Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Recruiting, 2015

JTApps1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Recruiting, 2015

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:12 pm

firemoose wrote:Another interesting turn. This twitter post was just made.

Jake Wilson ‏@Jake_Wilson14
Happy to say that I just committed to play basketball at app state for the next 4 years #appstate

Through a little digging this is:

C Jake Wilson (7' 1" 205) of Millbrook High School (Class of 14')/Lenoir-Rhyne University.

I'll get this on the Main Page ASAP and will find a few video clips to add.
I guess he's paying his own way while he sits with the chance to earn a scholarship next year?
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri May 22, 2015 7:29 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
firemoose wrote:Another interesting turn. This twitter post was just made.

Jake Wilson ‏@Jake_Wilson14
Happy to say that I just committed to play basketball at app state for the next 4 years #appstate

Through a little digging this is:

C Jake Wilson (7' 1" 205) of Millbrook High School (Class of 14')/Lenoir-Rhyne University.

I'll get this on the Main Page ASAP and will find a few video clips to add.
I guess he's paying his own way while he sits with the chance to earn a scholarship next year?
Still checking but being an in state student would make it easier. Looks like he played one season at LR. Coach Lentz leaving may be the reason for the move. I'll update as soon as I see more.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:45 pm

Anyone remember Brian Boxler?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri May 22, 2015 8:25 pm

1. Eaves
2. Burgess
3. Obacha
4. Babic
5. Clarke
6. Goesling
7. Hodson
8. Kinney
9. Kobani
10. Lawson
11. Mosser
12. Sanders
13. Shabazz
14. Logan
15. O'Boyle
16. Mills
17. Terrell
18. Kerley
19. Holley
20. Johnson
21. Hatfield
22. Wilson
23. Ford

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 pm

We might not be that great one through five, but I'll put our 19th through 23rd men up against anyone's.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri May 22, 2015 9:40 pm

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:58 am

firemoose wrote:
http://www.lrbears.com/stats/mbb1415/teamcume.htm

Here's Fox's thought process as this old head sees it. Nothing tried; nothing gained! Sooooo, why not! Wilson played one season at L-R; starting 23 of his team's 26 games while averaging just over 22 minutes, 6.9 points and 5.4 boards per game. He shot just over 44% from the floor and just over 58% from the line. He also recorded 52 blocks and 6 steals on the season. His only really negative stat was his assist to turnover ratio (1:2.6). He led his team in turnovers with 67. Ouch. He needs to build his upper body strength.

HIs tweet that he's going to play four years at App means just this. He gets five years to play four. YEAR ONE: L-R. YEAR TWO: Although not required to do so, he'll sit out a redshirt year to adapt to Division I in practice and work with Sirignano in the weight room. YEARS THREE THROUGH FIVE: In the fall of '16, he'll still have three years of eligibility. By then, he'll be older, stronger, smarter and better able to make an impact on the floor.

Why not give the kid a chance to live his dream of playing D-I ball? We certainly can't coach any of our other guys up to 7-1 and still growing.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Sat May 23, 2015 12:27 pm

7''1 player showing up our doorstep doesn't happen often, let "iron Mike" get him in the weight room for a year, he will put some muscle on him.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat May 23, 2015 9:14 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Anyone remember Brian Boxler?
yep, and Josh Grover

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun May 24, 2015 8:50 pm

I got bored.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 25, 2015 8:11 am

Has this every happened in the modern game of NCAA basketball? I would define modern as being since the NCAA tournament started taking at-large teams.

Purpose(s)?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:47 am

From WSJ reports App has added VMI transfer PF Craig Hinton Jr (6' 7" 195) of East Forsyth High School in Kernesville, NC (Class of 2013). As with Jake Wilson he will sit this season as per transfer rules. Still gathering information about how many seasons he'll have left then (should be two but want to confirm) and will post an update soon. Also will add him to the Main page as soon as I get some video.

EDIT: Here's a video of his Soph year in high school and him winning a dunk contest in 2013. I'll keep looking for some more recent footage.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:44 pm

firemoose wrote:From WSJ reports App has added VMI transfer PF Craig Hinton Jr (6' 7" 195) of East Forsyth High School in Kernesville, NC (Class of 2013). As with Jake Wilson he will sit this season as per transfer rules. Still gathering information about how many seasons he'll have left then (should be two but want to confirm) and will post an update soon. Also will add him to the Main page as soon as I get some video.

EDIT: Here's a video of his Soph year in high school and him winning a dunk contest in 2013. I'll keep looking for some more recent footage.

I just don't quite know what to make of the unending (so far) pitter-patter of Nike Airs into the men's basketball office--coming from "afar." In the latest case, Hinton arrived at VMI with a lot of fanfare and started a number of games as a freshman until he suffered a foot injury. After returning to the court, his only minutes were off the bench. As a sophomore, he was the eighth man in the rotation--logging only 364 minutes of play and two starts. His stats were so-so at best. What Fox is thinking, I dunno, but I trust his judgment...I think. :?

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/9800/st ... amcume.htm

One might conclude that VMI's new head coach "encouraged" Hinton to look for a new home. One might also conclude that Hinton was recruited to VMI by Coach Allison. Allison may have convinced Fox that Hinton will fit well into ASU's style of play.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:38 pm

asu66 wrote:One might also conclude that Hinton was recruited to VMI by Coach Allison. Allison may have convinced Fox that Hinton will fit well into ASU's style of play.
From what I've been told he was recruited to VMI by Coach Allison and he was looking, and had visited, both UNCC and App before making the decision. He's an in state guy and isn't going to cost us a ship this year, just like Wilson. He can practice with the team so we'll be able to see how he does in our system and we'll have a full year to decide if he is going to take a ship for next year. Personally I don't see much of a downside.

And as a note, word coming out of our first practices is that things are looking much better than this time last year. The words "night and day" have been often used. Our upperclassmen are pushing harder and have a better understanding of the system. Several of our bigger guys are showing more physicality in the paint, including a couple that we've been waiting to see show this. Appears that a year under the new S & C is paying off as several of the slighter frame guys look to have bulked up. Sounds as if most of our incoming class are getting their bearings and are working hard to learn our system. And the word "wow" is being used to describe at least one of the late pickups. All in all it sounds like we are well ahead of last year at this time.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:03 pm

firemoose wrote:
asu66 wrote:One might also conclude that Hinton was recruited to VMI by Coach Allison. Allison may have convinced Fox that Hinton will fit well into ASU's style of play.
From what I've been told he was recruited to VMI by Coach Allison and he was looking, and had visited, both UNCC and App before making the decision. He's an in state guy and isn't going to cost us a ship this year, just like Wilson. He can practice with the team so we'll be able to see how he does in our system and we'll have a full year to decide if he is going to take a ship for next year. Personally I don't see much of a downside.

And as a note, word coming out of our first practices is that things are looking much better than this time last year. The words "night and day" have been often used. Our upperclassmen are pushing harder and have a better understanding of the system. Several of our bigger guys are showing more physicality in the paint, including a couple that we've been waiting to see show this. Appears that a year under the new S & C is paying off as several of the slighter frame guys look to have bulked up. Sounds as if most of our incoming class are getting their bearings and are working hard to learn our system. And the word "wow" is being used to describe at least one of the late pickups. All in all it sounds like we are well ahead of last year at this time.
Keep singing that fine tune; we like it out here in the hinterland!Image

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:54 pm

We're up to 24 practice players this year. When do 11 on 11 drills start?

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:14 pm

firemoose wrote:

Is the "wow" player the Juco from AZ?

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:22 am

app97 wrote:Is the "wow" player the Juco from AZ?
No. Word is even though he's got JUCO experience that our practice intensity has been more than he's used to but he's picking things up well. In fact it's being said that all five of our signees could contribute this coming season. As I said reports are we've stepped it up a lot over last year. The "wow" player is Tyrell Johnson. Many words are being thrown around about him along with plenty of head shakes and stares. The raw talent is off the charts. Butts in seats kind of talent. Some good teaching and refining from the staff could produce something special.

Just from the first few practices it appears we've got a good group of players joining our team. Even with Logan and Shabazz in probably the hardest positions to learn in Coach Fox's system they are starting to pick it up and once they do watch out. The upperclassmen are vocal and are engaged in practice. Sharpness and intensity are way ahead of this time last year. No doubt we have a long way to go to dig out of this hole but it sounds like we're working hard at it.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:58 am

I sort of gathered that about Johnson from watching his highlights. I see tons of potential and a high ceiling for him. Reminds me of a poor man's Brandon Ingram (Duke recruit) with his size/frame and versatility. I feel like we might have a steal. He seems under-recruited with only Tenn Tech, Tenn St, Kennesaw St, and Richmond offering him.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Roster has been updated with 18 players. The six missing are the five walk-ons (Ford, Kerley, Hatfield, Mills and Terrell) and Hinton. With classes starting today for the fall, I bet they're just arriving and will be added soon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”