Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Texas State and the Transfer Portal

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
goapps93

Texas State and the Transfer Portal

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:52 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Spavital and Texas State signed no incoming freshmen in this year's class, only transfers. Interesting.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... prospects/
WE ARE YOSEF!

NavyApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Texas State and the Transfer Portal

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:04 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:52 pm
Not sure if this has been mentioned but Spavital and Texas State signed no incoming freshmen in this year's class, only transfers. Interesting.

This is so weird to me. The program has been stuck in the doldrums for a while now. Seems like the HC doesn't trust his coaching staffs ability to identify talent at the HS level, so they are taking guys they have college tape on. At the end of the day its so odd, but will be fun to watch play out.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:01 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:04 pm
goapps93 wrote:

This is so weird to me. The program has been stuck in the doldrums for a while now. Seems like the HC doesn't trust his coaching staffs ability to identify talent at the HS level, so they are taking guys they have college tape on. At the end of the day its so odd, but will be fun to watch play out.
While they are reporting it as a possible short term strategy, perhaps he's way outside the box and this is a long term strategy. Rather than invest money and time recruiting, just find kids that rated high and are looking for playing time. No worries about de-commits. Perhaps, they build a rallying point and brotherhood like the old Oakland Raiders teams of cast-offs. In a state with so many D1 schools, it's certainly a way to zig when the others are zagging.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:13 am

If something's not working the traditional way for years and years then why not try something totally different. The extra Covid year of eligibility and new transfer rules makes it the perfect time to try this. Perhaps if they can get some winning seasons going they can maybe change the trajectory of the program.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:36 am

I have wondered how this coming year would play out. Schools like App will have as many as 10 returning players who are given the extra year. While those extra spots don’t count against the 85 scholarships (I believe) they still have to be paid for. In states like North Carolina there was no fall football and in many counties we will see 6 game seasons. That being said kids who were recruited only had tape for probably 1 real season. With so many hitting the transfer portal players and schools get freebies so to speak.

How does it work with scholarship cost in terms of players transferring in from out of state? If, say 15 guys come to a Texas State from other schools not in Texas does that increase their cost? Is that the same for App? In terms of athletic scholarships in general is there a cost difference for out of state kids versus in state?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:00 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:36 am
I have wondered how this coming year would play out. Schools like App will have as many as 10 returning players who are given the extra year. While those extra spots don’t count against the 85 scholarships (I believe) they still have to be paid for. In states like North Carolina there was no fall football and in many counties we will see 6 game seasons. That being said kids who were recruited only had tape for probably 1 real season. With so many hitting the transfer portal players and schools get freebies so to speak.

How does it work with scholarship cost in terms of players transferring in from out of state? If, say 15 guys come to a Texas State from other schools not in Texas does that increase their cost? Is that the same for App? In terms of athletic scholarships in general is there a cost difference for out of state kids versus in state?
In terms of scholarship cost, the tuition, room and board price tag is the same for students in the general population. Where it adds up is the headcount cost for the ancillary amenities, such as, nutrition, tutors, and the like. Hope that helps.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:14 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:00 am
bigdaddyg wrote:

In terms of scholarship cost, the tuition, room and board price tag is the same for students in the general population. Where it adds up is the headcount cost for the ancillary amenities, such as, nutrition, tutors, and the like. Hope that helps.
So is a student/athlete from Florida who is attending App an out of state student? If a non-athlete from Florida attends App he or she pays out-of-state tuition which is higher. In terms of the room,board and tuition (regular stuff) for the Florida recruit are those costs higher for the school since that person is not a NC resident? Or is it different for athletics?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:24 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:14 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:00 am
bigdaddyg wrote:

So is a student/athlete from Florida who is attending App an out of state student? If a non-athlete from Florida attends App he or she pays out-of-state tuition which is higher. In terms of the room,board and tuition (regular stuff) for the Florida recruit are those costs higher for the school since that person is not a NC resident? Or is it different for athletics?
I think that a student and a student athlete from out of state are charged the same.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:31 am

There used to be a law (maybe just a rule) that allowed out of state athletes on scholarship to be treated as in state for purposes of costs. It has been a long time since I looked it up and it might have changed but I know at one time the out of state players cost the school the same amount.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:39 am

This seems like a desperation move, but I guess he has to do something. With the extra year granted for COVID, he is apparently treating this as a freebie year in terms of continuity. We will see how it turns out.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:09 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:31 am
There used to be a law (maybe just a rule) that allowed out of state athletes on scholarship to be treated as in state for purposes of costs. It has been a long time since I looked it up and it might have changed but I know at one time the out of state players cost the school the same amount.
The NC General Assembly figured that loop-hole out several (15-18) years ago or more. Institutions had to refund the state for each out-of-state scholarship athlete and the refund was retroactive for a number of years. I don't recall that number, but App State took a big hit. This would have been in the Coach Moore/Laney/Dreibelbis era!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:03 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:09 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:31 am
The NC General Assembly figured that loop-hole out several (15-18) years ago or more. Institutions had to refund the state for each out-of-state scholarship athlete and the refund was retroactive for a number of years. I don't recall that number, but App State took a big hit. This would have been in the Coach Moore/Laney/Dreibelbis era!

Which is one of the reasons we used so many walk-on "scholarships."
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:21 pm

Some states have waivers for out-of-state athletes that if their major isn't offered at a public institution in their home state, they get in-state tuition rates. I think Coastal has or continues to use this.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:23 pm

goapps93 wrote:

In some states I can understand this strategy, but in a state like TEXAS with high school head coaches and the egos they have, this seems like a long-term detriment.

Even though there's 22 (twenty two) D1 football programs in the state, this seems like foolishness.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”