Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Decision Announcements

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: Decision Announcements

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:48 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:31 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:37 am
As of now, looks like we are only replacing 2 starters on the oline and SJC at CB. That’s if Jolly stays and you exclude Malik whether he stays or not because Sutton returning. Guessing Daley takes the RG position and Luke Smith at C. Stephen Jones appears ready to start at CB for Shemar. Thoughts?
It appears to be a good chance that Hunter moves to center. He has apparently gotten some reps there in practice and it would make sense with his experience. You prefer to put an experienced guy at that spot if you can.
If Hunter moves to C, does that put McClurg at RG?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:13 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:52 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:49 pm
The Rock wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:01 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:01 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:55 pm

Sure about that?
Unless some things have changed that I have not heard yet, yes. Would love to have him back! But, as of now, he's not even a student at App.
He is in school. Listed on their website as Kwon R Anderson. Freshman in exercise science
I was about to say same thing. Last thing I heard was that he was indeed in school and trying to return to the program but that came from someone who claimed to talk to a coach. We definitely need him back. He is a talented player. My question is do we move him back to WR and Castle back to LB or keep them both at RB if we don't get anyone in the portal? I would be fine with not getting someone from the portal if Harrington could return. It is still early in the injury overall and he could end up ahead of schedule and be back in August. I would think if we have Peoples, Noel, Anderson, Castle, and Harrington that starting with 5 would be fine. I guess with the fact Peoples has been hurt, Anderson did not play in 2020, and Harrington was hurt makes people worry about injuries again.
I believe Anderson and Castle both stay at RB and we’ll try to bring in a transfer as well. Then hope Harrington recovers quickly, but we’re prepared if he doesn’t.
I agree with this. I think they both stay at RB because that is where the need is greatest. Anderson has been away from the team for a year and probably has a lot to prove to get back into the rotation, although I wouldn't mind seeing him at slot receiver some. Castle could be a short yardage back, or almost like a FB in certain situations. I don't think we can count on Harrington playing much this season if at all, but especially not early in the season.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:30 am

Anderson has a lot of hoops to jump through to get back on the field. Harrington is almost a lock to miss the entire season. I believe It is safe to say that Cam’s performance in the bowl game, makes it reasonable to assume that the upcoming season may be his last as a Mountaineer. I think that it’s possible that we look for at least one, if not two RBs in the portal. We may not necessarily sign one, but it’s possible.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:45 am

A crazy thought on Harrington: If he does miss the season (or enough of it to redshirt), that would be two seasons that he's missed due to injury. That should make him a pretty easy case to qualify for a medical redshirt/6th year should he want it. Then with this past year not counting, he technically could be eligible to be a 7th year senior eventually.

Seems doubtful he'd actually pursue that, but possible under the rules.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:56 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:45 am
A crazy thought on Harrington: If he does miss the season (or enough of it to redshirt), that would be two seasons that he's missed due to injury. That should make him a pretty easy case to qualify for a medical redshirt/6th year should he want it. Then with this past year not counting, he technically could be eligible to be a 7th year senior eventually.

A lot of people go to school for 7 years. They are called Doctors.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:02 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:56 am
EastHallApp wrote:

So so Pastors and Lawyers.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:09 am

AppSt94 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

Fat guy in a little coat🎶

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:42 am

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:48 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
As of now, looks like we are only replacing 2 starters on the oline and SJC at CB. That’s if Jolly stays and you exclude Malik whether he stays or not because Sutton returning. Guessing Daley takes the RG position and Luke Smith at C. Stephen Jones appears ready to start at CB for Shemar. Thoughts?
It appears to be a good chance that Hunter moves to center. He has apparently gotten some reps there in practice and it would make sense with his experience. You prefer to put an experienced guy at that spot if you can.
There isn't a McClurg on the roster, so not likely.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:44 am

That is a problem.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:47 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:42 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
I have an inside source 🤫

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:29 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:42 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Most of you guys know him as McFarland, but his closest friends call him McClurg. You guys probably don’t know that.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:35 am

AppSt94 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:31 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:30 am
Anderson has a lot of hoops to jump through to get back on the field. Harrington is almost a lock to miss the entire season. I believe It is safe to say that Cam’s performance in the bowl game, makes it reasonable to assume that the upcoming season may be his last as a Mountaineer. I think that it’s possible that we look for at least one, if not two RBs in the portal. We may not necessarily sign one, but it’s possible.
I don't have inside info here but I have seen players go through rehab and respond quicker than expected. I know there are media reports that he will miss the entire season but it will be interesting to see if he somehow returns earlier. Sometimes players do rehab faster than expected and it is still early. Maybe we know something concrete around June or early July?

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Chandler Staton just tweeted that he will be back for one more year!!
Give Em Hell!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:23 pm

We can probably all agree that this season was just a complete cluster and I’m thankful that I got to see some App football. When the NCAA made the ruling that this year was a freebie there had to be thoughts that the entire season would either not happen or would come crashing down within a few weeks. Obviously there were more unknowns than certainties. That being said, in hindsight perhaps there should have been more criteria attached to the ruling. Maybe if a team was able to play a minimum number of games that counted as a season but if a player opted out he would not be penalized. I bring this up not to say that I necessarily disagree with the decision but to offer up the counter argument. It’s a given that funding about 10 or so more scholarships is going to be expensive although if we lose 10 guys to the portal (hope not) it’s a wash. Is it safe to assume that the guys coming back expect to start again? There will certainly be some pressure on the coaches to make tough decisions. What if we genuinely have younger guys who simply beat out this 5th or 6th year guy? I know what the hardcore guy will say but seriously this could have some negative ripple effect through teams. I hope the team chemistry remains intact.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:23 pm
We can probably all agree that this season was just a complete cluster and I’m thankful that I got to see some App football. When the NCAA made the ruling that this year was a freebie there had to be thoughts that the entire season would either not happen or would come crashing down within a few weeks. Obviously there were more unknowns than certainties. That being said, in hindsight perhaps there should have been more criteria attached to the ruling. Maybe if a team was able to play a minimum number of games that counted as a season but if a player opted out he would not be penalized. I bring this up not to say that I necessarily disagree with the decision but to offer up the counter argument. It’s a given that funding about 10 or so more scholarships is going to be expensive although if we lose 10 guys to the portal (hope not) it’s a wash. Is it safe to assume that the guys coming back expect to start again? There will certainly be some pressure on the coaches to make tough decisions. What if we genuinely have younger guys who simply beat out this 5th or 6th year guy? I know what the hardcore guy will say but seriously this could have some negative ripple effect through teams. I hope the team chemistry remains intact.
Just a question. Do coaches have to honor the scholarships of the 5th or 6th year seniors coming back or can they say thanks for your service but we are going in another direction at that position? Again just asking a question to get clarity.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:42 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Just a question. Do coaches have to honor the scholarships of the 5th or 6th year seniors coming back or can they say thanks for your service but we are going in another direction at that position? Again just asking a question to get clarity.
They aren’t required to. I’m sure that tough conversations were had but in the end, you can’t take everyone. And I’m sure that some guys were just ready to move on. FYI. Some of the guys that are coming back aren’t doing it on scholarship.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:53 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:42 am
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
They aren’t required to. I’m sure that tough conversations were had but in the end, you can’t take everyone. And I’m sure that some guys were just ready to move on. FYI. Some of the guys that are coming back aren’t doing it on scholarship.
Thank you for the clarification

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:16 am

So just for clarification let’s say hypothetically that team A has 10 guys from this year’s team decide to come back for another year and all of them graduate this year do they all have to apply for and get into a graduate program or can they take a minimum number of classes for an additional degree? If graduate school is the only option don’t they have to be accepted academically? If they can go either route couldn’t they technically drop out after the first semester? I’m not assuming this scenario for our guys but I’ve been curious how this freebie is supposed to work academically across the board. There is already an option in place for a guy to get an extra year at another school if he is enrolled in that school’s grad program and it’s not offered at his original school- is that correct?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:53 am

I’m not sure what parameters the NCAA put into place to stay. I would assume that there would have to be a clear path towards the a degree of some sort. But as far as Grad School. Yes, if they go that route, they have to apply and be accepted to a program.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”