Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Bowl announcements for other schools

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: Bowl announcements for other schools

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:46 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:46 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:44 am
I’d thought I saw that Hawaii Bowl wasn’t being played in Hawaii this year. Isn’t the Famous Toastery Bowl it’s replacement this year? Did I completely dream this scenario?
You are thinking of the Bahamas Bowl. That is being played in Charlotte.
So I didn’t dream it, I’m just dumb.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:47 am

AppSt94 wrote:
I’d thought I saw that Hawaii Bowl wasn’t being played in Hawaii this year. Isn’t the Famous Toastery Bowl it’s replacement this year? Did I completely dream this scenario?
You are thinking of the Bahamas Bowl. That is being played in Charlotte.
So I didn’t dream it, I’m just dumb.
I chalk it up to the holiday season. :D

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:58 am

McMurphy's latest, boldest items are announced or from multiple sources:

Charlotte - ODU vs WKU
New Orleans - Louisiana vs Jax State
Orlando - App vs Liberty
Myrtle Beach - Georgia State vs Ohio
Frisco - Texas State vs Rice
Boca Raton - Georgia Southern vs USF
Tampa - Troy vs UCF
Montgomery - Arkansas State vs NIU
Fort Worth - JMU vs Air Force
Boise - Marshall vs Utah State
Mobile - South Alabama vs Eastern Michigan
Hawaii - Coastal vs San Jose State

GS, Troy, and JMU have done well in the backroom decisions. App has wanted the Cure bowl and we tend to play nice with ESPN in an effort to ask for favors later. Marshall and USA seem to have "slid" from better bowls in prior projections.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:01 am

AppSt94 wrote:
appstcyclist wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:36 am
Any chance we get the Myrtle Beach Bowl? Or do you all think it is very likely we get the Cure bowl?
The Cure Bowl is where I would put my money on the likelihood. An App win tomorrow probably locks that up.
I don't think our result tomorrow will impact the destination, other games may impact the opponent however.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:02 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:58 am

Charlotte - ODU vs WKU
Orlando - App vs Liberty
Tampa - Troy vs UCF

GS, Troy, and JMU have done well in the backroom decisions. App has wanted the Cure bowl and we tend to play nice with ESPN in an effort to ask for favors later. Marshall and USA seem to have "slid" from better bowls in prior projections.
Sure would be nice to hand another undefeated team their first loss.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:03 am

If Tulane loses to SMU would Liberty be the highest rated G5 and get the NY6? They are 12-0 but still only 24th ranked and their conference is garbage.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:05 am

SMU will get the NY6 if Tulane doesn't, name matters and they're headed to the ACC next year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:49 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:01 am
AppSt94 wrote:
appstcyclist wrote:
Any chance we get the Myrtle Beach Bowl? Or do you all think it is very likely we get the Cure bowl?
The Cure Bowl is where I would put my money on the likelihood. An App win tomorrow probably locks that up.
I don't think our result tomorrow will impact the destination, other games may impact the opponent however.
The only thing that I can see impacting the change would be the results tomorrow. Could a win tomorrow flip us to Tampa? I know DG wants the Cure Bowl.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:21 am

Parks&RecAPP wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:58 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:34 am
If a player enters the TP before the bowl I’m not sure I’d take them to the bowl game. Maybe a grad transfer.
I'm clearly not a college football coach, but if I were, once that player hits the portal, clean out your locker and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Easy to say, but remember that not only do coaches (and fans) want to win the game, but many coaches have financial incentives tied to winning a bowl game.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:28 am

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:25 pm
biggie wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:29 pm
Appears ULL to NOLA.
I kind of wanted to take another trip down there. It's been a while
I'm afraid it's going to be tough for us to ever go to New Orleans under the current selection framework, with them locked into the #2 choice and everything else flexible. With so many teams closer than us, the NOLA Bowl will likely go for one with more fans nearby. Taking 6-6 ULL this year underscores that. The exception might be if we have a really outstanding, top 25 type year... but in that case, I'd assume ESPN will place us somewhere with that first selection.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:46 am

AppSt94 wrote:
appstcyclist wrote:
Considering the bowl choice slots, I feel like App's destination is already set as Cure. I'd rather it be the Gasparilla against UCF while Troy gets Birmingham against WVU.

I just really hope the game isn't against Liberty. I know some people would like that since Liberty will likely be ranked but I don't like them, don't like their school, and don't like the megachurch evangelist vibes they give off. "Give me your money and I will build the countries best athletics programs, in the name of Jesus, amen".

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:50 am

ASUTodd wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:02 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:58 am

Charlotte - ODU vs WKU
Orlando - App vs Liberty
Tampa - Troy vs UCF

Sure would be nice to hand another undefeated team their first loss.
You want to play Liberty? I don't care if they are undefeated or not. Sham school, sham program. Don't give them a platform.

Has nothing to do with their religion. Wake Forest is a religious institution on many levels as is Duke. BYU is the same.

Yet Liberty is the only one with a sham online diploma mill that they use to funnel cash to athletics, in the name of Jesus.

Let JMU have them.

Boise State in Orlando would be good, Toledo even. I just don't understand why the MAC has two P5 games projected while the Sun Belt will be lucky to get one.

Move Troy to Birmingham in the Neal Brown Bowl against WVU, App to Tampa in the Gasparilla Bowl against UCF.

If they want attendance for sponsors, and eyeballs, that would be the way.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:57 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:46 am
AppSt94 wrote:
appstcyclist wrote:
Considering the bowl choice slots, I feel like App's destination is already set as Cure. I'd rather it be the Gasparilla against UCF while Troy gets Birmingham against WVU.

I just really hope the game isn't against Liberty. I know some people would like that since Liberty will likely be ranked but I don't like them, don't like their school, and don't like the megachurch evangelist vibes they give off. "Give me your money and I will build the countries best athletics programs, in the name of Jesus, amen".
Why would you not want to play a Liberty or a Toledo? Here is the flaw in your logic. These two may be your competition to get into the expanded playoff format next year. Does playing them in a bowl game in 2023 factor into 2024? Realistically no, but perception wise it absolutely could. A SBC team on the rise knocking off another G5 conference champ in a bowl game Helps with both the perception of the Sun Belt which only helps the 2024 Champ. Which is hopefully App.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:57 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:46 am
AppSt94 wrote:
appstcyclist wrote:

Why would you not want to play a Liberty or a Toledo? Here is the flaw in your logic. These two may be your competition to get into the expanded playoff format next year. Does playing them in a bowl game in 2023 factor into 2024? Realistically no, but perception wise it absolutely could. A SBC team on the rise knocking off another G5 conference champ in a bowl game Helps with both the perception of the Sun Belt which only helps the 2024 Champ. Which is hopefully App.
Yes, we should be willing to play teams regardless of how we feel about the institution. I don't disagree with the attitude toward Liberty as an institution, but there are also a lot of things I don't like UNC and how they get everything handed to them. There are many institutions who have an edge that could be deemed as unfair. Those are not reasons to poo-poo playing them in an athletic event. I want to play UNC, and sure Liberty too, and beat them over and over and over. That's how you stand up against unfairness, you beat it, you don't boycott it.
WE ARE YOSEF!

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:24 pm

DG said in this interview that the Cure Bowl is something "we" have been interested for a long time. Take that for what its worth

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:33 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:21 am
Parks&RecAPP wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:58 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:34 am
If a player enters the TP before the bowl I’m not sure I’d take them to the bowl game. Maybe a grad transfer.
I'm clearly not a college football coach, but if I were, once that player hits the portal, clean out your locker and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Easy to say, but remember that not only do coaches (and fans) want to win the game, but many coaches have financial incentives tied to winning a bowl game.
I'd also add that I see entering the transfer portal as putting in a two week notice. Sure it's the coach's right to say "get out now" and in some jobs after submitting notice, I have been told I don't need to continue longer after a few days. But other places knew I had value and I was willing to help the transition to help the company succeed after I left. In one case, I stayed a week longer than the notice just to make sure everything was in a good spot before moving on to my new role.

There's no right or wrong answer but taking the "Get Out" approach can be short-sighted and ignores that while someone wants to move on, they can still provide value for the program while they are a member.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:50 pm

Only exception I can see for the Coastal players to play is if, like McCall, they’re in the TP as graduate transfers.

IMHO, McCall has done an immeasurable amount for CCU Football and totally deserves to play in Hawaii.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:06 pm

Florida State was robbed.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:10 pm

Boonegoon wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:06 pm
You’ve got $1k to bet Florida State vs Alabama head to head on a neutral field. Who are you taking?
YNWA

RaleighApp27609

Unread post by RaleighApp27609 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:11 pm

Boonegoon wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:06 pm
Losing their starting QB and their SoS relative to Alabama's probably did them in.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”