Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New Black and Gold daughter

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

New Black and Gold daughter

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:54 pm

I am moving a daughter into a new apartment for grad school. She now has me wearing black and gold for the second of three daughters.......

however she is a VCU Ram.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

hapapp

Re: New Black and Gold daughter

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:57 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:54 pm
I am moving a daughter into a new apartment for grad school. She now has me wearing black and gold for the second of three daughters.......

however she is a VCU Ram.
I have fond thoughts about VCU as I met my wife there in grad school.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:24 pm

She is never too old to learn...

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:02 pm

My daughter is just about to wrap up her second year at VCU. It’s definitely not Boone, but she’s getting one hell of an experience.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:54 am

My wife is a VCU graduate. So are most of the people I know here in RVA. It certainly isn't Boone, but it isn't too bad.

If she is in the medical/dental school - it's first rate. We take our youngest down there for some serious dental issues she is dealing with quite regularly. But I'm not familiar with any of their other graduate programs.

Congrates.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 am

My VCU daughter is getting her Masters in Social Work.

She went to a magnet middle school without sports so no football there. She did spend 9th and 10th grade at the school I was teaching at then so we had some football. Then she was off to the NC School of Science and Math in Durham with some 2A level athletics but no football. Undergrad was at Meredith and no football there. Now on to VCU and no football.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:35 pm

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 am

She went to a magnet middle school without sports so no football there. She did spend 9th and 10th grade at the school I was teaching at then so we had some football. Then she was off to the NC School of Science and Math in Durham with some 2A level athletics but no football. Undergrad was at Meredith and no football there. Now on to VCU and no football.
There are a lot of booster that want football at VCU but a lot more that think it will cut into their basketball bread and butter. Their chancellor once said "football would come to VCU over [his] dead body."

I see a lot of t-shirts around Richmond that say "VCU football: still undefeated". I like to joke to me VCU alum friends that it would be more accurate to say "VCU football: still winless". The school claims to have never had a football team even though I once saw a Randolph-Macon football historical record book that claimed a 2-0 record all time against "Medical College of Virginia" (MCV is one of VCU's predecessor school). Not sure the history there?

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:09 pm

Congratulations my Daughter starts in August. Yosef membership in hand season ticket being bought next week!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:40 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:35 pm

There are a lot of booster that want football at VCU but a lot more that think it will cut into their basketball bread and butter. Their chancellor once said "football would come to VCU over [his] dead body."

I see a lot of t-shirts around Richmond that say "VCU football: still undefeated". I like to joke to me VCU alum friends that it would be more accurate to say "VCU football: still winless". The school claims to have never had a football team even though I once saw a Randolph-Macon football historical record book that claimed a 2-0 record all time against "Medical College of Virginia" (MCV is one of VCU's predecessor school). Not sure the history there?
VCU essentially evolved out of the merger of MCV and the old Richmond Professional Institute. The merger resulted in VCU in the mid 1960s.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:05 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:40 pm
AppfaninCAALand wrote:

VCU essentially evolved out of the merger of MCV and the old Richmond Professional Institute. The merger resulted in VCU in the mid 1960s.
MCV evolved out of the Hampden-Sydney College School of Medicine, which dates back to before the civil war. I don't know when that game took place, but it might have been before MCV moved to Richmond.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:48 pm

There is a good article of Wikipedia about VCU. I think
- Sydney started the med schol in 1838 or so and it was eventually taken over by the state and then merged with then RPI to make the modern VCU. The date on the VCU logo is the founding of the med school by H-S

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:48 pm

There is a good article of Wikipedia about VCU. I think Hamden- Sydney started the med schol in 1838 or so and it was eventually taken over by the state and then merged with then RPI to make the modern VCU. The date on the VCU logo is the founding of the med school by H-S

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:58 pm

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:48 pm
There is a good article of Wikipedia about VCU. I think Hamden- Sydney started the med schol in 1838 or so and it was eventually taken over by the state and then merged with then RPI to make the modern VCU. The date on the VCU logo is the founding of the med school by H-S
Interesting. I was going off memory. I'm surprised I was that close.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:59 am

I'm originally from the Richmond area and remember when VCU was created. The old RPI had a basketball program. I believe they were called the Green Devils.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:16 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:

With 31k students football could work at VCU.

At school of Science and Math the students had shirts mentioning their football being undefeated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”