Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Bowl announcements for other schools

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Bowl announcements for other schools

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:55 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:45 pm
OK - I have watched a lot today and here's my question to you guys - The ultimate goal is to pick the 4 BEST teams - have they always done that? - No
Different members this year - One criteria - give me your 4 BEST teams right now -
FSU was an undefeated conference champion. They beat everyone put in front of them. They won the league championship game with a 3rd string true freshman. Was it pretty? No. Given that they wouldn’t play for 4 weeks, it is fair to say that Rodemaker would be back. I would have put in Michigan -Washington - FSU and Texas. In that order.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:19 pm

I agree totally with what you said about FSU - I watched them a lot this season and really liked them - the question is best 4 teams right now -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:37 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:19 pm
I agree totally with what you said about FSU - I watched them a lot this season and really liked them - the question is best 4 teams right now -
I listened to the radio call of the ACC game on my way back from Troy. The on field reporter said that in mock committees that he did, they were instructed to follow criteria such as 1) conference championship and 2) head to head. Injuries weren’t not to be factored in to equations.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:42 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:45 pm
OK - I have watched a lot today and here's my question to you guys - The ultimate goal is to pick the 4 BEST teams - have they always done that? - No
Different members this year - One criteria - give me your 4 BEST teams right now -
Michigan
Washington
Texas
Bama.

Think they got it right.
UGA would be favored over everyone but maybe Bama or Michigan too outside looking in. Really unfortunate for Florida State.

12 teams is needed so no one gets left out. Really should do 8 but 12 is fine, gives us a better chance!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:52 pm

RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:14 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:54 pm
RaleighApp27609 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:11 pm
Boonegoon wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:06 pm
Florida State was robbed.
Losing their starting QB and their SoS relative to Alabama's probably did them in.
It shouldn’t have and that’s the issue. No P5 conference champ has ever not earned a trip to the CFP. I understand the point about losing your QB but what about the rest of the team?
I know you meant to say it, but no “undefeated” P5…….

And the whole “losing your QB” is BS. They beat a quality opponent with their 3rd String QB. That should be even more reason to put them in.

Tis a circus controlled by puppeteers.
Sorry but FSU would have been curb stomped by Michigan or Washington had the Seminoles made it. Without their original QB only exacerbates the issue.
That's pure speculation and why you play the games. They earned the chance and it was taken away by a committee.

Washington had a great year, but it's last 9 wins have been 10 points or less, including an eight point win over 3-9 Arizona, a nine point win over 3-9 Stanford and a three point win over 5-7 Washington State. They haven't "curb stomped" anyone since their conference opener against Cal.

Michigan has three quality wins. (Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa). Florida State is 14th in total defense, so there's no guarantee that Michigan would win or even win by a big margin. Alabama struggled against the bottom half of the SEC West. If Florida State would get curb stomped, why wouldn't Alabama have the same result?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:39 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:34 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:31 pm
Boonegoon wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:27 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:10 pm
Boonegoon wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:06 pm
Florida State was robbed.
You’ve got $1k to bet Florida State vs Alabama head to head on a neutral field. Who are you taking?
I get it. Their only common opponent they handled similarly. Auburn takes care of that punt we aren’t having this conversation. I just think punishing a team after they took care of business is crappy.
It sucks. Glad we are moving to 12 teams. Some will still feel left out, but it’ll be conversations about 2-3 loss teams. Which at that point we can at least say “win your games” and feel good about it.
It should be 16 with at least 7 conference champions.
Exactly. Right now it is an invitational tournament not a play off.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:05 am

bcoach wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:39 pm
ericsaid wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:10 pm

You’ve got $1k to bet Florida State vs Alabama head to head on a neutral field. Who are you taking?
I get it. Their only common opponent they handled similarly. Auburn takes care of that punt we aren’t having this conversation. I just think punishing a team after they took care of business is crappy.
It sucks. Glad we are moving to 12 teams. Some will still feel left out, but it’ll be conversations about 2-3 loss teams. Which at that point we can at least say “win your games” and feel good about it.
Bottom line what they have now is an invitational tournament. It will never be a true playoff until there are automatic conference qualifiers. Even then, until every FBS conference gets an automatic bid it is still an invitational tournament. Had they done that to begin with the PAC12 would not have folded nor the Big 12 imploded. Heck it may have saved the BIG EAST.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:30 am

Since records don't matter and it should be based off the best 4 teams...

Oklahoma was not better than UGA in 2019, but they couldn't give two SEC teams the bid because of the optics of a two loss SEC runner up getting in over a one loss Big 12 winner.

Cincinnati was not better than the Ohio State team in 2021, but again, an undefeated G5 school over a two loss P5 school.

However it's also kind of funny because Liberty got in only because of their record. Weakest schedule in all of football, and if you watched them compared to some other G5 schools, you'd see that they are really nothing special nor the best.

Guarantee you the committee hardly watches any of the Liberty games this season, and would be willing to bet they didn't even really tune in this past Friday. They put little effort into anything beyond trying to create a playoff scenario weeks before the final rankings. Assuming Oregon doesn't have a lot of guys sit the bowl game, it should be a complete destruction.

It's hard to say would Alabama beat FSU. Maybe. Not many thought TCU would beat Michigan the way they did last year so anything can happen. I can say that I didn't see anything from Alabama this year that blew me away or thought they are untouchable, and would not be surprised that with a month to prepare if Michigan doesn't put together something defensively to limit and contain Milroe.

The days of the SEC being a gauntlet schedule are no more in my opinion, yet the teams are still ranked higher than they deserve and the media treats it like it's the former days. As a result the top two or three each year are crowned as if they played an NFL type schedule.

The days of UGA, Tennessee, Florida, and South Carolina all being strong in the east as well as LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, and Ole Miss being huge threats and tough in the west are no more.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:41 am

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:05 am
bcoach wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:39 pm
ericsaid wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Boonegoon wrote:

Bottom line what they have now is an invitational tournament. It will never be a true playoff until there are automatic conference qualifiers. Even then, until every FBS conference gets an automatic bid it is still an invitational tournament. Had they done that to begin with the PAC12 would not have folded nor the Big 12 imploded. Heck it may have saved the BIG EAST.
It really is as what put on display when the head of the committee was interviewed today about the logic to the rankings. Basically translated to we watched yesterday's game with your third string QB (Who won't even be the starter in the bowl game) and determined Alabama will give a better matchup. I can't think of any other sport in NCAA that uses random logic that changes year to year when basically making at-larger selections. Because what this playoff format currently is and has been, without true defined guidelines is four at-large bids.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:12 am

Going forward it's going to be all about attrition and depth for football. The best G5 will have to play a daunting schedule to include probably 2 good P5 teams. Since those teams are scheduled years in advance you simply don't know how good they will be. Is Clemson going to return to form next season? Will we face a 14-0 Liberty or one coming off of a whipping by Oregon? No telling how the Portal will affect all of the Belt teams. The G5 representative will probably have to either run the table or at the very least win their P5 games and absolutely win their CCG. After those 13 games they have to hope that injuries don't wreck their depth.

I like the idea of giving 4 teams a bye. I'd always thought the best playoff format is to award the byes which keeps a premium on the regular season. Then take the next 8 and do elimination games after the CCG's. The final 8 play in the 4 big bowls on NY's day. No matter how it's done the season will just be too long.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:29 am

I heard this morning that the 12 team playoff was scheduled to start this season but the ACC and a couple of others vetoed it because of the mess with Oklahoma and Texas -
12 team setup can't get here too soon -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:46 am

2 things to remember come playoff time every year.

1. The "College Football Playoff" is not an NCAA sanctioned championship. That's why it's not called the FBS NCAA Championship, and they don't give out the same NCAA trophies that they give to every other sport. It's literally an invitational tournament run by large corporations.

2. The CFP Committee is scheduling title fights, not picking undefeated teams. Because of #1, they want the 4 teams that will provide the best entertainment, not necessarily the 4 teams that deserve it.

Is this a huge load of BS? Sure, but that's the way it is.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:47 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:29 am
I heard this morning that the 12 team playoff was scheduled to start this season but the ACC and a couple of others vetoed it because of the mess with Oklahoma and Texas -
12 team setup can't get here too soon -
Shot themselves in the foot with that one. I saw that too.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:20 am

Anyone who thinks that FSU is actually worthy will get their chance to see how wrong they are when FSU plays UGA in the Orange Bowl. Anyone really want to bet FSU, regardless of the spread, against UGA? Hell, UGA has a much better argument that they are actually one of the 4 best teams in the country than FSU does. And before I get a bunch of flack, I said "best teams" not "most deserving teams". It sucks that FSU is the odd man out but there is some poetic justice that it was their AD (along with the Big 12 and Pac 12) who torpedoed the 12 team playoff starting this year. I don't think FSU is among the 4 best teams and if that is the goal than they don't deserve to be in. Georgia will beat FSU and Bama will probably win the title this year.

RaleighApp27609

Unread post by RaleighApp27609 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:25 am

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:20 am
...It sucks that FSU is the odd man out but there is some poetic justice that it was their AD (along with the Big 12 and Pac 12) who torpedoed the 12 team playoff starting this year....
I wasn't aware of that. Makes me actually want to be a Georgia fan for only this game.

Parks&RecAPP

Unread post by Parks&RecAPP » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:32 am

FSU's defense will keep it close until the second half.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:37 am

Parks&RecAPP wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:32 am
FSU could win it. Georgia doesn't care and will have 10-15 sit out. FSU might not care for that matter either as they feel they've been snubbed.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:51 am

311neers wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:37 am
Parks&RecAPP wrote:
FSU could win it. Georgia doesn't care and will have 10-15 sit out. FSU might not care for that matter either as they feel they've been snubbed.
I think they’ll have a chip on their shoulder because of the snub and come out swinging.

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:13 pm

VNova wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:51 am
311neers wrote:
Parks&RecAPP wrote:
I think they’ll have a chip on their shoulder because of the snub and come out swinging.
Truth is we will never know. UGA beats them the narrative is FSU mailed it in and vice versa. There are only 4 teams playing for something more than pride and in this day and age, I don't think pride cuts it all that much.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:33 pm

Boonegoon wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:13 pm
VNova wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:51 am
311neers wrote:
Parks&RecAPP wrote:
Truth is we will never know. UGA beats them the narrative is FSU mailed it in and vice versa. There are only 4 teams playing for something more than pride and in this day and age, I don't think pride cuts it all that much.
Yes, and that part sucks. Would be a really good game to see UGA and FSU playing for something. I think FSU has a big chip to carry around for a season or 2.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”