Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Mack Brown calls for Playoff Expansion-due to opt outs

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Mack Brown calls for Playoff Expansion-due to opt outs

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:00 am

He sees it as a potential solution for the growing trend of top players opting out of non-playoff bowl games. I believe Brown is highly respected in college football so I hope his opinion carries some weight.

Mack Brown reportedly calls for playoff expansion amid opt-outs
https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... gyo-XO3-dk

pop5app

Re: Mack Brown calls for Playoff Expansion-due to opt outs

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:10 am

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:00 am
He sees it as a potential solution for the growing trend of top players opting out of non-playoff bowl games. I believe Brown is highly respected in college football so I hope his opinion carries some weight.

While I applaud Cheats’ fearless leader calling for expansion. It’s pathetic he uses “opting out” as the reason. Don’t fall for his whinny attitude. Accept nothing less than expansion due to merit, like winning your conference!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:20 am

pop5app wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:10 am
Rick83 wrote:

While I applaud Cheats’ fearless leader calling for expansion. It’s pathetic he uses “opting out” as the reason. Don’t fall for his whinny attitude. Accept nothing less than expansion due to merit, like winning your conference!
I'm not "falling" for anything. I wasn't supporting Brown or the Tarheels with this post. The fact is that UNC carries a lot of weight in college sports and I personally want playoff expansion. So, I see his "attitude" as moving this issue to a place where I want it to go. If the reason the playoffs are expanded is because schools are tired of players opting out of bowls I would totally accept that.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:26 am

Didn’t mean to offend. Just a suggestion to be careful what you ask for. I to want a play off . I just prefer it be for a different reason.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:31 am

pop5app wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:26 am
Didn’t mean to offend. Just a suggestion to be careful what you ask for. I to want a play off . I just prefer it be for a different reason.
No offense taken. I personally know fans of other P5 schools that are tired and frustrated by NFL-bound players opting out of their final bowl games. I doubt that this would be THE reason playoffs are expanded but it could be another factor that the powers consider in expanding or not.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:43 am

IMO if you opt out, all your individual stats are eliminated from team record books, you become ineligible for school’s hall of fame, no conference championship or bowl rings and you agree to payback your scholarship. Bottom line finish the drill.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:02 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:43 am
IMO if you opt out, all your individual stats are eliminated from team record books, you become ineligible for school’s hall of fame, no conference championship or bowl rings and you agree to payback your scholarship. Bottom line finish the drill.
I'm not quite sure I understand this line of thinking. If a player is good enough to be drafted high and ensure life altering money why should they be penalized for not playing in an exhibition game? I get that we as fans want to see our guys win all the games and I love bowl games but at the end of the day 95% of them mean nothing. Also erasing these guys from the history books doesn't help the program, if a guy makes it in the league that's marketing for the program. These guys give a lot of time, effort and take a lot of risks with their health to make it this far, so if you're guaranteed to make it to the next level and you're not playing for a national/conference championship why take the risk of injury?
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:20 am

I'm not sure that Macks version of expanding the playoffs would include any G-5 teams....

I bet in the future this may impact the amount of carries/receptions/playing time for instance of your primary running back/receiver/quarterback in the regular season in anticipation of some opting out and others having to step in. I watched the UNC bowl game and they were definitely impacted by who opted out. I'm not a UNC fan, but it could have made the difference in that game.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:36 am

I’ve heard more than one talking head on sports radio siding with “opt out” guys saying that the bowl game is more of a meaningless exhibition game. While there is some truth to that as is pertains to a lower level bowl- a stud running back chooses not to play in the ABC Toilet Bowl his 6-6 squad is in, a stud QB opting out of a playoff game is different IMO. These guys gladly accept a full ride scholarship and play in the regular season games but then can’t finish the deal? I see both sides of the argument. How is this different from the NBA lottery guy basically opting out of the last 3 years of college because he doesn’t want to risk injury in college and enters the draft? I realize that in the case of the football player he isn’t finishing the season but either way it’s an opt out situation.

I would love to see an expanded playoff but for merit purposes not because of this opt out deal. I’ve personally thought that a viable solution is to eliminate conference championship games altogether unless one is needed to really determine a champion- say the winner of the SB East and West are both undefeated and didn’t play each other. Give the top two ranked teams a bye and then let the next best 4 teams play on New Years Day- next top 3 P5 and top G5.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:37 am

He also has said more than once, including on CFP selection day, that G5 should have its own separate playoff and player awards. I like Mack, but hard pass for me on whatever his vision is.

Besides that, expanding the playoff is only relevant for however many teams are in the playoff (presumably somewhere between eight and sixteen). It would make the remaining bowls even less prestigious. Assuming you want to keep those in existence and make them feel more relevant, you need to come up with something more.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:38 am

Appstate88 wrote:
So, pretend the player never existed because you're mad at them. Got it.

If you want to rant at guys, go for it. If you want to actually find a solution, probably needs to be more collaborative and less antagonistic.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:41 am

Appstate88 wrote:
I can't say that I agree with this level of penalty but I understand the sentiment. If I were an NFL scout and was considering a player who opted out of their bowl game, I would take that information as a commentary on that player's commitment and attitude towards the team. I would rather have a player with a commitment to the team and a willingness to contribute than one who played "scared". I'm sure there are cases when it might make sense, such as the player has a nagging injury that needs to heal completely or some other factors but opting out would definitely be in the negative column.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:48 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:41 am
Appstate88 wrote:
I can't say that I agree with this level of penalty but I understand the sentiment. If I were an NFL scout and was considering a player who opted out of their bowl game, I would take that information as a commentary on that player's commitment and attitude towards the team. I would rather have a player with a commitment to the team and a willingness to contribute than one who played "scared". I'm sure there are cases when it might make sense, such as the player has a nagging injury that needs to heal completely or some other factors but opting out would definitely be in the negative column.
You could. But real NFL front offices don't.

BTW, one of the first players to publicly opt out of a bowl game was Christian McCaffery.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:26 am

Opting out = quitting on your team

Expanded playoffs aren't a solution = 1-8 seeding probably 6 -7 blowout games based on history of the CFP? Does that help the sport?
BLACK SATURDAY

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:47 am

pop5app wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

Exactly! Win your conference and be rewarded with a playoff spot. 12 is the number for the playoff.

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:56 am

Regardless of what angle people are using as an argument for an expanded playoff system, I'm just glad people are fighting for it. I would love at least an 8 team system that guaranteed a G5 team but even if they don't guarantee a G5 slot, this year we would have had Cincinnati in that slot due to them being #8, so it may not be a guarantee but at least there would be a pathway unlike there is now with just 4 teams.
I do find the opt in opt out discussion interesting, more playoff games I believe would result in more participation from the starters.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:59 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:48 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:41 am
Appstate88 wrote:
You could. But real NFL front offices don't.

BTW, one of the first players to publicly opt out of a bowl game was Christian McCaffery.
I don't think the NFL cares one way or the other about opt-outs. I do think there should be some consequence for the player though. By accepting an athletic grant-in-aid he or she made a commitment. It could be something as simple as paying back some of the grant. Teaching Fellows recipients had to do that back in the day if they didn't fulfil the requirement to teach in NC for x number of years. I didn't like it when McCaffery did it and I don't like it now. I understand it but I don't like it. If I were a teammate of a player who opted out I would have a hard time continuing the same relationship with that teammate. I was somewhat appalled at the video that Kyle Pitts sent to his Gator teammates prior to the Cotton Bowl. All I heard was, "good luck boys, Ima go get mine."
WE ARE YOSEF!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:04 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:47 am
pop5app wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

Exactly! Win your conference and be rewarded with a playoff spot. 12 is the number for the playoff.
I like the idea of 12 with the top 4 receiving byes. But it still only leaves 2 at-large berths. Not sure the P-5 would go for that.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:06 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:26 am

Expanded playoffs aren't a solution = 1-8 seeding probably 6 -7 blowout games based on history of the CFP? Does that help the sport?
Black Saturday this is a very narrow minded argument. To say more playoff games shouldn't happen because there would be blowouts, maybe, or maybe not. Why don't we just roll the dice between Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State every year and give them the trophy and not play the game at all?
Expanding the playoffs would put more eyeballs on the TV, it would give more teams including possibly G5 teams a pathway to a NC. Perspective players would see that they don't have to just go to Alabama, Clemson or whoever and sit on the bench for years to get a shot at a Championship, they could go to teams that could start right away and still play for a championship. It would eventually start to level out some talent gaps. There might be some blowouts but we wouldn't be left with questions about how good a team is at the end of the year who finished undefeated with no shot at the playoffs.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:09 pm

Deano wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:06 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:26 am

Black Saturday this is a very narrow minded argument. To say more playoff games shouldn't happen because there would be blowouts, maybe, or maybe not. Why don't we just roll the dice between Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State every year and give them the trophy and not play the game at all?
Expanding the playoffs would put more eyeballs on the TV, it would give more teams including possibly G5 teams a pathway to a NC. Perspective players would see that they don't have to just go to Alabama, Clemson or whoever and sit on the bench for years to get a shot at a Championship, they could go to teams that could start right away and still play for a championship. It would eventually start to level out some talent gaps. There might be some blowouts but we wouldn't be left with questions about how good a team is at the end of the year who finished undefeated with no shot at the playoffs.
Yes, we had 4 teams this year with two blowouts and the potential for a third. It would take a few years but expansion could eventually level the field, somewhat.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”