'19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 6355
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 1260 times
Been thanked: 747 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:23 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:55 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:19 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:41 pm


I let me our players and want them to win.....
I do appreciate them for what they do and they seem to be stand-up people. I certainly don't have anything against any of them that would push me to root against them, and if they win I am not going to be upset, but I do like to share the wealth on things such as this.
By this logic, you should be pulling hard for GA State to beat us this fall! What the heck is wrong with you?!? :)
If you re-read my post you will note I said unless it is App State.
I thought about a reply for a while...so you think the Olympic Men’s basketball team should lose.....Babe it’s USA all the way...
Even more so that I am not going to get behind the Olympic Men's BB team. I don't know if I am rooting against them so much as I not rooting for them, and instead rooting for others. It is a bit nuanced, as just about everything I feel about nationalism. I was going to use them as an example actually but decided not too. On the one hand, this country has the best basketball but it is hard to get emotionally connected to it either.

I am glad Rapinoe got the first goal! I am not upset the USWNT won but I like a good underdog victory at any level.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 6355
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 1260 times
Been thanked: 747 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:23 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:55 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:19 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:41 pm


I let me our players and want them to win.....
I do appreciate them for what they do and they seem to be stand-up people. I certainly don't have anything against any of them that would push me to root against them, and if they win I am not going to be upset, but I do like to share the wealth on things such as this.
By this logic, you should be pulling hard for GA State to beat us this fall! What the heck is wrong with you?!? :)
I'll pull for the guys at 9 pm for the Concacaf since we are the underdogs there based on FIFA rankings with Mexico at 18 and USA at 30.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
Apptiger
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:16 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lakeland, FL
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by Apptiger » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 am

Glad they won, great team and a good game. Think big orange just ran out of gas in the second half and the USA first goal took some of their heart.
My dislike for Rapinoe grows, It's all about her and not the team. Think others were more deserving of the accolades she got. Most of her goals (I think four out of the six) were on penalty kicks. Granted, she nailed them. Going opposite of her normal direction in the championship game was brilliant. BUT.. she was out of position too often, a little slow to move on the ball, got moved off the ball too easy and made a few too many sloppy passes. Think Press played better at the position.



User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 9062
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Almost Heaven Resides: Lollipop Guild Land
Has thanked: 1886 times
Been thanked: 825 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 am

WOMEN DESERVE (AT LEAST) THE SAME PAY AS THE MEN !!!

THEY ARE PROVEN CHAMPIONS :star :star :star :star


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 9062
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Almost Heaven Resides: Lollipop Guild Land
Has thanked: 1886 times
Been thanked: 825 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Apptiger wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 am
Glad they won, great team and a good game. Think big orange just ran out of gas in the second half and the USA first goal took some of their heart.
My dislike for Rapinoe grows, It's all about her and not the team. Think others were more deserving of the accolades she got. Most of her goals (I think four out of the six) were on penalty kicks. Granted, she nailed them. Going opposite of her normal direction in the championship game was brilliant. BUT.. she was out of position too often, a little slow to move on the ball, got moved off the ball too easy and made a few too many sloppy passes. Think Press played better at the position.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this one about Rapinoe is hard to justify ??? You must not watch a lot of professional sports if you think she is unique with "it's all about me". If she didn't deserve all the accolades, who did? - You might remember she was playing with a hurt hamstring (missing the semi-final) so she most likely was not at or near 100%. Ask any long-time soccer experts (some are on the board) and I bet they can tell you the names of stars who missed PKs in important matches (men and women) - Megan was as cool as a cucumber and I greatly admire her as a player, a captain and a person.


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppfaninCAALand
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Richmond, VA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:22 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 am
WOMEN DESERVE (AT LEAST) THE SAME PAY AS THE MEN !!!

THEY ARE PROVEN CHAMPIONS :star :star :star :star
The players on the USWNT get paid less than then the USMNT for the same reason Rob Parnell (MVP and leading goal scorer in 2018 for Major League Lacrosse) got paid less in a year than the lowest paid guy in the NFL makes in a single game.

The last Mens World Cup generated 6 billion dollars, about 7% of that was paid out the players. This most recent Womens World Cup is expected to generate less than 200 million, with about 20% paid out to the players. Sounds to me the women are well paid for the service they are providing, compared to the men.

The more money a professional athlete makes for the people stroking the check, the more money the professional athlete will get paid.



AppinATL
Posts: 1014
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Duluth, GA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:41 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:55 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:19 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:41 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:38 pm
On the one hand the WNT should be paid equal to the men and having the WNT win the WWC would not hurt their argument. On the other hand I hate seeing one team be so dominate in a sport (unless it is App State). I would like to see another country take home the Cup so I am leaning Netherlands at this point. I was really hoping England would have not had the offsides call that would have tied up the game at 2 all. I guess I should have put this in the "Unpopular Opinion" thread from a few weeks ago as I am sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion.
I let me our players and want them to win.....
I do appreciate them for what they do and they seem to be stand-up people. I certainly don't have anything against any of them that would push me to root against them, and if they win I am not going to be upset, but I do like to share the wealth on things such as this.
By this logic, you should be pulling hard for GA State to beat us this fall! What the heck is wrong with you?!? :)
If you re-read my post you will note I said unless it is App State.
I read it right the first time. I just don’t get it.



User avatar
Apptiger
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:16 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lakeland, FL
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by Apptiger » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:06 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:01 pm
Apptiger wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 am
Glad they won, great team and a good game. Think big orange just ran out of gas in the second half and the USA first goal took some of their heart.
My dislike for Rapinoe grows, It's all about her and not the team. Think others were more deserving of the accolades she got. Most of her goals (I think four out of the six) were on penalty kicks. Granted, she nailed them. Going opposite of her normal direction in the championship game was brilliant. BUT.. she was out of position too often, a little slow to move on the ball, got moved off the ball too easy and made a few too many sloppy passes. Think Press played better at the position.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this one about Rapinoe is hard to justify ??? You must not watch a lot of professional sports if you think she is unique with "it's all about me". If she didn't deserve all the accolades, who did? - You might remember she was playing with a hurt hamstring (missing the semi-final) so she most likely was not at or near 100%. Ask any long-time soccer experts (some are on the board) and I bet they can tell you the names of stars who missed PKs in important matches (men and women) - Megan was as cool as a cucumber and I greatly admire her as a player, a captain and a person.
I watched the whole tournament every game and my criticism is based on that. I stand by it. Take away the PK goals and Press played better. If you read my post, I gave her props for the penalty kicks. It's not easy to do what she did. As far as others more deserving, Morgan, Lavelle, Horan, maybe Naeher the keeper. Morgan drew most of the penalties Rapinoe took. LAvelle was all over the place as was Horan. And yes, a lot of pro athletes are all about themselves but not in this setting. Ever watch the NBA guys play in the olympics?



User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 9062
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Almost Heaven Resides: Lollipop Guild Land
Has thanked: 1886 times
Been thanked: 825 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Look - I like all the players and am proud of all of them, but I am still having a hard time with your opinion - Press is good, she didn't play better than Rapinoe - Horan never got off the bench in the final - Lavelle was impressive and she did win the Bronze Ball - I was impressed with Naeher as the tourney progressed but she didn't face a lot of challenges (those that she did, she excelled) -


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 9062
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Almost Heaven Resides: Lollipop Guild Land
Has thanked: 1886 times
Been thanked: 825 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:01 pm



"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

User avatar
ASU2012
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by ASU2012 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Rapinoe was 100% not the best player on the USWNT this World Cup. Honestly, probably wasn't even top 5...

Being the set piece taker over 7 games (6 with her injury) covers up a lot when you bag 4 of them. Credit to her for converting those chances, but she struggled in open play.



User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 9062
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Almost Heaven Resides: Lollipop Guild Land
Has thanked: 1886 times
Been thanked: 825 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Then all the voters were wrong?


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appvette
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by appvette » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:10 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:22 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 am
WOMEN DESERVE (AT LEAST) THE SAME PAY AS THE MEN !!!

THEY ARE PROVEN CHAMPIONS :star :star :star :star
The players on the USWNT get paid less than then the USMNT for the same reason Rob Parnell (MVP and leading goal scorer in 2018 for Major League Lacrosse) got paid less in a year than the lowest paid guy in the NFL makes in a single game.

The last Mens World Cup generated 6 billion dollars, about 7% of that was paid out the players. This most recent Womens World Cup is expected to generate less than 200 million, with about 20% paid out to the players. Sounds to me the women are well paid for the service they are providing, compared to the men.

The more money a professional athlete makes for the people stroking the check, the more money the professional athlete will get paid.
It's sad that so few people understand basic economics these days and simply blame inequality.



User avatar
WVAPPeer
Posts: 9062
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Almost Heaven Resides: Lollipop Guild Land
Has thanked: 1886 times
Been thanked: 825 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am

What some seem to be missing is my initial point - little can be done about what FIFA does internationally - there is no argument that world wide men's soccer is much much important and will always have more money - My POINT is this - please give me an "excuse" why the US would pay the Women's National Team less the the Men's National Team?


"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333
Posts: 9838
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1003 times
Been thanked: 1284 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 am

The revenue argument seems applicable.

Take gender out of the equation for a moment. Do bottom level P5 programs make more than top level G5 programs? Eyeballs, ticket sales, and merchandise sales drive payments, not results on the field in the world of sports. Could App, Troy, Boise, etc. beat the bottom third of P5 program more often than not, probably, but they don't get paid like it.

Rapinoe is right in her latest interview. If you don't like the inequality in pay, watch women's sports, go to the games, buy jerseys, that is how you change the equation.



User avatar
Apptiger
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:16 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lakeland, FL
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by Apptiger » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:37 pm
Look - I like all the players and am proud of all of them, but I am still having a hard time with your opinion - Press is good, she didn't play better than Rapinoe - Horan never got off the bench in the final - Lavelle was impressive and she did win the Bronze Ball - I was impressed with Naeher as the tourney progressed but she didn't face a lot of challenges (those that she did, she excelled) -
We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
"The dude abides"



User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 14158
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 1180 times
Been thanked: 1160 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:55 am

The inequities that exist have less to do with pay differences based on WC revenue generated. The real gripe exists in travel accommodations and the like. In these areas the men and women should be on an equal footing. With the positive PR generated from their recent WC win, I would bet their next contract with US Soccer will address these deficiencies. The women will be negotiating from a stronger position. Pay and benefits are negotiated separately by each NT.



AppSt94
Posts: 3261
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 928 times
Been thanked: 738 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:47 am

hapapp wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:55 am
The inequities that exist have less to do with pay differences based on WC revenue generated. The real gripe exists in travel accommodations and the like. In these areas the men and women should be on an equal footing. With the positive PR generated from their recent WC win, I would bet their next contract with US Soccer will address these deficiencies. The women will be negotiating from a stronger position. Pay and benefits are negotiated separately by each NT.
And if they don't get their way, are they simply going to quit playing or will they sign the deal that is offered and keep vetching about it? I agree with you that the women and men should be treated equally in terms of staffing and accommodations. But the money has to be there to pay them. Don't the women get paid a salary of 100k just for being on the team? The men work off of commission so while the end result is not the same, they certainly have more financial security then the men.



User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 14158
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 1180 times
Been thanked: 1160 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:11 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:47 am
hapapp wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:55 am
The inequities that exist have less to do with pay differences based on WC revenue generated. The real gripe exists in travel accommodations and the like. In these areas the men and women should be on an equal footing. With the positive PR generated from their recent WC win, I would bet their next contract with US Soccer will address these deficiencies. The women will be negotiating from a stronger position. Pay and benefits are negotiated separately by each NT.
And if they don't get their way, are they simply going to quit playing or will they sign the deal that is offered and keep vetching about it? I agree with you that the women and men should be treated equally in terms of staffing and accommodations. But the money has to be there to pay them. Don't the women get paid a salary of 100k just for being on the team? The men work off of commission so while the end result is not the same, they certainly have more financial security then the men.
U.S Soccer also subsidizes the women's league in addition to paying a $110,000 annual salary. Again, things need to be done to equalize the playing field but the salary issue is more complicated than the men make more from WC appearances. As I said previously, the women should be bargaining from stronger vantage in the next contract negotiations.



yikas1
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: '19 Women's World Cup Final: USA v. The Netherlands 11 AM FOX

Unread post by yikas1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:37 pm

Congratulations on the US women for their Olympic victory! 🥺



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests