Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

national tv chokers

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: national tv chokers

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:02 pm
okiapper wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:02 pm
AppGrad1 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:43 pm
ZT screwed up trying to throw across his body down field to a receiver that had double coverage on him. He had a wide open man 8 yards in front of him. We win this game if he keeps the ball or tosses it to the open man.
When 2 equal teams play end of game mistakes can lose it for you.
As many as he has won for us this one is on him with the poor decision.
I think we are thinking of the same play. Such a big swing. Easy completion in front of him but he goes deep and didn’t know the safety was there.
I try to give Zac a break, all the turnover throughout his years and this year having no Sutton, henny hurt, and depending on freshman WR’s and backup TEs. Some of his interceptions this year are not on him and his receivers missed a few big plays today (horn in the end zone if I remember?)
I haven’t been a huge fan of Peterson bc the play calling gets predictable (IMO). Going against Drink for comparison doesn’t help. Zone inside, WR screen, TE flat and QB draw with the occasional shot downfield. But to be fair against Zac, he isn’t getting bailed out by his playmakers. He makes bad throws and decisions every once in a while. Looks either way that is definitely a regression year for him and it shows in the record. I’m still a big fan of him and hope he turns it around and finishes his career on a good note.

Really happy with the run game today though.
I’m going to respond to every one of these Thomas excuse posts. He’s played bad! He’s the senior. The receivers are not the problem. His accuracy and decision making is. The play calling wasn’t the problem. His 3 picks were. He’s not playing well. Can we please stop with these exhaustive excuse finding missions. He should be able to make the throws he’s not making. That’s it. There is nothing else to say. Peterson can’t make him accurate. And if you notice as soon as he had to throw vertically he was a liability. The coaches know this too. Which is why they were scheming to have him
Throw dink and dunk passes in the first half. His accuracy sucks now and it’s costing app games.
I can't guarantee what is in his heart but I can tell you how it looks. It looks like he does not want to be there. We should have won that game. They are not better than us. We were only the third team they beat with a winning record. We are pretty even minus a QB.
Would love to see what 7 would have done today. It was very noticeable how much better the OL played when he came in last week. One coaching decision I have never agreed with is that I can't remember a coach who let a backup get any reps. Most programs would have put 7 in today.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:11 am

bcoach wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
okiapper wrote:
AppGrad1 wrote:
ZT screwed up trying to throw across his body down field to a receiver that had double coverage on him. He had a wide open man 8 yards in front of him. We win this game if he keeps the ball or tosses it to the open man.
I think we are thinking of the same play. Such a big swing. Easy completion in front of him but he goes deep and didn’t know the safety was there.
I try to give Zac a break, all the turnover throughout his years and this year having no Sutton, henny hurt, and depending on freshman WR’s and backup TEs. Some of his interceptions this year are not on him and his receivers missed a few big plays today (horn in the end zone if I remember?)
I haven’t been a huge fan of Peterson bc the play calling gets predictable (IMO). Going against Drink for comparison doesn’t help. Zone inside, WR screen, TE flat and QB draw with the occasional shot downfield. But to be fair against Zac, he isn’t getting bailed out by his playmakers. He makes bad throws and decisions every once in a while. Looks either way that is definitely a regression year for him and it shows in the record. I’m still a big fan of him and hope he turns it around and finishes his career on a good note.

I’m going to respond to every one of these Thomas excuse posts. He’s played bad! He’s the senior. The receivers are not the problem. His accuracy and decision making is. The play calling wasn’t the problem. His 3 picks were. He’s not playing well. Can we please stop with these exhaustive excuse finding missions. He should be able to make the throws he’s not making. That’s it. There is nothing else to say. Peterson can’t make him accurate. And if you notice as soon as he had to throw vertically he was a liability. The coaches know this too. Which is why they were scheming to have him
Throw dink and dunk passes in the first half. His accuracy sucks now and it’s costing app games.
I can't guarantee what is in his heart but I can tell you how it looks. It looks like he does not want to be there. We should have won that game. They are not better than us. We were only the third team they beat with a winning record. We are pretty even minus a QB.
Would love to see what 7 would have done today. It was very noticeable how much better the OL played when he came in last week. One coaching decision I have never agreed with is that I can't remember a coach who let a backup get any reps. Most programs would have put 7 in today.
C’mon now. Seattleapp has a correct analysis. ZT struggled with accuracy today (short throw behind receiver, threw to sideline vs. leading receiver on deep sideline route, missing Christian Horn in the end zone on a double move right after the bomb to Malik Williams (great play call by Petersen and Coastal should have been flagged for contact on the double move), missing Malik Williams on a seam route at the end of the game.

He made bad decisions (INT’s, taking bad sacks or rushing losses when he could have thrown the ball away). This includes a 4 yard rushing loss that led to a longer attempt on Staton’s missed FG and a bad Red Zone sack that was bailed out by a Staton 44 yarder.

But, I saw no evidence that he didn’t want to be out there. If that was the case, he could have not dressed out after the injury last week. He ran hard today, but his legs aren’t there. He did not have his usual speed to run away from defenders. Hence, he’s one dimensional.

Yes, the line played better for Huesman last week. But, they hadn’t played well all game and they did it against a worn down GaSt defense (possibly by our design). Implying that they played harder for Huesman as a slight against ZT is wrong.

Bad game or not, ZT was leading the offense today. Several times he was barking at players who were out of formation (we had to call our first time out in the second half because the personnel grouping or formation was not right for the play call.

Even if he wanted to, there was not a good time to insert Huesman. Once we were flagged for the defensive face mask, Clark made a call to allow CC to score the TD and put the ball in the hands of our senior QB, the same one who drove his team down the field for a TD in the first half in a similar situation. Otherwise, they milk the clock to under a minute and likely hit a go ahead chip shot field goal. I think Clark made the proper call.

We had a procedure penalty to open that drive, not ZT’s fault. Then, nothing good happened. (It would have been nice to see a dump to Noel on 2nd or 3rd down, but he was in Max protect due to the Coastal pass rush and didn’t release for a possible catch)

Our offense had over 300 yards in the first half. Petersen’s play calling was better than average in the first half.
Outside of the 75 yard bomb, they were limited to under 50 yards passing and 21 yards rushing in the first half.

However, it was not all ZT. Peoples ran for 171 yards in the first half, but was gassed/tired/denied in the second half when he had 7 carries for 8 yards. I take nothing away from Peoples, because he ran hard in the first half, never going down on first contact and literally carried the Coastal defenders for extra yards. He had 20 punishing carries in the first half. The reality is, our three headed RB fleet is down to one back. Noel played great, but there are times when you can see that he is young and not at the same level as Williams or Harrington. (But, he is an exciting change of pace back!). Coastal took away our run game in the second half

Hennigan is only good for 7-10 yard routes and is a shell of what he was to begin the season due to injury. He was off the field for many snaps including the final possessions. Virgil suffered another injury/re-injury in the 1st half and was done.

Ryker Casey did not warm up with the kickers, so even if Clark wanted to relieve Staton of kickoff duties, he didn’t have that option.

I don’t doubt, no did I see evidence of a lack of effort from any member of our team. We just don’t have the current ability to overcome a team lack of execution against a talented team that executed very well in the second half.

But, despite all of this. If we make a defensive stop or execute a final drive, we are that close to having the discussions that we are ranked, have a chance to host the tital game, etc. The margin of error is that thin. Despite everything, we had a one point lead and the ball at our own 31 yard line after gaining a first down with 7:15 left. As a team, we did not execute and close the game out.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:11 am
bcoach wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
okiapper wrote:
AppGrad1 wrote:

C’mon now. Seattleapp has a correct analysis. ZT struggled with accuracy today (short throw behind receiver, threw to sideline vs. leading receiver on deep sideline route, missing Christian Horn in the end zone on a double move right after the bomb to Malik Williams (great play call by Petersen and Coastal should have been flagged for contact on the double move), missing Malik Williams on a seam route at the end of the game.

He made bad decisions (INT’s, taking bad sacks or rushing losses when he could have thrown the ball away). This includes a 4 yard rushing loss that led to a longer attempt on Staton’s missed FG and a bad Red Zone sack that was bailed out by a Staton 44 yarder.

But, I saw no evidence that he didn’t want to be out there. If that was the case, he could have not dressed out after the injury last week. He ran hard today, but his legs aren’t there. He did not have his usual speed to run away from defenders. Hence, he’s one dimensional.

Yes, the line played better for Huesman last week. But, they hadn’t played well all game and they did it against a worn down GaSt defense (possibly by our design). Implying that they played harder for Huesman as a slight against ZT is wrong.

Bad game or not, ZT was leading the offense today. Several times he was barking at players who were out of formation (we had to call our first time out in the second half because the personnel grouping or formation was not right for the play call.

Even if he wanted to, there was not a good time to insert Huesman. Once we were flagged for the defensive face mask, Clark made a call to allow CC to score the TD and put the ball in the hands of our senior QB, the same one who drove his team down the field for a TD in the first half in a similar situation. Otherwise, they milk the clock to under a minute and likely hit a go ahead chip shot field goal. I think Clark made the proper call.

We had a procedure penalty to open that drive, not ZT’s fault. Then, nothing good happened. (It would have been nice to see a dump to Noel on 2nd or 3rd down, but he was in Max protect due to the Coastal pass rush and didn’t release for a possible catch)

Our offense had over 300 yards in the first half. Petersen’s play calling was better than average in the first half.
Outside of the 75 yard bomb, they were limited to under 50 yards passing and 21 yards rushing in the first half.

However, it was not all ZT. Peoples ran for 171 yards in the first half, but was gassed/tired/denied in the second half when he had 7 carries for 8 yards. I take nothing away from Peoples, because he ran hard in the first half, never going down on first contact and literally carried the Coastal defenders for extra yards. He had 20 punishing carries in the first half. The reality is, our three headed RB fleet is down to one back. Noel played great, but there are times when you can see that he is young and not at the same level as Williams or Harrington. (But, he is an exciting change of pace back!). Coastal took away our run game in the second half

Hennigan is only good for 7-10 yard routes and is a shell of what he was to begin the season due to injury. He was off the field for many snaps including the final possessions. Virgil suffered another injury/re-injury in the 1st half and was done.

Ryker Casey did not warm up with the kickers, so even if Clark wanted to relieve Staton of kickoff duties, he didn’t have that option.

I don’t doubt, no did I see evidence of a lack of effort from any member of our team. We just don’t have the current ability to overcome a team lack of execution against a talented team that executed very well in the second half.

But, despite all of this. If we make a defensive stop or execute a final drive, we are that close to having the discussions that we are ranked, have a chance to host the tital game, etc. The margin of error is that thin. Despite everything, we had a one point lead and the ball at our own 31 yard line after gaining a first down with 7:15 left. As a team, we did not execute and close the game out.
That's the game in a nutshell. We played well enough to win but failed to execute when needed. Coastal held us to 6 points in the 2nd half and frankly outplayed us. All the reasons we are struggling are legitimate but this is the team we have now. We have 3 conference games left, is there reason to believe much will change? Can we win out, yes, but we could struggle just as well. I do believe there is a prescription to stymie our offense that was displayed by GA State and CCU in the 2nd half. Teams are going to bet we can't beat them through the air. Between the injuries and youth in our WR corps, our struggles pass protecting, and Zac's, at times, poor decision-making, it's a decent gamble.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 am

asucrazy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 pm
Thanks Cam Peoples, 27 carries 178 yards, no fumbles,G carrying 2 or 3 tacklers for extra yardage. Somebody must have been blocking . Good game sir!
We're going to need a healthy Peoples in order to finish this year out on a positive note. Although I'd consider us an average team (at present), I still believe we can win our last three scheduled games (yes, including Louisiana). Yesterday was a disappointment, but life goes on and we'll move forward. PS - Our next two games are at home before going to The Stink for some revenge.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:11 am
bcoach wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
okiapper wrote:
AppGrad1 wrote:

IMO, this subject thread is a joke or a choke for starting it. I agree with the responses to this sub-post. 5 straight bowl wins were on TV and probably the only bowl on TV the day played. Several conference championships including last 2 SBC championships on TV. Discount our conference as you wish. I do too sometimes, but it is the conference we are in. From viewing in section 216, no evidence that ZT was not giving his all for App. St. It was quite the opposite. I was surprised he got up after hit in 1st half. That hit was legal assault. The linemen that let him get to QB should have been given a citation. (just kidding). He was showing passion on big runs, People's TD in first Q and very passionate/frustrated when players not aligned correctly when attempting Hurry up offense. Beginning of Second half, he walked down to where the kickoff team was lined prior to going on field to say something to them. With the interceptions, penalties and obligatory let them score on their first possession strategy, injuries to 8, 4 and whatever going on with 6 in Q4, 11 out and 5 as a decoy most of day. we had 4th string RB and only experienced WR being 14 on the field with the lead driving to put game away. Yes, ZT made bad decision. He should have went to TE for 6 or 8 yards. He made a mistake. He is human. App. St. is far from not being a football powerhouse. The bad decision from this game is that this is a blog thread. I take ZT next week, remaining games this year and if I am fortunate, he will be starting every single game for App St next year!! Let's go App St. Let go 1-0 this week.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:18 am

"obligatory let them score on their first possession strategy" LOL

No doubt that strategy will come back to haunt you against teams like Coastal.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 am

Sounds like a bunch of spoiled UNC fans to me....you never build anything without some setbacks. Step back from the ledge. We aren’t UNC or Charlotte or Georgia Southern. #AppClass

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:56 am

-What happened to our offensive line’s ability to pass block?
-I said it several games ago that these dumb penalties would bite us and would cost us a game.
-Did Eli screw up Zac or does Zac have a throwing arm/shoulder injury that nobody can talk about?
-Beginning to think there is no chemistry between Coach Peterson and Zac.
-On to defense... How is it we put NO pressure on a QB and yet still give 10 yard cushions?
-Last thing... How hard is it to kickoff the ball and keep it in bounds?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:06 am

AppGrad1 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:45 pm
Bad plays during the game rarely loses a game for you.

Bad plays at the end of games many times can lose it for you.
I do not believe that this is true. Bad plays can lose a game regardless of when it happens. Bad plays earlier in the game can kill drives and effectively remove points from the board. It's true that there is more time to "redeem" from these mistakes, but it can also take a team out of the game plan (trying to compensate) and feed the downward spiral. I would contend that, the mistakes at the end of the game only SEEM to make more difference because they stick in our minds more.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:15 am

Deano wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:49 pm
senior laden team.....
African or European?

(Sorry but was just thinking of Monty Python)
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:28 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 am
IMO, this subject thread is a joke or a choke for starting it. I agree with the responses to this sub-post. 5 straight bowl wins were on TV and probably the only bowl on TV the day played. Several conference championships including last 2 SBC championships on TV. Discount our conference as you wish. I do too sometimes, but it is the conference we are in. From viewing in section 216, no evidence that ZT was not giving his all for App. St. It was quite the opposite. I was surprised he got up after hit in 1st half. That hit was legal assault. The linemen that let him get to QB should have been given a citation. (just kidding). He was showing passion on big runs, People's TD in first Q and very passionate/frustrated when players not aligned correctly when attempting Hurry up offense. Beginning of Second half, he walked down to where the kickoff team was lined prior to going on field to say something to them. With the interceptions, penalties and obligatory let them score on their first possession strategy, injuries to 8, 4 and whatever going on with 6 in Q4, 11 out and 5 as a decoy most of day. we had 4th string RB and only experienced WR being 14 on the field with the lead driving to put game away. Yes, ZT made bad decision. He should have went to TE for 6 or 8 yards. He made a mistake. He is human. App. St. is far from not being a football powerhouse. The bad decision from this game is that this is a blog thread. I take ZT next week, remaining games this year and if I am fortunate, he will be starting every single game for App St next year!! Let's go App St. Let go 1-0 this week.
[/quote]

If you have an issue you could have directly replied to my OP if you even read what I had to say. This thread title was not a joke or a choke. If a basketball player misses the game winning free throw it will be said they choked. If a kicker misses the game winning field goal it will be said they choked. If a QB/team throws an interception on the final drive of the game that would have won them the game, guess what, its a choke. I don't think being on national television changed the way we played but the way we played happened to be on national television so therefore it is a national tv choke.

A comment on the seniors returning. I don't think they should. I think its a slap in the face to the guys waiting behind them who have done their job and should be the next man up. If you are a sophomore right now and they senior in front of you comes back with the experience and physical body of a 23-24 year old and you have to sit behind them your junior year that isn't going to sit well with a lot of these guys and I don't blame them. If you are a junior and you are ready to be the starter next year and the senior in front of you stays then you are SOL. For everyone that would drool out of their mouths saying "they should just gotten better and beat them out" they may actually be better then the starter was during their junior season but they are still waiting their turn. For the sake of just putting W's in the column yes it sounds great to bring back all the seniors. To the guys sitting behind them doing everything right in order to inherit the position when all those seniors graduate this year, its a slap in the face.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 am

I agree that the extra year of eligibility across the board was decided prematurely. That decision should have been made at the end of the season not the start. Most of the players will have played the best part of a season when all is done.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:51 am

bcoach wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 am
I agree that the extra year of eligibility across the board was decided prematurely. That decision should have been made at the end of the season not the start. Most of the players will have played the best part of a season when all is done.
One problem is that, the decision was already made for winter and spring sports last year. I don't disagree that is might have been pre-mature and I'm afraid it's going to cause some complications for many programs like App who don't have the deep pockets.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:02 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:51 am
bcoach wrote:
One problem is that, the decision was already made for winter and spring sports last year. I don't disagree that is might have been pre-mature and I'm afraid it's going to cause some complications for many programs like App who don't have the deep pockets.
It is going to be a tough decision for our coaches and staff. We only have so many positions on the team with scholarships. It may be that we have some seniors that decide to stay that have to choose if they want to stay without a scholarship.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:25 pm

We simply can’t afford for everyone to come back not that everyone would. I would guess around 7-10 at most.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:49 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:02 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
It is going to be a tough decision for our coaches and staff. We only have so many positions on the team with scholarships. It may be that we have some seniors that decide to stay that have to choose if they want to stay without a scholarship.
My understanding is that everyone has been given the extra year so this problem goes on for more than just this year.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:18 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:49 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
My understanding is that everyone has been given the extra year so this problem goes on for more than just this year.
Exactly! This issue will roll on for the next 4 years. Coaches will have to set expectations based on player's desire, ability and the resources we have available. It could potentially impact opportunities for future HS graduates by reducing our recruiting class. It has a ripple effect that really wasn't considered.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:18 pm
bcoach wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:49 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Exactly! This issue will roll on for the next 4 years. Coaches will have to set expectations based on player's desire, ability and the resources we have available. It could potentially impact opportunities for future HS graduates by reducing our recruiting class. It has a ripple effect that really wasn't considered.
Not unusual these days.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:38 am

I can promise you that Zac is giving it his all. His HEART is and has always been in the games. This is his 3rd OC in three years and there are a lot of young WR playing now due to injuries. There are going to be mistakes with these new WR and the timing will be off from time to time. I doubt most of the seniors will be coming back next year. I wouldn't be surprised if next year will be another freaking COVID year again. There have been several posts above about the lack of a preseason, running practice in groups of 5 players and many players being in isolation during the season. This has been a mentally challenged season for the players and coaches.

Zac's heart is in the game and he is giving his all, I promise you that.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:35 am

We are 6-2. Bowl Eligible for a 6th consecutive year. Do I wish we had beaten a top 25 team other than Michigan, yes of course. But really people? Come on. Also, I think people are poo pooing a Coastal Program that is led by a hard charging successful guy in Joe Moglia who had a long history of football coaching before becoming a wall street success story. Even after Chadwell gets plucked, Coastal will still be successful as long a Moglia is in involved.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”