Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Marty Smith

teaasu76
School: Appalachian State

Marty Smith

Unread post by teaasu76 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:46 pm

Caught the end of the UNC-NC ST game. Marty Smith earns more points as top ESPN personality. He made a point of correcting Golic Sr. on his mis-pronuciation of Appalachian!!!

CoachRob

Re: Marty Smith

Unread post by CoachRob » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:54 pm

I caught that too, love that guy!

app73

Unread post by app73 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:27 pm

Watched the Coastal game and the lady calling the game called The Stink, Georgia State. She caught the mistake quickly and corrected that call as Georgia Southern.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:42 am

During our game they said our game with Georgia State had been postponed.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:19 pm

Marty Smith is a mountain guy. He knows how to pronounce correctly.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:08 pm

Hah. I do like him. He's been up to Boone for games and does a great job. Keeps things fun and light

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:08 pm

Dude may dress like a metrosexual, but down deep he's a hillbilly...just like many of us!

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:26 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:08 pm
Dude may dress like a metrosexual, but down deep he's a hillbilly...just like many of us!
oh, cletus.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:57 am

teaasu76 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:46 pm
Caught the end of the UNC-NC ST game. Marty Smith earns more points as top ESPN personality. He made a point of correcting Golic Sr. on his mis-pronuciation of Appalachian!!!
I mean, he's from the middle of no where Virginia in the mountains. They also say "Appalachian" the way we do. So his correction likely wasn't in regards to App State but rather where he is from.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:15 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:57 am
teaasu76 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:46 pm
I mean, he's from the middle of no where Virginia in the mountains. They also say "Appalachian" the way we do. So his correction likely wasn't in regards to App State but rather where he is from.
My mother was born in Giles County. At one time the Spartans had a powerhouse single wing offense.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:31 pm

Marty seems like a pretty cool guy and he is either a real mountain man or just does his damn homework with regard to how to pronounce names of the schools he's covering.

I pulled this from the "Got Mountain Life" website: "It is commonly stated that those who are from Appalachia pronounce it Appa-latch-uh. People who were born and raised in the area often believe that is the correct way to say the word. If you pronounce it any other way, you will likely be corrected." Damn straight you'll be corrected!

Also, the wife and I have been watching the new CBS show "Clarice," a spin off of the "Silence of the Lambs" movie series and at one point a senior agent calls the area they are in Appa-lay-shuh ; it took about 1/2 second for junior agent Starling to correct him. I really appreciated that little kernel. Maybe Golic was watching too.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:05 pm

mikeyosef wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:31 pm
Marty seems like a pretty cool guy and he is either a real mountain man or just does his damn homework with regard to how to pronounce names of the schools he's covering.

I pulled this from the "Got Mountain Life" website: "It is commonly stated that those who are from Appalachia pronounce it Appa-latch-uh. People who were born and raised in the area often believe that is the correct way to say the word. If you pronounce it any other way, you will likely be corrected." Damn straight you'll be corrected!

Also, the wife and I have been watching the new CBS show "Clarice," a spin off of the "Silence of the Lambs" movie series and at one point a senior agent calls the area they are in Appa-lay-shuh ; it took about 1/2 second for junior agent Starling to correct him. I really appreciated that little kernel. Maybe Golic was watching too.
I believe the "latch" versus "lay" carries to coast of NC. if you are speaking to people that are "born and bred" in NC. While growing up as a kid on the coast, it was Appa-latch-an....at least where I grew up anyway.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:06 pm

We all probably have varying degrees of care as it relates to the pronunciation of our university. Some people go nuts and some couldn’t care less. It bothers me a little and I’ll correct someone. If a knowledgeable sports guy does it that pisses me off I’ll admit. This has me thinking and asking a question- is there another prominent university that gets mispronounced as much as ours? I honestly can’t think of one. Clempson might be one but I doubt those folks care.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:16 pm

In the front of our football press guide is a chart detailing how to pronounce different players on our team with unusual names or spellings of names. Also listed in that chart is our university's phonetic spelling. Wonder how many other FBS programs feel the need to make sure the media know how to pronounce the school's name correctly?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:20 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:06 pm
We all probably have varying degrees of care as it relates to the pronunciation of our university. Some people go nuts and some couldn’t care less. It bothers me a little and I’ll correct someone. If a knowledgeable sports guy does it that pisses me off I’ll admit. This has me thinking and asking a question- is there another prominent university that gets mispronounced as much as ours? I honestly can’t think of one. Clempson might be one but I doubt those folks care.
I know one in our very own state. EASY-U..Versus E-C-U.. 😁 Couldn't resist
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:46 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:06 pm
Xavier gets pronounced "X-zavier" instead properly as "Zavier."

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:22 pm

Many mispronounce Ne-VAD-ah - that is how natives told me how to say it - not Ne-VAH-dah - Growing up in Bluefield West BY GOD Virginia we all knew the proper pronunciation of
Appa-LATCH-un - as the regional power company was Appa-LATCH-un Power and the minor league baseball had been The Appa-LATCH-un League as far back as I can remember -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:29 pm

The correct pronunciation of Georgia around here is Jawjaw.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:04 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:29 pm
The correct pronunciation of Georgia around here is Jawjaw.
And for those in Statesboro it’s just a series of grunts.

GO APPS!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”