Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CFP Expansion- Not So Fast

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

CFP Expansion- Not So Fast

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:52 am

Looks like the expected playoff expansion may have hit a roadblock. Not really surprising to me based on all the recent moves/alliances in the past month.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... team-model

NavyApp

Re: CFP Expansion- Not So Fast

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:57 am

Really freezing out the G5 from the CFP. Wouldn't be surprised if they take the auto berth to the NY6 back due to these alliances.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:07 am

Im telling you the G5's can sue for racketeering..........

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:34 am

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:57 am
Really freezing out the G5 from the CFP. Wouldn't be surprised if they take the auto berth to the NY6 back due to these alliances.
We are watching the “freeze out” in slow motion. It will take some years but I have already resigned myself to the fact that we will be relegated to some form of second tier status. (FCS, 1-AA)

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:53 am

Here's what cracks me up. "power 5" phrase is made up. Granted, most of those conferences are good, but most of the teams suck. Each conf has 3-4 good teams. Lots of upper "group of 5" teams would destroy the Vanderbilt, GT, Wake Forest, Miss St. 50 more generic programs.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:43 am

pop5app wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:34 am
NavyApp wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:57 am
We are watching the “freeze out” in slow motion. It will take some years but I have already resigned myself to the fact that we will be relegated to some form of second tier status. (FCS, 1-AA)
It's crazy, but they tell us that's not what's happening. They want everyone believe they are making a better product. Really they are just protecting the Kansas, Rutgers, Illinois, Boston College,Vandy , Oregon States of the world like the previous poster mentioned. The rich get richer.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:14 pm

I’m glad that someone raised the question/observation regarding the P5 conferences. When exactly did those conferences get officially branded as P5 and when exactly did the G5’s get classified as such? What governing body decided this? Did ESPN make this determination? I’ve said it many times that probably a half or more of the P5 programs would struggle against the upper echelon of the G5. We saw what happened last year when a bunch of these schools had to play conference only games. When Duke or Wake can’t feast on Elon, ODU, Army and Southern Miss for their 3-4 non-conference wins suddenly a 3-5 or 4-4 (at best) record is the norm. All of these alliances and conference shifts aren’t exactly sanctioned by a league commissioner. Why don’t they skip the crap and just form 2 football only conferences of 12 teams each. Play every team in your conference once then let the two champions slug it out. The other 106 D1 can play for the college football championship while the 24 minor league schools can play for some corporate sponsored made for TV event. The players for those schools can work their deals and don’t have to pretend that they are going to school. This is a ridiculous and far-fetched idea and even if it happened the same old 4-6 teams would be mathematically alive after 9 or so games. The regular college teams would have exciting games and epic playoffs. They would not be FCS because the might 24 would have no affiliation with the NCAA.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:05 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:07 am
I've called it a Cartel for years and years. I'd guess our money games would be in jeopardy, because they'd be trying to accommodate each other with scheduling?
BLACK SATURDAY

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:39 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:05 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
I've called it a Cartel for years and years. I'd guess our money games would be in jeopardy, because they'd be trying to accommodate each other with scheduling?
Not only would I say our money games are in jeopardy, I would put money on the fact that we don't get paid for the contracts being broken.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:58 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:39 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Not only would I say our money games are in jeopardy, I would put money on the fact that we don't get paid for the contracts being broken.
Thanks Wisconsin.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:33 am

I've said it for years. ESPN is a joke and they're killing college football. ESPN is behind all of this. Were it not for live sports, they would be dead and gone. Unfortunately, here they are, stronger than ever.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:30 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:58 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Thanks Wisconsin.
There are always contracts but then there is common sense that has to be applied in special circumstances. This past year definitely fell into those situations. Since early last year numerous times my company had to apply that logic. It was just good business. I cannot blame Wisconsin or Gillin for ultimately taking the approach they did. He was looking at bigger picture and it may help us down the road.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:13 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:30 am
GregPercussion wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Thanks Wisconsin.
There are always contracts but then there is common sense that has to be applied in special circumstances. This past year definitely fell into those situations. Since early last year numerous times my company had to apply that logic. It was just good business. I cannot blame Wisconsin or Gillin for ultimately taking the approach they did. He was looking at bigger picture and it may help us down the road.
So are you guys saying we received no compensation for Wisconsin backing out of the game? What about Southern Miss?

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:13 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
GregPercussion wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Thanks Wisconsin.
So are you guys saying we received no compensation for Wisconsin backing out of the game? What about Southern Miss?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:17 pm

TractorApp wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:13 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
GregPercussion wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

Thanks Wisconsin.
It would seem both Wisconsin and Southern Miss would have a strong case for force majeure.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:35 pm

Gillen has said that we didn't go after Wisconsin because of Covid. If I recall correctly Southern Miss was a hurricane situation and I don't think we got any compensation, but I might be wrong on that one.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:51 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:35 pm
Gillen has said that we didn't go after Wisconsin because of Covid. If I recall correctly Southern Miss was a hurricane situation and I don't think we got any compensation, but I might be wrong on that one.
Southern Miss was a case of them chickening out.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:27 pm

I keep saying the only way to stop the insanity is a class action suit and cartel, cabal monopoly, anti trust ….whatever it is time to do something

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:52 am
Looks like the expected playoff expansion may have hit a roadblock. Not really surprising to me based on all the recent moves/alliances in the past month.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... team-model
The only conference that should want expansion to the CFP in the P5 is the SEC because it greatly benefits them after adding Texas and OU. If I ran the other leagues I’d be blocking the hell out of it.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:14 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:51 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:35 pm
Southern Miss was a case of them chickening out.
Completely agree, but unfortunately, since the weather prediction forced us to cancel the game at KBS, we were trying to work out an alternative. That gave them the option of backing out. If I recall, Chattanooga had agreed to host the game. The worst part is that the forecast never really worked out and the weather was actually pretty nice. The whole situation was messed up.

I completely believe that Southern Miss chose not to play because they didn't want to take an L.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”