Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Clark Post Game--Marshall

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Clark Post Game--Marshall

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Way too early to be worried

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:56 pm

robherron wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:52 am
Has there been any update or further clarity on the Williams "street clothes" comment?
Just now. Clark basically said that Williams told the trainer he couldn't go (was injured) and the trainer told Clark but Clark didn't hear it.

https://journalnow.com/sports/college/a ... 89a4f.html

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:17 pm

boonetown1 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:02 pm
Kind of wonder if Shawn is too much of a players coach. I thought Satt was a nice blend. this team just seems super undisciplined
Way too early to draw conclusions yet, but I do think Coach Clark might be dealing with the reality that he has to find the balance between being a "players coach" and maintaining discipline and focus. I think SC has everything needed, but

everyone goes through a learning curve....EVERYONE. Last year, if we had played this Marshall team in game 2, we would have lost. No, I can't prove that, but I firmly believe it. Game 3 against UNC was the first game that we looked impressive at all.

We have a brand new OL coach and I am sure Cardwell will become another great one, but he's not there yet. Fortunately, Clark knows how to fix what he saw Saturday and he'll coach the coach to make sure things happen.

There are definitely a lot of things to address, but they are all achievable. It's frustrating folks because it is the second week in a row we're having to say that.

I'm afraid the impact of the Covid quarantine might be impacting us more than some others because of our new coaching staff. Building team chemistry in the off season is really hard via Zoom....not to mention the interaction amongst the coaching staff. For these changes to happen as quickly as we really need, they will have to come from within...meaning we need some of the seniors on this team to take come control of the focus / discipline issues. It was easy to make excuses for sloppy play after the rain soaked game #1 but the excuses are gone now. I really hope we see some intensity this coming week.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:19 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:56 pm
robherron wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:52 am
Has there been any update or further clarity on the Williams "street clothes" comment?
Just now. Clark basically said that Williams told the trainer he couldn't go (was injured) and the trainer told Clark but Clark didn't hear it.

https://journalnow.com/sports/college/a ... 89a4f.html
Ugh! Hate the typo under the photo: UNC Charlotte senior tight end Mike Evans speaks to head coach Shawn Clark in the third quarter of an NCAA football game on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020, at Kidd Brewer Stadium in Boone, N.C. The App State Mountaineers defeated the UNCC 49ers, 35-20. (Allison Lee Isley, Winston-Salem Journal) 091320-wsj-spt-appstate

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:06 pm

One thing that I noticed was either before the opening kickoff or the Second half kickoff, the Marshall team huddled in a tight circle around their coach and were very dialed in it seemed. I remember noticing that because the app sideline was none of that. Players were just wandering around and then the game started. I know that’s not why we lost, but it was interesting to note the stark contrast in teams energy and body language.

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:06 pm
One thing that I noticed was either before the opening kickoff or the Second half kickoff, the Marshall team huddled in a tight circle around their coach and were very dialed in it seemed. I remember noticing that because the app sideline was none of that. Players were just wandering around and then the game started. I know that’s not why we lost, but it was interesting to note the stark contrast in teams energy and body language.

That was one of my issues during the Georgia Southern game last year. I sat behind the southern bench and they were always dialed in and were just more engaged. I remember looking on our sideline and our players looked uninterested.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:21 pm

App_in_Maiden wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:50 pm
Seattleapp wrote:

That was one of my issues during the Georgia Southern game last year. I sat behind the southern bench and they were always dialed in and were just more engaged. I remember looking on our sideline and our players looked uninterested.

We always talk about a player led team.....maybe our leaders need to step it up.

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:28 pm

Woke up Sunday morning and confirm that you feel better after a win than a loss. The sky isn’t falling. Let’s concentrate on the next game. Beat Campbell!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:50 pm
Help me out here - APP has had a lot of really great offensive players - Many All-Americans and guys who played in the pros - I can't remember any of those guys EVER fumbling the ball at an inopportune time??? ;) ;) ;)
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:21 pm
App_in_Maiden wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:50 pm
Seattleapp wrote:

We always talk about a player led team.....maybe our leaders need to step it up.

It was just weird because I noticed it so obviously. I’m all about a workman like approach to games. Being too amped up can backfire but looking quasi disinterested is not ok

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:48 pm

I’m more confused now about the Williams deal. So he was going to basically be the third back option Saturday? Did he dress and try to warm up but get zero snaps in the first half then try to warm up for the second half? Then the trainer told Clark that he was a no go but Clark didn’t hear him then Williams changed into street clothes and Clark didn’t know why because he didn’t hear the trainer? Very confusing.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:52 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:48 pm
I’m more confused now about the Williams deal. So he was going to basically be the third back option Saturday? Did he dress and try to warm up but get zero snaps in the first half then try to warm up for the second half? Then the trainer told Clark that he was a no go but Clark didn’t hear him then Williams changed into street clothes and Clark didn’t know why because he didn’t hear the trainer? Very confusing.

I’m with you. The whole game felt disjointed to be honest. And Clark not knowing why his number one running back isn’t in the actual game much less not dressed out seems pretty unacceptable. Would he notice if Thomas wasn’t out there? I’m only half kidding.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:52 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:48 pm

I’m with you. The whole game felt disjointed to be honest. And Clark not knowing why his number one running back isn’t in the actual game much less not dressed out seems pretty unacceptable. Would he notice if Thomas wasn’t out there? I’m only half kidding.
He just needs to learn his cliches.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6v1m4JKH3AM
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:56 am
Evans dropped a third down conversion pass earlier also but I'm confident he "gave his all".Would Pearson have done better ? No one knows.
They don’t catch Pearson, but then again they may have tried to cover him.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:31 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:00 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:50 pm
Help me out here - APP has had a lot of really great offensive players - Many All-Americans and guys who played in the pros - I can't remember any of those guys EVER fumbling the ball at an inopportune time??? ;) ;) ;)
Ball security is a mindset and effort. I remember back in the day seeing players carrying a FB to class and all over campus during the week because they put it on the carpet in the game prior.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:46 pm

48 hr rule.
Saying SC is over his head or whatever is just crazy at this point. Look, i remember riding home from boone listening to the famous "give a mountaineer a chance" speech. That was my lowest point of APP football, and i was one of the ones for Scott getting gone, I was wrong. But, he did make some major changes after that game, sat some people, burned some shirts, changed some personnel. I do expect to see some changes here-not only was this a bad loss, but a worse look. Play calling is terrible, we were manhandled-we got our asses sandpapered!-we continue to make mental mistakes, (how many false start penalties now?), we look slow and small. Kicking game is embarrassing. No one on here has even mentioned the abortion that was the last 2 minutes of the first half of the UNCC game-clock management.

I am positive that SC is a great coach and will get this worked out, but I do expect to see some changes, addressing some of the issues, maybe some ass chewing. these are not things that are corrected by looking at film, this is a mentality.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:49 am

App91 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:46 pm
48 hr rule.
Saying SC is over his head or whatever is just crazy at this point. Look, i remember riding home from boone listening to the famous "give a mountaineer a chance" speech. That was my lowest point of APP football, and i was one of the ones for Scott getting gone, I was wrong. But, he did make some major changes after that game, sat some people, burned some shirts, changed some personnel. I do expect to see some changes here-not only was this a bad loss, but a worse look. Play calling is terrible, we were manhandled-we got our asses sandpapered!-we continue to make mental mistakes, (how many false start penalties now?), we look slow and small. Kicking game is embarrassing. No one on here has even mentioned the abortion that was the last 2 minutes of the first half of the UNCC game-clock management.

I am positive that SC is a great coach and will get this worked out, but I do expect to see some changes, addressing some of the issues, maybe some ass chewing. these are not things that are corrected by looking at film, this is a mentality.
This is well put! Only a person or two is calling for Clark’s head. That , after only three games, is ridiculous. ( he is 3-1 in those games) BUT, we have shown that there are MANY issues to be addressed. Make changes and perhaps we win some games but should we not correct some of these problems we could LOOSE to Campbell!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:15 am

App91 wrote:
48 hr rule.

I’m not so sure that the ESPN announcers were correct about the end of the first half vs. Charlotte. I think Clark did OK with his clock strategy.

On the first set of downs, we were in our own territory. That is a situation where it is 50/50. Many coaches want to pick up the first down, then employ the two minute offense. But, also want to run enough clock, so they don’t give the opponent the ball back with any clock left. (In the first half, we were struggling to stop Charlotte)

The announcers over-reacted to ZT sliding down in bounds, but if he stays on his feet, he gets leveled. (He also seems to be sliding more to avoid unnecessary contact this year, which is not a bad thing).
After they picked up the initial first down, they had three time outs and time to put together a drive. We moved the ball 58 yards on a 9 play drive in 1:42. While we didn’t call any timeouts, Charlotte called two dead ball time-outs, the clock was stopped for incompletions, plays out of bounds, a defensive penalty, and first downs. The offense moved into position for a malleable FG and we didn’t execute. The announcers over-hyped ZT’s inbounds slide, just like they got stuck on Jerseygate for the opening quarter.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:27 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:15 am
App91 wrote:
48 hr rule.

I’m not so sure that the ESPN announcers were correct about the end of the first half vs. Charlotte. I think Clark did OK with his clock strategy.

On the first set of downs, we were in our own territory. That is a situation where it is 50/50. Many coaches want to pick up the first down, then employ the two minute offense. But, also want to run enough clock, so they don’t give the opponent the ball back with any clock left. (In the first half, we were struggling to stop Charlotte)

The announcers over-reacted to ZT sliding down in bounds, but if he stays on his feet, he gets leveled. (He also seems to be sliding more to avoid unnecessary contact this year, which is not a bad thing).
After they picked up the initial first down, they had three time outs and time to put together a drive. We moved the ball 58 yards on a 9 play drive in 1:42. While we didn’t call any timeouts, Charlotte called two dead ball time-outs, the clock was stopped for incompletions, plays out of bounds, a defensive penalty, and first downs. The offense moved into position for a malleable FG and we didn’t execute. The announcers over-hyped ZT’s inbounds slide, just like they got stuck on Jerseygate for the opening quarter.
In regards to Zac sliding I must admit that I got caught up in that aspect of the game and yelled from my chair for him to “man up” and take someone on once in a while for extra yards. Well on that one play he got absolutely drilled and the ball popped up- did anyone notice how high People’s jumped for the loose ball?! I think I’ll just shut up now and let the guy make his own decisions in regards to whether he gets beheaded out there.

After several days of contemplation I’ve personally returned to adult land. It’s just a damn game. We will be incredibly lucky to even finish the season. Just read that Va Tech doesn’t even have a full roster to play State. I’m sure that there are things behind the scenes that we are not privy to that are impacting practice, coaching and player availability.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:50 am

App91 wrote:
48 hr rule.

Ok - my good buddy - I am going to actually say I agree with you here (in some areas :D ) especially the negative talk of Coach Clark. Both Coach Satterfield's first season and this one had some extenuating circumstances that had to be dealt with - however of this season have to multiple times worse than ANY coach has ever had to deal with - We all know this but we can't just put it aside - Losing Sutton and Anderson were big - the changeover in staff - the no room to grow into winning, it must be immediate, etc.
I may be wrong, but I think most are selling Marshall short - they were good - they have 5 returning OL seniors - they have a star RB (player of the year in the conf last season) - big WRs and a freshman QB with a lot of promise who doesn't have to win all the games with his play.
What surprised me was Marshall's defense - much better than I expected. Especially with us having no deep threats -
I agree with you that I thought the play-calling was very strange - no rhythm, no setting up plays, one jet sweep for 15 yds - never saw it again - no screens to slow the rush - on and on, I am not one to put the blame on our OL - these guys are very good and have won many games but I don't care if you are the KC Chiefs and the defense has more bodies coming than can be blocked your running game is in trouble - and we couldn't stretch the field -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”