Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NEZ work today

YOSEFRULES
School: Appalachian State

Re: NEZ work today

Unread post by YOSEFRULES » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:31 am

Exterior pressure washing is generally one of the last things that’s done on the building. None of the brick work has been cleaned yet either so it will look a lot nicer once that’s done. I’m baffled how the brick masons just can’t seem to get done. They are installing seats and the masons are not even done laying the small brick sections below the windows. They appear to only work a day or two each week. At this rate, if they are bricking the columns below it will be another month before they’re done.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:42 am

APPChad90 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:45 pm
Wow. Kind of critical of the look before construction is complete. I mean they are in the build phase not the maintenance phase. Give things a chance, please! I’m sure pressure washing a few walls is not the priority while heavy equipment is navigating the area. Allow them to complete and put a polished look on the NEZ before throwing jabs. That’s just construction, slow, delayed or whatever.

WTH is the blue line along the top of the NEZ building?
Last edited by NewApp on Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:16 am

I literally watched them install my seats yesterday!! My wife is gonna love having a seat back...

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:42 am
Unfinished masonry.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:38 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 am
NewApp wrote:
Unfinished masonry.

YOSEFRULES re: the brick work. Perhaps environmental factors? I just googled "can you lay brick in the rain". The result: "Do not lay bricks in the rain! Also ensure that any fresh brickwork is completely covered from the elements. If brickwork is exposed to water for a prolonged period of time, the risk of leaching, cement residues and efflorescence will increase which can cause an unsightly finish." Maybe they can't lay brick if there's rain in the forecast in the next 24 hours? I don't know...I'm just guessing.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

YOSEFRULES

Unread post by YOSEFRULES » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:17 pm

Brick work lack of progress is not solely because of rain. There have been weeks of great weather with no apparent progress. Could be delays due to COVID-19, who knows but just should have been completed by now compared to progress of the building and other trades.
Having this building partially ready for seating was an unrealistic goal in my opinion but an extra wet year along with the pandemic just destroyed it happening. There never seemed to be any urgency when the weather was good but now that seems to have changed recently.

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:49 pm

Is there a plan to replace or move the old “scoreboard” on the NEZ side to somewhere else? Where is it going to sit once the NEX is done?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:57 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Unfinished masonry.
Diesel, isn't that blue line at least 30 feet up?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appst1992

Unread post by appst1992 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:28 am

Not sure if this has been asked before, so apologies if it has. Does anyone know if they will be installing a net to keep field goals/extra points from going into the NEZ?

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:44 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:57 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Unfinished masonry.
Diesel, isn't that blue line at least 30 feet up?
NA please check the camera, they are working on that section today.
I check it at least 5 times a day.
Bring Your A Game!

APPChad90

Unread post by APPChad90 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:20 am

The only blue line I see is the teal blue siding product that is still exposed from the unfinished brick work and trim around the top. Fortunately, the NEZ camera shows it’s getting some attention this morning and perhaps the blue will be gone by game time.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:51 am

YOSEFRULES wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:17 pm
Brick work lack of progress is not solely because of rain. There have been weeks of great weather with no apparent progress. Could be delays due to COVID-19, who knows but just should have been completed by now compared to progress of the building and other trades.
Having this building partially ready for seating was an unrealistic goal in my opinion but an extra wet year along with the pandemic just destroyed it happening. There never seemed to be any urgency when the weather was good but now that seems to have changed recently.
While I work more on the side of residential construction, I am sure that it also applies to commercial construction. The supply chain is definitely struggling this year. While some sectors of the economy are down, most of the construction sector is experiencing record months and a record year. This goes across new construction, remodeling, etc.

With the increased demand, the industry has experienced plant shutdowns due to COVID that have slowed down the ability to produce products. Plus, anything sourced from Overseas has been greatly impacted. Through in a general labor shortage due to a combination of the lack of skilled workers and an unemployment program that encouraged many not to work + the impact of the hurricanes on supplies coming out of the Gulf Coast and many projects are not staying on schedule.

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:56 pm

Since we don’t have any games for the next couple weeks, the only thing bringing me excitement for football is watching the NEZ slowly come to completion. Seems they have picked up speed in the past couple weeks.
Looks like they have one more pillar to finish bricking, have put up the railings in the front and sides, are about to brick the ticket booths out front, are currently pouring concrete for the parking lot/plaza AND have finally covered up that teal color up top!
However they have yet to put in seats on the far right side or down in the first 2 rows on the left. I would expect those to be installed at some point unless someone knows something else.
I guess the only positive from the covid outbreak on the team is that it could be finished (on the outside) by the time we have our next home game.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:08 pm

I won’t be sitting there but do y’all think the views are good from those seats?

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:31 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:08 pm
I won’t be sitting there but do y’all think the views are good from those seats?
My freshman year (in 1988), our WASU football broadcasts were from the Porch of Owens Field House (we had to walk through the Yosef Hospitality Room with our equipment). It was a very hard broadcast, as you could not judge down and distance in any manner.

On the flip side, you could watch the offenses and defenses line up and the plays develop.

1. Having an HD scoreboard to view during the game will enhance the view from the NEZ seats.
2. The NEZ seats are much closer to the field than the porch at Owens.

I prefer my seats from the top row in the East Grandstand. However, with hospitality options and being close to the field, the NEZ should offer a good view of the game (and the option of catching a wide right or wide left Field Goal attempt by the opposing kicker)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:43 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
I think that they are good. I also think that they offer a great perspective for those that cerebral about the game. It gives you a full field perspective that allows you to see the game through the film lense.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:08 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:43 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
I think that they are good. I also think that they offer a great perspective for those that cerebral about the game. It gives you a full field perspective that allows you to see the game through the film lense.
That’s a great perspective. I’ve always wanted to watch a game on TV and see the receivers running routes. Although you lose out on the traditional view it would be nice to know if that position is effective

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:21 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:08 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:43 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
That’s a great perspective. I’ve always wanted to watch a game on TV and see the receivers running routes. Although you lose out on the traditional view it would be nice to know if that position is effective
I, myself prefer to be in the emotional mix of the crowd. But I prefer to watch hockey from behind the goal. You can see everyone on the ice moving with specificity. I also prefer watching baseball from behind home plate for the same reason.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:56 pm

I prefer the end zone, you can see the play developing better from there. And yes, I do have tickets in NEZ.
Bring Your A Game!

APPChad90

Unread post by APPChad90 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:13 pm

During the final phases of construction of what is now Bank Of America Stadium, I had the opportunity to choose my PSL seats based on availability and of course budget in person with a tour. It was pointed out by the sales agent that the owner Jerry Richardson, chose to have his box above the end zone because as a former player, he wanted the vantage point of viewing plays as they developed. Thus, I followed suit and chose to be in row 5 section 102 which was just off the goalpost. Until 2020, I never missed a preseason, regular or postseason game because I loved my view and my Panthers. Yes, depth perception is a challenge but the trade off were immeasurable. I was literally able to see plays develop, holes open, and call where the ball “should” go in advance. In addition, see amazing goal line stands, hear the field interaction,
and of course witness the amazing feats of Steve Smith and Cam Newton up close. What I learned quick when the ball or play was going away from our end was to of course watch the play live, then watch the big screen for the replay to not miss a thing. So obviously end zone is a different perspective, but I think NEZ seat owners will obviously love the unique view and obvious amenities. Sadly, the Panthers had me choose new seats this year due to adding the end zone bunker suites but that’s another story. Also, we actually got 3 game balls over the years and made the cover of the Charlotte Observer and USA Today.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”