• Birthdays

App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

BUTCH1991
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Point
Has thanked: 538 times
Been thanked: 280 times

App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:54 am

I had a feeling this would be an uninspiring opponent considering our road schedule that year. Morgan State and U Mass are now out 2 home non conference opponents.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/08/appa ... tate-2020/



appfanz
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by appfanz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:21 am

Didn’t realize the Wake game was going to be on Friday night. That should be fun.



User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 1783
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Stephens City, VA
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 666 times
Contact:

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:43 am

With all of the upcoming upgrades and construction it only makes sense to not have games that would bring 35k people. Not sure if that's the reasoning but makes sense to me.


Twitter: @AST_ThomasLong

AppinVA
Posts: 11455
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 9:41 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1186 times
Been thanked: 1006 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 am

A FCS, and especially one against a MEAC team, is an easy buyout. I have no problem with it.


"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 4349
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 1297 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:43 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 am
A FCS, and especially one against a MEAC team, is an easy buyout. I have no problem with it.
Nailed it. Placeholder.



AppDawg
Posts: 1331
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1114 times
Been thanked: 453 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:42 pm

appfanz wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:21 am
Didn’t realize the Wake game was going to be on Friday night. That should be fun.
This must be a recent development or a typo. Everything on AppState Sports and Wake site lists as Sat, the 12th.



User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 5070
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 1048 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm

The Morgan State game was quietly put on the schedule a few months ago.

FYI, App is paying Gardner-Webb 280k this year, 250k to ETSU in 2019, 300k to ETSU in 2024 and 300k to Elon in 2021.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4866
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1904 times
Been thanked: 1544 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 am
A FCS, and especially one against a MEAC team, is an easy buyout. I have no problem with it.
Gotta have somebody to offset the game at Wisconsin. Personally I'd rather buy out UMass.



AppSt94
Posts: 3094
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 824 times
Been thanked: 661 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:11 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 am
A FCS, and especially one against a MEAC team, is an easy buyout. I have no problem with it.
Gotta have somebody to offset the game at Wisconsin. Personally I'd rather buy out UMass.
Why would you rather buy out UMass?



Yosef84
Posts: 1636
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 630 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:02 am

UMass is a good/winnable home game against a peer G5 team. They aren't the pushovers that they were a couple of years ago (obviously). Besides, we owe them one from last season.

Can't get too excited about Morgan State but I understand the logic behind having an FCS game.



AppSt94
Posts: 3094
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 824 times
Been thanked: 661 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:04 am

I like the idea of an FCS game. Given the new Redshirt rules, it give the young guys to get in and get some game reps early on in the season without the risk of losing a redshirt.



User avatar
NO.2
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by NO.2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:21 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:02 am
UMass is a good/winnable home game against a peer G5 team. They aren't the pushovers that they were a couple of years ago (obviously). Besides, we owe them one from last season.

Can't get too excited about Morgan State but I understand the logic behind having an FCS game.
Peer is a big stretch, even with the loss last year. I just spent the entire weekend explaining to my GF's step mom that we have always been D1 despite her assumption that we were a "little D3 school" and her asking about changes around campus "now that you're D1."

We do not need to be lumped in with a struggling independent.

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm
The Morgan State game was quietly put on the schedule a few months ago.

FYI, App is paying Gardner-Webb 280k this year, 250k to ETSU in 2019, 300k to ETSU in 2024 and 300k to Elon in 2021.
Have any idea how much ECU paid us in 2009 and 2012?



TractorApp
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:15 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by TractorApp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 am

I also understand the reasoning behind FCS games, but I wonder what it would cost to bring WCU, Furman, Citadel to KBS. I would love to see those three in the future. Especially The Citadel. I still have a bad taste in my mouth just thinking of those guys.



bigCasu
Posts: 5455
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 567 times
Contact:

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:37 am

NO.2 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:21 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:02 am
UMass is a good/winnable home game against a peer G5 team. They aren't the pushovers that they were a couple of years ago (obviously). Besides, we owe them one from last season.

Can't get too excited about Morgan State but I understand the logic behind having an FCS game.
Peer is a big stretch, even with the loss last year. I just spent the entire weekend explaining to my GF's step mom that we have always been D1 despite her assumption that we were a "little D3 school" and her asking about changes around campus "now that you're D1."

We do not need to be lumped in with a struggling independent.

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm
The Morgan State game was quietly put on the schedule a few months ago.

FYI, App is paying Gardner-Webb 280k this year, 250k to ETSU in 2019, 300k to ETSU in 2024 and 300k to Elon in 2021.
Have any idea how much ECU paid us in 2009 and 2012?
"NOW THAT YOU ARE D1"
Thoughts and prayers my man



bigCasu
Posts: 5455
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 567 times
Contact:

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:40 am

TractorApp wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 am
I also understand the reasoning behind FCS games, but I wonder what it would cost to bring WCU, Furman, Citadel to KBS. I would love to see those three in the future. Especially The Citadel. I still have a bad taste in my mouth just thinking of those guys.
If our former SoCon rivals want to make the playoffs, they can't afford to play us, and we cannot be their $$$ game either.



User avatar
GregPercussion
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:01 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by GregPercussion » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:01 am

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm
The Morgan State game was quietly put on the schedule a few months ago.

FYI, App is paying Gardner-Webb 280k this year, 250k to ETSU in 2019, 300k to ETSU in 2024 and 300k to Elon in 2021.
Yeah, it was announced back in May... not sure why it made news again on the FBschedule website. But hey. Looking forward to an easy win is always helpful.



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 6276
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 1169 times
Been thanked: 716 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 am

bigCasu wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:40 am
TractorApp wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 am
I also understand the reasoning behind FCS games, but I wonder what it would cost to bring WCU, Furman, Citadel to KBS. I would love to see those three in the future. Especially The Citadel. I still have a bad taste in my mouth just thinking of those guys.
If our former SoCon rivals want to make the playoffs, they can't afford to play us, and we cannot be their $$$ game either.
I would like another go at A&T personally if we are going to the MEAC. For the SoCon I would prefer Furman at this point if only due to the fact they have the series advantage on us though it is so far in their advantage it would take decades to make it up given how often we would be playing them if we were to start playing them. I assume our FCS games tend to be one-offs having playing the same school more than 3 times in a decade would be rare.

I also understand why the top SoCons and CAA teams really can't be scheduled all that often unless there is some strange situation that forces us together. (Does Elon qualify as a top CAA team?)


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Goapps15
Posts: 1235
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 599 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:26 am

The goal isn't for it to be a competitive opponent most years.

This year is a prime example, we need a mini bye before a tough conference opening stretch. We play 3 D1 teams to open then GW. Then we play 2 very tough conference games.

Imagine if that was a game we could lose more than 10 times out of 100. It is not worth the risk.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4866
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1904 times
Been thanked: 1544 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:11 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 am
A FCS, and especially one against a MEAC team, is an easy buyout. I have no problem with it.
Gotta have somebody to offset the game at Wisconsin. Personally I'd rather buy out UMass.
Why would you rather buy out UMass?
Like an FCS game, they're bad enough that beating them does nothing for us. Unlike most FCS teams, they have FBS recruits, which means they have a puncher's chance of beating us if we don't show up (as we already saw once).

UMass also brings nothing to the table in terms of regional interest, recruiting footprint... basically anything. In short, it's the worst series we've signed since moving up.



NewApp
Posts: 3875
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 324 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: App Finishes Out 2020 Schedule

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:11 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 am
A FCS, and especially one against a MEAC team, is an easy buyout. I have no problem with it.
Gotta have somebody to offset the game at Wisconsin. Personally I'd rather buy out UMass.
Why would you rather buy out UMass?
Like an FCS game, they're bad enough that beating them does nothing for us. Unlike most FCS teams, they have FBS recruits, which means they have a puncher's chance of beating us if we don't show up (as we already saw once).

UMass also brings nothing to the table in terms of regional interest, recruiting footprint... basically anything. In short, it's the worst series we've signed since moving up.
Beats the heck out of playing Gardner Webb.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 31 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: ApexASU, app87, Gonzo, Parks&RecAPP, stafford and 26 guests