Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC - Coach Williams Translation

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNC - Coach Williams Translation

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:45 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:35 pm
appstate5 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm
Roy plays one offense...run, run, run. He does not change his style to match his players. And that's why he's not that great of a coach. Great coaches use the players strengths they have.
You don’t win as many games and Nattys without being a great coach.
Well in my opinion you are both correct - Roy wins playing one style - explosive point guards and "run, run, run" - I am sure he has but I can't remember UNC winning a game against a good opponent in a half-court slug fest - BUT, you don't win that many games without being a good coach - :)
You can be a great recruiter, a great leader/face of the program, great at preparation and win a lot of games with superior athletes with a system that matches their skills.....and not be a good bench/in-game coach.

Against Duke:

1. They had four straight possessions under the 5 minute mark, where they shot the ball with 13 or more seconds remaining on the shot clock. They scored on one of those four possessions.
2. They never adjusted and took the ball out of Tre Jones' hands during his 15 straight points. Against Florida State, the next game, FSU bodied Jones off the ball and double teamed him at half court with the ball (or didn't allow him to bring it up). Great Coaches always take away the first option.

There were other examples where Roy got lazy coaching. Blowing another 15 point lead against Notre Dame in the final minutes has to be on the coach, in addition to the execution.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:17 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm
Roy plays one offense...run, run, run. He does not change his style to match his players. And that's why he's not that great of a coach. Great coaches use the players strengths they have.
It’s called the secondary break. It has always been Roy’s bread and butter. It’s not that hard to figure out if the opponent gets back on defense quickly. Carolina is always one of the best rebounding teams in the country (including this year) and they always have bigs who run the floor extremely well. They just don’t have the horses this year to knock down the shots consistently, even if they run the break effectively. They almost always have a very tall wing who is really good from deep. This year the tall wing is Leaky Black and he is not a threat from deep.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:51 pm

I stand by my original comment.....OVERRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I like Kerns...He is getting it done. I love seeing plays executed out of timeouts. I love seeing movement without the ball. If we can keep him we are going to keep getting better. I think I am enjoying this APPSTATE Basketball season more than the incredible football season we had.

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:43 am

Did Floyd Williams pass Lean Smith in wins yet?

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 am

Gnomeneer wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:43 am
Did Floyd Williams pass Lean Smith in wins yet?
Roy passed Dean Smith in wins against Miami about three weeks ago.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:55 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:51 pm
I stand by my original comment.....OVERRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I like Kerns...He is getting it done. I love seeing plays executed out of timeouts. I love seeing movement without the ball. If we can keep him we are going to keep getting better. I think I am enjoying this APPSTATE Basketball season more than the incredible football season we had.

Bump...No need to add to it. He is doing it for me.

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:08 am

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:40 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:23 pm
how many players were drafted from their 17 national championship team? 2, I had to look at Wikipedia. I get the unc hate but Roy is a solid coach and I wish App would play more of his style of ball. Passing and plays crate the shot, Not individual skill and the 3 should be relied on sparingly.
Closet UNC fan? Seems like quite a few of them will be here for basketball season.

Sell outs.

Lmao 'closet unc fan'. UNC is legendary in basketball what are you talking about? That's like saying...I wish we followed Nick Satan's methods...'oh are you a closet Bama fan???'

Hilariously moronic post

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:55 am

Tatedc wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:08 am
ericsaid wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:40 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:23 pm
how many players were drafted from their 17 national championship team? 2, I had to look at Wikipedia. I get the unc hate but Roy is a solid coach and I wish App would play more of his style of ball. Passing and plays crate the shot, Not individual skill and the 3 should be relied on sparingly.
Closet UNC fan? Seems like quite a few of them will be here for basketball season.

Sell outs.

Lmao 'closet unc fan'. UNC is legendary in basketball what are you talking about? That's like saying...I wish we followed Nick Satan's methods...'oh are you a closet Bama fan???'

Hilariously moronic post
We tried his coaching methods with the-coach-who-must-not-be-named. We got put on academic probation because of it :lol:
The mountains are calling and I must go

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:14 am

896 wins
3 Nattys
However many final 4s
Everyone has talent beyond Sweet 16.
And yes, recruiting is a significant aspect of coaching in college basketball as you have to have new team every 3 to 4 years.

Nope, he is not a great coach
Last edited by BambooRdApp on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:20 am

Second fiddle in a two county area and it’s not close.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:53 am

UNC: 0 national championships since players had to go to class. In fact, a huge drop off since players had to go to class.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:33 am

Not sure exactly why this thread was resurrected, but I’ll chime in with the most objective point of view I can give for why Roy Williams says the things he does. If you review all the crazy things he has said over the years, I have to conclude that either he does not have the ability to use sarcasm effectively or he just speaks before he thinks. You pick.

Full disclosure, not in anyway a UNC fan. I don’t even want anything in my house that shade of blue for fear of being confused for being a fan.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:40 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:53 am
UNC: 0 national championships since players had to go to class. In fact, a huge drop off since players had to go to class.

I haven't followed UNC or ACC basketball in years, so I don't know if your thoughts are correct or not, but it sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. The Holes haven't been any good for a few years, right?

UNC's field hockey team is two-time defending national champions (so says a sign on 95 at the VA-NC border) and those girls go to class, at least I assume they do. So what is Roy's problem?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:45 pm

I know him and he’s a trip.As in a lot of fun. He can flat dish it out and he can take it. He knows I’ve never rooted for them and laughs about it. But I know all too very well where he came from , which was nothing , and how he got to where he is. He has my respect.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:45 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:53 am

You do realize he won a championship 4 years ago, right?

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:47 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:20 am
Second fiddle in a two county area and it’s not close.
I'm trying to look up High school basketball coaches in that area, but struggling to fine who may be better ...

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 pm

Appstrong wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:33 am
Not sure exactly why this thread was resurrected, but I’ll chime in with the most objective point of view I can give for why Roy Williams says the things he does. If you review all the crazy things he has said over the years, I have to conclude that either he does not have the ability to use sarcasm effectively or he just speaks before he thinks. You pick.

Full disclosure, not in anyway a UNC fan. I don’t even want anything in my house that shade of blue for fear of being confused for being a fan.
I was just bored and had nothing to post. Had just watched UNC get pounded by Virginia and Williams make no adjustments. I really don’t care either way. When he has the best recruits he wins...when he doesn’t he doesn’t. He is a good recruiter but a horrible coach. We have a good coach and I hope recruiter.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:39 am

I just love seeing ol’ Roy crying every March. Some people look to Groundhog Day to determine when the warmer weather is coming. Once I see Roy crying and telling us how much he loves this ‘dadgum’ team and these ‘dadgum’ boys I know spring and summer are right around the corner. :lol: :lol: :lol: Screw the baby blues.

GO APPS!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 am

UNC 2017 National Champs
2017 Draft:
Dook 4 players drafted in top 31
Kentucky 3 players in round 1
UNC 2 players drafted in round 1

Yep, he only wins when he has better talent. No coaching involved..just recruiting I guess
#99ForPresident!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 am

UNC 2017 National Champs
2017 Draft:
Dook 4 players drafted in top 31
Kentucky 3 players in round 1
UNC 2 players drafted in round 1

Yep, he only wins when he has better talent. No coaching involved..just recruiting I guess
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”