Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satterfield should do everything possible to get Duke job

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Re: Satterfield should do everything possible to get Duke job

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:55 am

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:16 pm
It probably depends on what Satterfield wants. If he has aspirations of a national championship, Durham makes no sense.

But if he’d like to coach in the Power5 for another decade+, making millions a year, with very low expectations in his hometown…then Duke is about as good as it gets.
exactly this. He could be making pretty good money for a long time. Making duke a bowl eligible team on a yearly basis is a win there. Much less pressure/more realistic expectations at Duke as compared to UL. Plus back in NC. There could be a lot of appealing factors for Satt other than winning a national championship

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:15 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:23 pm
Footballscoop listed four names for the Duke job........#3 was Shawn Clark. Apps need to extend his contract and give him a pay raise to $950-1M with a $2M buyout so App can get paid.
Clark's current buyout is $3 million until Jan. 1, then it drops to $1 million.

If Clark goes this cycle (not saying he will or won't, just if), it'll likely be before Jan. 1. With early signing day, power conference teams will not wait all of December before hiring someone.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:49 am

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 am
kornegaylw wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:03 am
From the outside looking in Shawn Clark is an easy name to include in a list of possible head coaches at Duke. From what I've read about SC and heard from him about his love for App I don't get the vibe he leaves for a job like Duke.

The West Virginia job when in a year or two when Neal Brown moves on is what concerns me...and honestly a down year for App next wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to us in regards to coaching continuity.
From the inside looking out, I wonder if our fanbase doesn’t give Shawn the credit he deserves.

20-5 record. 2-0 in bowl games. A potential conference championship on the horizon and another bowl. All under incredible expectations.

I get the impression a lot of our fans (not all) believe his success is a result of the program, not his efforts. To them I’d say look no further than our new conference mates Southern Miss, who had similar pedigree - 18 straight winning seasons - until they hired Ellis Johnson, then won 4 games in 3 years.
Apologies if my original comment didn't give Clark the credit he deserves. I think he is an excellent HC and we are very lucky to have him. He learned from the few mistakes he made last year (clock management & time outs) and has really done well with recruiting. I hope he stays and I hope he can keep as many assistants as he can.

My comment about a "down year" next year was taking into consideration how many new faces we'll see on both sides of the ball and the growing pains we'll see from them. It could result in some losses that from an outsiders perspective, i.e. another school looking for a new HC, aren't appealing and give us more time with Clark.

Love Shawn Clark. Bombs over Baghdad and Sandpaper that Ass

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:57 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:49 am
ah59396 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
From the outside looking in Shawn Clark is an easy name to include in a list of possible head coaches at Duke. From what I've read about SC and heard from him about his love for App I don't get the vibe he leaves for a job like Duke.

The West Virginia job when in a year or two when Neal Brown moves on is what concerns me...and honestly a down year for App next wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to us in regards to coaching continuity.
From the inside looking out, I wonder if our fanbase doesn’t give Shawn the credit he deserves.

20-5 record. 2-0 in bowl games. A potential conference championship on the horizon and another bowl. All under incredible expectations.

I get the impression a lot of our fans (not all) believe his success is a result of the program, not his efforts. To them I’d say look no further than our new conference mates Southern Miss, who had similar pedigree - 18 straight winning seasons - until they hired Ellis Johnson, then won 4 games in 3 years.
Apologies if my original comment didn't give Clark the credit he deserves. I think he is an excellent HC and we are very lucky to have him. He learned from the few mistakes he made last year (clock management & time outs) and has really done well with recruiting. I hope he stays and I hope he can keep as many assistants as he can.

My comment about a "down year" next year was taking into consideration how many new faces we'll see on both sides of the ball and the growing pains we'll see from them. It could result in some losses that from an outsiders perspective, i.e. another school looking for a new HC, aren't appealing and give us more time with Clark.

Love Shawn Clark. Bombs over Baghdad and Sandpaper that Ass
No need to apologize your post made perfect sense. I was just piggy backing off of it, not directed at you!
YNWA

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:00 am

ah59396 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

Clark deserves a ton of credit. He lead the program through COVID and to another 10 win season. We take for granted just how difficult it is to win games and how App gets every teams best shot. Clark could have given the same speech that Sabin did the other day and it wouldn't have fazed anyone.

Its fair to say that Clark, like Drinkwitz, inherited a great team. But we need to remember that since 2016 Clark has built the OLine, has been Co-OC and from what I understand about the Drinkwitz year was a team leader. The good team helped him through tough times, covered for his clock management mistakes and allowed him to mature as a head coach. I am really excited to he is the HC. I hope he stays for as long as we wants and I hope he can retain his assistants as long as he can.

My comment about a down year next year takes into consideration that we will have a lot of fresh faces playing and as they develop we could see a couple losses...or it could be like 2018 and we just reload.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:08 am

It seems to me that many programs have super seniors and there will be fresh faces with many teams. I feel like we are similar to top teams in P5 for the G5 and are a great program. If we are truly great, we reload...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:29 pm

"Reloading" will a lot more difficult if Brice doesn't return. While we have a lot of young talent at WR, breaking them in with a young QB could result in some real growing pains. The defense will lose a lot of talent as well. It doesn't mean we can't have a successful season in 2022 but it is wise to temper one's expectations.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:48 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:55 am
ah59396 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:16 pm
It probably depends on what Satterfield wants. If he has aspirations of a national championship, Durham makes no sense.

But if he’d like to coach in the Power5 for another decade+, making millions a year, with very low expectations in his hometown…then Duke is about as good as it gets.
exactly this. He could be making pretty good money for a long time. Making duke a bowl eligible team on a yearly basis is a win there. Much less pressure/more realistic expectations at Duke as compared to UL. Plus back in NC. There could be a lot of appealing factors for Satt other than winning a national championship
How does anyone know that Coach Satterfield is interested in the Duke job?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:32 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:02 am
ah59396 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

You nailed it on the head. You can hear some subtle things recently in Clark's press conference, especially after Saturday's game when he talked about how after Louisiana that no one believed in the team except for those in the locker room, stated that things were rough. You hear enough idiots on Saturdays to know that he has to hear some of the talk. That can wear on you despite how much you love your school.
Anywhere coaches go they are going to hear nonsense from fans etc...Hope he stays for a long time but time will tell.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:48 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:02 am
ah59396 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

You nailed it on the head. You can hear some subtle things recently in Clark's press conference, especially after Saturday's game when he talked about how after Louisiana that no one believed in the team except for those in the locker room, stated that things were rough. You hear enough idiots on Saturdays to know that he has to hear some of the talk. That can wear on you despite how much you love your school.
First point, I think Clark is doing a great job as our HC. We hired a rookie HC knowing there would be some growing pains. He has, thus far, delivered 9 and 10 win seasons in first two years which is phenomenal. I always want more but am realistic that we are very very lucky to have him and have the level of performance from our team. I expect him to get better and better with more experience. From what I have seen, he is only going to get better and I hope he stays for a long long time.

Second point, about Clark's subtle statements in his press conference: Don't think for one second that the higher you go, i.e. P5, ACC/SEC, the more critical fans will be. Yes, App fans expect a high level of performance and some make some boneheaded comments from time to time. It is also fair to expect fans to discuss the team's performances with opinions as long as they are with good intentions and in good taste. That is part of the fun of being a fan. I think opinions should be differentiated between players and coaches, who get paid. As such, we always have to remember we are dealing with 18-23 year old young men that are far from perfect but giving tremendous effort at this stage of their lives. But, the higher you go in pecking order of college football the more pressure there will be. As a coach, if you make multi-million dollar salaries then you better believe the heat is much hotter in the kitchen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”