Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ULL discussion

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Re: ULL discussion

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:23 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:07 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:03 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:58 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:56 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:47 pm

I usually agree with your takes. But who has Shawn Clark beaten? Marshall 2 weeks ago is his best win as coach. And they’re not even good.

If this team plays like this again next week it’ll be two weeks in a row getting pantsed on ESPN. How will that affect our program? Not in a good way.
He beat a 9-4 UAB team in a bowl game.

His losses are:

Louisiana 2x (home and away)
@ Coastal
@ Miami
@ Marshall

This year alone we have wins against 3-3 ECU and 3-3 Marshall. Do they both suck? I don’t think so, there’s lots of season left.

I mean the guy has almost 2 full seasons under his belt and has one home loss. And he’s on the hot seat???
You’re right that he’s not on the hot seat but it’s currently lukewarm and can move to warm next Wednesday.
If we get blown out again next week at home and look lost like tonight, I’ll increase my own heat meter, haha.

But I got a feeling we will bounce back and play a great game. Football is funny like that.
From your keyboard to the football gods ears!
Hahaha trust me if I had that kind of sway we would have left Happy Valley and Neyland with a W.
YNWA

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:47 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Can we let the games play out before condemning the season? Last year shouldn’t even be on anyone’s radar. It was throw away year. We got spanked tonight. But we haven’t lost to coastal yet. Before this game everyone was sure we’d go in and win over a now 5-1 Louisiana team. I’m not sure why it’s
So impossible to think we can’t beat coastal at our place next week. When dealing with 18-22 year old kids it’s always going to be a challenge each week. And here’s a news flash, the other team practices too
Was it though? Maybe it shouldn't have been?

One thing I know for sure is that the offensive line was a lot better with him in the room and that Ponce's offense looks a lot better when you have a guy that runs a 4.6 40 yard sprint under center.

I like Brice as a QB, but if you're going to run a power run with game with deep shots, two things have to work:

1. You have to complete your shots. App didn't do that tonight when given the opportunity. (Defensive pass interference beyond 15 yards should be a spot foul as well. The intentional nature of the pass interference is the definition of unsportsman like to me as well. Can't tackle a receiver because you're beat and then be rewarded for it, in my opinion.)

2. You have to have a power back. Both Harrington and Smith averaged more than 5 yards per carry tonight. Nate averaged half of that.

Those are bad coaching decisions based on personnel and are fixable. I hope Cam is back, but if he isn't, I hope to God that Smith or Castle is used as the bell cow because trying to have a power game with a scat back is not going to work. I love Noel as a runner in space, but if you have no space to work with, put in the guy who can soften up the defense.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:52 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:47 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Can we let the games play out before condemning the season? Last year shouldn’t even be on anyone’s radar. It was throw away year. We got spanked tonight. But we haven’t lost to coastal yet. Before this game everyone was sure we’d go in and win over a now 5-1 Louisiana team. I’m not sure why it’s
So impossible to think we can’t beat coastal at our place next week. When dealing with 18-22 year old kids it’s always going to be a challenge each week. And here’s a news flash, the other team practices too

One thing I know for sure is that the offensive line was a lot better with him in the room and that Ponce's offense looks a lot better when you have a guy that runs a 4.6 40 yard sprint under center.

I like Brice as a QB, but if you're going to run a power run with game with deep shots, two things have to work:

1. You have to complete your shots. App didn't do that tonight when given the opportunity. (Defensive pass interference beyond 15 yards should be a spot foul as well. The intentional nature of the pass interference is the definition of unsportsman like to me as well. Can't tackle a receiver because you're beat and then be rewarded for it, in my opinion.)

2. You have to have a power back. Both Harrington and Smith averaged more than 5 yards per carry tonight. Nate averaged half of that.

Those are bad coaching decisions based on personnel and are fixable. I hope Cam is back, but if he isn't, I hope to God that Smith or Castle is used as the bell cow because trying to have a power game with a scat back is not going to work. I love Noel as a runner in space, but if you have no space to work with, put in the guy who can soften up the defense.
I agree 100%. There is nothing wrong with having a third down or short yardage back. Definitely a personnel change that can net results. Also, nothing wrong with a two back package with a lead blocker or misdirection

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:17 am

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:47 pm
Seattleapp wrote:

I agree. I didn’t understand continuing to force Noel in short yardage situations nor did I understand some of the play calls for Brice to run.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:44 am

I’ve thought about it overnight - I feel the same. Getting blown out on national tv is bad. Any way you slice it, our dominance is over.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:52 am

People keep talking about which back to run, but when you get man handled at the line it’s not going to make much difference which one you put in. Watch this game again and you will see the underlying issue. We simply aren’t physically enough at any position much less either line. Speed is great until a 300# guy is standing in your way.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:04 am

As much as I hate one new aspect of college football- the transfer portal, it’s a reality and also a means to improve areas of a team quickly. We really need to work this to our advantage and I don’t mean going after a 3rd string safety or back from a P5. I’m talking about finding some beef on the lines. We got away with faster undersized linemen and linebackers for a while but that is not sustainable if we want to go 10-2 (or better) every year. Teams in our conference go get guys who are 20 years old and are bigger, stronger and faster than the 18-19 year old dudes we are waiting on to develop. We absolutely got pushed around physically last night in addition to getting punked coaching wise. It seems like every time we are on national TV the announcers point out that App is undersized on the line. We grumble about being tired of hearing it but thems the facts. I love the fight Spurlin brings but good lord the dude is what, 5’10” and 235? We have 10 guys at local high schools playing D line at that size. I am realistic to know that App isn’t getting 6’4” 300 lb 4 star mammoths but damn are we that limited?

Offensively do we not have the ability to throw a wide receiver screen or a seem route? Last night was Hennigan even playing? I love Corey but he simply isn’t that 40 yard down the field threat. He killed guys with that short sideline throw or slant and go type pass. I just didn’t get the running back decisions last night. What is wrong with Cam? Did Castle play a snap? Smith and Daetrich had i believe 2 carries each. Play calling was flat out awful.

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:22 am

Pitiful. Plum pitiful.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:28 am

Winning is hard. We played poorly against a good in conference peer. I underestimated ULL’s ability to play a complete game to their full potential. I didn’t expect App State to play their worst since maybe the 2018 Ga Southern loss in Statesboro.

We laid a big fat egg. They beat us in every stat last night. There were no bright spots other than PK. Just look at the box score.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/m ... =401309620

4 turnovers, 0-11 on third down, -13 minutes in time of possession are just three of many examples.

We need to watch the film to put this game to bed and move forward with resolve to compete for the East Division. Do this and we get another crack at ULL.

We as fans need to Pack the Rock and cheer on the Mountaineers. #beatcoastal
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:34 am

What I saw tonite I have been seeing for a year and a half: I hate to say it but this team and last years team resemble our FCS teams. I’m afraid Clark, coming from the Jerry Moore coaching tree, coaches very similar. Lest we forget , it took coach Moore 15 years to find a Natty and some incredibly bad and embarrassing losses along the way! The eye test of these teams is way to similar to those teams and I personally probably don’t 15 years for Shawn to learn how to coach.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:53 am

Our defense looked gassed from the get go. No intensity or sense of urgency from the offense, just seemed to be going through the motions. Terrible play calling. Terrible utilization of players. If they weren’t going to play People’s, not sure why they put Virgil as he didn’t appear ready to play. If Chase doesn’t play better against Coastal, might as well see what you have on the bench to get some meaningful snaps for next year.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:54 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:04 am
As much as I hate one new aspect of college football- the transfer portal, it’s a reality and also a means to improve areas of a team quickly. We really need to work this to our advantage and I don’t mean going after a 3rd string safety or back from a P5. I’m talking about finding some beef on the lines. We got away with faster undersized linemen and linebackers for a while but that is not sustainable if we want to go 10-2 (or better) every year. Teams in our conference go get guys who are 20 years old and are bigger, stronger and faster than the 18-19 year old dudes we are waiting on to develop. We absolutely got pushed around physically last night in addition to getting punked coaching wise. It seems like every time we are on national TV the announcers point out that App is undersized on the line. We grumble about being tired of hearing it but thems the facts. I love the fight Spurlin brings but good lord the dude is what, 5’10” and 235? We have 10 guys at local high schools playing D line at that size. I am realistic to know that App isn’t getting 6’4” 300 lb 4 star mammoths but damn are we that limited?

Offensively do we not have the ability to throw a wide receiver screen or a seem route? Last night was Hennigan even playing? I love Corey but he simply isn’t that 40 yard down the field threat. He killed guys with that short sideline throw or slant and go type pass. I just didn’t get the running back decisions last night. What is wrong with Cam? Did Castle play a snap? Smith and Daetrich had i believe 2 carries each. Play calling was flat out awful.
The one thing I kept hearing about the offense this year was how much "speed" there is. I personally have yet to see it displayed.

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:59 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:28 am
Winning is hard. We played poorly against a good in conference peer. I underestimated ULL’s ability to play a complete game to their full potential. I didn’t expect App State to play their worst since maybe the 2018 Ga Southern loss in Statesboro.

We laid a big fat egg. They beat us in every stat last night. There were no bright spots other than PK. Just look at the box score.

4 turnovers, 0-11 on third down, -13 minutes in time of possession are just three of many examples.

We need to watch the film to put this game to bed and move forward with resolve to compete for the East Division. Do this and we get another crack at ULL.

This was a good post 88. I was trying to think back to a game where the result felt the same and '18 at the Stink (34-14 loss) was it. Just could never get anything going and costly turnovers doomed us and same happened here. Run game never got in rhythm and our run defense last night was as soft as I've ever seen it. Call it what you want, unprepared, looking ahead, laid an egg, we just got drubbed. We technically still control the east so move on to Coastal and rebound strong.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:14 am

The decision to keep going back to Noel was just baffling to me. I know we do what we do and never compromise that, but damn.

I’ll be there next Wednesday cheering loud and proud. Beat Coastal!!

Zeke.Midas007
School: Other

Unread post by Zeke.Midas007 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:24 am

Appalachian State Mountaineer Football is alive and well. We beat that UL team seven STRAIGHT times, the scales were bound to balance at some point, you can make the argument that we're still on the right side of it. Napier has done a tremendous job of building a talented, physical, competitive football program. He called a hell of a game last night. As long as he is in Lafayette, the Cajuns will be a tough team to beat. They bested us last night. We have a heck of a program too! Let's feast on Beach Chicken next week! Jamey Chadwell is an a$$hat
"Well," said the wolf, "and I'll go and see her too. I'll go this way and go you that, and we shall see who will be there first."
- Zeke Midas aka The Big Bad Wolf

Parks&RecAPP

Unread post by Parks&RecAPP » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:25 am

Chase was Clemsoning...

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:42 am

QueencityApp wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:59 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:28 am

This was a good post 88. I was trying to think back to a game where the result felt the same and '18 at the Stink (34-14 loss) was it. Just could never get anything going and costly turnovers doomed us and same happened here. Run game never got in rhythm and our run defense last night was as soft as I've ever seen it. Call it what you want, unprepared, looking ahead, laid an egg, we just got drubbed. We technically still control the east so move on to Coastal and rebound strong.
This.

We got outcoached, manhandled on the line of scrimmage, and we were never in this game mentally. You are right that it reminds me of the GS game in 2018. We were never able to pull it together, and because of that we really weren't able to do anything to make adjustments. We were not prepared for the physical nature of this contest. Not sure it mattered who our QB or RB's were, when you take that kind of physical beating on the line of scrimmage not much is going to work. The defense looked lost.... I will say this, when you schedule the two best teams in the conference in back to back weeks, on nights that we aren't used to playing on, this type of thing can happen.

Kudo's to you Mr. Napier. You have figured this out for the moment. You took our lunch money, stole our ice cream, and we liked it.......
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

ASU843

Unread post by ASU843 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:48 am

Parks&RecAPP wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:25 am
Chase was Clemsoning...
???? Is that a word?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:55 am

Parks&RecAPP wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:25 am
Chase was Clemsoning...
?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:16 am

appbio91 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:34 pm
DAA4597A-4DCC-4C82-95EB-3CFEA7D5D86A.jpeg
I sure hope the coaches take a good long look at this. This doesn’t make any sense to me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”