Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Top 5 most dominant single-season App defensive performances

scatman77

Re: Top 5 most dominant single-season App defensive performances

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:34 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:44 am
scatman77 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:08 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:29 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:22 pm
Devon Ford. Just going down memory lane .....
I thought Devon Ford was an offensive player. Did I forget?
Freshman year he started out as a DB then switched WR

He also ran PR and KR didn't he, Mike?
Yes he did. Devon was some more fast. He ran the 100 and 200 for outdoor track too.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:11 pm

I am not as much of a stat head as some but just from my eye test I would say the best individual defenders that I have seen at App are Coakley, Stevens and Lynch. That is in no way a slight to all the other awesome defensive players that we have had over the years, but those 3 stand out to me. I never ever lacked faith that if the ball came anywhere near those three that the play would always be made. Lynch especially stands out for his special teams play and his propensity to block kicks. Everyone knows about Michigan but he had done it so many times prior to that game, that I actually told my brother and father (while we were with him beside in ICU) as we listened to the game that Corey would block that fg. It wasn't even a question in my mind. Those 3 are on my App Defense Mount Rushmore, but I realize that doesn't add anything to the original topic, just late night drunk rambling.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:11 pm
I am not as much of a stat head as some but just from my eye test I would say the best individual defenders that I have seen at App are Coakley, Stevens and Lynch. That is in no way a slight to all the other awesome defensive players that we have had over the years, but those 3 stand out to me. I never ever lacked faith that if the ball came anywhere near those three that the play would always be made. Lynch especially stands out for his special teams play and his propensity to block kicks. Everyone knows about Michigan but he had done it so many times prior to that game, that I actually told my brother and father (while we were with him beside in ICU) as we listened to the game that Corey would block that fg. It wasn't even a question in my mind. Those 3 are on my App Defense Mount Rushmore, but I realize that doesn't add anything to the original topic, just late night drunk rambling.
I can concur with those 3. I would say Dino Hackett would be right there with them if he had one more season like he did as a senior. Jason Hunter was really special but just one season makes it hard to put him on Mount Rushmore. Rico Mack is another name to consider closely. We have had a lot of great defenders indeed.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:46 pm

Picking out a single season is just tough. Some of these guys played in such different eras I just don't know. Jaque Roman had some great seasons.

I'm not sure I could even pick the single best offensive season.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:09 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:11 pm
I can concur with those 3. I would say Dino Hackett would be right there with them if he had one more season like he did as a senior. Jason Hunter was really special but just one season makes it hard to put him on Mount Rushmore. Rico Mack is another name to consider closely. We have had a lot of great defenders indeed.
Especially during the Sparky Woods era.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:06 pm

I agree with t4pizza's approach here. I'm a numbers guy in my professional life, but one thing I know is that numbers don't always tell the whole story. That's why commentary is almost always provided in order to impose context. Lynch doesn't have the single season stats that some others do, but his consistency sets him apart, not just year to year but game to game. His impact on the game extends beyond his stats because he made the players around him better. Opponents also had to change game plans to adjust for him (thus decreasing his stats). It's just impossible for me not to include him with the elites.

Of course, opponents made adjustments for some of those other players as well. That is what makes Coakley's achievements even more amazing. I used to joke that we didn't actually have a single player named Coakley. That was just the name announcers used when they missed the call, because nobody could make that many tackles. That man was everywhere!

These are fun discussions, but I am terrible at narrowing down the lists because I don't want to exclude any of the truly great App players!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:20 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:30 am
There are many superb App defenders over the years. But as a tandem, Murrell and Hunter were an absolute nightmare for offensive coordinators back then. You have to appreciate the way they wrecked offenses on a weekly basis.

Watching them, it was like they were competing with one another on every play to see who could get to the QB/ballcarrier first.
The amount of points given up in the second halves of the 2005 national semifinals and finals? Zero. That's how dominant Hunter and Murrell was. And that included going against Furman's beast FB Jerome Felton and a UNI team that could throw the ball.

There was a play versus Coastal in 2005 where Lynch got an interception at like the App 25 or so, ran it past midfield, stumbled and fumbled the ball, and then Hunter picked up the ball, ran across the field for the last 30-40 yards into the end zone and threw the ball into the stands. I'll always remember that. It's insane that Hunter was not only down the field, but the first to pick up Lynch's fumble and still outran the Coastal offense.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:05 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:20 pm
Bootsy wrote:
There are many superb App defenders over the years. But as a tandem, Murrell and Hunter were an absolute nightmare for offensive coordinators back then. You have to appreciate the way they wrecked offenses on a weekly basis.

Watching them, it was like they were competing with one another on every play to see who could get to the QB/ballcarrier first.
The amount of points given up in the second halves of the 2005 national semifinals and finals? Zero. That's how dominant Hunter and Murrell was. And that included going against Furman's beast FB Jerome Felton and a UNI team that could throw the ball.

There was a play versus Coastal in 2005 where Lynch got an interception at like the App 25 or so, ran it past midfield, stumbled and fumbled the ball, and then Hunter picked up the ball, ran across the field for the last 30-40 yards into the end zone and threw the ball into the stands. I'll always remember that. It's insane that Hunter was not only down the field, but the first to pick up Lynch's fumble and still outran the Coastal offense.
That shows how great they were because they faced a lot of future NFL talent in those playoffs.

As for the Coastal game that is vintage Hunter. Do you remember seeing Hunter on special teams as a freshman? He was always the first down the field and would take the head off of returners. Truly a beast on the field.

I'll go out on a limb and say that if Hunter had Lynch's football intelligence, he would go down as the best DL we ever had and would be a close 2nd all-time best defender behind Coakley.

Don't know if you ever saw the pro day results for Hunter but he was 6'4 1/8, 232 pounds, and ran a 4.54 40. He also had a 35 inch vertical, 10'2 broad jump, 4.23 short shuttle, and 6.93 3-cone. He only had 22 bench reps but I would imagine he probably could have done 30+ once he bulked up to around 260-265 in the pros.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:25 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:17 am
appgrad98 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:04 am
I couldn't find stats to see how they stack up. But the only name I could think to add to the list was Matt Stevens.
Stevens is one of the top 5-10 defensive talents to ever come through App but I don't think he ever had that crazy monster production season. He had 7 picks one year but I put LeGree over him since he had 10. He had his senior year cut short due to injury so that potentially prevented him from having the type of season to break through.
Legree was one of the best ballhawks I've ever seen play the position. He always seemed to be in the right place.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:31 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:20 pm
Bootsy wrote:

Those 2 were a hell of a tandem to watch play. Sticks just enjoyed life and playing the game like no one else on that team. Celebrating that first championship on the field in Chattanooga with that roster will just be a joy in my life I'll never be able to forget.
The Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:56 pm

How quickly everyone forgets about DJ Smith...his first full game as a starter he had between 16 and 22 tackles, no?

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:15 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:25 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:17 am
appgrad98 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:04 am
I couldn't find stats to see how they stack up. But the only name I could think to add to the list was Matt Stevens.
Stevens is one of the top 5-10 defensive talents to ever come through App but I don't think he ever had that crazy monster production season. He had 7 picks one year but I put LeGree over him since he had 10. He had his senior year cut short due to injury so that potentially prevented him from having the type of season to break through.
Legree was one of the best ballhawks I've ever seen play the position. He always seemed to be in the right place.
Going back to my era the best ballhawk we had was Quinton McKinney. Q cover the receiver, knock him into next week, and smile at you. He could put a slobber-knocker on you and make you like it.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”