Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Mizzou over LSU

mike87
School: Appalachian State

Re: Mizzou over LSU

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:57 am

So we are linebacker U, Running Back U, and now Head Coach U.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:32 pm

We are ASU.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:55 am

Dont forget Punter U. Harold Alexander, Mark Royals, Sam Martin and Matt Dodge.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:33 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:55 am
Joe Parker (my classmate) set a new school record of 70 yards in the fall of 1973 during his first game. Eventually became first team Playboy All American. As Coach DeBerry would often say, Joe could "kick the pee out of it!" Brian Reilly.....there was one game (I forget the opponent) where he punted 3 times in a row after penalties. First punt from the endzone (ball on the 6 or 7 YL) and it went to the 50 except for a procedure penalty; half the distance to the goal and punted again. This one went to the opposite 40 except for another procedure penalty. Third punt finally stopped on the opposite 35. Those of us in the stands figured what the heck....2 more penalties and he'll pin 'em on the opposite 10!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:37 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:37 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:27 pm
I'm surprised that LSU is this bad but the game was moved to Missouri and that situation being messed up for them could have effected it. Big win for Drink though. He only needs 4 wins this year for them to be happy and it looks like he should get that with LSU and likely South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky. He may knock off one other. 4 wins with their current schedule would be like 6-7 with a normal OOC they typically have.
I have big time doubts about them beating UK. Mizzou is woeful on D and UK's OL and RBs will ground them into dust. They should beat SC and Vandy(but those two teams would struggle in the Belt). Good for Drink and Mizzou today, but I don't see the good times lasting for long this season.
How foolish am I? Not to big to admit I was very very very wrong about Mizzou vs. UK. Also SC is playing better as of late. Congrats to Drink, he has some momentum in Columbia. Good luck to him moving forward.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:42 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:33 pm
ASUPATCH wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:55 am
Joe Parker (my classmate) set a new school record of 70 yards in the fall of 1973 during his first game. Eventually became first team Playboy All American. As Coach DeBerry would often say, Joe could "kick the pee out of it!" Brian Reilly.....there was one game (I forget the opponent) where he punted 3 times in a row after penalties. First punt from the endzone (ball on the 6 or 7 YL) and it went to the 50 except for a procedure penalty; half the distance to the goal and punted again. This one went to the opposite 40 except for another procedure penalty. Third punt finally stopped on the opposite 35. Those of us in the stands figured what the heck....2 more penalties and he'll pin 'em on the opposite 10!

Joe was also the son of a legendary high school coach in SC, Red Parker.

Wasn't it Pittsburgh who cut Joe because of his lack of hang time on his punts :?: .
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:09 am

NavyApp wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:37 pm
NavyApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
I'm surprised that LSU is this bad but the game was moved to Missouri and that situation being messed up for them could have effected it. Big win for Drink though. He only needs 4 wins this year for them to be happy and it looks like he should get that with LSU and likely South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky. He may knock off one other. 4 wins with their current schedule would be like 6-7 with a normal OOC they typically have.
I have big time doubts about them beating UK. Mizzou is woeful on D and UK's OL and RBs will ground them into dust. They should beat SC and Vandy(but those two teams would struggle in the Belt). Good for Drink and Mizzou today, but I don't see the good times lasting for long this season.
How foolish am I? Not to big to admit I was very very very wrong about Mizzou vs. UK. Also SC is playing better as of late. Congrats to Drink, he has some momentum in Columbia. Good luck to him moving forward.
Well Navy.... 0-2 South Calalaka got embarrassed....
I’m glad for Drink, but yes tough times gonna come.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:29 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:09 am
NavyApp wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:37 pm
NavyApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Well Navy.... 0-2 South Calalaka got embarrassed....
I’m glad for Drink, but yes tough times gonna come.
What appears to be happening with SC is whatever I say they are they become the opposite immediately!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:44 am

To some folks on this board, as much as we hate he was a one and done for App, he is a very good coach. Agree that he said he would stay for a while but we also know he was going to prioritize his personal career over his App State commitment.

For me, I know he can coach in games, but only time will tell if he can consistently recruit for the long run to build a consistent winning program.

I wish him the best.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:36 pm

boonetown1 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:24 pm
Good win for drink, but LSU is crazy overrated. Joe Brady was the reason for a lot of their success.
;) I see what you did there.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:51 am

I hope Drink continues to be successful. His leaving for a better opportunity and seemingly contradicting previous statements is similar to the issue of recruits who flip. Is the case of the coach, there is an actual contract, but even then, in this country we do not have involuntary servitude. A contract does form a commitment but it also includes the terms under which the contract can be changed / broken. The fact is that scenarios change and therefore people will sometimes change their "commitments." As long as they handle these changes with honesty and integrity, I have no issue.

Personally, I appreciate the successful year that Coach Drink gave us here at App. That said, I don't know how he would have done on a long term basis. I do believe that, had he stayed, the coveted App State football culture would have changed. For that reason, I'm pretty happy with how it worked out and with the Coach we have today. I see no reason for anyone being upset with Drink but of course, everyone is entitled to view the situation differently.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:51 am
I hope Drink continues to be successful. His leaving for a better opportunity and seemingly contradicting previous statements is similar to the issue of recruits who flip. Is the case of the coach, there is an actual contract, but even then, in this country we do not have involuntary servitude. A contract does form a commitment but it also includes the terms under which the contract can be changed / broken. The fact is that scenarios change and therefore people will sometimes change their "commitments." As long as they handle these changes with honesty and integrity, I have no issue.

Personally, I appreciate the successful year that Coach Drink gave us here at App. That said, I don't know how he would have done on a long term basis. I do believe that, had he stayed, the coveted App State football culture would have changed. For that reason, I'm pretty happy with how it worked out and with the Coach we have today. I see no reason for anyone being upset with Drink but of course, everyone is entitled to view the situation differently.
I agree with you 95% of the way and I will leave it there. I've stated my feelings. Wish him well, but I sure don't miss him.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:47 pm

Flip the Drink situation back around. Let’s say for arguments sake that he stayed. We had a tough game with what “appears” to be a pretty good Marshall team- at least a lot of voters think so. Last game we looked absolutely awesome in all aspects. Had Drink stayed does anyone believe that we would look any different (better or worse)? Like it’s been said 1,000 times can’t fault him or Satt for grabbing life changing paydays. I’m hoping Clark is the real deal and stays on for the foreseeable future. But as for the question of whether it really mattered if Drink stayed or left. For my money I don’t think it matters. We are still great.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:04 pm

I don't think we would have looked as bad to start this season in year 2 of Drink if he had stayed. Which means I think we would have looked much better against UNCC and won against Marshall. That loss to Marshall was about as bad as it gets in my book, we literally hand them that game and that is something a senior laden team should not do. We finally looked good and comfortable against State, I think that is how we would have looked to start the season under Drink, mainly just because of continuity. I don't think any of us, or the media, truly understand what it is like to have 3 new coaches with 3 different staffs in a 3 year period, and that is what I primarily blame our slow start on. These kids have probably been told how to do it the "right way" by 3 different staffs. Now that we are rolling, I expect it to continue.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:22 pm

Bigd, I think things would have been rockier. I can’t see Drink being able to resist tinkering with the offense more than he did. APP is not built for pass heavy offense. It took him and Roof a few games to realize you have to drive this Ferrari like a Subura.
Bring Your A Game!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:40 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:22 pm
Bigd, I think things would have been rockier. I can’t see Drink being able to resist tinkering with the offense more than he did. APP is not built for pass heavy offense. It took him and Roof a few games to realize you have to drive this Ferrari like a Subura.
I tend to agree. Lots of folks are still butt hurt that he “used” us for a better paying gig. I’ve probably said my share of negative stuff as well but once I thought about it I’ve come to a personal conclusion that we are fine. I hate that we can’t have an occasional bad game or simply lose without it coming down to coaching. Sometimes 18-22 year olds don’t execute plays correctly. Stuff happens especially in 2020.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:11 am

huskie3 wrote:
Whoever told y’all when he was hired here that he was “pass happy” surely didn’t know a damn thing about his scheme. Drink runs the football. State ran the football. App ran the football. Mizzou is running the football. 60 runs to 30 passes against UK.

I assume y’all are still this upset about Mack Brown as well? It’s college football fellas, guys move on. Get over it.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:08 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:11 am
huskie3 wrote:
Whoever told y’all when he was hired here that he was “pass happy” surely didn’t know a damn thing about his scheme. Drink runs the football. State ran the football. App ran the football. Mizzou is running the football. 60 runs to 30 passes against UK.

I assume y’all are still this upset about Mack Brown as well? It’s college football fellas, guys move on. Get over it.
Great point about Mack. Are these guys more or less mad at Mack than Eli? I think Eli's move/situation was more understandable given all the factors, money, college football landscape today, than when Mack was one and done. I didn't like Eli's one and done but truly understand that was HIS professional path that he was on. On the other hand, I always believe life has events that make you better in the long run and this may have been one of those for App. We now have Clark and if he becomes the coach we hope he can then I believe he is committed for a long time, maybe seriously committed to App for the remainder of his career. I can really see him in a lifetime gig. I couldn't even say that for Satt. Right now I am feeling pretty damn good about our HC and it was a result of Eli's situation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”