Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Dale Jones Appreciation Thread

NavyApp
School: Appalachian State

Dale Jones Appreciation Thread

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:15 am

First I would like to start of by being honest and saying I was not thrilled when Dale Jones was hired. Also I am still very hesitant as I am typing this. With that said what I saw last night was a Master Class performance from our Defensive Coordinator. We held a high octane offense that came into the game EN FEUGO through the air to 295 passing yards, no passing TDs, 2 ints. In the first half it really looked like he was giving each QB their own look and it was confusing them, the second half anytime momentum was trying to swing their way the heat was turned all the way up. What blew me away the most was the series after the onside kick. It was as if Dale Jones was offended his D had to go back out on the field, they down right punished Ark St for the onside kick. They literally had zero chance to do anything positive on that drive. By the end of the game when the cameras would pan to Bonner and Hatcher on the bench they shared the same look "coach don't make me go back out there". Our D flat out took their heart last night and it was great to watch. Yeah I know Adams had a bunch of yards but they were empty calories in my book, all catch and tackles nothing running free and nothing in that painted area. Also in the red zone our D turned two of the best WR in college football into ghosts, heck Green was a non factor for the whole game! Again I know it's just one game but I was very impressed with the game plan and play calling on the defensive side of the ball. Oh and Mr. Jones if you are reading this (I know you are not) you have now set the bar for how I will judge your D, great show last night!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Yosef84

Re: Dale Jones Appreciation Thread

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:20 am

I have to admit that I was a little concerned about Jones as the DC. I know he knows the game and believed that the situation was better suited for his skills than his previous stint as DC. That said, I was only cautiously optimistic. After 4 games, especially last night's performance, I have to say that I am VERY happy with the job that Dale Jones has done. We lost a ton of defensive talent from last year's squad and he has this year's D playing very well. Thank you, Coach!

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:20 am

Defense was absolutely solid last night. I wasn’t pleased with the big throws we gave up, but when it came time to it, they pinned their ears back and made plays when they were needed. This Ark State team had an explosive offense and we were able to shut them down. As great as the offense played, game ball goes to the defense in my opinion. I loved the pressure we were able to get on the qbs.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:21 am

Completely agree on the entire defensive performance. This was a team that was averaging 37 pts a game and had announcers pumping up the 2 qb’s stats as dark horse Heisman candidate numbers last week. We owned them last night and held them to 3 tds under that. NEGATIVE rushing yards in the first half. Hell, Ark St wasn’t ever really in the game after the first quarter. Absolutely dominant performance.
Give 'em hell!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:29 am

I'm not trying to take away from our defense, because they played great. However, Arkansas State's offensive line was just awful. App was getting QB pressure rushing three men, and any time they rushed more than 3, App almost always made some sort of contact with the QB. We have a very good defensive line, but when you get QB pressure only sending 3, that's because they have a bad offensive line.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:46 am

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:29 am
I'm not trying to take away from our defense, because they played great. However, Arkansas State's offensive line was just awful. App was getting QB pressure rushing three men, and any time they rushed more than 3, App almost always made some sort of contact with the QB. We have a very good defensive line, but when you get QB pressure only sending 3, that's because they have a bad offensive line.
I will agree that their OLine is not great, but the pressure we applied last night was impressive. Here is the sacks-hurries-tfl break down game by game for ark st:

Memphis-3 sacks 4 hurries, 5 tfl
Kansas st-3 sacks 2 hurries, 5 tfl
Coastal-3 sacks 4 hurries, 6 tfl
C. ark- 1 sack 0 hurries, 4 tfl
Georgia St-4 sack, 0 hurries, 7 tfl
App-6 sack, 4 hurries, 12 tfl

Our numbers really pop off the screen.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:38 am

It was a very intense effort from both sides of the ball - damn glad to see. Continue like his and we can run table. The layoff allowed for the necessary adjustments be made. I noticed a lot of their players limping, we brought hurt to them. The same team that beat a power 5 week 1
Our defense is noticeably quicker than Coastal, ULL, and Georgia Southern, from what I have watched. Going into last night I was pretty down on our preparation, lack of intensity, errors, and bone headed penalties. Just joking, maybe Covid brought us a cure?
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but our kick off coverage isn't very good, so why not kick the ball into the end zone and let our defense stop them - looks like they've rounded the corner, or can we not? 95% of opponents returns seem to get past the 25 anyway.
I've seen enough of DJ over the years, to say not so fast my friend, but last night was an improvement. I'd say we'd have beaten Marshall last night with that EFFORT from BOTH sides of the ball.
Other questions that have nothing to do with DJ, Why leave ZT in the game late to get a freak injury? Why take our foot off the gas on some series...like the last 48 seconds which would have been good game practice for a possible scenario later against a tougher opponent? and the 3rd quarter running straight into 6 defenders several plays in a row, that only Herschal Walker could have made positive gain?... helped Arky making a game of it again?
Bottom line is last night was APP Football - they proved the doubt out of me.
BLACK SATURDAY

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:42 am

The flip side to “their offensive line looked awful” argument is that our really good defense made them look awful. We brought more pressure from blitzes than I can recall ever seeing. I think we brought 8 guys a few times. The bulk of the run yards they got was late when the white flag went up. When we are up 3 scores in the 4th quarter I couldn’t care less about garbage yards allowed. There should be a stat called- yards allowed before the game is decided! I thought Meech looked slow and out of shape in the first 3 games but he was back to a beast last night. Jolly didn’t look good early either but man we have to be rusty in spots. It’s obvious that Clark won’t tolerate putting the ball on the ground. Williams had the one big run, coughed it up and was done for the night. Ark was rolling a safety over onto Henni all night so the others had to get open and they did. Zac’s TD run was crazy. If we can stay COVID free we will be tough to beat. The team I saw last night could have been interesting up in Wisconsin. Man I hope the seniors come back next year.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:45 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:38 am
It was a very intense effort from both sides of the ball - damn glad to see. Continue like his and we can run table. The layoff allowed for the necessary adjustments be made. I noticed a lot of their players limping, we brought hurt to them. The same team that beat a power 5 week 1
Our defense is noticeably quicker than Coastal, ULL, and Georgia Southern, from what I have watched. Going into last night I was pretty down on our preparation, lack of intensity, errors, and bone headed penalties. Just joking, maybe Covid brought us a cure?
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but our kick off coverage isn't very good, so why not kick the ball into the end zone and let our defense stop them - looks like they've rounded the corner, or can we not? 95% of opponents returns seem to get past the 25 anyway.
I've seen enough of DJ over the years, to say not so fast my friend, but last night was an improvement. I'd say we'd have beaten Marshall last night with that EFFORT from BOTH sides of the ball.
Other questions that have nothing to do with DJ, Why leave ZT in the game late to get a freak injury? Why take our foot off the gas on some series...like the last 48 seconds which would have been good game practice for a possible scenario later against a tougher opponent? and the 3rd quarter running straight into 6 defenders several plays in a row, that only Herschal Walker could have made positive gain?... helped Arky making a game of it again?
I'd say that's a spot on assessment from last night. I have a feeling that after the season we will be pointing back to this layoff as the turning point with this team. The TEAM that showed up last night was not present in games 1-3. The TEAM that showed up last night brought it, like we are accustomed to seeing. Now let's polish up some of the silly mistakes and snowball towards the finish line.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:51 am

I just enjoyed it....

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:56 am

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:45 am
Black Saturday wrote:
I'd say that's a spot on assessment from last night. I have a feeling that after the season we will be pointing back to this layoff as the turning point with this team. The TEAM that showed up last night was not present in games 1-3. The TEAM that showed up last night brought it, like we are accustomed to seeing. Now let's polish up some of the silly mistakes and snowball towards the finish line.
Completely agree. Like i said in the game day thread, the team look energized and enthusiastic on the sideline. I don’t remember seeing that the first 4 games. They came out and played App State football. I think, and hope, that this break was a good reminder that every game isn’t guaranteed and we have to play like it’s our last game we ever strap up for. I’m very proud of how this team performed last night from the coaches to the players to the support on the sidelines.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:42 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:42 am
The flip side to “their offensive line looked awful” argument is that our really good defense made them look awful. We brought more pressure from blitzes than I can recall ever seeing. I think we brought 8 guys a few times. The bulk of the run yards they got was late when the white flag went up. When we are up 3 scores in the 4th quarter I couldn’t care less about garbage yards allowed. There should be a stat called- yards allowed before the game is decided! I thought Meech looked slow and out of shape in the first 3 games but he was back to a beast last night. Jolly didn’t look good early either but man we have to be rusty in spots. It’s obvious that Clark won’t tolerate putting the ball on the ground. Williams had the one big run, coughed it up and was done for the night. Ark was rolling a safety over onto Henni all night so the others had to get open and they did. Zac’s TD run was crazy. If we can stay COVID free we will be tough to beat. The team I saw last night could have been interesting up in Wisconsin. Man I hope the seniors come back next year.
Yeah that run from Marcus was great to see but putting the ball on the turf killed it for him. If I'm not mistaken, didnt each of the backs have a fumble. Only Marcus lost his though. Seems like we need to see a running back crew walking around campus with footballs in hand at all times ala ESU in the movie "The Program". Just dated myself.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:09 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Taking Z out would have been taking our foot off the gas, wouldn't it?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:18 am

Anyone else hear that Ark. St. has now been held under 20 points in the last 2 years (2018, 2019, & 2020) by three teams: Georgia, Alabama, and App. State (last nite & in 2019). Pierre Banks & crew mentioned it in the post game show. Cool stuff.

App's D is top notch, and it shows.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:18 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:09 am
Black Saturday wrote:
LATE garbage time - you missed that part - last couple of series inside the 4 minute mark when we were up 4TDS. NOt a teaching moment or practice scenario with 48 seconds left trying to score if you had to. :roll:
BLACK SATURDAY

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:51 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:09 am
Black Saturday wrote:

Not when you’re up 28 with 5 mins to go.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:27 am

AppDub wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:42 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Yeah that run from Marcus was great to see but putting the ball on the turf killed it for him. If I'm not mistaken, didnt each of the backs have a fumble. Only Marcus lost his though. Seems like we need to see a running back crew walking around campus with footballs in hand at all times ala ESU in the movie "The Program". Just dated myself.
I think we have our sense of fumbling warped because we've been through several years of Jalin and DE who literally never fumbled.

I think our guys get it corrected. Cam had the one fumble against UNCC that was unforced, but IMO both MW fumbles have been perfect plays by the defense rather than him being loose.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:31 am

D has been our strong suit in 2020. Biggest D surprise last night, the D line looked awesome. Saw a number of new names and new numbers getting it done. Future looks bright!!!!

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:48 am

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:46 am
MrCraig wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:29 am
I will agree that their OLine is not great, but the pressure we applied last night was impressive. Here is the sacks-hurries-tfl break down game by game for ark st:

Memphis-3 sacks 4 hurries, 5 tfl
Kansas st-3 sacks 2 hurries, 5 tfl
Coastal-3 sacks 4 hurries, 6 tfl
C. ark- 1 sack 0 hurries, 4 tfl
Georgia St-4 sack, 0 hurries, 7 tfl
App-6 sack, 4 hurries, 12 tfl

Our numbers really pop off the screen.

nice stats!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:27 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:27 am
AppDub wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:42 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
I think we have our sense of fumbling warped because we've been through several years of Jalin and DE who literally never fumbled.

I think our guys get it corrected. Cam had the one fumble against UNCC that was unforced, but IMO both MW fumbles have been perfect plays by the defense rather than him being loose.
Not sure I see how expecting the running back to do their job and protect the ball is warped. Pretty sure thats part of the goal. Why measure turnovers if it isn't important. Jalin and DE did their job well. If you want to say we have been spoiled,, I agree with that...warped not so much.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”