Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

1st Roy....

mike87
School: Appalachian State

Re: 1st Roy....

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:39 pm

I'll stand by my feelings about Roy and K and the one and done and lack of academic integrity in their programs. NBA may have been an instigator but an enabler is a very close 2nd. Hell, it's not like they needed the money. As far as App, I'll take our football program at the level it is along with the 18 semesters of 3.0 GPA over it being a top tier P5 with academic fraud any day. I guess most of us would or else we'd have attended one of those other schools. My opinion doesn't change because the ball is round.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:55 pm

I hope you do realize that Coach K has been against the one and done and every year he has worked to get it overthrown but the NBA has no desire to change - what do you want him and others to do? - Again they are paid to win basketball games and bring more recognition to their school (I don't mention unc in this) - Would you have liked Zion and Durant and Kyrie and Anthony Davis or LeBron to wear the Mountaineer uniform if only for one year?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:12 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:39 pm
I'll stand by my feelings about Roy and K and the one and done and lack of academic integrity in their programs. NBA may have been an instigator but an enabler is a very close 2nd. Hell, it's not like they needed the money. As far as App, I'll take our football program at the level it is along with the 18 semesters of 3.0 GPA over it being a top tier P5 with academic fraud any day. I guess most of us would or else we'd have attended one of those other schools. My opinion doesn't change because the ball is round.
OK. I get it now. John Calipari or K or whoever shouldn't sign the best players available even if for 1 or 2 years. They should sign the 1 and 2 stars because they will maybe stick around for 4 years. Then they go .500 and may or may not get an NCAA bid every 5 - 7 years. While the other schools are eating their lunch. I'm sure the alumni, students, and other fans would love that. Makes a lot of sense now. Maybe the G League will solve the whole problem. Which really isn't a problem at all. It's just life at the top in today's world.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:25 pm

I like the G league team that is giving these 1 and done guys $100,000 a year to see if they can develop for the league. Hopefully more G teams will do this and we can forget them in college.
Bring Your A Game!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:20 am

If we're looking to cast blame, go ahead and throw the TV networks and cable TV in along with the NCAA. The networks (mostly CBS) saw the unique potential of college basketball as a product (cinderellas, underdogs, real-time drama unfolding before your eyes, etc.).

When cable TV exploded on to the scene in the early 80's, access to far more US homes became a reality. Then ESPN came on to the scene and -PRESTO- the perfect vehicle to raise showcase the awesomeness of college basketball, March Madness, etc.

It wasn't long before individual leagues began contracting with ESPN and other networks to show games during the week (anyone remember Big Tuesday on ESPN, which showcased Big East basketball every Tuesday evening?)

More games televised means more eyeballs watching which equals a monster increase in ad revenue. More money, in short. And here we all are.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:57 am

appfanjj wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:12 pm
mike87 wrote:
OK. I get it now. John Calipari or K or whoever shouldn't sign the best players available even if for 1 or 2 years. They should sign the 1 and 2 stars because they will maybe stick around for 4 years. Then they go .500 and may or may not get an NCAA bid every 5 - 7 years. While the other schools are eating their lunch. I'm sure the alumni, students, and other fans would love that. Makes a lot of sense now. Maybe the G League will solve the whole problem. Which really isn't a problem at all. It's just life at the top in today's world.
No, actually I just don't give a rat's ass about K or Roy.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:45 am

You really can't equally compare basketball and football - there are no one and done in football - if there had been do you think Trevor Lawrence would have stayed at Clemson for 2 more years? - Have to have been three years out from your high school graduation to be drafted by the NFL - Mike87, I'm really not sure what you are so bent out of shape about?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:09 am

I would not mind seeing a provision in scholarships that if you leave school early to turn pro in the sport you were awarded a scholarship in that you pay the scholarship back.

The NBA minimum salary is a tad over $900,000. After taxes and other expenses of the job there would still be plenty left over to toss the scholarship cost back to the school for the one or two years. The drafted players can have the teams pay on their behalf if they like.

One reason the MiLB works is the low pay of the players and I am not really a fan of that low pay, but having a farm system for basketball is really needed. I would like to see some studies on the cost of running 2 or 3 level farm system for basketball. Not as many teams as baseball has but an official farm system. Hockey has two levels of farm teams below the NHL, and they have unionized players even in the farm system, and I imagine basketball could be cheaper to run than hockey. I am sure the Fieldhouse in Greensboro for the G-League is less costly to maintain than the W-S Fairgrounds annex building that is home to the T-Birds ice hockey team.

This would give the one and outs some options and not force schools to play that game as well.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:20 am

Also it needs to be mentioned that there has to be hundreds of college coaches in multiple sports who have been fired even though their graduation numbers had been outstanding
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:43 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:45 am
You really can't equally compare basketball and football - there are no one and done in football - if there had been do you think Trevor Lawrence would have stayed at Clemson for 2 more years? - Have to have been three years out from your high school graduation to be drafted by the NFL - Mike87, I'm really not sure what you are so bent out of shape about?
Voice inflection doesn't translate well into text. Really not bent out of shape, just not a fan of K. or Roy. I like the App way of doing things. Hard to speculate on T Lawrence. He did graduate where I've seen others leave football early. Maybe rose colored glasses because I like Clemson, but I do like Dabo and I think he pushes the academic side. I've typed probably too much into this topic though, it's not App so..

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:06 am

fair enough - as I have stated several times - I HATE THE ONE AND DONE!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:21 am

The one and done really does take a lot of excitement from the game. Imagine never seeing scoring records broken again, not to mention the constant new team year in and out. Realistically, Coach K is the only coach to win a Natty with mostly 1 and dones, in the 2015 team, although that team also had a few veterans to help lead, which to me shows that an experienced group of veterans is ultimately better equipped to win a title vs a young group of superstars

AppGrad1

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:55 am

App would be just like any other P5 school if they could get the one and done players.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:01 am

And I think I am correct on this. There are no retired numbers hanging in Cameron of players who didn't get their degree
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:01 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:01 am
And I think I am correct on this. There are no retired numbers hanging in Cameron of players who didn't get their degree
Davidson has not retired Steph Curry's number yet and does not plan to do so until he gets his degree. And that will not happen until he retires from the NBA I would bet. Davidson does not have summer classes. And they do not deal with distant learning, or at least did not do anything like that until Covid-19 and even those classes allowed a face to face component for students.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:12 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:26 am
College basketball had nothing to do with One and Done - I hate One and Done but that was a situation created by the NBA
Exactly

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:30 am

mike87 wrote:
Can you lead me to some source for the lack of academic integrity at Duke?

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:45 am

bcoach wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:30 am
mike87 wrote:
Just your common sense.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:57 am

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:45 am
bcoach wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Just your common sense.
Is that another term for ‘assumption?” Not trying to start a debate or piss fight.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:31 am

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:45 am
bcoach wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Just your common sense.
In other words it is something you just made up because you don't like Duke. Kind of like the opposite of common sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”