Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Will we ever be okay again?

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: Will we ever be okay again?

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:52 am

Lord have mercy just look at the college football landscape right now. Is UNC really the number 5 best team? Would they beat Ohio state, Michigan or PSU? Who knows. Is OU and Texas that bad? Is LSU that bad? Some folks act like the entire football process is normal and that even in Boone we should be humming along. Like what was mentioned, new coach for the 3rd straight season (what other school is in that boat?), practices cancelled and meetings done on Zoom, games postponed or cancelled. Opponents scheduled like a few weeks in advance. Home games played in front of nobody. Key players opting out or gone pro. Damn I feel for every coach right now.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:14 am

It is a bit premature to panic yet but what happens if we can't get the Ark State game in? Have we even begun to practice for the Ark State game a week away? One wonders how effective we will be if we go a whole month without playing. If we don't play StAte, our next game is on Halloween at ULM.

AppGrad1

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:27 am

If you read game day threads many say the same thing as the op said. He/she just did it on another day.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:00 am

At the end of the day we should be okay. In the meantime, we seem to be to be trying to put a square peg into a round hole offensively (in laymen terms that is).

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:06 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:57 am
“I’m ok , you’re ok “
from the 70’s huh
Bring Your A Game!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Let me be clear: my original post has next to nothing to do with the Marshall loss (but we did look bad). My concern has much more to do with the financial impact of this season on our athletic program. We are in fact loosing a lot of money because of the attendance restrictions. If the P5s move (as it look like they will) to a 10-game conference schedule going forward, that will mean fewer big "payday" games.

I'm worried about what 78 confirmed COVID cases on the football team says about discipline (a concern that goes back to last December's bowl game).

I'm worried about being ready for the Arkansas St. game.

I'm worried about loosing players to the transfer portal at the end of the season.

I'm worried about season ticket sales next year and attendance outside the UNC game going forward.

I'm worried about what an improving UNCC and GA St. will have on our recruiting going forward.

I'm worried about a fanbase that thinks we are "the Boise State of the east". They have three BSC/NY6 bowl wins to their name (three more than Notre Dame). Have we even beaten a ranked opponent since the move up?

I'm worried about a fanbase that says "anytime, anywhere". When they really mean: so long as we always play six home games, get a home-and-home with any G5 and bottom half of the P5.

I'm not trolling or saying the sky is falling. But the FBS is littered with examples of teams that had a few good year and faded. I'm not suggesting that we have a bandwagon fanbase, but looking at posts over the last several years I sense a lot of entitled and unrealistic fans who I'm not sure are ready for 8-4 and 7-5 seasons.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:26 pm

You sure do worry a lot.😄

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:30 pm

A wise man once said, "Don't Worry Be Happy"!!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:36 pm

Just worry about scientists/someone getting the virus under control - all other things will eventually work out - nothing going to get better before then
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Losing seasons per coach

1980-2019
Drink 0
Satt 1
Jerry Moore 1
Sparky 1
Mack 0
Working 2

So far that is 40 ish years of football with 5 losing seasons.

Brakerfield 3
Messere 1
Duncan 0
Brietenstein 0
Broome 2
Duggins 1
Mull 0
Stewart 0
Hoover 1
Feathers 0
Watkins 1
Brewer 0
Garbee 1
Johnson 0
Eggers 1

That is from 1928 to 1979
11 losing seasons

From 1928 to 2019 we have 16 losing seasons. That is 91 seasons.......

How many programs can say that 82% of their seasons are winning seasons?

Short term yes, we have taken a hit. Losing to Marshall on the big time hurt us. Long term? There are other things out of our control that may hurt us long term with the P5 conferences and the NCAA breaking up.

Are we ok? I feel like there is an 82% chance we will be just fine.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Nothing we can do about the situation at this point. Right now it looks like we've been lucky to have any games this year. A very weird year to be sure; let's just hope we are able to play the remaining games on the schedule logging as many Ws as possible. Get through this year as best we can and start clean next year.

Donate money to the school and to the program if you can because both will be in dire need of support for some time to come.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:56 pm

I thought this was going to be a COVD post and couldn’t wait to say, yes, yes, yes, we will absolutely be ok again. Seeing that it was a post about the state of or football team just makes me scratch my head.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:23 pm

BBQ.

That's my contribution to this thread.
Give 'em hell!

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:07 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:12 pm
Let me be clear: my original post has next to nothing to do with the Marshall loss (but we did look bad). My concern has much more to do with the financial impact of this season on our athletic program. We are in fact loosing a lot of money because of the attendance restrictions. If the P5s move (as it look like they will) to a 10-game conference schedule going forward, that will mean fewer big "payday" games.

I'm worried about what 78 confirmed COVID cases on the football team says about discipline (a concern that goes back to last December's bowl game).

I'm worried about loosing players to the transfer portal at the end of the season.

I'm worried about season ticket sales next year and attendance outside the UNC game going forward.

I'm worried about what an improving UNCC and GA St. will have on our recruiting going forward.

I'm worried about a fanbase that thinks we are "the Boise State of the east". They have three BSC/NY6 bowl wins to their name (three more than Notre Dame). Have we even beaten a ranked opponent since the move up?

I'm worried about a fanbase that says "anytime, anywhere". When they really mean: so long as we always play six home games, get a home-and-home with any G5 and bottom half of the P5.

I'm not trolling or saying the sky is falling. But the FBS is littered with examples of teams that had a few good year and faded. I'm not suggesting that we have a bandwagon fanbase, but looking at posts over the last several years I sense a lot of entitled and unrealistic fans who I'm not sure are ready for 8-4 and 7-5 seasons.

1. I agreed 100% with your first paragraph. Absolute garbage what they state is doing to us.

2. I disagree with your last 4. Which is fine, we don't all have to agree...but do you realize over our last 13 seasons of full eligibility (not including our 2 transition seasons and post season bans in 13/14) we've won 3 fcs national titles, 11 conference titles, 5-0 in bowl games and 10 double digit win seasons? We have the 2nd best winning percentage of any g5 team all time (after Boise). We are real. Just my 2 cents.

3. Maybe I'm out of the loop but I pray you are telling the truth that we have 78 positive covid cases. I'm not sure thats real....but if so we should be elated. That means our team is almost done with this crap. Would bode very well for us going forward instead of 10 different players getting it every week.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:59 pm

Tatedc wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:07 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:

1. I agreed 100% with your first paragraph. Absolute garbage what they state is doing to us.

2. I disagree with your last 4. Which is fine, we don't all have to agree...but do you realize over our last 13 seasons of full eligibility (not including our 2 transition seasons and post season bans in 13/14) we've won 3 fcs national titles, 11 conference titles, 5-0 in bowl games and 10 double digit win seasons? We have the 2nd best winning percentage of any g5 team all time (after Boise). We are real. Just my 2 cents.

3. Maybe I'm out of the loop but I pray you are telling the truth that we have 78 positive covid cases. I'm not sure thats real....but if so we should be elated. That means our team is almost done with this crap. Would bode very well for us going forward instead of 10 different players getting it every week.
The 78 number comes straight from the University's COVID tracking dashboard. I'm not in anyway claiming to be in the loop.

Do you disagree with my point about Bosie St.?

Would you be willing to give up a home game to play at Central Florida/BYU/Houston/Cincinnati... (I would).

Have we beaten a ranked team since our move to FBS?

I never suggested we'd have loosing seasons. I just wonder how our fanbase will react to Montgomery (again) or Mobile (again) or Conway (a few times). We did get tired of New Orleans quickly.

Money is an issue here. And I think our fanbase thinks we should be in a better conference. Maybe so, buy the Belt looked pretty good week one v. the Big 12.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:02 pm

If we can get Arky under our belt with a W , all this just might play out in our favor.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Anyone who is searching for misery will likely find it.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:14 pm

Looks like we’re doing fine...

For those of you that are lazy, we are 33rd in total social media interaction based on September data across Twitter, IG, Facebook.

Wedged between Baylor and Boston College and one of the very few G5 teams in the top 50.

YNWA

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:47 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:59 pm
Tatedc wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

The 78 number comes straight from the University's COVID tracking dashboard. I'm not in anyway claiming to be in the loop.

Would you be willing to give up a home game to play at Central Florida/BYU/Houston/Cincinnati... (I would).

I never suggested we'd have loosing seasons. I just wonder how our fanbase will react to Montgomery (again) or Mobile (again) or Conway (a few times). We did get tired of New Orleans quickly.

Money is an issue here. And I think our fanbase thinks we should be in a better conference. Maybe so, buy the Belt looked pretty good week one v. the Big 12.
Unless the scheduling/finance changes Post-COVID, no I would not give up a Home Game to play at Central Florida/BYU/Houston/Cinci.

Why? Because we don't currently give up a home game to play against ACC and SEC competition. In fact, we negotiate home and home, home/neutral vs. two homes or two for ones. Why would we give up a home game to play against an AAC or Independent program?

Would I (and it's not my call) give up a home game for a drivable neutral site game against one of those teams? I might consider it on a one-off basis.

I don't know that many think we should be in a better conference. Many desire to be in a better conference (because the Exposure + TV and Conference Money would be better)

Is the Sun Belt improving as a Football Conference? Yes
Why are they improving? Because Appalachian State and to a lesser (much?) extent, Georgia Southern elevated the conference by joining it.
Did the Sun Belt look good is Week 1? Yes. But, we need to keep in mind that it is in a COVID year where all players are not playing, stands are not full, and many other factors are out there that will make this an asterisk year for all programs, good or bad.

Will we lose some players to the transfer protocol? Probably. But, so will most schools, especially with the more liberal transfer rules. Also, the number of returning seniors is going to affect the natural progression of playing time. In some cases, a D1 program may not want all of their eligible, interested seniors to return, because they may prefer to get their recruits on the field. We won't know how this affects our program until the end of the season.

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:51 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:59 pm
Tatedc wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

No I don't disagree with what you said about Boise. Boise is the 1 non power 5 who is definitively stronger of a program than us. They are the best. Pure and simple. I dont anyone would refute that. Yeah money is an issue...but we have just been killing it. We are 6 years into FBS and its just unreal how good we've been and our potential. Yeah we don't have a ranked win but neither does Utah since 2015. But we took Penn State and Tennessee to the brink. You need to have a slightly larger lense...your devastation is not relatable.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”