Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Appalachian vs. Texas St Game Thread (and gameday menu thread)

Appstate88
School: Appalachian State

Re: Appalachian vs. Texas St Game Thread (and gameday menu thread)

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:46 pm

Post Game Interview.

GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:54 pm

I want to see fewer dumb penalties. 11 for 94 yards. We won vs a bad team. Time to move on to the next one.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:48 pm

I thought we went through the motions devoid of emotion and lacking energy. We won in spite of it. 1-0

JohnnyBurrito

Unread post by JohnnyBurrito » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:11 am

I have read the back and forth on this thread as well as other game day threads. Fans are typically in 2 camps, frustrated that we didn’t score enough/click offensively and those who may not be happy with how things looked but are happy for the win.

I tend to be on the side of the former. Don’t get me wrong, the left side of the ledger doesn’t care about style points, but that’s not the issue. The concern (at least for me) is projecting forward. If we struggle to win against a bad team, how will we play against UL, Coastal, etc.

A win is always a win, but what does this mean going forward??

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:41 am

JohnnyBurrito wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:11 am
I have read the back and forth on this thread as well as other game day threads. Fans are typically in 2 camps, frustrated that we didn’t score enough/click offensively and those who may not be happy with how things looked but are happy for the win.

I tend to be on the side of the former. Don’t get me wrong, the left side of the ledger doesn’t care about style points, but that’s not the issue. The concern (at least for me) is projecting forward. If we struggle to win against a bad team, how will we play against UL, Coastal, etc.

A win is always a win, but what does this mean going forward??
I understand what you're getting at but I feel like it's lacking a bit on context. You say "If we struggle to win against a bad team, how will we play against UL, Coastal, etc.", And that's a fair question. We beat TXST by 21 on the road UL "only" won by 10 against them last week. We thrashed ArkSt by 28 at home, UL won by 7 in a game that was decided very late. Ohhhh and that UL team took the boogeyman Coastal everyone is talking about to the wire. We could very well loose to both teams but I don't have the concerns others on here do, especially when as we get more common opponents.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:51 am

Special teams play has improved.

Sounds like Shawn agrees the passing game plan was subpar.

Still too many penalties.

We’ll need more pressure next week and certainly the following week.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:56 am

It's hard to get up for 2 bottom dwellers like ULM & TxSt. Especially when you have to fly halfway across the country twice in 2 weeks to play in empty stadiums. If the games were in Boone I bet they would be like the Arkst game.

FYI we're averaging 34 points a game and only allowing 17.5 pts per game. Our game plan is to go up quick and then salt the clock away. Who cares how many yards we give up so long as they dont score? And no one has scored more than 2 TDs on us and they haven't scored more than one TD per half.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:18 am

hapapp wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:24 pm
We had 2 more total yards than they did. Not a great performance by the D. We also gave up 215 yards on the ground.
88 of those yards came after we were up 31-10 and late in the game. We were playing prevent and rushing three leaving running lanes open. I would rather have then run and chew on the clock.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:31 am

anyone know the attendance % at Clemson @ Notre Dame last night, looked like around 50%.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:35 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:18 am
hapapp wrote:
We had 2 more total yards than they did. Not a great performance by the D. We also gave up 215 yards on the ground.
88 of those yards came after we were up 31-10 and late in the game. We were playing prevent and rushing three leaving running lanes open. I would rather have then run and chew on the clock.
Agreed plus another 75 of the passing yards came from the TD in the 1st qrt when our CB & Safety knocked each other down.

Who cares how many yards they put up? They scored 1 legitimate TD

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:38 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:27 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:19 pm
dtrain4prez wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:53 pm
This is almost like Ron Rivera is coaching our team.
Like Ron Rivera? You mean the one who took the Panthers to a Super Bowl :!: :?:
Yeah the one hit wonder Rivera. That’s the one
Yep, that's the one. Winning-est coach in Panty ther history.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:44 am

AppSt94 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
All true, but I still thought that overall it might have been our weakest D effort of the season. Once we took the lead, the game was never in doubt and the most important take away was the win. It seems that we lose focus mid game and I guess that creates some anxiety. As well as we rushed the passer the previous two weeks, we didn't seem as effective yesterday. But, I do believe that this is a much improved Texas State program and once they figure out how to win they could be competitive in future years in their divisional race.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:48 am

AppSt94 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
If I am not mistaken, we were also deeper in our roster and not playing the first team defense. This is the same thing that happened on the late Campbell TD and the ULM TD at the end of last weeks game. Vanilla D without 1st Teamers.

We tackled very well after the first TD when it mattered, but certainly finished the game with plenty of missed arm tackles.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:51 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:35 am
AppSt94 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Agreed plus another 75 of the passing yards came from the TD in the 1st qrt when our CB & Safety knocked each other down.

Who cares how many yards they put up? They scored 1 legitimate TD
Points on the board matter the most, but execution matters too. I think it silly to suggest that their first touchdown was not legit. Their receiver made the play, our guys didn't. This Texas State team has put up good numbers against everyone, so its not like its an aberration. But, they were more effective offensively against our defense than most have been. It doesn't spell doom going forward, but it wasn't our best defensive performance.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:53 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:51 am
Special teams play has improved.

Sounds like Shawn agrees the passing game plan was subpar.

Still too many penalties.

We’ll need more pressure next week and certainly the following week.
I liked finding out we can kickoff into the end zone.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:54 am

hapapp wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:44 am
AppSt94 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
All true, but I still thought that overall it might have been our weakest D effort of the season. Once we took the lead, the game was never in doubt and the most important take away was the win. It seems that we lose focus mid game and I guess that creates some anxiety. As well as we rushed the passer the previous two weeks, we didn't seem as effective yesterday. But, I do believe that this is a much improved Texas State program and once they figure out how to win they could be competitive in future years in their divisional race.
A couple of observations. We seemed to rush only three, more often this game than in past contest, with fewer blitzes. Secondly, Spavital may be the best play caller that we have to game plan against this year. Those may be factors in your overall assessment.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:58 am

On a side note. Did anyone catch Spavital standing over the injured Harrington and give him a pat on the head when he got to his feet? Class act. Those are the types of coaches that you don’t run it up on when the decision is not in doubt.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:06 am

hapapp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Not sure I agree Texas State is any good with a 1-7 record, It's the same old same old with them every year, watching the game it sounds like they sold out to stocking up on transfers with no results. Oh, they did scare Boston College.
BLACK SATURDAY

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:34 am

APPChad90 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:17 pm
Business trip with a business like win. We play lots of guys and it’s nice to see other guys stepping up and making plays, that’s depth and that why we have a history of winning late in the season consistently. I get upset like everyone else with the penalties and other things but we were always in control today. Seemed like we used or featured the TE’s more today which will only give future opponents more to think about. The meat of the schedule is coming and I for one like our chances. Just keep doing your thing Mountaineers.
I was also really glad to see us featuring the TE more in this game. Traditionally it's been a big part of our offense.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:51 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:06 am
hapapp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Not sure I agree Texas State is any good with a 1-7 record, It's the same old same old with them every year, watching the game it sounds like they sold out to stocking up on transfers with no results. Oh, they did scare Boston College.
If you are 1-7 you stink. If you bring in transfers and are this bad for several years in a row you stink. Obviously with some older talent they can move the ball and score points but they simply can’t get enough talent to compete. Look how many big Texas schools grab the better players.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”