Looking For Recommendations

User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 2186
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Stephens City, VA
Has thanked: 442 times
Been thanked: 916 times
Contact:

Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:47 am

Holding off on booking anything until probably next month (Waiting to gauge COVID reopenings), but I wanted to ask you all what are the best beaches in NC or SC preferably with a boardwalk. Anything outside of OBX I figured there are enough Carolinians on here to get a good suggestion.

Side note: It be a family trip with my wife and kids.



User avatar
beav910
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by beav910 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am

I'm from Holden Beach originally and while it doesn't have a boardwalk it's a good family beach so I'd recommend that. A few restaurants and generally less crowded than Carolina or Wrightsville. About an hour up the road from Holden, Carolina Beach has a boardwalk that is pretty touristy but Britt's Donuts is the main draw there. There are plenty of places to stay there and it's way more affordable than Wrightsville although Wrightsville is more upscale. Coming from the position of someone who has lived at the beach all his life I don't have the perspective of a tourist, so someone will probably be able to answer it better than me.


Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

User avatar
appdaze
Posts: 2627
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:08 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 20, 2020 12:10 pm

surf city/topsail and emerald isle have been favorites of our. The outer banks has the most attractions for a short drive. Wilmington can be nice. The downtown has nice areas to walk by the water. The shops are traps. Moorheadcity/beaufort/atlantic beach area is nice. Only Wilmington as a long boardwalk. Some of the smaller cities have short boardwalk like areas but nothing really significant.



User avatar
PhillyApp
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Has thanked: 397 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by PhillyApp » Wed May 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Agreed with Carolina Beach. You can’t go wrong there, and Britt’s Donuts are worth the trip in itself. Plus Wilmington is nearby so you can make a day trip there if you’d like.


Clark for Prez 2020 💪🏼

User avatar
BeauFoster
Posts: 5370
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:42 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: In a cubicle
Has thanked: 556 times
Been thanked: 622 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 pm

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:10 pm
surf city/topsail and emerald isle have been favorites of our. The outer banks has the most attractions for a short drive. Wilmington can be nice. The downtown has nice areas to walk by the water. The shops are traps. Moorheadcity/beaufort/atlantic beach area is nice. Only Wilmington as a long boardwalk. Some of the smaller cities have short boardwalk like areas but nothing really significant.
Surf City is open for business right now, with the 2-3 restaurants open for takeout. However there are some rental restrictions still in place. Public parking is open and free (from what my in laws said - they have a house there).


Give 'em hell!

mike87
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:55 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 178 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by mike87 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:40 pm

I think Emerald Isle is the prettiest beach in NC. South facing so you can get both sunrise and sunset and close to Beaufort which is worth a day trip to see the waterfront. Nice aquarium in neighboring Pine Knoll shores. EI town is lacking but it's got a Dairy Queen so that's enough for me. Couple surf shops and good restaurants too.



User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 4692
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 491 times
Been thanked: 1681 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm

beav910 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am
I'm from Holden Beach originally and while it doesn't have a boardwalk it's a good family beach so I'd recommend that. A few restaurants and generally less crowded than Carolina or Wrightsville. About an hour up the road from Holden, Carolina Beach has a boardwalk that is pretty touristy but Britt's Donuts is the main draw there. There are plenty of places to stay there and it's way more affordable than Wrightsville although Wrightsville is more upscale. Coming from the position of someone who has lived at the beach all his life I don't have the perspective of a tourist, so someone will probably be able to answer it better than me.
I've been going to Holden since I was a kid! My grandmother has a house on the Island. I've been twice since the Pandemic started. Good thing ProCo was still doing takeout.



Mjohn1988
Posts: 816
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 121 times
Been thanked: 530 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Cherry Grove in SC is a really great family spot. It still has a lot of houses for rent. No boardwalk but you want miss it. Easy driving distance to the shopping and such in Myrtle Beach but removed from the huge condos and hotels. Very close as well to Calabash and Little River N.C. Both have some good eats. Great beach with a couple of piers and a family atmosphere. Also very close to OD in North Myrtle Beach. This is sort of like a boardwalk area. If go the SC route I would also suggest an evening in Muriels Inlet, an old fishing town that’s now full of good restaurants and a really cool atmosphere.



User avatar
beav910
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by beav910 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:07 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm
beav910 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am
I'm from Holden Beach originally and while it doesn't have a boardwalk it's a good family beach so I'd recommend that. A few restaurants and generally less crowded than Carolina or Wrightsville. About an hour up the road from Holden, Carolina Beach has a boardwalk that is pretty touristy but Britt's Donuts is the main draw there. There are plenty of places to stay there and it's way more affordable than Wrightsville although Wrightsville is more upscale. Coming from the position of someone who has lived at the beach all his life I don't have the perspective of a tourist, so someone will probably be able to answer it better than me.
I've been going to Holden since I was a kid! My grandmother has a house on the Island. I've been twice since the Pandemic started. Good thing ProCo was still doing takeout.
Nice! I was just there last weekend surfing tropical storm Arthur. And yeah ProCo is the shit. I'm 28 but it seems like it's changed so much from even when I was younger. The Causeway is completely different.


Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1904
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 1110 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed May 20, 2020 2:31 pm

I'd recommend Ocean Isle.



Appstrong
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:24 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by Appstrong » Wed May 20, 2020 2:38 pm

Just curious, why the objection to OBX?



User avatar
NO.2
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 178 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:06 pm

IOP, Kiawah, Hilton Head, and Murrells Inlet were the usual destinations for my family when I was younger. Oddly enough I didn't make it to an NC beach until I was in college.

If you were a TApp regular you'll be able to find Solle working down on Folly.



appchicago
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:06 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 334 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by appchicago » Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm

Grew up going to SC beaches—my favorite for low-key family trips is Edisto, though I love Sullivan’s, IOP, and Folly for proximity to Charleston. We went to Pawleys a fair bit thanks to a family friend, but houses are pricey and public access is rare. I also like the beaches down around Beaufort (SC), where my grandparents lived when I was growing up.

Having said all that, we go to Holden now that we have kids and live in NC. Quintessential beach vacation spot. We’ll be there in a few weeks. It’s actually perfect for the current weirdness—spacious beaches with plenty of access so the crowds are distributed, and the only places we typically eat out are ice cream places and Provision. It’s best suited for people seeking days on the beach, bike rides, etc.



User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 2186
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Stephens City, VA
Has thanked: 442 times
Been thanked: 916 times
Contact:

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Appstrong wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:38 pm
Just curious, why the objection to OBX?
Just wanting somewhere new that we've never been. I love OBX. Nothing against it at all.



hAPPy4APP
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:42 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Wed May 20, 2020 5:01 pm

Carolina Beach is small enough to be considered old school atmosphere but has nice hotels, good food and family friendly. Bring your own bikes or rent when you arrive. Lots of quiet streets to ride just off the main drag. Also has a new, wide boardwalk and Britts donuts just a few steps away. Hurricane Alley on the boardwalk features rooftop dining and drinks, and has been expanded . Open for take-out and may be open when you go. Food Lion and Publix.



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 26095
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1204 times
Been thanked: 1428 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by asu66 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:01 pm

Check this...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRen ... -carolina/

And this for a bit of a twist...

https://www.visitnc.com/coast

Our family has had a preference for Wrightsville, Kure and south of the border at OD since the 50s. Many other great choices available!


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appstate77
Posts: 2250
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:49 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Little River, South Carolina
Has thanked: 925 times
Been thanked: 583 times
Contact:

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:35 pm

I retired to Little River. I go to Cherry Grove. I also like Sunset Beach NC. Not sure it is open. Ocean Isle Beach NC is nice and is open.



spacemonkey
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: Looking For Recommendations

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed May 20, 2020 7:25 pm

I was a lifeguard at NMB and have a place in Crescent, so I am biased. If I were taking small children and IF you enjoy swimming in the ocean, NMB and especially the Crescent area has the flattest nicest beach and ocean swimming areas. Long slow slope into the ocean. As you can tell from my previous comments, I am a beach bum and love the beach and ocean. I hate how much the city part of NMB has grown. The latest strip mall with TJMax and Ross hurt me. SUNSET is really a little better but it is too expensive for me. I don't think Sunset has ever been replenished.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 32 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests

    Most users ever online was 1927 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:27 am

    Users browsing this forum: satelliteapp and 31 guests