Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC players don't favor a 12-team playoff

WVAPPeer
School: Other

UNC players don't favor a 12-team playoff

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:35 pm

Pardon my French - but - Who gives a shit!!!

When you haven't even won a Conference Championship in 41 years :roll: - what a joke!!!

Maybe they are hoping it will go to 64 teams :o

I personally think they are overrated again this season -
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... mack-brown
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Appstate88
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNC players don't favor a 12-team playoff

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:39 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:35 pm

When you haven't even won a Conference Championship in 41 years :roll: - what a joke!!!

Evening WVAPeer,
Just one question. Since you don’t care, why post it here?
Thanks.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:55 pm

More games could possibly put a strain on all those no-show classes.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Well the thread is called "Other School's Athletics" ---
This is a HEADLINE story on ESPN.com that's why - what about the other programs out there who have actually come close to making the Final 4 or feel their conference is short-changed by only having 4 teams? Why UNC gets a headline article on this when it has been 41 years since they even won a conference championship? - That's why -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:19 pm

whether it is UNC, USC (Carolina, not Trojans), Ole Miss, Colorado St. etc....all teams should provide feedback...in this case, it appears that the majority of the UNC team (per Mack and the article anyway) is that they do not favor that many teams in the playoff..which would seem to be counter to what you would think a team that has not won a conference championship in whatever many years would want. You would think they would want more teams having opportunity given their futility in not winning....Take out the team, I am in agreement in that I hope the expansion does not go greater than 8 teams....otherwise devalues regular season to a certain extent..

On why UNC gets the ESPN front page...the only reason is that Mack had a role on ESPN football broadcast for 5/6 years. Whether you like him or not as a coach...he knows how to recruit and advertise....
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:22 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:00 pm
Well the thread is called "Other School's Athletics" ---
This is a HEADLINE story on ESPN.com that's why - what about the other programs out there who have actually come close to making the Final 4 or feel their conference is short-changed by only having 4 teams? Why UNC gets a headline article on this when it has been 41 years since they even won a conference championship? - That's why -
Understand. The answer is Mack Brown,
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:06 am

I’m sure that 99% of all college football players do love playing the game and a great majority really appreciate the free education. I’m also pretty sure that most hardcore fans would love to see a virtually endless season. Most also want to see expanded playoffs especially those who follow schools that could slide in if 12 or more schools get a bid. There might also be players at some schools who don’t mind practicing and playing for days, weeks and months on end but in reality I’m willing to bet that most of these guys get tired of it and really don’t care about the idea of playing 13,14,15 or possibly more games.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:35 am

I have to disagree with you on this - If a player, coach, team don't have an ultimate goal of playing for the conference championship or playoff possibility or bowl games then why are they there??? - Of course, every team will not reach that goal but isn't that what they play for? - Back in 2005, 2006 and 2007 our guys were playing 15 games a season and I honestly don't remember one person complaining ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:06 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:35 am
I have to disagree with you on this - If a player, coach, team don't have an ultimate goal of playing for the conference championship or playoff possibility or bowl games then why are they there??? - Of course, every team will not reach that goal but isn't that what they play for? - Back in 2005, 2006 and 2007 our guys were playing 15 games a season and I honestly don't remember one person complaining ---
I’m only really talking about the top level guys on the top level teams- mainly the ones with pro aspirations. We already have several players who opt out of bowl games. In that article I read at least one guy who voiced concerns about getting injured due to excessive games. I really just threw that out as a possibility not my absolute theory. I would certainly hope that every college football player aspires to win it all and loves every minute.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:16 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:35 pm

I don't know why they care about how long the season is, its not like they have to worry about class or anything.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:21 am

Got it - the opting out like a couple of tarhole players did last year is a real problem in today's post-season - however, I don't know of any player who opted out if they were in the Final 4 - I doubt they would opt out if they were in the Final 12 - The bowl games just don't have the gravitas they once held and it will not get better unless the bowls are a part of the playoff system. I know they are now but I am talking an extended version.
The minor bowl games are a joke now and won't get better until they throw away all of these prearranged match-ups and try to match good teams regardless of conference - Do I see this happening??? - No --- We will have at accept playing a mediocre G5 team in a minor bowl even if we are 12-1 (or make the 12 team playoff) - I know many on here are fine with this and I do understand getting to go to a destination city in Dec/Jan is a bonus for the players and many fans - We can't travel anymore so I would just like to see APP get to play quality opponents in bowl games ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 am

I sort of compare this with many pro athletes who leave a really good team, some after either a championship or nice playoff run to go to a crappy team simply for more money. Can’t really blame them but when that happens it’s obvious that they really don’t care about winning. I’m also convinced that many really highly paid NFL players don’t necessarily care about the playoffs especially after OTA’s, training camp and 17 weeks of games and practices. If a guy is making, say $15m per year how much extra does he make for 3 or more games (plus the added practice)?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:32 am

And just below this thread under “similar topics”, is a thread titled “Mack Brown calls for playoff expansion due to opt outs.”

From seven short months ago…
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20337

Which one is it, Mack?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:56 am

Mack is a salesman - not a coach
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:59 am

I definitely have been one to support expanding beyond the 4 teams as that does clearly excludes numerous teams from a playoff regardless of their performance. The difference for me between FBS and FCS regarding the overall number of teams, FCS doesn't have conference championship games like all FBS conferences. To me the conference championship game serves as a fair weeding out process for most teams. The regular season means something to get you to the conference championship game and then that game serves to further cull the field.

Based on this theory, they need to use some format to get the "best" conference champions into the playoff while giving some room for quality teams that didn't (i.e. SEC or B1G non-conference winners whose resume deserves credit). No doubt a SEC or B1G schedule is more demanding than G5 conferences. But I also think if you run table OR even come close on a G5 you probably deserve a shot. G5s need a path to playoffs, that should be table stakes.

The above is why I think 8 or 12 with some way for 1-2 G5 champions to get a seat was the fairest approach. But the G5s need to have a viable route to playoff or it doesn't work.

Four is not enough but going above 12, IMO is too much on players. That is reaching a threshold for sure at that point.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:45 am

Not a UNC fan but ain’t nuttin wrong with Mack Brown.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:49 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:56 am
Mack is a salesman - not a coach
Well that salesman has certainly turned a dismal UNC team around in a very short time, not to mention his first run at UNC and his time at Texas and, oh yeah, that natty that he won. Not sure what your definition of a coach is (I know you coached in high school) but usually if someone can win a national title on any level I consider them to be a good coach, do it at the top level of the sport and I say you're a great coach. Mack meets that definition in my book, and I don't give two craps about the tarholes.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:19 pm

I hope our players didn’t come just to play?!? I hope ours came to win and you can’t win if you don’t play!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm

They know having more spots and allowing G5 (potentially) would possibly take a spot away from them. They think being a P5 gives them an edge to getting in the playoff currently and expanding it may hurt them

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:32 pm

How does having more spots hurt any team.? .this is a statistical anomaly that I do not comprehend....must be the "new math"
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”