Bown Gray Racing and WSSU

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Bown Gray Racing and WSSU

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:15 am

So I am NOT a fan of car racing and I have not been to a race track since I went on a date with my 1st grade teacher nearly a half century ago to Hickory Motor Speedway.

So last night I went to Bowman Gray. Wow!

They ended with a demolition derby. There was already some debris on the track and infield from earlier races and they had the big trucks out crushing cars at intermission and those big trucks were doing donuts on the track but they also did some damage to the infield though not much in the playing area. My question is how they clean the infield of the small pieces of metal (and the demolition race clearing had some metal pieces left in the infield so it is safe for WSSU football. Do they walk around with a big magnet like roofers use? They do not run races past August 26 so the seasons don't overlap but still there has to be a safety consideration here for the football teams.

Hopefully someone has a W-S connection and knows. I did sit behind a driver and his family by chance and the wife helped a bit with a few things she knew about but she had no idea about the track logistics.

I am planning drag racing in Julian next. I assume no college jousting teams use that for their jousting tournaments.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Re: Bown Gray Racing and WSSU

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:56 pm

I dunno McL but the first college football game I saw that I understood what was going on was Wake and Maryland with drunks throwing glass beer bottles at us Cub Scouts. The actual first football game I saw was when I was 4 or 5 on my Dad's shoulders at Wallace Wade or Carolina in the Pines stadium one or the other.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:19 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:56 pm
I dunno McL but the first college football game I saw that I understood what was going on was Wake and Maryland with drunks throwing glass beer bottles at us Cub Scouts. The actual first football game I saw was when I was 4 or 5 on my Dad's shoulders at Wallace Wade or Carolina in the Pines stadium one or the other.
Hopefully none of those bottles hit you in the head! Might loosen a few screws.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:30 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:15 am
So I am NOT a fan of car racing and I have not been to a race track since I went on a date with my 1st grade teacher nearly a half century ago to Hickory Motor Speedway.

So last night I went to Bowman Gray. Wow!

They ended with a demolition derby. There was already some debris on the track and infield from earlier races and they had the big trucks out crushing cars at intermission and those big trucks were doing donuts on the track but they also did some damage to the infield though not much in the playing area. My question is how they clean the infield of the small pieces of metal (and the demolition race clearing had some metal pieces left in the infield so it is safe for WSSU football. Do they walk around with a big magnet like roofers use? They do not run races past August 26 so the seasons don't overlap but still there has to be a safety consideration here for the football teams.

Hopefully someone has a W-S connection and knows. I did sit behind a driver and his family by chance and the wife helped a bit with a few things she knew about but she had no idea about the track logistics.

I am planning drag racing in Julian next. I assume no college jousting teams use that for their jousting tournaments.
Bowman racing has a culture and cult following all of its own. As for the field I doubt it is always cleaned up perfectly. It is probably mostly on the race sponsors but the rest is probably on the field crew for WSSU.

I just want more details about your date with your first-grade teacher. Did she put you in timeout?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:59 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:19 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:56 pm
Hopefully none of those bottles hit you in the head! Might loosen a few screws.
Nope. Members of this board think they are already loose.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:08 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:30 pm

Bowman racing has a culture and cult following all of its own. As for the field I doubt it is always cleaned up perfectly. It is probably mostly on the race sponsors but the rest is probably on the field crew for WSSU.

I just want more details about your date with your first-grade teacher. Did she put you in timeout?
But

K-1st grade was a combined classroom. I think it was the first year of public K in NC or at least my county. This may have been a birthday trip. I don't remember how it all went down but I do remember going to the races and her stopping by our house to pick me up. I honestly don't remember her being with someone else but maybe there was a boyfriend with her as well.

I also remember her purchasing a wooden train set for the classroom and she let me have first play with it. It might be why I like trains so much now.

Bowman was interesting. It was fun for a one time thing but I doubt I go back anytime soon. I do want to have a go at watching drag racing in Julian and dirt track in Ronda could be fun. But also while I was watching the races I was thinking about all the carbon being burned and climate change. Mabye go to Caraway as well, as it is not far from where I live.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:14 pm

My family "Steelman racing" had multiple championships in sportsman and modified at Bowman Gray Stadium #9 Pee Wee Jones sportsman champion 1956 & 57 and Ken Rush #53 modified champion 1964 & 66.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:05 am

I am likely to either do Caraway this Saturday or maybe the drag race in Julian. The drag race is advertised as dirt and I am not sure if they are using a different area, laying down dirt the entire length or just running some of the races on dirt. I guess I could use the speaking telegraph but lots of times it is hard to get anyone to answer that contraption.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:08 pm

Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:05 am
I am likely to either do Caraway this Saturday or maybe the drag race in Julian. The drag race is advertised as dirt and I am not sure if they are using a different area, laying down dirt the entire length or just running some of the races on dirt. I guess I could use the speaking telegraph but lots of times it is hard to get anyone to answer that contraption.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFWgyi-zzmE
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:59 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:08 pm
I was setting you up to post the Ahoy hoy scene hoping you would think of it. I was trying to work in the Prussian Consulate to the Kingdom of Siam and trying to mix in the phrase autogyro, but just could not.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:59 am

Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:59 pm
AppinVA wrote:
I was setting you up to post the Ahoy hoy scene hoping you would think of it. I was trying to work in the Prussian Consulate to the Kingdom of Siam and trying to mix in the phrase autogyro, but just could not.
I love a telegraphed pitch. Could’ve gone with Maude Flanders at the race track, but I avoid that one.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:34 am

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:59 am
Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:59 pm
AppinVA wrote:
I love a telegraphed pitch. Could’ve gone with Maude Flanders at the race track, but I avoid that one.
It will always be too soon for Maude Flanders.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”