Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

TV Ratings

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

TV Ratings

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 am

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/s ... -2020.html

Looks like our game vs Marshall had 1.249m viewers. It’s located under the “Other” section in that link.

I can’t remember how our bowl games have done in the past but I don’t recall them having over a million viewers. Was that the most eyeballs ever on an App State game?
YNWA

HkyMtneer

Re: TV Ratings

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:47 am

God, I sure hope not! :/

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:50 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 am

Looks like our game vs Marshall had 1.249m viewers. It’s located under the “Other” section in that link.

I can’t remember how our bowl games have done in the past but I don’t recall them having over a million viewers. Was that the most eyeballs ever on an App State game?
Probably so, it seems every time we're in the spotlight we crap the bed. Every ####### time!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 pm

"I thought you guys were supposed to be good." I've heard that at least six times this week from people who usually don't even know if App played. Being on CBS got us more eyeballs, unfortunately.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:14 pm

Not ready for primetime yet!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:17 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:50 am
ah59396 wrote:

Probably so, it seems every time we're in the spotlight we crap the bed. Every ####### time!
Come on Man - after a few days on a river in West BY GOD Virginia you shouldn't be so angry ;)
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:28 pm

appst89 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 pm
"I thought you guys were supposed to be good." I've heard that at least six times this week from people who usually don't even know if App played. Being on CBS got us more eyeballs, unfortunately.
I know some on here want to play pretend about how important that game was, but as you noted, the optics matter. A lot of people either watched us for the first time and/or will not see us again for a while. And that’s what they’ll remember.

Anyone that tells you that building a brand doesn’t matter in college football in 2020 is...well.., I’ll have what they’re having.
YNWA

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:33 pm

This was definitely a time where we needed to bring our A game. Let’s all be honest, the bowl games bring in decent ratings, but nothing like having the usual prime SEC slot that we had Saturday. It had been almost what, 40 years since we had been on CBS? Who knows when we will get this chance again.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:50 pm

Yep, I had hyped the game up to friends telling them to watch. I don't know why but I had a bad feeling about that game, same feeling I had sitting in the cold halloween night last season. And my email and phone blew up friends asking me what happened. A piece of humble pie for me.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Everyone had to know this was a major opportunity to shine in the national spotlight. For whatever reason, we didn't make much of that opportunity. Moving forward, I'm hoping we figure out how to convert on 3rd downs, fix our special teams and stop the turnovers. I'm also hoping Marshall is a hellava lot better team than I thought they were going into the game. I was this close to betting on us to cover the spread, which in hindsight should have been a flashing red light since I usually loose bets.

It's a very weird year and the team had to be distracted by the UNCC Covid issue knowing they could have been effected by it....With College kids it doesn't take a lot to distract and a minor distraction in any sport at our level can easily make the difference, so let's not panic yet. Our boys and our coaches need our support now, more than ever.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:31 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:17 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Come on Man - after a few days on a river in West BY GOD Virginia you shouldn't be so angry ;)
The river was very low and I was dodging rocks all day. I was at a water fall and doing a pretty good job of dodging. However, I hit a rock sideways and my kayak tilted slightly to the right and immediately filled with water. Thus, I wasn't as happy as you may think at the time. :) I recovered though. Anyway, I'm not angry now just stating facts.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:46 pm

Bad day to be the nail instead of the hammer. Maybe a number of the viewers had to leave after Virgil's TD catch. Oh well, It's Tuesday. Nothing to do but move on and take it out on Campbell. Also, it's officially Fall in the NC High Country- Can't feel bad about that.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:51 pm

appst89 wrote:
Anyone who doesn't think Saturday didn't put a dent in our reputation is underestimating what being on CBS meant. It certainly doesn't mean we can't revive that but it did diminish us in the eyes of the average college football fan. Unfortunately, we skate on very thin ice.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:51 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:51 pm
appst89 wrote:
Anyone who doesn't think Saturday didn't put a dent in our reputation is underestimating what being on CBS meant. It certainly doesn't mean we can't revive that but it did diminish us in the eyes of the average college football fan. Unfortunately, we skate on very thin ice.
The margins are razor f**king thin between us becoming Boise State or Southern Miss.
YNWA

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:02 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:51 pm
hapapp wrote:
appst89 wrote:
The margins are razor f**king thin between us becoming Boise State or Southern Miss.
Agreed. And this season could be that breaking point.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:08 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:02 pm
ah59396 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
appst89 wrote:
I really think you guys are overplaying this and I hope I am correct - there is just too much going on in our country right now to get overly concerned about what others will think of a football game - As most know, I am an Old Fart and an ex-coach and every year I get through the summers by counting the days until college football begins - I have a cadre of family and friends all over the country who I let know when and where an APP game is on TV - Most just didn't watch and not because they don't pull for APP - My cousin owns a restaurant/bar in Telluride and he always has the APP game on (along with his beloved Tide) but he is extremely worried about his business surviving - not football - That's just one example, I have more but I think you guys get the point - As I said I am always excited for college football to start and I usually watch games during the week and all day and night on Saturdays - So far, I have only watched 2 games in their entirety - both APP games -
This is the craziest year of our life-times and most people just aren't as into sports as they normally would be -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:19 pm

At least we didn’t look as bad as Navy in the BYU game.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:18 am

yosef69 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
appst89 wrote:
That is absolutely absurd. We've won practically everything that we possibly could, and accomplished more than any team ever that moved to FBS in the brief time we have been there. Losing to Marshall or even having a bad year is not going to derail the growth of the program and what has been accomplished.
Last edited by fjblair on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:12 am

WataugaMan wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

This is just dead wrong. 3-0 in 1AA/FCS national championship games, 5-0 in bowl games, 2-0 in conference championship games...several P5 wins and close calls (Auburn, Tenn, Penn St.) Including what many think is greatest upset in CFB history.

I would say when lights shine the brightest App football program has stepped up time and time again. This was just one regular season game, App will have other opportunities on national TV...and when they do, they will win some of them and lose some of them.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:08 pm
yosef69 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
appst89 wrote:
I really think you guys are overplaying this and I hope I am correct - there is just too much going on in our country right now to get overly concerned about what others will think of a football game - As most know, I am an Old Fart and an ex-coach and every year I get through the summers by counting the days until college football begins - I have a cadre of family and friends all over the country who I let know when and where an APP game is on TV - Most just didn't watch and not because they don't pull for APP - My cousin owns a restaurant/bar in Telluride and he always has the APP game on (along with his beloved Tide) but he is extremely worried about his business surviving - not football - That's just one example, I have more but I think you guys get the point - As I said I am always excited for college football to start and I usually watch games during the week and all day and night on Saturdays - So far, I have only watched 2 games in their entirety - both APP games -
This is the craziest year of our life-times and most people just aren't as into sports as they normally would be -
My guess is that was the most eyes that have been on App football game. And, certainly many people other things on their minds these days, most football fans were anxious to see some sports. All the folks that I know that follow college football (and they aren't all App fans) watched the game and have been watching games.

The point is we were been highlighted because of what we have accomplished over the last 5 years and people on the national level had begun to respect our program. For some, this might have been the first serious look they gave us. For some, the reaction likely was "what's the big deal?" One game doesn't destroy what these guys have put together over the last 5 years but it would have allowed us to take one step further up the ladder. No, it doesn't mean all is lost and I don't believe anyone has said that. But, it was a missed opportunity and I don't think that's easily denied.

A Memphis, or a Boise, or a Cincinnati, or a UCF can afford a loss and not disappear from the rankings. We lose and fall almost out of them. It's not about panicking just stating the reality.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”