Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCC $100 Million Athletic Upgrades

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

UNCC $100 Million Athletic Upgrades

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue May 24, 2022 7:01 pm

Lots of sports but here is the football stadium expansion.

https://charlotteevergreen.com/phase-on ... index.html
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppWyo

Re: UNCC $100 Million Athletic Upgrades

Unread post by AppWyo » Tue May 24, 2022 7:22 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:01 pm
Lots of sports but here is the football stadium expansion.

https://charlotteevergreen.com/phase-on ... index.html
Evergreen is clever...with black you do not need clever, because it is awesome.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue May 24, 2022 7:39 pm

Ambitious…..

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:18 pm

Still a turd

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:34 pm

Good for them adding some luxury seating.

They’re adding 5,000 seats to get to 21k.

Couldn’t sell out 15k vs Duke last year. Every other year ECU will bring a crowd, but the apathy from their fanbase will need an adjustment.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Wed May 25, 2022 5:20 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:39 pm
Ambitious…..
Very ambitous to expect the visiting team to bring 20 to 30 thousand fans lol

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed May 25, 2022 6:21 am

Belittle them as you will, but it’s pretty impressive!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed May 25, 2022 6:46 am

Impressive, good luck ‘9ers
Bring Your A Game!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed May 25, 2022 7:20 am

It really is going to be a very nice facility. The hard part is going to be finding some butts to put in those seats. I am actually not pulling for Charlotte to fail. I know all the arguments about competition, and certainly not looking for them to be world beaters, but I am fine with the local team having success, as long as App consistently pummels them when we play.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:13 am

They pretty much have better facilities across the board than us right, maybe minus football? Kinda sucks but I guess that's what 30k enrollment and an engineering school buys you.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 25, 2022 8:17 am

They will pass us in the long run. Make fun of them while you can. Eventually they will land their Jerry Moore that takes them to new heights and shows Charlotte investors that it's a worthy investment. Then the NIL money will roll in bringing bigger recruits.

Realistically, many on this board won't be alive to see it, but it's coming. Enjoy the hating and mocking while it lasts.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed May 25, 2022 8:22 am

appdaze wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:17 am
They will pass us in the long run. Make fun of them while you can. Eventually they will land their Jerry Moore that takes them to new heights and shows Charlotte investors that it's a worthy investment. Then the NIL money will roll in bringing bigger recruits.

Realistically, many on this board won't be alive to see it, but it's coming. Enjoy the hating and mocking while it lasts.
Why so butthurt? When did you attend UNCC?

Anything can happen, but NIL is not going to transform UNCC and crush ASU.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed May 25, 2022 8:59 am

fjblair wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:22 am
appdaze wrote:

I am as anti-anything but App State as anyone o this board, but they did briefly pass us once without even playing a down. It could happen again.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed May 25, 2022 9:13 am

I see a day when ECU and UNCC, along with App, CCU, GS, GSU, JMU, MU, and ODU are in the same conference. Who knows? A&T might just be there too.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed May 25, 2022 9:19 am

I realize most of it is all in the name of fan board talk but it does say something when one fanbase feels obligated to poo pah another's efforts. To be honest outside of football in most of other sports they out pace us in both results and facilities. I'm no fan and routinely pull against them but there's nothing to say that they can't find their way in football.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:38 am

My guess is AAC required the upgrade.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 25, 2022 10:15 am

fjblair wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:22 am
appdaze wrote:

Lol, butthurt? You sure do like make up things that don't exist. I never attended UNCC. Why are you so butthurt about someone predicting a pretty obvious future? As someone else already pointed out, they outpace us in many other ways athletically already, football will be no different in the long run. Let me know when our alum, most of which don't give a dime to Yosef, will out NIL the city of Charlotte and all the advertising opportunities it will bring to future players. Don't be so short sighted with all that is currently going on in college sports. I said on this board years ago that college sports would eventually turn pro and players would no longer be student athletes unless they chose to take classes and that colleges would simply "sponsor" a team to play sports in their name. We are on the way there now. It won't happen over night, but 40-60 years from now college sports will just be a paid pro minor league for all sports.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed May 25, 2022 10:32 am

I generally have felt the same way about college sports- mostly football eventually becoming a minor league but I now have a different thought. I carved out about 5:00 to watch some of the USFL (or whatever that Spring pro league is). As the teams basically traded punts and the offense (directed by QB’s I’d never heard of) went nowhere a thought came to mind. The overall real pro talent level drops considerably when you pool together guys who really are not NFL caliber. Basically the rosters in this league are all on the same level. Imagine a minor league made up of 18-22 year old mostly 4 and 5 star guys all competing against each other. The games would stink because the relative talent would be a wash. Under the normal college model you get the studs who can dominate lesser talented guys and in the case of big boy P5’s they simply dominate the talent pool. If there was a real paid minor league those games would be awful to watch. The only comparable situation I see is if the SEC was able to take over but even then your usually only talking 3-4 schools whipping the rest.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:32 am
I generally have felt the same way about college sports- mostly football eventually becoming a minor league but I now have a different thought. I carved out about 5:00 to watch some of the USFL (or whatever that Spring pro league is). As the teams basically traded punts and the offense (directed by QB’s I’d never heard of) went nowhere a thought came to mind. The overall real pro talent level drops considerably when you pool together guys who really are not NFL caliber. Basically the rosters in this league are all on the same level. Imagine a minor league made up of 18-22 year old mostly 4 and 5 star guys all competing against each other. The games would stink because the relative talent would be a wash. Under the normal college model you get the studs who can dominate lesser talented guys and in the case of big boy P5’s they simply dominate the talent pool. If there was a real paid minor league those games would be awful to watch. The only comparable situation I see is if the SEC was able to take over but even then your usually only talking 3-4 schools whipping the rest.
That is a really different level of football you are referencing. Minor league baseball is great. G league basketball is great to watch. Usfl isn't the minor league. Your minor league is where you draft your players from or where you develop your players depending on the league setup. Your other option is a soccer style relegation league which if you are into soccer is still fun to watch even at the lower levels.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed May 25, 2022 11:56 am

The reality is that Charlotte is developing an athletic program that is pretty decent. App remains well ahead in football and I think we are pretty close in basketball, although they have their "history" from decades ago to fall back on. Charlotte baseball is improving, T&F and soccer are both excellent.

Eventually there will be a year when Charlotte fields a better football team than App. I will hate it, but it will happen eventually. Maybe it will be because of some bad coaching hire down the road by App, or a magical hire by Charlotte. I don't see them leaving us behind as a football program, but for a season or two it will happen. The rivalry will build and ultimately, that won't be a bad thing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”