SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Apptrain
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 139 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by Apptrain » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:38 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:13 am
appfan22 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:55 am
Bruce Feldman of The Athletic has Wake Forest beating UNC 27-23 on Friday.
FRIDAY? Again? that’s 3 weeks in a row playing on Friday night? how odd.
I really do wish college ball would avoid Friday night. I’m afraid it’s a trend that has begun that will end up steamrolling over high school ball. With all the Carolina fans in this state it will put a hurting on high school game attendance Friday.



User avatar
biggie
Site Admin
Posts: 4330
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Clemmons
Has thanked: 580 times
Been thanked: 500 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by biggie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:41 pm

6pm is hurting the Wake attendance. Most of their fans I work with said they won’t make it.



Budman2154
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:03 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lincolnton, NC
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by Budman2154 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:03 pm

I haven’t seen any coach showing signs like that of Iron Mike. Maybe the Dance team or Cheerleading coach should step up. With all the cheerleading and dancing done by players on the sidelines ( those dressed and those in jerseys only) at the UNCC game that appears to be what they are interested in.



huskie3
Posts: 3702
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2000 9:57 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Gaston County
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Mack is back on his ole track, telling team they are playing for a state championship against Wake and APP.


Bring Your A Game!

APPRIDE
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:29 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:22 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:38 pm
APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:13 am
appfan22 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:55 am
Bruce Feldman of The Athletic has Wake Forest beating UNC 27-23 on Friday.
FRIDAY? Again? that’s 3 weeks in a row playing on Friday night? how odd.
I really do wish college ball would avoid Friday night. I’m afraid it’s a trend that has begun that will end up steamrolling over high school ball. With all the Carolina fans in this state it will put a hurting on high school game attendance Friday.
yeah, I agree with that but to be clear, I was specifically meaning Wake themselves are playing 3 Friday nights in a row...that’s unprecedented I’m sure.



AppinVA
Posts: 11828
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 9:41 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1534 times
Been thanked: 1386 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:25 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:22 pm
Apptrain wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:38 pm
APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:13 am
appfan22 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:55 am
Bruce Feldman of The Athletic has Wake Forest beating UNC 27-23 on Friday.
FRIDAY? Again? that’s 3 weeks in a row playing on Friday night? how odd.
I really do wish college ball would avoid Friday night. I’m afraid it’s a trend that has begun that will end up steamrolling over high school ball. With all the Carolina fans in this state it will put a hurting on high school game attendance Friday.
yeah, I agree with that but to be clear, I was specifically meaning Wake themselves are playing 3 Friday nights in a row...that’s unprecedented I’m sure.
Seeing as Wake impersonated a high school team for years, I don’t see a problem with that.


"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

App74
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:05 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 386 times
Been thanked: 178 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by App74 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:16 am

I was talking to a WF graduate (former judge) yesterday about WF and App being referred to as warm up games for UNC. His response:

"You do realize that journalism is one of the primary majors at Carolina."



EastHallApp
Posts: 5625
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2500 times
Been thanked: 1998 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 am

App74 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:16 am
I was talking to a WF graduate (former judge) yesterday about WF and App being referred to as warm up games for UNC. His response:

"You do realize that journalism is one of the primary majors at Carolina."
The author is a Michigan grad.



Yosef84
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 302 times
Been thanked: 1006 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am
appchicago wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:30 am
TheMoody1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 am
ASUGrad2014 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:02 am
If you look at the schools, App State should lose this game. App has roughly 19,000 students while UNC has roughly 29,000. I am glad that we are being overlooked... Winning will be much more sweeter! :D
UNC should then take care of Clemson since they only have 21k students. :lol:
And UNCC should have creamed us. Liberty should be top of the heap, if we can include online students.
Yes and we should schedule a tune-up game against Notre Dame.
Not to mention that Texas State (>40K students) should be dominating the Belt



User avatar
BeauFoster
Posts: 5309
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:42 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: In a cubicle
Has thanked: 519 times
Been thanked: 577 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:18 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 am
App74 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:16 am
I was talking to a WF graduate (former judge) yesterday about WF and App being referred to as warm up games for UNC. His response:

"You do realize that journalism is one of the primary majors at Carolina."
The author is a Michigan grad.
Makes it even less shocking!


Give 'em hell!

bigdaddyg
Posts: 3126
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 820 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:40 am

I like what someone said about the silver lining of the UNCC game. Had not really thought this angle but had we beaten them soundly the team might have gotten a little complacent during the bye week. Now at least the defense and the coaching staff have something to seriously work on in prep for Carolina. Can't wait.



Black Saturday
Posts: 9002
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 370 times
Been thanked: 313 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Tune up -

ArkySt

UGA -32.5

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... las-vegas/

That's why we are considered a tune up or buy a win, when our level is supposed to get boat raced by the top teams.


BLACK SATURDAY

EastHallApp
Posts: 5625
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2500 times
Been thanked: 1998 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:14 pm
Tune up -

ArkySt

UGA -32.5

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... las-vegas/

That's why we are considered a tune up or buy a win, when our level is supposed to get boat raced by the top teams.

Georgia would probably be about a 20-point favorite over UNC, and we'd be a double-digit favorite over stAte.



User avatar
BeauFoster
Posts: 5309
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:42 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: In a cubicle
Has thanked: 519 times
Been thanked: 577 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:57 pm

I understand the sentiment to be upset over being called a "tune up game". It frustrates me a bit as well. But taken in the broad context, there's what...2, maybe 3 teams who you would consider to be on the level of Clemson? We can look at it as a slap in the face (which it most likely was intended to be), or we can look at it as "Clemson is one of the most talented teams in the country, and certainly the most stern test for unc. Therefore, these games leading up to it are tune ups for the biggest battle."

In some eyes, App is even or favorites to win the game. That would make UNC one of our tune up games for later down the road (though I don't know who we'd be tuning up for). I hope this lights a fire under the team, but I'm not going to get worked up over what some dink in blue town has to say about App.


Give 'em hell!

Black Saturday
Posts: 9002
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 370 times
Been thanked: 313 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:47 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:28 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:14 pm
Tune up -

ArkySt

UGA -32.5

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... las-vegas/

That's why we are considered a tune up or buy a win, when our level is supposed to get boat raced by the top teams.

Georgia would probably be about a 20-point favorite over UNC, and we'd be a double-digit favorite over stAte.
Contrary to what I thought before our UNCC game, UNC is going to be favored over APP., we'll see Sunday.


BLACK SATURDAY

Longrifle28
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 620 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: SI writer refers to Appalachian State as “Tune up game” for UNC

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Wake Forest said tune this up mfers!


"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 68 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests