Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:18 am

1.When we beat GaSo and then win another SBC Championship do you see us going to a bowl site with a match-up better than what we would have had with (for us) a mediocre season (such as the weird season like last year)?

2. Are any of you thinking like me that ECU has a chance to beat Cincy? small chance anyway

3. If I were a Cincy fan and we win out I would still be extremely worried that the "Experts" on the CFP committee would still jump Notre Dame over Cincy even though they lost the head to head - Cincy's SOS is terrible - the powers to be LOVE Notre Dame even though they always suck - even without ND if OK or OK St wins 2 straight over the other then they could jump them.

4. Do some of these college writers know more than us or do they just draw names out of a hat? - one ESPN guy on his bowl match-ups has TROY playing VA TECH???

5. Today who are the 4 teams you have in the Playoffs -
For me --- Georgia - Ohio State - Alabama - Okla State ---- Notre Dame, Cincinnati

6. Please, any other thoughts/ideas ....................
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:32 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:18 am
1.When we beat GaSo and then win another SBC Championship do you see us going to a bowl site with a match-up better than what we would have had with (for us) a mediocre season (such as the weird season like last year)?

2. Are any of you thinking like me that ECU has a chance to beat Cincy? small chance anyway

3. If I were a Cincy fan and we win out I would still be extremely worried that the "Experts" on the CFP committee would still jump Notre Dame over Cincy even though they lost the head to head - Cincy's SOS is terrible - the powers to be LOVE Notre Dame even though they always suck - even without ND if OK or OK St wins 2 straight over the other then they could jump them.

4. Do some of these college writers know more than us or do they just draw names out of a hat? - one ESPN guy on his bowl match-ups has TROY playing VA TECH???

For me --- Georgia - Ohio State - Alabama - Okla State ---- Notre Dame, Cincinnati

1. Hope so. if not better team, would prefer better location like Florida or Texas.
2. Not really,....if you put it in terms of Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber (Oscar Award should have won movie)....When the girl says 1 in a million chance..Carrey response..so your telling me there's are chance
3. Yes, I believe Cincy will be left out of the playoffs. It would have been better if they faced the Indiana team from last year or the year before...and even then it would have been tough.
4. Writers need to write...how many bowl matchups are ever right for the ones that do not have guaranteed matchups..not many
5. Gawgia, Bama (Auburn pull a miracle), Ohio State (please M beat them), ND over Okla. St. as it seems their is luck of the Irish when it comes to the selection committee. I badly want to see some new teams in the playoffs. The playoffs do not interest the last several years. I watch the other bowl games to see different teams. What I want is Gawgia, Oklahoma St. Some other Big Ten team besides OSU, and Cincy.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:29 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:

1. I see us going to one of the bowls we currently have ties ins.
2. There is always a chance. ECU will be a huge underdog but I will be pulling for them.
3. In my opinion G5 will never be in 4 team playoffs. Just my opinion. We will find out tonight. I think Michigan takes the 3 or 4 spot this week.
4. These guys are day dreaming, and not taking the time to consider bowl tie ins.
5. Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan and Cincinnati.
6. Would like to see a good match up in a bigger bowl. There was a shot a Bofa last year or year before can't remember, will have to see what P5 are not eligible and can't fill bowls.
Happy Thanksgiving week! Best the Stink!

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:53 pm

Well if another bowl opened up, I’d love to bookend the year with another game at BofA and you know the powers that be saw how many fans we brought at the beginning of the season…let’s do it again!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:53 pm

What we are seeing now with our latest drop in the rankings after completely demolishing a middling opponent is why I have told folks on this board repeatedly, you have to get into top 25 early and rise as high as possible throughout the season or else you won't be in it late. You cannot just say, "Oh, it only matters at the end of the season." Folks, if you are not in earlier it is very difficult to get back in from our SBC world. Our loss to Miami hurt us and that is just the way the system works. Pooh pooh them all you want but that is how the game is played.

I believe Clark has some compensation on the line for ending season ranked so there is financial implications at stake.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:12 pm

We beat GaSo and ranked LA and will probably be ranked - win another bowl on top of that and we will end up in the top 25
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:16 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:12 pm
We beat GaSo and ranked LA and will probably be ranked - win another bowl on top of that and we will end up in the top 25
Precisely and it's doable, I don't see us laying another egg at Louisiana, fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:46 pm

So right now we have 4 SBC teams bowl eligible with Troy and USA with 5 wins - Troy goes to GaST and USA to CCU - both certainly big underdogs = We all figure ULL is headed to New Orleans and CCU will be playing at home - So, again, none of you (us) know exactly how it works but if we are indeed the SBC at 11-2 (possibly ranked) does ESPN have a choice of where to send us OR - do the remaining tie-ins get the first shot at APP?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:01 pm

A bowl with UTSA would be interesting. It will more than likely be a team(s) such as Western Kentucky or Northern Illinois.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:04 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:01 pm
A bowl with UTSA would be interesting. It will more than likely be a team(s) such as Western Kentucky or Northern Illinois.
Yep - that's what I am figuring but does anyone know if ESPN can pick us for a non-tie-in game or do the tie-ins override?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:40 pm

For me - I want App to play the best team we can get in a bowl - I do not care about the name of the bowl - just the best competition - want to show the App State product.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:01 pm

Yes - I think we would all agree with you on that
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:05 am

I agree with Yosef1986, I don't care which bowl, but I want to play the best out there. Ciny, SMU, Houston or UTSA would be GREAT!!! We need to show the world we have the best G5 team in the country.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:01 pm

Again - Agreed --- but do you think it is possible for one of those match-ups?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:05 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:01 pm
UTSA IN Dallas on Dec 28th is possible.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:07 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:

4. these writers are either just putting these schools together like Troy vs VT for clicks or they truly don't understand how the process works. ESPN has us playing Mizzou, which would be great, but it's not going to happen because of the lack of bowl eligible teams in the sun belt and the fact that we're pretty much stuck playing the same shit teams in these bowls.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:29 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:

2. There is always a chance. ECU will be a huge underdog but I will be pulling for them.
3. In my opinion G5 will never be in 4 team playoffs. Just my opinion. We will find out tonight. I think Michigan takes the 3 or 4 spot this week.
4. These guys are day dreaming, and not taking the time to consider bowl tie ins.
6. Would like to see a good match up in a bigger bowl. There was a shot a Bofa last year or year before can't remember, will have to see what P5 are not eligible and can't fill bowls.
Cincy will make it this year but only because they've been really good for the last 3 years. You can't be a one-season-wonder from the G5 and make the playoff sadly.

Georgia
Ohio State
Cincy
ND

That's how the playoff will look imo.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 pm
Yosefus wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:29 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:

Cincy will make it this year but only because they've been really good for the last 3 years. You can't be a one-season-wonder from the G5 and make the playoff sadly.

Georgia
Ohio State
Cincy
ND

That's how the playoff will look imo.
Should it go that way

Cincy and ND don't have a chance to win against either Georgia or Ohio St

And the finals will look like this:

Georgia
Ohio State

GA will probably be favored but Ohio State has a chance to win because of their passing game?
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:33 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:05 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:01 pm
UTSA IN Dallas on Dec 28th is possible.
I want that matchup
BLACK SATURDAY

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:41 pm

1. Better than Myrtle Beach, yes, but still from the same group of Sun Belt tie-ins. My uneducated guess is Orlando.

2. Verrrrrry small.

3. If I were a Cincy fan I'd be rooting for Notre Dame. I hear you and agree the committee will go for the name brands whenever possible, but putting ND in over Cincy would be a stretch even for them. I'd want that win to carry maximum value since they've already indicated they're going to discount everything else Cincy has done.

4. Those ESPN guys regularly project bowl appearances that make no sense. Pretty clear they spend very little time or thought on the G5 bowls.

5. As of today? Georgia, OSU, Bama, Cincy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”