Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Update on NFL info

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Update on NFL info

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:49 am

So does he owe us a refund on scholarship money?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:56 am

bcoach wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:49 am
Technically, he saved us in that department by leaving early.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:22 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:43 am
The character assassination of Cam by certain boosters and likely staffers over the last two years has been disheartening.

I'll always remember that in 2013, when Jamal Londry-Jackson physically fell off and couldn't play, there were all sorts of rumors about how he didn't have the heart, his mom was toxic, he didn't want to play for Satt, he's getting the wrong advice, etc. Turns out he had Graves Disease, which he didn't find out about until 2015, which kept him from keeping on weight. Plus he had surgery for a torn ACL which he played with through 2012 and had suffered a torn meniscus, collapsed lung, etc.

Point is, we don't know about someone's personal battles. And maybe they don't even know at this point. So it just needs to end.
For the record, I'm not trying to assassinate the kid's character. From everything I've heard and seen he seems like a really good dude. I'm just disappointed to hear that he was medically cleared to play against GA Southern and chose to sit out. In a game that close, he likely would've been a difference maker. I'm not trying to throw stones; I've disappointed plenty of folks as well.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:31 pm

We’ve had several highly regarded players who have decreased their participation in the late stages of their final season. It’s not widely discussed, but it’s become an increasingly frequent part of college football. This certainly isn’t unique to Cam.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:34 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:56 am
bcoach wrote:
How so?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:42 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:31 pm
We’ve had several highly regarded players who have decreased their participation in the late stages of their final season. It’s not widely discussed, but it’s become an increasingly frequent part of college football. This certainly isn’t unique to Cam.
Very true. More and more have done it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:45 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:34 pm
hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
How so?
I think he means because we could use his scholarship on someone who has more durability. We have struggled with that a lot lately in the RB room.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:17 pm

T-Dog wrote:
The character assassination of Cam by certain boosters and likely staffers over the last two years has been disheartening.

I'll always remember that in 2013, when Jamal Londry-Jackson physically fell off and couldn't play, there were all sorts of rumors about how he didn't have the heart, his mom was toxic, he didn't want to play for Satt, he's getting the wrong advice, etc. Turns out he had Graves Disease, which he didn't find out about until 2015, which kept him from keeping on weight. Plus he had surgery for a torn ACL which he played with through 2012 and had suffered a torn meniscus, collapsed lung, etc.

Point is, we don't know about someone's personal battles. And maybe they don't even know at this point. So it just needs to end.
I played with JLJ and to this day will talk to him at least twice a week. I don't remember any of this. At least in the locker room, nobody thought he fell off physically at all. We all knew he was dealing with something more than just being a skinny guy. The staff knew it when they recruited him. We all knew he had an autoimmune disorder from birth and thought that was the cause for his lack of weight gain. It was something after his playing days that had the diagnosis of Graves and that played a part, but that was not the only reason for his slender build.

If this kind of chatter was happening in the fan base, it was mild and JLJ never got wind of it.

And for the record, his mom was toxic. Only parent in my playing days that forced their way in to the locker room. Super nice lady, but nobody got in the way of her baby!

But yes, I agree with you. You never know what's going on in a 18-22 year olds head or what they are going through.

Sure, they may be good at tackling the QB. But do you think his head is going to be 100% on that when his 14 year old brother is literally begging on the street corner so him, his mom, dad, and little brother can buy a loaf of bread for lunch and dinner?

Chances are 99% on this board or on the Twatters have ever been in a college football locker room when players aren't even on campus -- let alone see what happens in season.

There's a reason there's an unwritten rule in high level sports of everything stays in the locker room. The stories, the walks of life, the pre-existing conditions, the bad medical advice from peer student trainers in high school (not doctors, actual high school students with no formal training but that's all the school could afford) causing more medical issues in the future, the guys that had never worn a new pair of shoes until we got our gear, etc.

That is why I will never judge a player that wants to sit out. All people process things differently. Is that something I would have done as a player? No. But that doesn't mean I am in the right. I have no idea what that person's (he's more than just a player on your favorite college football team) thoughts are and I am certainly not in a position to judge anybody on anything.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:27 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:45 pm
bcoach wrote:
hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
How so?
I think he means because he could have come back but did not so we could use his scholarship elsewhere. We need the RB room to stay healthy and durability/track mentality has kept Cam off the field a lot.
Ok got that. Now how about the year he didn't complete? If you chose not to play you are not living up to the agreement to play in return for a scholarship.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:37 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:17 pm
T-Dog wrote:

I played with JLJ and to this day will talk to him at least twice a week. I don't remember any of this. At least in the locker room, nobody thought he fell off physically at all. We all knew he was dealing with something more than just being a skinny guy. The staff knew it when they recruited him. We all knew he had an autoimmune disorder from birth and thought that was the cause for his lack of weight gain. It was something after his playing days that had the diagnosis of Graves and that played a part, but that was not the only reason for his slender build.

If this kind of chatter was happening in the fan base, it was mild and JLJ never got wind of it.

And for the record, his mom was toxic. Only parent in my playing days that forced their way in to the locker room. Super nice lady, but nobody got in the way of her baby!

But yes, I agree with you. You never know what's going on in a 18-22 year olds head or what they are going through.

Sure, they may be good at tackling the QB. But do you think his head is going to be 100% on that when his 14 year old brother is literally begging on the street corner so him, his mom, dad, and little brother can buy a loaf of bread for lunch and dinner?

Chances are 99% on this board or on the Twatters have ever been in a college football locker room when players aren't even on campus -- let alone see what happens in season.

There's a reason there's an unwritten rule in high level sports of everything stays in the locker room. The stories, the walks of life, the pre-existing conditions, the bad medical advice from peer student trainers in high school (not doctors, actual high school students with no formal training but that's all the school could afford) causing more medical issues in the future, the guys that had never worn a new pair of shoes until we got our gear, etc.

That is why I will never judge a player that wants to sit out. All people process things differently. Is that something I would have done as a player? No. But that doesn't mean I am in the right. I have no idea what that person's (he's more than just a player on your favorite college football team) thoughts are and I am certainly not in a position to judge anybody on anything.
I didn’t remember people bashing him from inside the program or even boosters. Everyone knew he had an issue. I. heard the story about her forcing her way in. His mother was a helicopter parent for sure from what I heard.

One thing people, including agents and media, don’t realize is that the NFL grades from junior pro day are based on their play on the field only. They don’t adjust for medical or character because that is the job of GMs and directors to decide. For example, there is an OL at Tennessee this year who is a nightmare but I am sure agents are recruiting him due to his mid round grades. He won’t get drafted or make it and smart agents won’t chase him.

You are so right. I remember being in the locker room and we felt as though we were a family. We were brothers and looked out for each other. We might have joked and pranked each other but we looked out for each other outside of the football building.

I am like you that I would have played but I won’t judge him for sitting out. I wish he played but I get it. He felt he needed to protect himself from injury and like I mentioned before he had a lot of agents and jock sniffers from Twitter in his ear.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:40 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
How so?
I think he means because we could use his scholarship on someone who has more durability. We have struggled with that a lot lately in the RB room.
His scholarship was for the 2022-2023 academic year. By not enrolling in Spring classes, we saved that portion of his scholarship.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:44 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:27 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
How so?
Ok got that. Now how about the year he didn't complete? If you chose not to play you are not living up to the agreement to play in return for a scholarship.
He could have applied for a medical redshirt for 2019 but our staff did not do it because I would imagine Cam did not have interest in doing so. He could not help the injury. I think he should have come back for one more year but I understand his concern. He had a lot of injuries and already had that track mentality so I do understand why he decided to leave healthy and ensure he did not get hurt at the end of the season.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:46 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:40 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
How so?
His scholarship was for the 2022-2023 academic year. By not enrolling in Spring classes, we saved that portion of his scholarship.
Most people forget about that part so these players go who train somewhere and don't take classes do save the school money from having to pay for the spring. One big problem happening in the business today is that agents and training facilities are in their ears to go off and train. Our players would be smart to stay in Boone and workout at our facility free while they finish their degree but the fad these days is to go off to an expensive facility and get combine specific training.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:50 pm

Rams have made their roster cuts and Nick Hampton has made the 53 like we all expected. Congrats to Nick!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:55 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:44 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:27 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
hapapp wrote:

How so?
He could have applied for a medical redshirt for 2019 but our staff did not do it because I would imagine Cam did not have interest in doing so. He could not help the injury. I think he should have come back for one more year but I understand his concern. He had a lot of injuries and already had that track mentality so I do understand why he decided to leave healthy and ensure he did not get hurt at the end of the season.
Key being " he decided to leave healthy". In other words only one side of the commitment was completed. Again this is not so specific to him as it is to this world of one sided commitments. What would the conversation be if the program pulled the scholarship of a player during the season.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:04 pm

I don’t think the decision to move on was entirely Cam’s decision. Sometimes you just have to move on. And that goes both ways.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:13 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:46 am
311neers wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:05 am
Sounds like someone gave him horrible advice. We are going to see more and more sitting out as kids prepare and train for the NFL. But, if you sit out, you better get drafted and make a roster.
If he had sat out a potential bowl game I would have said whatever, but this game had a LOT riding on it and his senior brothers missed an opportunity to keep their bowl appearance streak alive because of the loss.

BTW, I feel like a complete douche bag for coming on here complaining about his lack of touches, I guess I understand now. I will definitely remember the highlights though and hope the best for a mountaineer.
No need to feel bad. A lot of people questioned it without knowing. And to be honest, when there isn’t free flowing information on the situation, it’s hard to fully understand.

It gets tricky though on a message board because people often pick a side. If one thinks the player is being under utilized then it’s the coaches fault. If someone sides with the coach, some take it as an assault on the kid or label it an excuse.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:19 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:04 pm
I don’t think the decision to move on was entirely Cam’s decision. Sometimes you just have to move on. And that goes both ways.
That would not surprise me. He is a good dude but I am sure his 2022 season was exhausting for the staff as well. He still had a choice because these players could have entered the portal. He actually had 2 years left to play if he got the medical redshirt and used the COVID year.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:17 pm

Here is what shows on ESPN right now.
Davis-Gaither, Akeem Cincinnati Bengals Linebacker
Evans, Darrynton Buffalo Bills Running Back
Hampton, Nick Los Angeles Rams Linebacker
Hardy, Anderson Kansas City Chiefs Center
Hayes, Tae Baltimore Ravens Cornerback
Hodges, Cooper Jacksonville Jaguars Offensive Tackle
Jackson, D'Marco New Orleans Saints Linebacker
Jean-Charles, Shemar Green Bay Packers Cornerback
Jolly, Shaun Los Angeles Rams Cornerback
Jones Jr., Steven Tennessee Titans Cornerback
Lamm, Kendall Miami Dolphins Offensive Tackle
Martin, Sam Buffalo Bills Punter
Neuzil, Ryan Atlanta Falcons Guard
Pearson, Henry Green Bay Packers Fullback

Removing the ones I know were cut:

Hodges, Cooper Jacksonville Jaguars Offensive Tackle - Short Term IR

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:36 pm

biggie wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:17 pm
Here is what shows on ESPN right now.
Evans, Darrynton Buffalo Bills Running Back
Jean-Charles, Shemar Green Bay Packers Cornerback
Jones Jr., Steven Tennessee Titans Cornerback

Removing the ones I know were cut:

Still researching
Pearson is not listed on the Packers roster so he has been cut. It will be interesting to see if he makes practice squad. Hodges is on the 53 now but will be put on short-term IR.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Apps in the Pros”