Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

“The Sunbelt game of the year”

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
CVAPP
School: Appalachian State

Re: “The Sunbelt game of the year”

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:22 am

I am glad to see CCU having some success, but like LaLa, they are yet to win a game against us. That might change this season, but I am far from convinced it will.

I think last night's crew took advantage of an opportunity to talk about two SB teams not named App State. Although I kept waiting to hear them praise us, I found it oddly refreshing that they didn't. We need more SB teams getting some love.

That was a really good Wednesday night game either way. Perhaps the best we will see this year.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:24 am

fjblair wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:20 am
Seems like we have't played in ages. I have no idea what we're going to look like when we play again.
Hopefully a lot better than our first three games! There's a lot being said and bulletin board material out there currently which should serve to motivate our team.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:47 am

I'll concede Coastal has been more impressive than us so far this year. That said, I don't believe in totally discounting past results this early in the season. And the fact is they've never even qualified for a bowl game, much less won the conference (and they've had some fast starts before). So forgive me if I reserve judgment before just handing them the trophy in October.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:54 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:54 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:39 pm
“Of the week “
Oh, ok. I didn’t rewind or anything, but I would’ve sworn they said “of the year” too. That makes me feel better though. This game is very reminiscent of our first UL game last year.
Old expression they have used on TV to slow down the hype. LOL

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:03 am

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:46 pm
I found that a bit disrespectful.
Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:25 am

Both teams looked solid and it was a very entertaining game. Fact is App hasn't looked great and both of those teams were undefeated with P5 wins. Right now App has to get past all the Covid noise and win an important game against a good ArkSt team. App finishes with a murders row of games but by that time hopefully the App machine will be rolling. To be fair, they did point out ArkSt's record against App and against the rest of the Belt the last two years.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:00 pm

SpeedkingATL wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:25 am
Both teams looked solid and it was a very entertaining game. Fact is App hasn't looked great and both of those teams were undefeated with P5 wins. Right now App has to get past all the Covid noise and win an important game against a good ArkSt team. App finishes with a murders row of games but by that time hopefully the App machine will be rolling. To be fair, they did point out ArkSt's record against App and against the rest of the Belt the last two years.
You meant UL, I believe instead of StAte.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:06 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:47 am
I'll concede Coastal has been more impressive than us so far this year. That said, I don't believe in totally discounting past results this early in the season. And the fact is they've never even qualified for a bowl game, much less won the conference (and they've had some fast starts before). So forgive me if I reserve judgment before just handing them the trophy in October.
I certainly don't think anyone is handing them the trophy but they have now beaten a top 20 (something we haven't done as an FBS program) and Big 12 team (granted it was Kansas). So, at this point they deserve the plaudits they are getting. But, like us they still have some big games ahead that last night's win doesn't guarantee they win. And as you say, while last night's opponents are being touted as the league's best, neither has ever beaten us. For now though, they are November and December concerns. The only game that matters now is the StAte contest.
Last edited by hapapp on Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:08 pm

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion but folks who keep saying that App hasn’t looked good are really being way too critical especially considering the circumstances. We beat what really isn’t an awful Charlotte team, in crappy weather by 15. We were really in control. Game was played in the rain, with a new staff, after jacked up practices in an empty stadium. A wee bit of slack here. Admittedly we sucked on offense at Marshall but again they ain’t horrible and were at home. Unless many have forgotten we had a crapload of guys out for Campbell who again, isn’t horrible for an FCS team. We crushed them. Would I have liked to seen better results at Marshall? Hell yes. But the sample size is way too limited. A one loss season last year with another conference championship and bowl win and the close win over Charlotte was long forgotten.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:20 pm

fjblair wrote:
Seems like we haven't played in ages. I have no idea what we're going to look like when we play again.
Due to the postponements leading to long layovers between games, I have reduced my expectations for the team. I hope I'm wrong but IMO, it's going to be difficult for the team to overcome the interruptions. I guess on the plus side, any injured players have had time to heal up over the past several weeks.

As for SB game of the year, I have no problem giving that to CCU v ULLLLLLLL up to this point in the season. The SB east seems to be setting itself up as one of the top 3 G5 divisions in the country with GaSt and CCU looking improved so far. Not sure what's going on at Troy but if the Trojans can step it up, I'd put our division up against any other G division in the country. If another team in the west could step up and join UL and stAte, the SB could surpass the MWC and solidify the #2 spot.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:23 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:08 pm
Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion but folks who keep saying that App hasn’t looked good are really being way too critical especially considering the circumstances. We beat what really isn’t an awful Charlotte team, in crappy weather by 15. We were really in control. Game was played in the rain, with a new staff, after jacked up practices in an empty stadium. A wee bit of slack here. Admittedly we sucked on offense at Marshall but again they ain’t horrible and were at home. Unless many have forgotten we had a crapload of guys out for Campbell who again, isn’t horrible for an FCS team. We crushed them. Would I have liked to seen better results at Marshall? Hell yes. But the sample size is way too limited. A one loss season last year with another conference championship and bowl win and the close win over Charlotte was long forgotten.
Perhaps, but our two victories are over teams with a combined 1-6 record. Given the circumstances, its not the start we might have anticipated. But, given the circumstances things could be worse. The StAte game is crucial on some many fronts given how Coastal has played and the fact that we have been off the practice field for three weeks before yesterday. One would think that we will have a lot of motivation going into that game to show that we are still the team to beat.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:42 pm

This season has been so unusual. Our guys have yet to show full potential. Once we get going I think we shall be fine. I've not seen a team yet, other than Clemson and Bama that can beat App State when we are hitting on 8 cylinders in all three phases.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 pm

We need to get our act together. We have not looked good as a complete team so far this season. I don't want to make excuses for why we have not performed well as many other teams have also confronted similar circumstances. Let's not say we didn't because it rained or this or that. We now have had even more disruption to our practice and game schedule so that doesn't help. At this point, we do not look as good as either Coastal or UL. I believe we have the team that can put it together but only time will tell. We need to practice and play and develop some continuity.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Hate to say this But this is a throwaway year.....

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm

Which team never to beat App gets over the hump this year:

- ULL
- CCU
- GA St
- Texas St

I’ll say a minimum of one, but likely two. CCU is a must win, I don’t see them losing more than one conference game and we’ll need the tie breaker.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:58 pm

Every other "game of the year" = two best teams in the conference square off in a gridiron battle!

2020 "game of the year" = whatever two conference foes with enough non-quarantine players available to suit up that day.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:36 am

fjblair wrote:
Seems like we have't played in ages. I have no idea what we're going to look like when we play again.
Methinks we need to be laid back in our expectations. This start-stop-restart stuff will likely come with a few hiccups at inopportune times!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:05 am

I heard the "game of the year" comment and had the same knee jerk reaction that most folks on here had. "That feeling passed pretty quickly though. Let's face it...these guys have to talk and fill time and their job is to promote the game they are broadcasting. We really shouldn't get all hurt by the fact that two teams not called App State were involved in a SunBelt "Big Game." At the end of the year, it could prove to be a correct statement, but anyone who declares a "Game of the Year" in the first 1/3 of the season is clearly just talking. Relax.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:13 am

It certainly was the game of the year to this point.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Despite the loss Napier is an excellent coach. I can see him perhaps at South Carolina next year , or somewhere similar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”