Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Peterson’s Debut as Illinois OC

Appsolutely

Peterson’s Debut as Illinois OC

Unread post by Appsolutely » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:56 am

Nebraska vs. Illinois
1:00 on Fox
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

Appstate88
School: Appalachian State

Re: Peterson’s Debut as Illinois OC

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:21 pm

He looks weak so far.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:55 pm

Both of these teams look terrible.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 pm

I’d say defense and special teams won the game for Illinois, not their offense.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:11 pm

Same Ole same ole. Hope the Illinois fans enjoy it today, because the day is coming when they realize that is how he will call games whether they have a 30 point lead or are down 14. Like appstate24 said both of those teams were horrible today, that was an affront to modern football.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:20 pm

Still pretty crazy to see this version of Nebraska as a program. A little over 20 years ago they and Michigan shared a National Championship.

I don’t think Michigan is in as bad of shape as Nebraska, but there are some striking similarities.

Personally I don’t think you’ll ever see the Nebraska of the 20th century again. The Midwest is no longer the recruiting ground it once was, especially in the modern era of speed oriented college football. And let’s face it, not too many 18 year olds are clamoring to make their way to Lincoln.
YNWA

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:53 pm

I would take an NIL deal with John Deere in Lincoln
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

APPChad90

Unread post by APPChad90 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:28 pm

It doesn’t help the Nebraska cause either since Drink has done a good job of getting the top kids from St. Louis and Kansas City areas which Nebraska use to have a strong hold on. Texas schools also get kids from these markets but Drink is having success closing the borders on the talent.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:32 pm

The Nebraska job will be open again at the end of the season....if not sooner.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:17 pm

Frost took a nice payday to make that move but his career will suffer for it. Some coaches are great at certain levels and his peak was UCF. Being at an "underdog" school he did a good job recruiting and had a system that worked against the teams they played.

Reminds me of Shaka Smart going from VCU to Texas. Another great underdog coach who didn't have the right system and couldn't get the right recruits to put it together (.477 conf win%) and now he's back in the north east at Marquette where I suspect he will get back on track to some degree.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:07 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:17 pm
Frost took a nice payday to make that move but his career will suffer for it. Some coaches are great at certain levels and his peak was UCF. Being at an "underdog" school he did a good job recruiting and had a system that worked against the teams they played.

Reminds me of Shaka Smart going from VCU to Texas. Another great underdog coach who didn't have the right system and couldn't get the right recruits to put it together (.477 conf win%) and now he's back in the north east at Marquette where I suspect he will get back on track to some degree.
To your Shaka/Frost comparison: Shaka went INTO a much easier recruiting environment at Texas than Frost has at Nebraska. For me the biggest mistake both coaches made is the same; once they got the BIG job they stopped recruiting for system fit and started recruiting for "stars". Shaka never had the mayhem D at Texas(he said he did but he didn't) and Frost isn't slinging the ball all over the field like he was at UCF. They both forgot who they brought to the dance and it looks as if they will both be going home alone (with generational wealth mind you).
FREQS AND GEEKS!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:23 pm

appdaze wrote:

Marquette is in Milwaukee but you're otherwise on point. ;)
WE ARE YOSEF!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:34 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:23 pm
appdaze wrote:

Marquette is in Milwaukee but you're otherwise on point. ;)
:oops: haaa yea at the time of writing that for some reason I had in my head that it was around philly. D-Wade was one of my favorite players to watch so I should have remembered that correctly.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:58 pm

pop5app wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 pm
I’d say defense and special teams won the game for Illinois, not their offense.
While Nebraska looked terrible. I saw a lot of similar features from our offense last year in Illini.And yes they relied mostly on defense and special teams good catch.

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Nebraska had a lot of success pulling in kids from the west coast back when they were rolling. I still think CFB is generally an afterthought for the population on the west coast but Nebraska can’t make the same hay there that they once did, given technological advancements and the improved national recruiting efforts, which is of course driven by all of the money in the sport. That’s a whole other thread that I would rather not get into.
#BeatECU

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:37 pm

InFor6More wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:08 pm
Nebraska had a lot of success pulling in kids from the west coast back when they were rolling. I still think CFB is generally an afterthought for the population on the west coast but Nebraska can’t make the same hay there that they once did, given technological advancements and the improved national recruiting efforts, which is of course driven by all of the money in the sport. That’s a whole other thread that I would rather not get into.
#BeatECU
Totally agree. Nebraska used to be the kind of place a kid would go to get guaranteed blue chip tv exposure because he was a legit NFL prospect. Now that same kid can get just as much air time at any FBS program in America aside from that hideous CUSA contract.
YNWA

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:45 pm

Game of the Century , Nebraska - Oklahoma.Johnny Rogers.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:33 am

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:37 pm
InFor6More wrote:
#BeatECU
Totally agree. Nebraska used to be the kind of place a kid would go to get guaranteed blue chip tv exposure because he was a legit NFL prospect. Now that same kid can get just as much air time at any FBS program in America aside from that hideous CUSA contract.
But don't you think with the introduction of the NIL there should be an Increase in their recruiting success? Especially with the likes of Warren Buffett desperate to see Nebraska be relevant again.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:56 am

NavyApp wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:33 am
ah59396 wrote:
InFor6More wrote:
#BeatECU
But don't you think with the introduction of the NIL there should be an Increase in their recruiting success? Especially with the likes of Warren Buffett desperate to see Nebraska be relevant again.
A player that can get that type of NIL deal, can get that type of NIL deal anywhere. (Haslett has deep pockets at Tennessee for instance). Nebraska took the money to go into the Big 10 and that hurt them. Had they stayed in the Big 12, they would have kept the rivalry with Oklahoma (at least up to this point). They also have not had a marquee QB in the last 20 years.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:34 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:56 am
NavyApp wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:33 am
ah59396 wrote:
InFor6More wrote:
#BeatECU
A player that can get that type of NIL deal, can get that type of NIL deal anywhere. (Haslett has deep pockets at Tennessee for instance). Nebraska took the money to go into the Big 10 and that hurt them. Had they stayed in the Big 12, they would have kept the rivalry with Oklahoma (at least up to this point). They also have not had a marquee QB in the last 20 years.
I'm with you on that. I just think they could go and "overpay" high 3* fringe 4* guys(particularly skill position guys who can run) to fit the scheme Frost ran at UCF. Right now he has big plodding guys on the outside that create little to no speration which is why they had ONE 40 yard passing play all of last year. Frost seems fixated on retooling via juco and transfers presumably to shorten the turnaround but again he's not going after the right guys so he is still at square one. He should have gone after Milton in the transfer portal, because you are right the QB position has been a quagmire for way too long. Martinez is not the guy and that has been evident for a few years now. I think Frost could still be a successful coach but he has to accept the fact that he failed up until now, and he is going to completely overhaul their talent evaluation and recruiting process.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”