Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

McCall done

asumba95
School: Appalachian State

Re: McCall done

Unread post by asumba95 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:37 am

what are the academic standards at App to remain eligible to play sports? A certain GPA level, etc?

Wouldn't these be the same as any other NCAA school?

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:56 am

If the kid would have played here everyone would have loved him. Would have been the best thing since AE, etc, etc.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:29 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:56 am
If the kid would have played here everyone would have loved him. Would have been the best thing since AE, etc, etc.

Very true with the shoe being on the other foot, I'll admit it, he is a warrior.

Strange how some brag about APP high academic standards, but what are we known for contributing to the work force? Wish we'd make some exceptions for football since it generates the most income for the school and High Country. How many football players would that involve? Not many, less than 20?
BLACK SATURDAY

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:11 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
He would’ve gone down as an all time great at App. Maybe his attitude would’ve developed differently up here. He’s definitely a product of his former head coach. App would’ve been lucky to have him. Conversely we all would’ve hated Armanti’s guts if he’d gone to GS.

All that said, glad we don’t have to face him anymore.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:10 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:11 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
He would’ve gone down as an all time great at App. Maybe his attitude would’ve developed differently up here. He’s definitely a product of his former head coach. App would’ve been lucky to have him. Conversely we all would’ve hated Armanti’s guts if he’d gone to GS.

All that said, glad we don’t have to face him anymore.
His “attitude” would have been called swagger and we would have loved it.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:15 am

asumba95 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:37 am
what are the academic standards at App to remain eligible to play sports? A certain GPA level, etc?

Wouldn't these be the same as any other NCAA school?
I think it was 2.0 GPA when we played 10-15 years ago. Could be different now. You get plenty of help to not fail and are allowed to drop classes late if you are failing. (know from experience haha!) If you go to class, it's quite impossible to fail.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:14 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:29 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Very true with the shoe being on the other foot, I'll admit it, he is a warrior.

Strange how some brag about APP high academic standards, but what are we known for contributing to the work force? Wish we'd make some exceptions for football since it generates the most income for the school and High Country. How many football players would that involve? Not many, less than 20?
What are we known for contributing to the work force? You for real? You're asking what the school formerly named "Appalachian State Teachers College" contributes to the work force?
Google "Appalachian State" + "Teacher of the Year." You get a LOT of results.
Also, not sure how true this is now, but at my commencement ceremony Dr. Peacock showed a map of every county in NC that had an App State graduate working in county government. It was all of them.

Sorry for derailing the conversation, that question just triggered me.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:18 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:14 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

What are we known for contributing to the work force? You for real? You're asking what the school formerly named "Appalachian State Teachers College" contributes to the work force?
Also, not sure how true this is now, but at my commencement ceremony Dr. Peacock showed a map of every county in NC that had an App State graduate working in county government. It was all of them.

You forgot the TONS of law enforcement that have come through the Criminal Justice program there. So many APP State folks out here!

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:43 pm

Don’t forget the many people in banking and other sectors who came through the business school. As for teachers…pretty much every school in western North Carolina has many App State graduates among their faculty. Law enforcement is a growing segment of the grads and nursing’s on the rise as well.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:03 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Yes, I'm for real lol. Nice of Peacock for pointing those facts. Obviously, we are a teacher's college, which everyone knows. Why can't we make exceptions for a few FOOTBALL players that pay the bills for everyone else? Lots of these same players are teachers after they are done playing, some aren't.

Clemson great, football coach Frank Howard once said he had to take his scholars to play Alabama's football players when referring to the discrepancy in admission standards. My point is wishing we could do some relaxing of admission for the guys that pay the bills at APP and the High Country. We weren't able to sign some key positions this past offseason.

Also, understand we've denied credit for players from some higher brow universities too
BLACK SATURDAY

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:36 pm

He allegedly had academic issues coming to App and transfering to Auburn. Glad he didn't come to Boone.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:57 pm

People can say whatever they want about McCall but he was a hell of a college football quarterback the likes of which the Sun Belt has not seen much of at all. It is sad that he can no longer play the game because of injuries.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:43 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:03 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Yes, I'm for real lol. Nice of Peacock for pointing those facts. Obviously, we are a teacher's college, which everyone knows. Why can't we make exceptions for a few FOOTBALL players that pay the bills for everyone else? Lots of these same players are teachers after they are done playing, some aren't.

Clemson great, football coach Frank Howard once said he had to take his scholars to play Alabama's football players when referring to the discrepancy in admission standards. My point is wishing we could do some relaxing of admission for the guys that pay the bills at APP and the High Country. We weren't able to sign some key positions this past offseason.

Also, understand we've denied credit for players from some higher brow universities too
I agree that something should be done about how App handles transfer credits. However, I don’t agree with lowering academic standards. The VAST majority of these young men will not play pro ball, and they need a degree as well as the education that comes with it for life after football.
They already provide all kinds of tutoring and extra help for athletes. There’s no excuse for a football player who can’t stay academically eligible.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:18 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:43 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

I agree that something should be done about how App handles transfer credits. However, I don’t agree with lowering academic standards. The VAST majority of these young men will not play pro ball, and they need a degree as well as the education that comes with it for life after football.
They already provide all kinds of tutoring and extra help for athletes. There’s no excuse for a football player who can’t stay academically eligible.
I say we bring them in and give them a chance
BLACK SATURDAY

Apps03

Unread post by Apps03 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:02 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:18 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

Big fan of giving the opportunity but a line has to be drawn somewhere. I think there is a debate to be had where that line is but...

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:35 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:57 pm
People can say whatever they want about McCall but he was a hell of a college football quarterback the likes of which the Sun Belt has not seen much of at all. It is sad that he can no longer play the game because of injuries.
Indeed. The crazy thing is if he could have come out after the 2020 season he likely is a high round pick but now he might be lucky to get drafted. I expect him to get a combine invite and go to the Shrine Game but I also think he could go undrafted, which is sad for a player of his talent.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:21 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:35 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Indeed. The crazy thing is if he could have come out after the 2020 season he likely is a high round pick but now he might be lucky to get drafted. I expect him to get a combine invite and go to the Shrine Game but I also think he could go undrafted, which is sad for a player of his talent.
McCall had plenty of opportunities to run and didn't in the matchup this year (quite possibly to protect against further injuries and concussions) Personally, without his legs, I don't think he's NFL quality. And, even if he was, he's probably too fragile to warrant a draft pick.

This in no way belittles his college career or how good he was in that offense in 2020/2021. I just don't know that he has the health to create/endure an NFL career.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:52 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:21 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:35 pm
t4pizza wrote:
McCall had plenty of opportunities to run and didn't in the matchup this year (quite possibly to protect against further injuries and concussions) Personally, without his legs, I don't think he's NFL quality. And, even if he was, he's probably too fragile to warrant a draft pick.

This in no way belittles his college career or how good he was in that offense in 2020/2021. I just don't know that he has the health to create/endure an NFL career.
Agreed. He can't stay healthy and hasn't been the same. I really don't expect him to get drafted. If he is drafted it would likely be very late because a team is taking a flyer on a potential practice squad guy. I wonder how he would have done if he had gone with Chadwell though.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:32 am

Apps03 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:02 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Big fan of giving the opportunity but a line has to be drawn somewhere. I think there is a debate to be had where that line is but...
I agree. It brings up a lot of questions and continues the debate of how athletic programs should function within higher education institutions. Like, if the football program is part of Appalachian State University, how is it fair that athletes have lower admissions requirements than normal students? In my opinion, since athletes now have the opportunity to make money and transfer as easily as normal students, they should be required to meet and maintain the academic standards of normal students. If you argue, "well, then ease the standards for all students," then that devalues the degree. If you're getting a useless degree, what's the point of the degree at all? Now, if you wanted to completely separate athletics from the university and just share a name and logo, that's a whole different animal.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:37 am

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:32 am
Apps03 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:02 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

I agree. It brings up a lot of questions and continues the debate of how athletic programs should function within higher education institutions. Like, if the football program is part of Appalachian State University, how is it fair that athletes have lower admissions requirements than normal students? In my opinion, since athletes now have the opportunity to make money and transfer as easily as normal students, they should be required to meet and maintain the academic standards of normal students. If you argue, "well, then ease the standards for all students," then that devalues the degree. If you're getting a useless degree, what's the point of the degree at all? Now, if you wanted to completely separate athletics from the university and just share a name and logo, that's a whole different animal.
That’s a bridge too far for me.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”