show, one of the guys pointed out we rushed for 300 yards last week, and both of Marshall's DTs weigh 260. Said we'll control them on the ground and win by 5.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:27 am

Neer86 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:55 am
watching the Fox game day show, one of the guys pointed out we rushed for 300 yards last week, and both of Marshall's DTs weigh 260. Said we'll control them on the ground and win by 5.
I would think he is right for sure. We did that with UNC and SC pretty well and they are much bigger than Marshall.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:46 am

It's Go Time. Let's be 1-0 this week!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:06 pm

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:09 pm

Having trouble with App State Radio broadcast on tune-in. Please post a working link. Thanks.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:10 pm

App State Mania
@AppStateMania
·
13m
BREAKING:
@AppState_FB
kickoff being bumped back to 3:45.

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Neer86 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:10 pm
App State Mania
@AppStateMania
·
13m
BREAKING:
@AppState_FB
Any idea why it’s being pushed back?
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:24 pm

Neer86 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:10 pm
App State Mania
@AppStateMania
·
13m
BREAKING:
@AppState_FB
Thanks for the intel. This La @ GSU game is entertaining.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 pm

wait, is Cam in or out today?

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:33 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 pm
wait, is Cam in or out today?
I didn't want to blabber and I don't know bleep about bleep, but one article I read at some point this past week mentioned him as questionable. I assumed they had him mixed up with Pearson.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:40 pm

whelp...we'll see I guess...

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:41 pm

You all know their is a live game chat option

CornCobPipes