Cadet Interview

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Cadet Interview

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:29 am

New Orleans Saints Running Back Travaris Cadet

Post-Practice Media Availability

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Even with all the depth at the running back position, it seems that you are getting all the first team snaps. What are your thoughts on being able to do that within the first two weeks of training camp?

“I really don’t think about the depth too much. I know we have a loaded backfield, but I just try and go out there every day and execute the play and my assignments the best way I know I can do them. I have to take each play at a time, constantly ask coach questions when I have questions, and make the sacrifices I have to make to make this squad.”

How much do you look at this team’s history of taking undrafted guys and how much does that help you make plays regardless of where you came from?

“I look at it as if, especially like Pierre Thomas he took me under his wing. Guys like, Chris Ivory and Junior Galette, guys that have made the team, guys who have made sacrifices to make the team, and guys who have gained that respect and that trust within the players and the coaching staff. I look up to those guys because they came in here from square one like I did and they had to make all the sacrifices you have to make to make this team. I play special teams of course, execute the plan on offense and basically take it a play at a time. I stay in the film room and just try to get better every day.”

Is it a surprise to you how much they have used you in the passing game or did you do a lot of that at Appalachian State?

“At Appalachian State, every time we went four wide, I was in the slot primarily. I played running back mainly when we brought in a tight end in the game. At Appalachian State in 2009, the only reason I ended up at running back was because I fractured my thumb in 2010, which was my second year playing running back. I also started off playing quarterback so I was kind of position hopping where they used me in certain packages to create mismatches when I got in the slot, from the backfield I did punt and kick returns. Receiver is kind of natural to me and is mainly my first position.”

Is it all about vision in learning the running back position?

“Yes. It’s really all about vision. It doesn’t matter how fast you are, how athletic you are, if you are missing the holes you aren’t going to make it. In the NFL, in my first two games, I’ve always heard, from the outside looking in, they always say the speed of the game changes, but when you get out there, I don’t care if you run a 4.1, if you are missing the holes and not following behind your linemen and not making that right cut, you will get hit in the mouth. Vision does play a big part of playing running back.”

Talk about your spin move.

“The spin move, actually, I never did it in college, it’s just something that I picked up when I got here.”

What type of role do you think you will have on this team?

“The first is to make the team. And then probably going to be that versatile guy, and use me in certain packages, certain pass packages, maybe run packages and of course being on punt return, kick return, running down on kick offs.”

Do you think being able to do all of those things helps your ability to make an active roster with this team?

“Yes, because it’s like you taking a position of about five guys. You can bring one guy in to catch kickoffs, you can bring one guy in to catch punts, you can bring one guy in to be a running back and you can bring one guy in to be a receiver. I feel like I have all those talents and that I can do all of those things at once. I really think it gives me a chance to make this football team.”

Would it be acceptable to you to make the practice squad?

“I can’t really say. I shoot for the stars. I go out there and work hard every day and if it comes down to that point, I’ll just let God make the decision. I will just go out there and continue to work, not complaining, because you know I never complain about anything in life. I just take advantage of every opportunity that has been given to me. If I’m put on the practice squad, maybe I’m doing something I’m not supposed to be doing right at the time. But right now, I’m just trying to take it a day at a time and at the end of the day hopefully I’ll be on the active roster.”
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: Cadet Interview

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:52 am

Love to hear that from Cadet. He has his head firmly on his shoulders. And I don't think he has to worry about the practice squad for long. If he keeps playing like he has these first two games and NO tries to put him there he will get picked up quickly by another team. There were 15 scouts at the Hall of Fame game and a couple more than that at their last game. Many of them have to have him on their radar right now. Glad to see him doing well.

Hate to hear about Jason Hunter just after he got the starting job but he'll recover and be back.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:58 pm

From a couple days ago:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... tock-watch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FALLING

Chris Ivory, Saints. New Orleans already had a wealth of riches at running back entering training camp. Now, the Saints look deeper than ever with undrafted rookie Travaris Cadet having a very nice preseason. Ivory entered camp clearly as the fourth running back. But Cadet has made that a little murky. Cadet has shown he can run and catch the ball and pass protect. He also has return skills, which make him more versatile. Maybe the Saints keep Ivory and try to stash Cadet on the practice squad. But that would be a risky tactic because 31 other teams have been watching tape of his preseason.

G2ASU

Unread post by G2ASU » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Same positive attitude and team 1st mentality he had with us

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:20 pm

Cadet with 70 all purpose yards thus far tonight.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:25 pm

And another TD. Big night for him again.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Cadet Stat Line for tonight.

3 rushes for 28 yards....Long gain of 10
5 catches for 62 yards and a TD....Long gain of 24
3 KR with a 28.3 yard average...long of 33
1 PR for 1 yard.

He is showing a lot of scouts a lot to consider. If he doesn't make the Saints he will have a job somewhere. Showing tons of heart also.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:29 pm

Nice recap of Cadet's performance tonight in the Saints' loss to the Jaguars by the New Orleans Times-Picayune:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... varis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice photos of his touchdown and subsequent celebration:

http://photos.nola.com/tpphotos/2012/08 ... or_15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://photos.nola.com/tpphotos/2012/08 ... or_37.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:17 am

Man we obviously didn't use this kid enough in the pass game.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:59 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Man we obviously didn't use this kid enough in the pass game.
Just look at how many players APP has put in the pro camps and on rosters since our last championship compared to other FCS. Wonder why we have added to our 3-peat? Ask the dearly departed clowns...they had no clue as to what they had or what to do with it.

Not sure of the current talent level yet, waiting to see them play, but I'll bet you a Q sandwich that the new staff will make a difference in utilizing what we have.

Cadet:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jaguars-ed ... --nfl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Here's a later article:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... t_224.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BLACK SATURDAY

AppRy

Unread post by AppRy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:40 am

Video:
http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2 ... s_wor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ggergg30

Unread post by ggergg30 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:09 am

http://www.goblueridge.net/index.php?op ... Itemid=157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Texas v Saints on CBS tonight - more Cadet!

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up! It looks like Cadet, the guy with the least NFL hype, is going to end up being a star!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”