• Birthdays

SEC and "vaccination motivation"

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 2747 times
Been thanked: 1378 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:34 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 am
I’m looking to find common ground. Sounds like we can agree at a certain age the risk of disease doesn’t warrant a vaccine. Where we differ is where is that cut off.

People under 25 without pre-existing conditions are very low risk. I think we can agree there as well.

Some believe in and consistently apply a risk based approach to the vaccine. I’ve applied that for my personal situation.
As low risk as the virus may (or may not be) do you agree that getting the vaccine is orders of magnitude even lower-risk than the virus itself, even for those that are young and have no pre-exisiting conditions?

Personally I see no reason why anyone older than 12 would not be getting this shot, unless there is some sort of medical condition, and that those conditions are rather rare.

I would prefer to not get the J&J shot and glad that was not an option for me at the time. But that is as much a about a slightly lower efficacy as it is a very slight increase in problems from this specific shot.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Yosef10
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 595 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:46 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 am
I’m looking to find common ground. Sounds like we can agree at a certain age the risk of disease doesn’t warrant a vaccine. Where we differ is where is that cut off.

People under 25 without pre-existing conditions are very low risk. I think we can agree there as well.

Some believe in and consistently apply a risk based approach to the vaccine. I’ve applied that for my personal situation.
Also, stop with the “under 25” bullshit. https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/georgi ... PL54ATHMU/

You wouldn’t post s that BS if this happened to your 5 year old, willing to bet everything I got on that. The disinformation a large segment of y’all have been fed and seemingly ate every bite of is very sad. Very sad state of affairs for America and it’s future.



Saint3333
Posts: 10830
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1536 times
Been thanked: 2183 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:48 am

How can someone fully vaccinated be anti-vax?

Personal “feelings” are based upon a risk based model vs a black and white take that everyone should be vaccinated. Where your personal feelings are perhaps even more flawed and display inconsistencies.

I understand some of you aren’t interested in finding common ground and can only deal in absolutes. Unfortunately that in pervasive on many subjects.



diehardapp18
Posts: 629
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:51 am

hAPPy4APP wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:19 pm
diehardapp18 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:59 pm
Michael Irving said if best: if you don’t get vaccinated you don’t want to win bad enough. It’s that simple.
Thats an absurd statement and its not that simple. NOONE should be threatened or coerced into getting a vaccine. Its a personal choice about a vaccine that still has many questionmarks. If I had son I would encourage him to leave the university before getting the vaccine under duress.
Getting the vaccine is not a civic duty. Its a personal decision to make up ones own mind ot be one of the sheep. Some things are bigger than football. Forced vaccination is one of them.
I understand that almost all of our players could catch COVID and they'd probably be fine within a few days, which might make the vaccine seem pointless. I'm not saying it's fair or not, but the NCAA has clearly laid out the guidelines. If we are serious about reclaiming our throne as Sun Belt champions this year, our players should all be getting vaccinated. Again, I'm not saying this is fair or not but it is the reality of the situation.

I will say, if we are forced to miss a game or postpone a game because of some positive cases I don't want to hear anyone talk about how unfair it is. The NCAA has clearly laid out what it's going to be like, and we don't have the power to change that. The vaccine is absolutely harmless, I had a sore arm for about 24 hours for both doses and that was it. I can now live my life freely without any setbacks and without the concern that I will endanger a loved one. Even though I'm pretty young and in really good health.

We are playing a dangerous game by not getting vaccinations, one that could absolutely jeopardize our season. I just hope the players are aware of this. The NC State incident should have been a huge warning sign for all of our players.



Saint3333
Posts: 10830
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1536 times
Been thanked: 2183 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:51 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:46 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 am
I’m looking to find common ground. Sounds like we can agree at a certain age the risk of disease doesn’t warrant a vaccine. Where we differ is where is that cut off.

People under 25 without pre-existing conditions are very low risk. I think we can agree there as well.

Some believe in and consistently apply a risk based approach to the vaccine. I’ve applied that for my personal situation.
Also, stop with the “under 25” bullshit. https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/georgi ... PL54ATHMU/

You wouldn’t post s that BS if this happened to your 5 year old, willing to bet everything I got on that. The disinformation a large segment of y’all have been fed and seemingly ate every bite of is very sad. Very sad state of affairs for America and it’s future.
This isn’t BS, I have two children and they will not be getting the vaccine until more data is available. Currently the data overwhelmingly states they aren’t at risk. That plus all their loved ones are vaccinated goes into our decision based on their individual risk profiles.



User avatar
VNova
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by VNova » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:53 am

I'm just going to leave this here: https://www.niaid.nih.gov/diseases-cond ... aq#general


For the topic at hand, I'm skeptical they'd do this for a high profile game. They'd do this for UK vs Vanderbilt, but not the Iron Bowl. If it's another motivation to prevent the spread, then great, but this is really just a threat for some.



User avatar
JTApps1
Posts: 2123
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:18 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lake Wylie
Has thanked: 368 times
Been thanked: 614 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:08 am

Yesterday I read an article stating that an estimated 65,000 fully vaccinated people have been infected with over 10,000 being hospitalize so the idea that having a fully vaccinated team will eliminate roster attrition is false. The risk is certainly lower if vaccinated, but nobody should be shamed if they haven't received the vaccine yet. Some people, including athletes, have legitimate reasons for not getting the shot.


When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

yosef69
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 391 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:22 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:08 am
Yesterday I read an article stating that an estimated 65,000 fully vaccinated people have been infected with over 10,000 being hospitalize so the idea that having a fully vaccinated team will eliminate roster attrition is false. The risk is certainly lower if vaccinated, but nobody should be shamed if they haven't received the vaccine yet. Some people, including athletes, have legitimate reasons for not getting the shot.
I’d love to read this “article.”



yosef69
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 391 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:24 am

Sorry, but if a player does not get the vaccine, they’re being selfish.

There’s a reason bama is 90 percent vaccinated. They want to win.



BayouApp
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by BayouApp » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 am
I’m looking to find common ground. Sounds like we can agree at a certain age the risk of disease doesn’t warrant a vaccine. Where we differ is where is that cut off.

People under 25 without pre-existing conditions are very low risk. I think we can agree there as well.

Some believe in and consistently apply a risk based approach to the vaccine. I’ve applied that for my personal situation.
Low risk for those under 25, but not no risk, especially with the Delta variant:
https://heavy.com/news/olivia-guidry/



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 2747 times
Been thanked: 1378 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:08 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:48 am
How can someone fully vaccinated be anti-vax?



I understand some of you aren’t interested in finding common ground and can only deal in absolutes. Unfortunately that in pervasive on many subjects.
I feel no need to find common ground on something that kills and causes long lasting effects in others when we have a solution that is so much safer than the disease. I know there needed to be a pecking order at first to get the vaccine as demand exceeded supply but with the number of doses given of the various vaccines developed in the west At this point supply is ahead of demand and its past time for people that were waiting to get the vaccine.

And thanks for being fully vaccinated as it sound like you are.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

acp
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:27 pm
School: Appalachian State

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by acp » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:34 pm

Commissioner Jim Phillips said this morning that half of the ACC schools have hit the 85% vaccination threshold.



Saint3333
Posts: 10830
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1536 times
Been thanked: 2183 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:08 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:48 am
How can someone fully vaccinated be anti-vax?



I understand some of you aren’t interested in finding common ground and can only deal in absolutes. Unfortunately that in pervasive on many subjects.
I feel no need to find common ground on something that kills and causes long lasting effects in others when we have a solution that is so much safer than the disease. I know there needed to be a pecking order at first to get the vaccine as demand exceeded supply but with the number of doses given of the various vaccines developed in the west At this point supply is ahead of demand and its past time for people that were waiting to get the vaccine.

And thanks for being fully vaccinated as it sound like you are.
But we have the solution for those at risk and are using it.

Should everyone be vaccinated for all risk of every disease?



Saint3333
Posts: 10830
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1536 times
Been thanked: 2183 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:02 pm

BayouApp wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 am
I’m looking to find common ground. Sounds like we can agree at a certain age the risk of disease doesn’t warrant a vaccine. Where we differ is where is that cut off.

People under 25 without pre-existing conditions are very low risk. I think we can agree there as well.

Some believe in and consistently apply a risk based approach to the vaccine. I’ve applied that for my personal situation.
Low risk for those under 25, but not no risk, especially with the Delta variant:
https://heavy.com/news/olivia-guidry/
Which is why I said very low risk not “no risk”…

Don’t try and spin the words and point to one case. You can do that for every risk in life.



yosef69
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 391 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:04 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:02 pm
BayouApp wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 am
I’m looking to find common ground. Sounds like we can agree at a certain age the risk of disease doesn’t warrant a vaccine. Where we differ is where is that cut off.

People under 25 without pre-existing conditions are very low risk. I think we can agree there as well.

Some believe in and consistently apply a risk based approach to the vaccine. I’ve applied that for my personal situation.
Low risk for those under 25, but not no risk, especially with the Delta variant:
https://heavy.com/news/olivia-guidry/
Which is why I said very low risk not “no risk”…

Don’t try and spin the words and point to one case. You can do that for every risk in life.
Your kids have an infinitely higher risk of dying from driving in a car compared to getting the vaccine. Do you stop them from driving? No spin there. Just facts.



yosef69
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 391 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:05 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:08 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:48 am
How can someone fully vaccinated be anti-vax?



I understand some of you aren’t interested in finding common ground and can only deal in absolutes. Unfortunately that in pervasive on many subjects.
I feel no need to find common ground on something that kills and causes long lasting effects in others when we have a solution that is so much safer than the disease. I know there needed to be a pecking order at first to get the vaccine as demand exceeded supply but with the number of doses given of the various vaccines developed in the west At this point supply is ahead of demand and its past time for people that were waiting to get the vaccine.

And thanks for being fully vaccinated as it sound like you are.
But we have the solution for those at risk and are using it.

Should everyone be vaccinated for all risk of every disease?
Have you seen the sheet of required vaccinations for college? Yes, if there is an available and safe vaccine, you should take it.



User avatar
APPdiesel
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 401 times
Been thanked: 771 times
Contact:

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:33 pm

The man who killed books just flew into space on a rocket shaped like a d**k.


"Sports talk's most decent producer" on ESPN Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Saint3333
Posts: 10830
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1536 times
Been thanked: 2183 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:34 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:04 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:02 pm
BayouApp wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 am
I’m looking to find common ground. Sounds like we can agree at a certain age the risk of disease doesn’t warrant a vaccine. Where we differ is where is that cut off.

People under 25 without pre-existing conditions are very low risk. I think we can agree there as well.

Some believe in and consistently apply a risk based approach to the vaccine. I’ve applied that for my personal situation.
Low risk for those under 25, but not no risk, especially with the Delta variant:
https://heavy.com/news/olivia-guidry/
Which is why I said very low risk not “no risk”…

Don’t try and spin the words and point to one case. You can do that for every risk in life.
Your kids have an infinitely higher risk of dying from driving in a car compared to getting the vaccine. Do you stop them from driving? No spin there. Just facts.
Completely agree.

They take precautions like wearing a seatbelt and no texting while driving.

We view the unknown risk of the vaccine in children as greater than the risk of the disease itself.

You may recall the unknown risk of covid in the early stages of the initial outbreak was a reason to be cautious. Why can’t I use that stance now?



Saint3333
Posts: 10830
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 1536 times
Been thanked: 2183 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:39 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:05 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:08 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:48 am
How can someone fully vaccinated be anti-vax?



I understand some of you aren’t interested in finding common ground and can only deal in absolutes. Unfortunately that in pervasive on many subjects.
I feel no need to find common ground on something that kills and causes long lasting effects in others when we have a solution that is so much safer than the disease. I know there needed to be a pecking order at first to get the vaccine as demand exceeded supply but with the number of doses given of the various vaccines developed in the west At this point supply is ahead of demand and its past time for people that were waiting to get the vaccine.

And thanks for being fully vaccinated as it sound like you are.
But we have the solution for those at risk and are using it.

Should everyone be vaccinated for all risk of every disease?
Have you seen the sheet of required vaccinations for college? Yes, if there is an available and safe vaccine, you should take it.
Yes, lots of work and years went into those before they were required. How much data was available for those vaccines before they were required? Where the risks for those more uniform for all ages?

Risk based analysis for those under 25. This isn’t a one size fits all.



User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 4843
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 542 times
Been thanked: 1895 times

Re: SEC and "vaccination motivation"

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:00 pm

So...again, App State football players are 18-24 years old. They're not children. The massive pile of positive vaccine data incorporates their age group into its findings. And this thread/message board relates to Appalachian Football. It's pretty transparent from the above "what aboutism" regarding young children from anti-vaxers that you people will use any and every platform to grind this axe against modern medicine. And yes, you can be a vaccinated "anti-vaxxer" by contributing to Truth Decay and spreading misinformation after your shots. In a way that might even be worse.

There is a very straight forward, unequivocal medical recommendation for anyone 18-24 and that's "get a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine." I don't suspect that a D-1 athlete would be immunocompromised, so yes, any player who would refuse vaccine is doing something stupid. Aside for their own potential Covid-19 complications and the duty, yes the civic duty, they have as able Americans to not mooch off the relative safety provided by others, they now have the ability to completely eliminate the risk of having their season derailed by Covid-19 for a second year in a row. It would be an utterly selfish gesture, and one that would signal that their membership in a veritable cult outranked their membership on this football team.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 69 users online :: 2 registered, 1 hidden and 66 guests

    Most users ever online was 1927 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:27 am

    Users browsing this forum: App_in_Maiden, ASU3432Mi and 66 guests