Arkansas fires HC

The Rock
Posts: 1290
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 537 times

Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Drinks name has already been mentioned in this discussion.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ad-morris/



Saint3333
Posts: 9991
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1086 times
Been thanked: 1397 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:55 pm

If I’m a 36 year old coach I get a call from a bottom half SEC west program I may just wait for the next opportunity. Arkansas’s ceiling is 8-9 wins and that will never be enough for their fanbase.



User avatar
biggie
Site Admin
Posts: 4144
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Clemmons
Has thanked: 565 times
Been thanked: 448 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by biggie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Who would want someone who isn’t playing with their own recruits? That would seem risky.



AppfaninCAALand
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Richmond, VA
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:15 pm

Get ready and get used to it. We are now at a place where we must follow the coaching carousel every year. Time to get a home and home clause in the buyout section of every new coach's contract.



bigdaddyg
Posts: 2882
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 698 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:17 pm

College football is out of control as far as coaches go. I don’t doubt anything at this point



AppfaninCAALand
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Richmond, VA
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:55 pm
If I’m a 36 year old coach I get a call from a bottom half SEC west program I may just wait for the next opportunity. Arkansas’s ceiling is 8-9 wins and that will never be enough for their fanbase.
If I'm a 36 year old coach, I'm taking a huge guaranteed contract that would set me and my kids up for life, first chance its offered me. If its at a dumpster fire P5, even better, because when I'm fired in 2-3 years and I'm wise with my guaranteed money, I can retire. Who doesn't want to retire by 40?

But then again I don't have that competitive fire in belly that all even mediocre coaches have. Maybe that's why I'm not a college football coach and nowhere near being able to retire?



User avatar
appst89
Site Admin
Posts: 9136
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2000 3:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 178 times
Been thanked: 905 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:01 pm

I thought about this when I heard Arkansas had fired Morris. Given Morris' poor performance, I think Arkansas may be really gun shy about taking a chance on another young G5 coach.



User avatar
NavyApp
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Norfolk, VA
Has thanked: 429 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:28 pm

appst89 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:01 pm
I thought about this when I heard Arkansas had fired Morris. Given Morris' poor performance, I think Arkansas may be really gun shy about taking a chance on another young G5 coach.
True; but I doubt the big name coaches are beating down the door to take over that dumpster fire. Petrino filled the dumpster full of combustible material, Beilima lit the match and threw it in. Morris threw some gas on it thinking the old adage of fighting fire with fire was an actual fire fighting technique.


FREQS AND GEEKS!

User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 2015
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Stephens City, VA
Has thanked: 386 times
Been thanked: 795 times
Contact:

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Need more donations



EastHallApp
Posts: 5365
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2260 times
Been thanked: 1845 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:37 pm

We’ll see. If we can run the table, 11-1 with two P5 wins in his first year might well get Drink some looks from bigger schools. Does that include the SEC West? I doubt he’ll be their first choice, but as you guys say, they may have to work down their list a bit.



BUTCH1991
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Point
Has thanked: 689 times
Been thanked: 345 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 am

Drink is #2 on the betting line for the job.



ComebackShack
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by ComebackShack » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:24 am

Arkansas will want to make a bigger splash than a 1st year head coach at (in their view) a small time G5 school.


Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/appalachian_st

Mjohn1988
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 243 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 am

Maybe we will lose our last three games and get to keep our coach. If he gets an offer he’s gone, is what it is.



Yosef10
Posts: 1304
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:41 am

If I’m Ark my first calls are to Norvell (played at Central Arkansas IIRC) and then Mike Leach if Norvell says no. After that it’s a crap shoot and wouldn’t be surprised to see Drink near the top of their list of it shakes out that way.



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 4515
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 648 times
Been thanked: 1713 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:45 am

For a first time coach who inherited a loaded team I would not as an AD hire any coach until i see how his recruiting classes start playing.......



appfan22
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by appfan22 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:06 pm

As someone who grew up in the state of Arkansas, this worries me. Arkansans have a deep emotional tie with the state and its flagship university. The Razorbacks are the NFL/NBA/MLB team for the state all in one. People live and die with the Hogs. With Drink being an Arkansas native, I'm sure he shares some of the same sentiments.

Malzahn will be UofA's top target. He is one 7-8 win season away from being canned at Auburn. At this point in his career, it might be time to start looking for a refresh. What better place to go than back home?

But, if Malzahn doesn't bite, or wins out the remainder of his games at Auburn this year - Drink is a logical second choice. He was apart of the Mitch Mustain and Malzahn era at Springdale High School (Springdale is right around the corner from Fayetteville) the year before Malzahn took the OC job at UofA. I'm sure some of you remember the hype that Mustain drew, even though that was an utter fluke. Regardless, Drink's name will be tied to one of the better recent time periods of Arkansas football.

Arkansas fans would jump at the chance to have a young up and coming native of their state who just so happens to be one of the top protégés of arguably a top 5 SEC coach in the past decade. Throw in an 11-1 season with victories over two P5 programs and it seems like a no-brainer.

The recruiting argument is fair, but Drink could surround himself with an experienced staff with deep ties in Texas and be just fine. He's selling a program with top rated facilities, a storied tradition, a chance to compete in the best division of college football, early playing time, NFL opportunities, and a great college town atmosphere in Fayetteville. Another note to add - Morris locked down a top 25 class this past year. There is talent on the hill.

I would have a hard time believing that UofA isn't Drink's dream job. Time will ultimately tell, but this one may keep me up at night. Drink may not get a shot at this job again before another multi-million dollar offer gets thrown in his face.



Yosef10
Posts: 1304
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:10 pm

appfan22 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:06 pm
As someone who grew up in the state of Arkansas, this worries me. Arkansans have a deep emotional tie with the state and its flagship university. The Razorbacks are the NFL/NBA/MLB team for the state all in one. People live and die with the Hogs. With Drink being an Arkansas native, I'm sure he shares some of the same sentiments.

Malzahn will be UofA's top target. He is one 7-8 win season away from being canned at Auburn. At this point in his career, it might be time to start looking for a refresh. What better place to go than back home?

But, if Malzahn doesn't bite, or wins out the remainder of his games at Auburn this year - Drink is a logical second choice. He was apart of the Mitch Mustain and Malzahn era at Springdale High School (Springdale is right around the corner from Fayetteville) the year before Malzahn took the OC job at UofA. I'm sure some of you remember the hype that Mustain drew, even though that was an utter fluke. Regardless, Drink's name will be tied to one of the better recent time periods of Arkansas football.

Arkansas fans would jump at the chance to have a young up and coming native of their state who just so happens to be one of the top protégés of arguably a top 5 SEC coach in the past decade. Throw in an 11-1 season with victories over two P5 programs and it seems like a no-brainer.

The recruiting argument is fair, but Drink could surround himself with an experienced staff with deep ties in Texas and be just fine. He's selling a program with top rated facilities, a storied tradition, a chance to compete in the best division of college football, early playing time, NFL opportunities, and a great college town atmosphere in Fayetteville. Another note to add - Morris locked down a top 25 class this past year. There is talent on the hill.

I would have a hard time believing that UofA isn't Drink's dream job. Time will ultimately tell, but this one may keep me up at night. Drink may not get a shot at this job again before another multi-million dollar offer gets thrown in his face.
I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you said, if I’m Ark there’s a couple more guys I’d rather have than Drink but he’s still way up the list. The only thing is, he’s a native of Norman, OK, not Arkansas.



GoBoone
Posts: 309
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:13 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by GoBoone » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:11 pm

appfan22 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:06 pm
As someone who grew up in the state of Arkansas, this worries me. Arkansans have a deep emotional tie with the state and its flagship university. The Razorbacks are the NFL/NBA/MLB team for the state all in one. People live and die with the Hogs. With Drink being an Arkansas native, I'm sure he shares some of the same sentiments.

Malzahn will be UofA's top target. He is one 7-8 win season away from being canned at Auburn. At this point in his career, it might be time to start looking for a refresh. What better place to go than back home?

But, if Malzahn doesn't bite, or wins out the remainder of his games at Auburn this year - Drink is a logical second choice. He was apart of the Mitch Mustain and Malzahn era at Springdale High School (Springdale is right around the corner from Fayetteville) the year before Malzahn took the OC job at UofA. I'm sure some of you remember the hype that Mustain drew, even though that was an utter fluke. Regardless, Drink's name will be tied to one of the better recent time periods of Arkansas football.

Arkansas fans would jump at the chance to have a young up and coming native of their state who just so happens to be one of the top protégés of arguably a top 5 SEC coach in the past decade. Throw in an 11-1 season with victories over two P5 programs and it seems like a no-brainer.

The recruiting argument is fair, but Drink could surround himself with an experienced staff with deep ties in Texas and be just fine. He's selling a program with top rated facilities, a storied tradition, a chance to compete in the best division of college football, early playing time, NFL opportunities, and a great college town atmosphere in Fayetteville. Another note to add - Morris locked down a top 25 class this past year. There is talent on the hill.

I would have a hard time believing that UofA isn't Drink's dream job. Time will ultimately tell, but this one may keep me up at night. Drink may not get a shot at this job again before another multi-million dollar offer gets thrown in his face.
Dead on.



ericsaid
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 178 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:41 am
If I’m Ark my first calls are to Norvell (played at Central Arkansas IIRC) and then Mike Leach if Norvell says no. After that it’s a crap shoot and wouldn’t be surprised to see Drink near the top of their list of it shakes out that way.
I'm also calling Leach. His offensive philosophy can take lesser talent and make it competitive. Can imagine he'd be able to accomplish some good things at Arkansas with a greater ability to recruit. It's a tough job to want for any coach though, being in the west with LSU, Alabama, and Auburn.

If i'm Drinkwitz, I continue to play things out at App and see what other openings come available. Arkansas doesn't have the talent to compete immediately and it wouldn't be surprising to see whomever takes over next have the same results as Morris.



ericsaid
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 178 times

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:27 pm

GoBoone wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:11 pm
appfan22 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:06 pm
As someone who grew up in the state of Arkansas, this worries me. Arkansans have a deep emotional tie with the state and its flagship university. The Razorbacks are the NFL/NBA/MLB team for the state all in one. People live and die with the Hogs. With Drink being an Arkansas native, I'm sure he shares some of the same sentiments.

Malzahn will be UofA's top target. He is one 7-8 win season away from being canned at Auburn. At this point in his career, it might be time to start looking for a refresh. What better place to go than back home?

But, if Malzahn doesn't bite, or wins out the remainder of his games at Auburn this year - Drink is a logical second choice. He was apart of the Mitch Mustain and Malzahn era at Springdale High School (Springdale is right around the corner from Fayetteville) the year before Malzahn took the OC job at UofA. I'm sure some of you remember the hype that Mustain drew, even though that was an utter fluke. Regardless, Drink's name will be tied to one of the better recent time periods of Arkansas football.

Arkansas fans would jump at the chance to have a young up and coming native of their state who just so happens to be one of the top protégés of arguably a top 5 SEC coach in the past decade. Throw in an 11-1 season with victories over two P5 programs and it seems like a no-brainer.

The recruiting argument is fair, but Drink could surround himself with an experienced staff with deep ties in Texas and be just fine. He's selling a program with top rated facilities, a storied tradition, a chance to compete in the best division of college football, early playing time, NFL opportunities, and a great college town atmosphere in Fayetteville. Another note to add - Morris locked down a top 25 class this past year. There is talent on the hill.

I would have a hard time believing that UofA isn't Drink's dream job. Time will ultimately tell, but this one may keep me up at night. Drink may not get a shot at this job again before another multi-million dollar offer gets thrown in his face.
Dead on.
Is it possible Arkansas fired Morris knowing they could get one of their top targets? It would be plausible to assume that they see the success Drinkwitz is having and know they have a good shot of landing him.

You don't fire a coach mid-season without an idea of who you're going to go after. Time for a contract extension with a 7 figure buyout (not sure if that's a thing) for Drinkwitz.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 26 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests