• Birthdays

Derrick Transfer

AppStFan1
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:47 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:46 am
Mechanically Lamb wasn’t the greatest QB in the land but all he did was win. Someone with a better memory than me please point out the game/games we lost in which he “blew it” for us. If memory does serve there were a few losses during his tenure that missed kicks were the difference and I do recall post after post calling for his replacement even though the dude was a winner. Now we have QB experts calling for an open between arguably the best (considering the overall level of competition we face) QB in school history- no offense to AE. It’s getting closer to apples and oranges. ZT is potentially a top 20 QB- nationally. We should breathe a sigh of relief that, maybe, we have a potential replacement in two years.
I would not say he blew Clemson completely but he threw 3 picks in 5 pass attempts. His INT against Tennessee was not a bad decision as much as him not having the arm strength to make that throw so Sutton picked him off. I 100% agree he did not blow games because of bad decisions but was just limited physically. ZT clearly brought the QB position up to speed with the rest of the talent on offense though.

If you want proof of what I am saying just look at his stats and what he did but yet he did not even try the NFL. How many awful QBs (Dobbs of Tennessee) get drafted late or get a tryout or contract and Taylor did not even go to pro day. He and his dad knew he did not have physical tools.



AppStFan1
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:49 am

HighPointApp wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:27 am
Write it down: ericsaid has already criticized a decision Coach D had made. Probably the first of many for the QB guru of the YC
I'm hoping that he is just posting crazy stuff to get a rise out of people and he is not this stupid. I mean there is no way that someone is so dumb they think a high school recruit who was not even the main starter at IMG and has yet to play a college down is going to come in and beat out the SBC OFF POY. Is there? lol



bigdaddyg
Posts: 2521
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 565 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:05 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:47 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:46 am
Mechanically Lamb wasn’t the greatest QB in the land but all he did was win. Someone with a better memory than me please point out the game/games we lost in which he “blew it” for us. If memory does serve there were a few losses during his tenure that missed kicks were the difference and I do recall post after post calling for his replacement even though the dude was a winner. Now we have QB experts calling for an open between arguably the best (considering the overall level of competition we face) QB in school history- no offense to AE. It’s getting closer to apples and oranges. ZT is potentially a top 20 QB- nationally. We should breathe a sigh of relief that, maybe, we have a potential replacement in two years.
I would not say he blew Clemson completely but he threw 3 picks in 5 pass attempts. His INT against Tennessee was not a bad decision as much as him not having the arm strength to make that throw so Sutton picked him off. I 100% agree he did not blow games because of bad decisions but was just limited physically. ZT clearly brought the QB position up to speed with the rest of the talent on offense though.

If you want proof of what I am saying just look at his stats and what he did but yet he did not even try the NFL. How many awful QBs (Dobbs of Tennessee) get drafted late or get a tryout or contract and Taylor did not even go to pro day. He and his dad knew he did not have physical tools.
You make valid points but you selected the Clemson game as an example? Granted TL made some bad throws but it was against a team that ultimately won the ACC and played in the National Championship. If we execute a couple of kicks we beat UT. Does the measure of a college QB come down to what happens at the next level? Tebow was a great college QB but we all know the rest of that story. No TL didn’t have the arm strength but he won games. It looks like ZT has better mechanics and overall athletic ability but to disparage TL based on a couple of P5 losses is crazy.



Yosef84
Posts: 1857
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 771 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:11 am

I guess it's normal for people to do those direct comparisons but I don't think they serve any purpose. I do think ZT is more physically gifted, but TL was a winner. Period. He was a winner for 4 years even after people had tape on him. I believe Zac will be also. That's all I care about. I think Zac still has his best games ahead of him and that will be fun to watch!



Black Saturday
Posts: 8604
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:32 am

Signing a recruit from IMG is deeper water than the talent pool are accustomed to swimming. Hopefully it’ll open a door there. Just playing the IMG schedule says a lot, however it’ll take any QB time to learn a new system and catch up to the speed of D-1 football. Even Trevor Lawrence, a generational QB, took five games to take over. Haven’t heard of Godwin being that talented, but I feel better about him being able to be effective if ZT has to be out. A lot hinges on ZT being on the field a full season in 19.


BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:45 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:05 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:47 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:46 am
Mechanically Lamb wasn’t the greatest QB in the land but all he did was win. Someone with a better memory than me please point out the game/games we lost in which he “blew it” for us. If memory does serve there were a few losses during his tenure that missed kicks were the difference and I do recall post after post calling for his replacement even though the dude was a winner. Now we have QB experts calling for an open between arguably the best (considering the overall level of competition we face) QB in school history- no offense to AE. It’s getting closer to apples and oranges. ZT is potentially a top 20 QB- nationally. We should breathe a sigh of relief that, maybe, we have a potential replacement in two years.
I would not say he blew Clemson completely but he threw 3 picks in 5 pass attempts. His INT against Tennessee was not a bad decision as much as him not having the arm strength to make that throw so Sutton picked him off. I 100% agree he did not blow games because of bad decisions but was just limited physically. ZT clearly brought the QB position up to speed with the rest of the talent on offense though.

If you want proof of what I am saying just look at his stats and what he did but yet he did not even try the NFL. How many awful QBs (Dobbs of Tennessee) get drafted late or get a tryout or contract and Taylor did not even go to pro day. He and his dad knew he did not have physical tools.
You make valid points but you selected the Clemson game as an example? Granted TL made some bad throws but it was against a team that ultimately won the ACC and played in the National Championship. If we execute a couple of kicks we beat UT. Does the measure of a college QB come down to what happens at the next level? Tebow was a great college QB but we all know the rest of that story. No TL didn’t have the arm strength but he won games. It looks like ZT has better mechanics and overall athletic ability but to disparage TL based on a couple of P5 losses is crazy.
I mentioned that Lamb did not cost us Clemson because yes they were going to win anyway but when you play a better team you can't make bad mistakes like that. Overall I don't feel he costed us games in terms of decisions. I'm not disparaging Lamb. I'm just saying what he was.

He was a solid college QB who lacked physical tools but he did have the brain and football intelligence you want. He won a lot of games at the G5 level but he was limited enough athletically and physically that he was playing at the highest level he could have. If Lamb had a strong enough arm he would have gone to a P5 school because he had good high school film. Anyone who thinks Lamb is a better player than Thomas is just boxscore scouting and not comparing the two players. Stats do not always tell the whole story. There were folks on here who claimed Lamb was better than AE and that was not even close. Put Lamb in that Michigan game and we get destroyed. AE was special and Thomas has a chance to be special as well. In fact, if Thomas has a bad year I would blame it on the coaches messing him up because he clearly is a dual threat who can make big throws, even against top 20 P5 talent.



AppStFan1
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:51 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:32 am
Signing a recruit from IMG is deeper water than the talent pool are accustomed to swimming. Hopefully it’ll open a door there. Just playing the IMG schedule says a lot, however it’ll take any QB time to learn a new system and catch up to the speed of D-1 football. Even Trevor Lawrence, a generational QB, took five games to take over. Haven’t heard of Godwin being that talented, but I feel better about him being able to be effective if ZT has to be out. A lot hinges on ZT being on the field a full season in 19.
Agree because IMG is a tough place to play. There is a ton of talent there. My point is that we have someone pushing a player to take over for ZT and this guy has yet to play a snap in college.

Dabo is great but he is very loyal and took a little longer to make the move than he should have. Trevor Lawrence was the better guy back in the spring. It did not take him 5 games to beat out Bryant. It took the coaches 5 games to realize they better go with Lawrence or else Bryant is going to cost them a national title.

Do you remember when we had Cam Speer as a senior starter and DJ Smith came in as a freshman? DJ would come in and was clearly the better player. It was not even close. You could see DJ has a shot to be special for us but our coaches took several games to finally name him the starter. Did it really take DJ Smith 3-4 games to play better than Speer? No. He was much faster all along and was more impressive that first game but our coaches did not want to bench a senior so quick and let the evidence pile up so it was overwhelming that DJ has to start.

Coaches will refrain from making a move so quick just to make sure that first impressions are real and make sure nobody can accuse them of making a move due to politics.



Black Saturday
Posts: 8604
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:16 pm

Politically engrained players, we’ve had some too.


BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94
Posts: 3319
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 961 times
Been thanked: 755 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Don’t sleep on Huesman. He may flourish under the new system.



Yosef84
Posts: 1857
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 771 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:06 pm

I think Peyton and Huesman are both excellent QBs and I haven't agreed with the fans who wrote them off after deciding they should have done better against GS and CCU. The GS situation was an all around bust and it wasn't all on Derrick. The OL got some early penalties, probably trying to compensate for ZT being out, but it back fired and repeatedly put Peyton in a hole. Once he started hearing the footsteps he was done. Huesman played pretty well against both GS and CCU. He wasn't ZT but he executed pretty well.

Whoever gets Peyton will get a solid QB and Huesman remains a solid backup for App.



Appstate88
Posts: 1003
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 450 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:56 am

PD going to Wofford. Good luck young man.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... 2d410.html



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 4181
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 1491 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:21 am

Wish him the best



Yosef84
Posts: 1857
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 771 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:35 am

I hope he has a great career at Wofford. I think they are going to like him!



Stonewall
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 906 times
Been thanked: 586 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Interesting.They don't pass much.



Black Saturday
Posts: 8604
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:19 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:02 pm
Interesting.They don't pass much.
A truer statement has never been said.


BLACK SATURDAY

User avatar
AtlAppMan
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ATL
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 340 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Good school, he will get a great degree with excellent professional contacts and probably run the team this upcoming year as QB. Good move for him.



Woodstovegang
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: HICKORY
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:37 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:45 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:05 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:47 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:46 am
Mechanically Lamb wasn’t the greatest QB in the land but all he did was win. Someone with a better memory than me please point out the game/games we lost in which he “blew it” for us. If memory does serve there were a few losses during his tenure that missed kicks were the difference and I do recall post after post calling for his replacement even though the dude was a winner. Now we have QB experts calling for an open between arguably the best (considering the overall level of competition we face) QB in school history- no offense to AE. It’s getting closer to apples and oranges. ZT is potentially a top 20 QB- nationally. We should breathe a sigh of relief that, maybe, we have a potential replacement in two years.
I would not say he blew Clemson completely but he threw 3 picks in 5 pass attempts. His INT against Tennessee was not a bad decision as much as him not having the arm strength to make that throw so Sutton picked him off. I 100% agree he did not blow games because of bad decisions but was just limited physically. ZT clearly brought the QB position up to speed with the rest of the talent on offense though.

If you want proof of what I am saying just look at his stats and what he did but yet he did not even try the NFL. How many awful QBs (Dobbs of Tennessee) get drafted late or get a tryout or contract and Taylor did not even go to pro day. He and his dad knew he did not have physical tools.
You make valid points but you selected the Clemson game as an example? Granted TL made some bad throws but it was against a team that ultimately won the ACC and played in the National Championship. If we execute a couple of kicks we beat UT. Does the measure of a college QB come down to what happens at the next level? Tebow was a great college QB but we all know the rest of that story. No TL didn’t have the arm strength but he won games. It looks like ZT has better mechanics and overall athletic ability but to disparage TL based on a couple of P5 losses is crazy.
I mentioned that Lamb did not cost us Clemson because yes they were going to win anyway but when you play a better team you can't make bad mistakes like that. Overall I don't feel he costed us games in terms of decisions. I'm not disparaging Lamb. I'm just saying what he was.

He was a solid college QB who lacked physical tools but he did have the brain and football intelligence you want. He won a lot of games at the G5 level but he was limited enough athletically and physically that he was playing at the highest level he could have. If Lamb had a strong enough arm he would have gone to a P5 school because he had good high school film. Anyone who thinks Lamb is a better player than Thomas is just boxscore scouting and not comparing the two players. Stats do not always tell the whole story. There were folks on here who claimed Lamb was better than AE and that was not even close. Put Lamb in that Michigan game and we get destroyed. AE was special and Thomas has a chance to be special as well. In fact, if Thomas has a bad year I would blame it on the coaches messing him up because he clearly is a dual threat who can make big throws, even against top 20 P5 talent.
Does anyone else think the amount of QB's on roster should be reduced for more O line scholarships, No one mentions Wilson or Gibbs. Both are good relief for third right now plus the IMG recruit. We nee more size and speed at O line depth.


Image

Stonewall
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 906 times
Been thanked: 586 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 pm

They aren’t on scholarship.



Woodstovegang
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: HICKORY
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:32 pm

Then free up space for preferred walk ons. We need size/depth and speed on o line


Image

AppSt94
Posts: 3319
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 961 times
Been thanked: 755 times

Re: Derrick Transfer

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:53 am

Woodstovegang wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:32 pm
Then free up space for preferred walk ons. We need size/depth and speed on o line
Most, if not all coaches are going to take a QB per class. Not all of them are going to pan out due to talent and attrition. At this point, we have lost three scholarship QBs in recent years that would still be here. Case in point, using that logic, our last four classes of QBs were David, ZT/Huesman, Derrick, and Stephens. The only reason we have both ZT and Huseman is because of the David transfer. Of the five, we only have two of them left and until our future Heisman finalist arrives on campus, we are woefully thin at the QB spot. Even though he is the next big thing since sliced bread, he is still a True Freshmen. More so than OL. Conversely, we have 15 OL on the team which is enough for a 5 deep lineup and we have some PWOs coming in this year I believe.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online