Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Pruitt Gone at Tennessee

NavyApp
School: Appalachian State

Pruitt Gone at Tennessee

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:46 pm

Jeremy Pruitt has been fired for cause in response to the NCAA investigation into recruiting at UT. I get that UT has a great fan base and history but it just seems like they go out of their way to screw up the football program. I'm not saying Pruitt should have been retained, I am saying he should have been fired as soon as the clock hit 0:00 against TAMU. So not only are the behind the 8 ball in the hiring process they have an interim HC(Kevin Steele) who just engineered a coup to get Malzhan fired and still couldn't get that job. Yes he is a Vol alumni but there are reasons he hasn't been a HC. The icing on top of the cake is Phil Fulmer is going to make the HC hire(he hasn't done a good job of that yet) then retire "so the new HC and AD can be in alignment". I just can never wrap my head around why they do the things they do.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

T-Dog

Re: Pruitt Gone at Tennessee

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:54 pm

Actual Fulmer is "retiring," so they'll need a new AD and head coach.

Rumors out of Knoxville are that Tennessee is facing Level 1 violations, so whoever comes in will have to weather a big storm.

A Tennessee athletics director and head coaching search at the same time is popcorn material. I do fear they will go after Gillin.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:06 pm

Good lord if you are gonna pay guys to come there at least do better than .500. They can’t even cheat right.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:07 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:54 pm

Rumors out of Knoxville are that Tennessee is facing Level 1 violations, so whoever comes in will have to weather a big storm.

A Tennessee athletics director and head coaching search at the same time is popcorn material. I do fear they will go after Gillin.
Gillin (or any other AD worth their salt) would be an idiot to go to UT with what they're facing. Their fanbase will likely demand someone with ties to the school, anyway.

At some point, some P5 school will come calling and we won't be able to retain DG. I understand this and accept it. Just hope it isn't for another couple of years.
Give 'em hell!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:10 pm

T-Dog wrote:

I hope you are right and Fulmer just retires, but after listening to him and reading some "reports" it sounds like he will make the hire then retire at the end of the semester which to me is asinine. I also saw a list of names UT may go after for the AD position and two caught my eye: Cobb and Gilbert(ECU) with no mention of Gillin which is a ok by me.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:12 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:07 pm
T-Dog wrote:

Gillin (or any other AD worth their salt) would be an idiot to go to UT with what they're facing. Their fanbase will likely demand someone with ties to the school, anyway.

At some point, some P5 school will come calling and we won't be able to retain DG. I understand this and accept it. Just hope it isn't for another couple of years.
Their fanbase has been screaming Hugh Freeze for a while now, which is funny now that they are facing those level 1 infractions.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:22 pm

T-Dog wrote:

I see it has now been cleared up and you are correct. You know it is UT so they could have very well let Fulmer shoot one last shot. But alas Peyton Manning will have his fingerprints on the hire instead.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:43 pm

Steele is the interim HC and was in the running when Pruitt got it. He has deep UT roots so he may get the nod. Thats what I've read.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:32 pm

If you want to understand the UT Football debacle, you need to read up on the Haslam family's influence:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tenne ... ite-coach/

It's also a reason DG or any other AD would have the think very hard about taking a position in Knoxville.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:14 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:12 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Their fanbase has been screaming Hugh Freeze for a while now, which is funny now that they are facing those level 1 infractions.
You should try living here. I’ll put their fan’s delusion up against anyone’s

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:20 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:14 pm
NavyApp wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Every fan base is delusional. The only team that can say they maybe lived up to their fan base is Bama.....and they probably do not because they do not win every year.lol
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:20 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:20 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Every fan base is delusional. The only team that can say they maybe lived up to their fan base is Bama.....and they probably do not because they do not win every year.lol
After years of being delusional, I would think that Clemson is at least neutral right now.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:23 am

According to ESPN, our friend "Go for 2" might be getting a phone call.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:36 am

appstate77 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:23 am
According to ESPN, our friend "Go for 2" might be getting a phone call.
Tough gig to take for head coach. If you do have level 1 infractions, tough on recruiting and building a solid program. Once you are out of NCAA jail, you are not the new name and the excitement is gone. Although a risk, I believe the AD position is the better of these two roles when forthcoming probation. If work through the issues and get off probation, you can look good (see Bubba Cunningham at UNC). For a coach, fans still want to win. Tough gig unless you are going to get a whopping huge contract.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

GastonApp09

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:35 pm

Napier fits what they need...but Chadwell would be the "sexier" of the 2 if UT wants one of them. I think Gus Malzahn gets a long look though.
Body stuck in Gaston County...heart stuck in Boone! Go Apps!

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:37 pm

Chadwell went to ETSU and cut his teeth in Tenn. I would think that he would get a closer look than Napier.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:09 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:20 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

I disagree. There are plenty of fan bases that want success but understand where they fit into the overall landscape. Tennessee’s fans expect to be in par with Bama but have no logical reason to believe that. 1998 was a long time ago. The pressure cooker here for a head coach is nuts. And I don’t know why any up and coming coach would want they job. And if Pruitt would have gone 9-3 this year these “infractions” would be ignored.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:31 pm

Tennessee has already decided to hire UCF's Danny White as its new AD, which is an excellent move. The UCF job, in turn, is one I worry about in regards to Gillin. That's one of the best non-P5 jobs in the country.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:25 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:31 pm
Tennessee has already decided to hire UCF's Danny White as its new AD, which is an excellent move. The UCF job, in turn, is one I worry about in regards to Gillin. That's one of the best non-P5 jobs in the country.
Losing Danny White is a big blow for us. While our fan base was down about losing Frost, the key was the architect of our athletic department's recent surge.

But this comes with the territory of being a G5. Even a competitive one. Curious to see who we attract as candidates. Your AD definitely deserves a look. Though I wonder if the budget crunching across the country will make us go cheaper by either going for an assistant AD, maybe even an internal candidate.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:53 am

citroknight wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:25 am
T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:31 pm
Losing Danny White is a big blow for us. While our fan base was down about losing Frost, the key was the architect of our athletic department's recent surge.

But this comes with the territory of being a G5. Even a competitive one. Curious to see who we attract as candidates. Your AD definitely deserves a look. Though I wonder if the budget crunching across the country will make us go cheaper by either going for an assistant AD, maybe even an internal candidate.
I wonder if White tries to bring Heupel with him. I know their fans think they deserve the second coming but the honest assessment is the HC job is not a desirable one at the moment. This will definitely be an interesting soap opera to watch.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”