Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

1st Roy....

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

1st Roy....

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:52 pm

Now Coach K is retiring....
Love em or hate em they were good.

appdaze

Re: 1st Roy....

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:20 pm

Hopefully calipari(62), izzo(66) , and boehiem(76) join them soon. I've loved watching the high level of play and coaching but it's time for the new blood to step up. The ACC and powerhouses have a ton of ooooold coaches like 65+. It's rare that we see innovation like what shaka smart brought in at VCU because of the stagnant state of college coaching. Even when one gets fired they are hired multiple times over. Tubby smith for example... How many more stops is he going to take? He's down the road at High Point University of you didn't know already.

Anyway loved watching these guys coach but the next 10 ish years are going to be interesting to watch as all these guys finally age out and hang them up.

AppGrad1

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:24 pm

They were about to retire anyway but the landscape of college basketball went ahead and forced them out.
I pity the new coaches coming in.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:36 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:52 pm
Now Coach K is retiring....
Love em or hate em they were good.
Yep college and the world are changing and I think they both see the writing on the wall. Hard to keep up.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:54 pm

Screw ‘em!

Here’s hoping the Tar Holes and the Dookies spend the next decade in the dumps along with Weak and the Wolfpack.

GO APPS!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:31 am

Two architects of the demise of college basketball as an amateur sport. They will be heralded as 'they found a way to win', but what they founded was the 'one and done's' and taking student out of student athlete. I'm in 24's camp.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:26 am

College basketball had nothing to do with One and Done - I hate One and Done but that was a situation created by the NBA
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:27 am

College basketball had nothing to do with One and Done - I hate One and Done but that was a situation created by the NBA
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:29 am

There was a period of time that Coach K refused to bring in a recruit who wouldn't stay 3 years and I don't think Roy ever bought into it - they both did it to win which is what they were paid to do
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:09 am

appstate24 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:54 pm
Screw ‘em!

Here’s hoping the Tar Holes and the Dookies spend the next decade in the dumps along with Weak and the Wolfpack.

GO APPS!!
this x10000000000000. Except i'll take it for the rest of my natural life rather than a decade, The holes and the dooks have helped perpetuate a system that has made a farce of amateur athletics, and unfortunately they will never get their comeuppance.

Hopefully this will provide an opportunity for App basketball to shine a little brighter. Maybe even bring back a few of our wayward alumni that hold onto whatever awful shade of blue they liked growing up to support their school instead.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 am

appstate24 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:54 pm
Screw ‘em!

GO APPS!!
Make that century instead of decade please.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:16 am

Every coach in the country would have embraced one and done if they could have recruited that level of talent. The coaches didn't make the rules. Don't let your hatred get in the way of the facts.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:20 am

So you guys are trying to tell us you would have hated App basketball if they had taken Zion or any other player who they knew would only stay one year???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:21 am

I’m pretty sure App fans wouldn’t squeal if, say, Dustin brought in four recruits who elevated the program to national prominence and moved on to the NBA after only one year. We can say we don’t like the “system” but we’re being hypocritical if we say we wouldn’t take advantage of it if we could.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:35 am

mike87 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:31 am
Two architects of the demise of college basketball as an amateur sport. They will be heralded as 'they found a way to win', but what they founded was the 'one and done's' and taking student out of student athlete. I'm in 24's camp.
Actually, David Stern and the NBA created the one and done and it changed college basketball. Say what you will about any coaches but they had absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact, they probably hated it. But they played the cards they were dealt pretty well.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:50 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:20 am
So you guys are trying to tell us you would have hated App basketball if they had taken Zion or any other player who they knew would only stay one year???
well yes, what the Holes did was far, far worse. Frankly I consider payments/financial considerations to athletes small potatoes when opposed with defrauding them of an education in exchange for their unpaid labor.

As to the one and dones, I think we all know there were additional, tangible considerations given to the top recruits that made their way to Durham. Its just a terribly broken system, and realizing we would excuse it if App participated is cold comfort.

We simply need an alternative method to professional sports for young football/basketball players who have no interest in college and are good enough to make money on it.

Yes, college athletics would suffer from a competition standpoint, but the NCAA could go back to fulfilling its actual mission and there could again be integrity in the game(s) from top to bottom.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:18 am

College basketball has suffered for sometime - the quality of play is so diminished from years past - BUT, this isn't the fault of the colleges - the NBA set this crap up - I agree that there should be viable options for those basketball players who don't want to go the college route - I have always highly supported the baseball structure - every high school graduate is eligible to be drafted and have the option of minor league baseball, however if a kid signs to go to college he is then ineligible to be drafted again until he is three years removed from high school and/or turns 21.
The NBA doesn't want that - they want the future pros to spend at least a year with the best coaches in the world - K, Roy, and so, so many others that really teach the game - college basketball is the minor-leagues for the NBA - why would they want to change?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:46 am

I agree with the statement above that, there should be an alternate path for young athletes to make the pros. Other than baseball, the major sports all use the NCAA as their de-facto minor league. I'm sure it would impact the level of competition to some degree, but it would primarily impact the blue chips who are recruiting the 4 and 5 star players. It would be great to see college sports return to focusing on student athletes. It wouldn't impact my love for the college game a bit. If anything, it would increase it!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:53 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:18 am
College basketball has suffered for sometime - the quality of play is so diminished from years past - BUT, this isn't the fault of the colleges - the NBA set this crap up - I agree that there should be viable options for those basketball players who don't want to go the college route - I have always highly supported the baseball structure - every high school graduate is eligible to be drafted and have the option of minor league baseball, however if a kid signs to go to college he is then ineligible to be drafted again until he is three years removed from high school and/or turns 21.
The NBA doesn't want that - they want the future pros to spend at least a year with the best coaches in the world - K, Roy, and so, so many others that really teach the game - college basketball is the minor-leagues for the NBA - why would they want to change?
Agree 100%. I have said the same thing over past decade on wishing basketball following the baseball process.

As it relates to App St. basketball. Yes, I would trade places with Gonzaga any day of the week to have their elite program....Few is a great coach. He working the system just like UNC and Duke...it is what it is in D1 elite basketball in college.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:55 pm

Look at Ja Morant at Murray St. He elevated that program and put them on a national stage. I would take that in a heartbeat at App. Not that he was a highly heralded recruit coming out of HS (somehow), but It would be cool if a couple top 20 recruits would decide to commit to a mid-major school and take over that conference and put it in a national spotlight instead of one of the 3-5 schools everyone knows of. It could happen, its all about relationships and Kerns could be that guy. Here's hoping...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”