Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satterfield should do everything possible to get Duke job

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Satterfield should do everything possible to get Duke job

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:38 pm

With Cutcliffe out, Satt should try to do lateral to hop to Duke before getting fired from "the Ville".

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/dukes-cutc ... /20006478/

t4pizza

Re: Satterfield should do everything possible to get Duke job

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:44 pm

I think it would be a mistake to take the Duke job, coaching purgatory with no real chance to win big.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:55 pm

As much as I would love to see Coach Satterfield make Duke a solid program I just don't see it - their admissions are probably the most stringent in the ACC and it takes numbers to build a program - now if he could take his skill athletes with him that would give him a start - when Duke has won they have had a top notch QB and good receivers and RBs
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:55 pm

Ah, why? Dook is where coaches go to die. Louisville was preseason 6th of 7 teams on their side of ACC. They finished 4th and are bowl eligible. The former coach left a dumpster fire for Satt to rebuild. IMO, Dook is the worst destination in the ACC. Syracuse is not good now, however at least they have a history and with right coach may be decent..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:09 pm

Cutcliffe did it early at Duke. Grobe and now Clawson have had even better success at Wake. I think that Satt could have Duke respectable in three years or so and have plenty of time and fan patience to do it.

Satt burned his bridge in L'ville with his South Carolina diabolical. It is going to be hard to win solid recruits with so much speculation on coach. Harbaugh pulled a miracle out of his hat this year after his salary cut last off season. Satt and Frost are still on the hot seat after their salary cuts and probably each only have next season to show marked improvement.

Duke job puts him close to his parents as he said was a desire after his South Carolina interview.
Last edited by HighlandsApp on Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:11 pm

Duke is a dead end
BLACK SATURDAY

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:24 pm

Terrible take 🤣
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:24 pm

I really think Cutcliffe is a much better coach than his record shows. He did about as good as you can at Duke where from 2012-2018 they went 52-39, 3-3 in bowl games, flippin miracle to do that at Duke.

I wouldn't sleep on these money bags private schools though. Now that we live in the age of NILs, all its going to take is the donors to decide they want bigger recruits and they can buy their recruitment.

Satt should stay put. Maybe he should wait out Mack Brown if he wants to move back to NC, or see if Doren leaves NC State. If he just wants to leave Louisville then GA Tech is a place where you can win. If he wants to be semi close to home then Virginia is a solid spot. I think their coach's seat is getting a bit hot. Its a place you can actually win at as well.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:01 pm

I spoke with a respected reporter shortly before Satt left Boone. He said that Cutt and Satt are close and that Cutt had hoped (planned) for Satt to take over for him in Durham if they could have worked it out. It means nothing now, just that it was at least a potential option a couple of years ago.
Give 'em hell!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:16 pm

It probably depends on what Satterfield wants. If he has aspirations of a national championship, Durham makes no sense.

But if he’d like to coach in the Power5 for another decade+, making millions a year, with very low expectations in his hometown…then Duke is about as good as it gets.
YNWA

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:38 pm

Let's not forget the personal aspect here.

Satt's family hasn't exactly fallen in love with Louisville and we can imagine being closer to family again would be appetizing to them. And who knows what Duke will decide? It wouldn't be a stretch to think Cutcliffe may weigh in on his replacement.

Besides, if Riley bolting Oklahoma for SoCal teaches us anything...it's that anything is possible.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:23 pm

Footballscoop listed four names for the Duke job........#3 was Shawn Clark. Apps need to extend his contract and give him a pay raise to $950-1M with a $2M buyout so App can get paid.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:55 pm

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2021/11/2 ... tucky-game

Sending love to the family for their loss

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:03 am

From the outside looking in Shawn Clark is an easy name to include in a list of possible head coaches at Duke. From what I've read about SC and heard from him about his love for App I don't get the vibe he leaves for a job like Duke.

The West Virginia job when in a year or two when Neal Brown moves on is what concerns me...and honestly a down year for App next wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to us in regards to coaching continuity.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:24 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:03 am
From the outside looking in Shawn Clark is an easy name to include in a list of possible head coaches at Duke. From what I've read about SC and heard from him about his love for App I don't get the vibe he leaves for a job like Duke.

The West Virginia job when in a year or two when Neal Brown moves on is what concerns me...and honestly a down year for App next wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to us in regards to coaching continuity.
I doubt the WV fanbase would allow the school to replace a failed Sun Belt or G5 coach with another Sun Belt coach, so I think we’re good there.
And I want Clark to be successful to the point other programs start sniffing around. Mediocre seasons are produced by mediocre coaches and mediocre talent, and I don’t think we have either. I sure as heck am not going to wish for that just to keep someone here.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 am

kornegaylw wrote:

From the inside looking out, I wonder if our fanbase doesn’t give Shawn the credit he deserves.

20-5 record. 2-0 in bowl games. A potential conference championship on the horizon and another bowl. All under incredible expectations.

I get the impression a lot of our fans (not all) believe his success is a result of the program, not his efforts. To them I’d say look no further than our new conference mates Southern Miss, who had similar pedigree - 18 straight winning seasons - until they hired Ellis Johnson, then won 4 games in 3 years.
YNWA

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:02 am

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 am
kornegaylw wrote:

From the inside looking out, I wonder if our fanbase doesn’t give Shawn the credit he deserves.

20-5 record. 2-0 in bowl games. A potential conference championship on the horizon and another bowl. All under incredible expectations.

I get the impression a lot of our fans (not all) believe his success is a result of the program, not his efforts. To them I’d say look no further than our new conference mates Southern Miss, who had similar pedigree - 18 straight winning seasons - until they hired Ellis Johnson, then won 4 games in 3 years.
You nailed it on the head. You can hear some subtle things recently in Clark's press conference, especially after Saturday's game when he talked about how after Louisiana that no one believed in the team except for those in the locker room, stated that things were rough. You hear enough idiots on Saturdays to know that he has to hear some of the talk. That can wear on you despite how much you love your school.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:15 am

If Satterfield wasn't already at Louisville, the Dook job would already be his.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:26 am

I’m hoping our fans are willing to temper expectations for 2022. Given what we have coming back (particularly at wideout, on defense and special teams) and an especially tough non-conference schedule (UNC, Texas A&M and Marshall), we’ll be fortunate to get to .500. Hope I’m wrong. This pandemic bubble has not only given us an extra year of some amazing athletes but also delayed the progression of the players behind them.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:24 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:26 am
I’m hoping our fans are willing to temper expectations for 2022. Given what we have coming back (particularly at wideout, on defense and special teams) and an especially tough non-conference schedule (UNC, Texas A&M and Marshall), we’ll be fortunate to get to .500. Hope I’m wrong. This pandemic bubble has not only given us an extra year of some amazing athletes but also delayed the progression of the players behind them.
I'm with you on this. I think we have a LOT of young talent on the roster and I don't see us having a terrible year, but 2022 is almost certainly going to involve some transition pains. I don't remember App EVER having this much turnover on the 2-deep. I'm optimistic about the future but my expectations are definitely tempered for next season. I think we do better than .500 but it will be a painful season by App standards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”