Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Marshall keeps rolling!!! Could be their NY6 year.

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Marshall keeps rolling!!! Could be their NY6 year.

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:08 pm

If they "aren't any good " , we are in bad shape.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:18 pm

Well I didn't attend the games on any regular basis until '98 so I didn't see what you speak about but I have a hard time believing anyone could be worse than GaSo much less make them look like angels - But I wasn't there --- seems as if no APP fans had any problem this year - I will NEVER EVER go to another game in Statesboro -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:24 pm

As always - an AAC with 1 loss or possibly even 2 will go ahead of Marshall even if undefeated -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:16 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:38 pm
If we get our act together and run the table....Marshall controls the NY6. AAC are going to beat up on each other. Marshall needs to keep winning like they are winning and we need to "walk the dog" on the sunbelt and they will be in.
Actually, Cincinnati controls the NY6 at this point but it is way too early to say anyone controls it because so much can happen. Lets see how the rest of this month and November goes before we crown anyone as the front runner for sure. We see a lot of front runners go down in November every year.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:17 pm

Marshall's DBs were better than our WRs!!! Their front seven dominated us. They had two weeks to prepare for this game and they executed their game plan almost flawlessly.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:24 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:27 am
Marshall just isn't that good, there is now way I believe that they can run the table. Hell, Charlotte and a FCS school scored more on us than Marshall did. They aren't any good. They beat us because we were that much worse that day. We have a tendency as App fans to build up every team that beats us and think they must be really good. Sometimes it is justified, it is not with Marshall. The beat us be they aren't any good.
Marshall is pretty good though. I don't think they should be ranked, yet, but it is still early. They just can't slip against a CUSA team to have a NY6 shot. They did beat us so we have to give them respect. We made a lot of mistakes and we are not playing like anyone who should be ranked but luckily if Marshall keeps winning and we don't lose then we can get back in the NY6 hunt by end of season, if we finish this year. We have the talent to be in the hunt but will have to play a lot better. I hope Marshall wins CUSA so our loss is viewed as one to a good team instead of being labeled as a bad loss at the end of the year.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:46 pm

We’re going to find out Wednesday night which team is better — Louisiana or Coastal Carolina.

After watching both teams, I’m puzzled why some people are sleeping on Coastal. Grayson McCall looks like the best quarterback we’ll face this season.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:24 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:46 pm
We’re going to find out Wednesday night which team is better — Louisiana or Coastal Carolina.

After watching both teams, I’m puzzled why so people are sleeping on Coastal. Grayson McCall looks like the best quarterback we’ll face this season.
I think it takes people a while in general to accept things. Sun Belt has been at least the 3rd best G5 league for the last 3 years but it took beating the Big 12 to really get the attention. One AP voter last year said App looked good but in the worst FBS league when the MAC has been the worst league for a while. The reason for labeling the MAC as better is because in the 2000s it was but that has changed.

CCU is a real good team this year. It will be interesting to see who wins that game. I think you could argue either team. Unless one of us falls apart I feel like the SBC has 3 top 50 teams this year and that is great for the league. I hope the winner of this game goes undefeated outside of their game against us. We need the SBC to have a showdown between two teams receiving votes or ranked again this year.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Marshall beat us. They deserve that respect.
Did they have a lot to do with it, yes.
Could we have played better, yes. Is that on us, yes. But we didn't play well enough.

We were out a few players but if we want to be considered Top-25, and I do, we have to figure out a way to win in that situation. I don't want to use that as an excuse. We got outplayed, period.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:24 pm

Marshall fans are not worse then GSU, more pompous yes, more classness, no.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:01 am

We get to find out how good Marshall is in the coming weeks as the Herd takes on LaTech and FAU, currently #1 in the west and #2 in the east of CUSA. Marshall's schedule, like most years, handicaps them especially with no A5 game. They lost a key game against Boise and ECU got postponed, not that ECU really helps from SOS standpoint but beating 2 teams from the top 2 G5 conferences would've looked better than playing EKU. They must win out and do so convincingly, while hoping the AAC teams beat up on each other and Boise drops at least 1 in the MWC.

Marshall has a solid D and good RB behind a senior laden OL. To me, that's a strong formula for success. I'm not completely sold on Wells at QB as our defense made him look pedestrian without much pressure in his face.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:03 pm

Sorry, folks...this old dog will NEVER EVER pull for the Thundering Turd to win anything.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:03 pm
Sorry, folks...this old dog will NEVER EVER pull for the Thundering Turd to win anything.
I understand why you say that but this year we really need them to be a very good team who loses just 1-2 games if we win out and hope to get in NY6. If SMU or Cincy has 1 loss to the other team and they are both ranked then they would certainly get in over us if our only loss was to a 4-5 loss Marshall team. We need them to lose 1 or 2 games but can't afford for them to fall apart or else our SOS will take a huge hit.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:07 pm

I'm with Bootsy!!! Don't care about NY6 if it means pulling for Marshall. If we can't get in on our own merits, then so be it.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:50 pm

Turds roll again.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:06 pm

I think Marshall has scored over 30 on everyone except us and those who thought the Eastern Kentucky game didn’t mean much.....Troy squeaked by today.

Marshall rolls again.....they have a good team.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:56 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:50 am

I come from a different place than most all of you where Marshall is concerned so I don't understand the hate some of you have for them?
That's because you have no clue about the guff The Appalachian Family has taken from MU types over the years. My wife's a Huntington native and MU is her WV family's alma mater going back at least three generations. The WV side of the family still doesn't cut her much slack even though her parents moved to Winston-Salem when she was just three-months old. She just laughs it off and gives it right back to 'em. W-S has always been hometown to her. She's a 3 x App State grad and d*** proud of it.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:16 am

asu66 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:56 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:50 am

I come from a different place than most all of you where Marshall is concerned so I don't understand the hate some of you have for them?
That's because you have no clue about the guff The Appalachian Family has taken from MU types over the years. My wife's a Huntington native and MU is her WV family's alma mater going back at least three generations. The WV side of the family still doesn't cut her much slack even though her parents moved to Winston-Salem when she was just three-months old. She just laughs it off and gives it right back to 'em. W-S has always been hometown to her. She's a 3 x App State grad and d*** proud of it.
Well 66, I see what you are saying and it makes since - I know Marshall grads and WVU grads and they don't hold much love for one another - I was accepted to both but I went to neither so to me they are both teams from West Virginia - The main reason I made the point about being in a different place was that one of my high school coaches, Jim Moss (a star at WV) was on the plane that crashed was an Ass't Coach with the Herd - He kind of took me under his wing, gave me hell, made me a better player - also a kid from my area was on the plane as well. Extremely sad when I heard the news that night - I still have never watched the movie --- I'm Just coming from a different view.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:42 am

All this West Virginia and football talk reminded me of an incident a few years back. Some friends and I were attending The Annual "Snake Feed" in Moorefield, WV (always held second Saturday in January). One of my younger friends invited a friend of his from Florida who happened to be somewhat of a jerk. It was the year Florida beat West Virginia in a bowl game, and the idiot from Florida wore a Florida shirt to the event. Anyway, the band was playing and in comes the guy from Florida with that shirt on. Clyde, the man signing with the band in the video, stopped signing and immediately said, "someone get a rope", LOL. RIP Clyde we miss you:

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:07 pm
I'm with Bootsy!!! Don't care about NY6 if it means pulling for Marshall. If we can't get in on our own merits, then so be it.
I know what you mean but because of how the SBC is seen it would help us big time if they have a very good year. It looks good for Marshall, CCU, and Louisiana to all be in the polls since they are on our schedule.

If I was voting in the AP Poll I would not vote for any of them quite yet though. I would like to see how those Big Ten and Pac-12 teams most think are possible top 25 look before I would drop them or these 2-2 SEC teams for Louisiana, CCU, or Marshall so far though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”