Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCC $100 Million Athletic Upgrades

appdaze

Re: UNCC $100 Million Athletic Upgrades

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 25, 2022 12:16 pm

I would love for them to quickly get to our level in football for a rivalry over the next 30-40 years or more if we can match their growth. App hasn't had a great rival in decades. WCU was our whipping boy more times than not. 58-19-1 and the last couple decades have been a joke. Stink are closer as a true rivalry but even then, outside of their 1998-2004 run....ehhhh. 20-15-1 overall against them. Since out program started its big changes with 2004 to now aka the spread change, we are 12-6. Charlotte would be a great true rival for us and I hope it really happens.

mike87
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by mike87 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:41 pm

Pretty cool how they captured the game day experience in those photo's. You can almost hear the noise of the crowd.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed May 25, 2022 1:58 pm

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:16 pm
I would love for them to quickly get to our level in football for a rivalry over the next 30-40 years or more if we can match their growth. App hasn't had a great rival in decades. WCU was our whipping boy more times than not. 58-19-1 and the last couple decades have been a joke. Stink are closer as a true rivalry but even then, outside of their 1998-2004 run....ehhhh. 20-15-1 overall against them. Since out program started its big changes with 2004 to now aka the spread change, we are 12-6. Charlotte would be a great true rival for us and I hope it really happens.
Continue to grow the Sunbelt and make it more attractive than the AAC and it will not be long before ECU and UNCC will come calling as well as Louisiana Tech. Who else would you like to see in the Sunbelt West?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed May 25, 2022 2:08 pm

appdaze wrote:
I would have to say that Georgia Southern has been a great rival. 20-15-1 is about as balanced as a rivalry gets. They are definitely down right now but I do not believe they will stay down. Now we have Marshall returning as a conference foe. That rivalry is going to reignite immediately. I don't think we lack for rivalries. That said, I do think Charlotte will ultimately become a rival, especially with us playing several times over the upcoming years.

Once JMU transitions, there is potential for an excellent rivalry there also....not to mention Coastal (if they can keep things going).

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed May 25, 2022 2:54 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:08 pm
appdaze wrote:
I would have to say that Georgia Southern has been a great rival. 20-15-1 is about as balanced as a rivalry gets. They are definitely down right now but I do not believe they will stay down. Now we have Marshall returning as a conference foe. That rivalry is going to reignite immediately. I don't think we lack for rivalries. That said, I do think Charlotte will ultimately become a rival, especially with us playing several times over the upcoming years.

Once JMU transitions, there is potential for an excellent rivalry there also....not to mention Coastal (if they can keep things going).
It seems every team in the Sunbelt East has the potential to be a great rival.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed May 25, 2022 3:17 pm

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:15 am
fjblair wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:22 am
appdaze wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:17 am
They will pass us in the long run. Make fun of them while you can. Eventually they will land their Jerry Moore that takes them to new heights and shows Charlotte investors that it's a worthy investment. Then the NIL money will roll in bringing bigger recruits.

Realistically, many on this board won't be alive to see it, but it's coming. Enjoy the hating and mocking while it lasts.
Why so butthurt? When did you attend UNCC?

Anything can happen, but NIL is not going to transform UNCC and crush ASU.
Lol, butthurt? You sure do like make up things that don't exist. I never attended UNCC. Why are you so butthurt about someone predicting a pretty obvious future? As someone else already pointed out, they outpace us in many other ways athletically already, football will be no different in the long run. Let me know when our alum, most of which don't give a dime to Yosef, will out NIL the city of Charlotte and all the advertising opportunities it will bring to future players. Don't be so short sighted with all that is currently going on in college sports. I said on this board years ago that college sports would eventually turn pro and players would no longer be student athletes unless they chose to take classes and that colleges would simply "sponsor" a team to play sports in their name. We are on the way there now. It won't happen over night, but 40-60 years from now college sports will just be a paid pro minor league for all sports.
I don't share your pessimism RE: UNCC. Sure, they have some better tertiary sports, but we also have some that are performing high. NIL is wild west right now, but it will calm down in a few years once the newness wears off, some rules are set up, and businesses have data on how much $$ is to be made.

They will eventually have a better football season that us, its bound to happen. But it won't be the end of the world and it won't mean they've "passed us" in football unless we make a long line of mistakes.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 25, 2022 3:52 pm

Hmm. Where is all the Community College stuff that was prevalent on here when we last faced them in Richardson Stadium? Some of the ones calling them names are now the ones hyping them.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 25, 2022 5:24 pm

In 2013 I read about the demise of App State at the hands of UNCC…

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed May 25, 2022 7:34 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:54 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:08 pm
appdaze wrote:

It seems every team in the Sunbelt East has the potential to be a great rival.
There are some generational work at play here I bet. Older alumni are looking forward to Marshall. Those are were in school during the AE years are likely looking forward to JMU. My daughter has been away for a few years and has a loathing for CCU that I don't get to be honest. Well, I get it but not to her level of loathing.

For OOC I could see UNCC being a bigger game that ECU, but I have to admit walking out of the stadium last year in Charlotte was a great feeling getting the ECU victory. It did feel better than the UNCC games but if the 49ers improve in ability I could see it become a bigger game for the fans if only for proximity.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu May 26, 2022 6:13 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:52 pm
Hmm. Where is all the Community College stuff that was prevalent on here when we last faced them in Richardson Stadium? Some of the ones calling them names are now the ones hyping them.
Those are not mutually exclusive viewpoints. You do realize that, right? One can have little use for Charlotte and still realize the potential they have.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:29 am

appst89 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:13 am
NewApp wrote:
Those are not mutually exclusive viewpoints. You do realize that, right? One can have little use for Charlotte and still realize the potential they have.
But that doesn’t start a pointless argument...which is about the only reason he ever posts. :roll: :roll:

GO APPS!!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu May 26, 2022 9:36 am

The Sun Belt East is the G5 equivalent of the SEC West. From an App perspective every week is rivalry week. Marshall, JMU, Georgia Southern, and Coastal are the perfect 4 teams to spark nostalgia-hate over the generations of App fans (as previously stated).

I personally want ECU in our conference too. Having read the Sunbeltbbs realignment threads the only team out west that would make everyone happy is UAB. There is a deep seeded hatred for La Tech from just about every fan base…not in a healthy rivalry way but a “we don’t want anything to do with them” way. Other options like Tulane, Rice, UNT, and UTSA don’t move the western fans’ needle. Missouri State?? C’mon, why? But everyone seems to like UAB. If the SB rises so high and the AAC falls so low that ECU becomes interested in making the move then UAB would be as well.

The SB-east is a dream division for App fans. I hope other SB East fan bases feel the same way.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu May 26, 2022 11:41 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:36 am
The Sun Belt East is the G5 equivalent of the SEC West. From an App perspective every week is rivalry week. Marshall, JMU, Georgia Southern, and Coastal are the perfect 4 teams to spark nostalgia-hate over the generations of App fans (as previously stated).

I personally want ECU in our conference too. Having read the Sunbeltbbs realignment threads the only team out west that would make everyone happy is UAB. There is a deep seeded hatred for La Tech from just about every fan base…not in a healthy rivalry way but a “we don’t want anything to do with them” way. Other options like Tulane, Rice, UNT, and UTSA don’t move the western fans’ needle. Missouri State?? C’mon, why? But everyone seems to like UAB. If the SB rises so high and the AAC falls so low that ECU becomes interested in making the move then UAB would be as well.

The SB-east is a dream division for App fans. I hope other SB East fan bases feel the same way.

I agree with the SEC West comparison. It's hard to believe how well things have worked out in the few short years we have been in the SunBelt. I was never unhappy about winding up here, but I have to admit to being disappointed that CUSA didn't offer us. I'm just grateful now that they didn't! I love that App has become the "rival" game for most teams in the East even if some of our fans don't think of those schools as "rivals" (yet). Having grown up a Georgia fan, that's how it is for them. Tennessee, Auburn, South Carolina and Florida are all considered rivalry games....and of course Ga Tech (OOC). App was in the same situation in the SoCon and hasn't missed a step with the move up.

I would love to see ECU in the SunBelt East but until the exit fee changes for the AAC I don't see that happening and I don't see the AAC decreasing the exit fee (destabilizing the conference) without some significant external catalyst. We can always hope.

PROUD TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!!!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu May 26, 2022 12:48 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:41 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:36 am

I agree with the SEC West comparison. It's hard to believe how well things have worked out in the few short years we have been in the SunBelt. I was never unhappy about winding up here, but I have to admit to being disappointed that CUSA didn't offer us. I'm just grateful now that they didn't! I love that App has become the "rival" game for most teams in the East even if some of our fans don't think of those schools as "rivals" (yet). Having grown up a Georgia fan, that's how it is for them. Tennessee, Auburn, South Carolina and Florida are all considered rivalry games....and of course Ga Tech (OOC). App was in the same situation in the SoCon and hasn't missed a step with the move up.

I would love to see ECU in the SunBelt East but until the exit fee changes for the AAC I don't see that happening and I don't see the AAC decreasing the exit fee (destabilizing the conference) without some significant external catalyst. We can always hope.

PROUD TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!!!
No one thought Texas and Oklahoma would leave the Big 12 either... Schools are going to do what is best for them and if a move by ECU or UAB to the Sunbelt benefits them, then that is what they will do.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu May 26, 2022 10:04 pm

appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
At the time, there was very little talk about UNC-C having a bright future as far as being compatible/competitive with us. Most of the discussion was about how small and dinky their stadium was and how there was no place for tailgating.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu May 26, 2022 10:06 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:29 am
appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
But that doesn’t start a pointless argument...which is about the only reason he ever posts. :roll: :roll:

GO APPS!!
In your frigging opinion. :roll: :roll: Wasn't trying to start an argument no more than the discussions of future members/rivals in the Sunbelt and stuff like that.
Google SUX

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri May 27, 2022 5:39 am

NewApp wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:04 pm
appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
At the time, there was very little talk about UNC-C having a bright future as far as being compatible/competitive with us. Most of the discussion was about how small and dinky their stadium was and how there was no place for tailgating.
That is still true, and still doesn't preclude anyone from recognizing the advantages Charlotte has in this new Wild West of buying players.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri May 27, 2022 7:59 am

"That is still true, and still doesn't preclude anyone from recognizing the advantages Charlotte has in this new Wild West of buying players."

Good point, Glenn.
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:17 pm

The Marsha rivalry was some kind of intense and will be again.JMU has hated us since the three touchdown miracle .We are going to have our hands full as things stand.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:11 pm

Food for thought:

At first glance, UNCC's situation seem similar to that of GA State. But while most everyone in the ATL loves UGA and the rest are GT fans, UNCC Football doesn't have other strong programs as competitors in their market.

As has been mentioned already, UNCC has a large enrollment and the majority of their graduates stay in and around the Queen City. If 49'er Football starts winning on a regular basis, more of these alums will get excited, get involved and get their wallets out.

UNCC is located in a large metropolitan area with superb access to large corporate sponsors. Their access longer-term, larger dollar sponsorship commitments can't be overstated. And you can bet ESPN will do anything and everything they can to grow viewership (and ad dollars) in the Charlotte MSA.

Friends, UNCC is making moves/investments that will begin to pay off. Don't believe me?
Here are some similar situations:
  • Coastal Carolina - Moglia comes home, gets involved & pumps in a mountain of cash
  • Louisiana - Napier casts the vision of building a team to consistently dominate App. The university/boosters catch the vision and open their checkbooks
Within a few years, both programs become nationally-ranked and media darlings. Who's to say the same thing doesn't happen at UNCC in the near future?

So, what's my point?

The sage once observed that "money talks and bullsh_t walks." Our Athletics Dept. has performed miracles producing a world-class football product on a shoestring budget...but those days are over.

For App fans who've given every excuse in the book not to join YC: it is time to ride or die. You think you're proud to be an App alum? Ask any YC member here: that sense of pride swells immensely when you're making a financial commitment to help our players get an education!

And If we're not determined to make the necessary investment in App State athletics? Our rivals can and will pay that price and they'll eventually pass us by. It's wishful thinking to believe otherwise, given we've already seen it happen twice in the Sun Belt. End of rant.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”