Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

national tv chokers

appdaze

national tv chokers

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:19 pm

I'm not one to jump on here right after a game a I usually let the tirade of vitriol or praise calm down before making any remarks. We are still 6-2, 4-1. The dynasty isn't over as some are saying because we weren't a dynasty. Winning some conference chips doesn't make you a dynasty. We are still a winning program with a great legacy. The momentum that started in 2004 had to run out at some point. The constant coaching changes will continue to cause us issues until we can find a solid coach who will make a long term commitment and would be willing to turn down the big contracts. Good luck finding that person.

ZT is not right currently. It may be physical or a mental block, but something isn't clicking as well in games. AE was the same way at the end. Yes the big stats were still there, but after his foot got injured at the party he was never quite the same. ZT has had a great overall career and I hope he finishes this season strong, and I wish him well as he graduates and moves on with life. It is time for the next man up.

All that said, we had the two biggest chokes on the biggest stages in App history(in one year). Two nationally televised games, with little air time competition, that should have both been wins for App. Players quitting on plays, busted plays with terrible execution and attempted recoveries, but I'm not going to insult your intelligence by listing out everything as if all of you didn't watch the games and see issues. We will have a winning record at the end of the year, but it has to be made known to the coaches how unacceptable all of this is. Losing a hard fought game is a pill that can be swallowed, but a self inflicted choke fest is not.

We have made comments on here the past few seasons how many if us are noticing bits and pieces of our culture crumbling. Lots of things can cause this but DG needs to make culture a top priority if we want to sustain relevance and not be an 8-4/7-5 team in the limbo pit of misery. It starts with him. We will still have a winning season but this has absolutely set us back and its has to be remedied before it snowballs.

I'm just going to stop here so I don't go on a negative rant about this one game and keep trying to look at the bigger picture.

fjblair

Re: national tv chokers

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Yeah something is way off, and it's not just injuries. This team and specifically this offense has not at any point this season appeared to be well coached. It's a weird year and Clark gets a free pass, but this is not App State football. I've been biting my tongue for weeks, but can no longer pretend everything is rosy.

AppGrad1

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:43 pm

ZT screwed up trying to throw across his body down field to a receiver that had double coverage on him. He had a wide open man 8 yards in front of him. We win this game if he keeps the ball or tosses it to the open man.
When 2 equal teams play end of game mistakes can lose it for you.
As many as he has won for us this one is on him with the poor decision.

AppGrad1

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:45 pm

Bad plays during the game rarely loses a game for you.

Bad plays at the end of games many times can lose it for you.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Damn false starts certainly didn’t help.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 pm

So much ignorance, teams don't win every game. So many spoiled babies who really don't know football on this message board. Chill out.

okiapper

Unread post by okiapper » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:02 pm

AppGrad1 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:43 pm
ZT screwed up trying to throw across his body down field to a receiver that had double coverage on him. He had a wide open man 8 yards in front of him. We win this game if he keeps the ball or tosses it to the open man.
When 2 equal teams play end of game mistakes can lose it for you.
As many as he has won for us this one is on him with the poor decision.
I think we are thinking of the same play. Such a big swing. Easy completion in front of him but he goes deep and didn’t know the safety was there.
I try to give Zac a break, all the turnover throughout his years and this year having no Sutton, henny hurt, and depending on freshman WR’s and backup TEs. Some of his interceptions this year are not on him and his receivers missed a few big plays today (horn in the end zone if I remember?)
I haven’t been a huge fan of Peterson bc the play calling gets predictable (IMO). Going against Drink for comparison doesn’t help. Zone inside, WR screen, TE flat and QB draw with the occasional shot downfield. But to be fair against Zac, he isn’t getting bailed out by his playmakers. He makes bad throws and decisions every once in a while. Looks either way that is definitely a regression year for him and it shows in the record. I’m still a big fan of him and hope he turns it around and finishes his career on a good note.

Really happy with the run game today though.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:03 pm

The OC and S&C coaches need to have a long hard carpet meeting in the office when they get back to Boone. Defense coaching has help up their end all year. I too am concerned the beginning of a long road of mediocrity it well underway.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:16 pm

We are a very nicked up team (players out, Hennigan can’t run, Jolly was favoring his foot the entire 4th quarter).

No excuses, we made a ton of second half mistakes—false starts, two kickoffs out of bounds, defensive penalties, a WR not finishing a play after he was pushed out of bounds and ZT being inaccurate in the second half (overthrows, deep ball to the sideline when it should have been downfield). Then you thrown in the obligatory, let’s spot them 7, then crank up the defense.

Our players are playing hard and they are pushing through injuries. Coastal was not a better team (they may have been equal). But their second half execution beat our execution. (And, somehow they played 60 minutes without an enforceable penalty)

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 pm

Coastal is good, not great. I was not impressed, it's a team we beat 9 times out of ten.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:42 pm

It needs to be illustrated that mediocrity is not acceptable.

And our oc is not even mediocre. His seat should be on fire.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:48 pm

fjblair wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 pm
Coastal is good, not great. I was not impressed, it's a team we beat 9 times out of ten.
Not with the current status we don't. we dont execute, have stupid penalties and make bad decisions. where does that start and where does that end?

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 pm

fjblair wrote:
I can’t get behind this sentiment.

Coastal is a good ball team. They play an exciting brand of football and have an awesome freshman qb. Their DL adjusted at the half and kicked our offensive lines ass in Q3 and Q4. They played smart with limited turnovers and ONE penalty. And they made halftime adjustments down 17-9 to out score us 25-6 in the second half. Which shows poise and resilience.

Yes, we had plenty of self inflicted damage. But If that’s not a good football team I don’t know what is.
YNWA

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 pm
fjblair wrote:

Coastal is a good ball team. They play an exciting brand of football and have an awesome freshman qb. Their DL adjusted at the half and kicked our offensive lines ass in Q3 and Q4. They played smart with limited turnovers and ONE penalty. And they made halftime adjustments down 17-9 to out score us 25-6 in the second half. Which shows poise and resilience.

Yes, we had plenty of self inflicted damage. But If that’s not a good football team I don’t know what is.
Coastal is a good team, not great and this same App team better coached and conditioned would beat them every time.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 pm
ah59396 wrote:
fjblair wrote:

Coastal is a good team, not great and this same App team better coached and conditioned would beat them every time.
Better coaching and conditioning are characteristics of a good team.

That’s like saying “If App had better players we’d win the game!”

I think we should be willing to give credit where it’s due. Coastal is 8-0 and has beat plenty of good teams, which I believe is a category we fall into.
YNWA

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:05 pm

The OC called a better better game today, we didn’t execute.

App has a very good record on national tv FWIW.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Perusing Inside Carolina now, just because i look at alot of messge boards, interesting take from outside our bubble on this team. I am trying to find it hard to disagree, but i cannot.
https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 155133451/

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 pm
ah59396 wrote:
fjblair wrote:

Obligatory first drive TD for our opponent...2 busted plays.
We don't seem to make any good in game adjustments, we were better prepared for this game though we LOST it. Special teams is more like special ed, poor decisions, kickoffs. Bastard Coastal coach didn't give us a courtesy of not scoring at the end.
BLACK SATURDAY

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:15 pm

It is just inexcusable that a 5th year senior and 3 year starting qb isn’t able to make smart enough decisions on what should have been a final drive of the game for the win. We are up with less than 7 minutes to play. All we have to do is drive down and not turn it over but instead he throws an ill advised pass that floats up and gets intercepted leading to the go ahead touchdown with under 3 minutes to play. Sadly, unlike past years at App, I had zero confidence that out QB could lead us down the field and win the game. He isn’t even playing like a game manager this year, he just keeps making bad mistakes.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:22 pm

App91 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm
Perusing Inside Carolina now, just because i look at alot of messge boards, interesting take from outside our bubble on this team. I am trying to find it hard to disagree, but i cannot.
https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 155133451/
While I’m not happy with what I’ve seen so far out of the coaching staff, I’m also not ready to say it was a bad hire. We have no idea this early.

Being an FBS coach has a wicked learning curve, especially during this COVID year.

We are AT WORST 6-6, which would mean losing every game including our bowl.

I think we beat Troy, lose to UL and beat Ga Southern, then win our bowl game against some MAC corpse.

9-4 with a bowl victory in your first season as a head coach is the exceptional. Heck 8-5 would be fine IMO. Is it disappointing? Of course.

But let’s see where we are at this point in 2021 before we are questioning hiring decisions.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”