Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Spurrier retiring

Saint3333

Re: Spurrier retiring

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:09 am

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for Shawn. He's in a tough spot, he doesn't have the talent to win more than 2 games remaining on their schedule, much less the four games it would take to go bowling (Vandy, Florida, A&M, UTk, Citadel, Clemson). The fanbase will want a bigger "name" if he can't upset at least one of them I fear and the new coach may want his guys.

Good luck Shawn, I'm pulling for you, shock the CFB world.

appchicago
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appchicago » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:13 am

AppSt94 wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:Wonder if the AD gave him the option to retire with dignity or be fired with humility.
If the AD gave that ultimatum, then they should be the next one gone.
The Gamecocks AD is baseball coaching legend Ray Tanner, who took the team to six College World Series, two of which they won. I don't see him giving that ultimatum, and I don't see him going anywhere.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:14 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:
spong wrote:congratulations to Shawn Elliott. It's nice to see another App State guy serving as head coach even if it is just for an interim period.

Shawn Elliott's name came up for the App State job when Scott Satterfield was hired although he didn't offically interview for it. There's a real chance Coach Satterfield has some other schools a-knockin' for his services after this season or over the next few seasons. If we need to look for a new head coach I hope Shawn Elliott is one of the 1st people we call.
He just signed a 5-year extension though. If he goes anywhere soon it's because the program collapses, which hopefully won't happen.
Or if a "decent" P5 comes calling in the next couple of years. Loyalty will be tested. The contract really doesn't mean much if a P5 wants him. The contract really only means something for us (in case we wanted to dismiss SS for some reason other than those contractually allowed) and other G5's (if they wanted to try and poach). I'm not sure what the buyout is but I imagine most P5's would just have to pass the plate around the office once to take care of it.
Bingo. Brant Wilkerson-New posted the buyout clause yesterday, and I believe it was in the $400K range. If any P5 decides Satt's their guy and he wants the job, they can pay that with the change in their couch.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:18 am

As for Elliott as a potential future App HC, I think this is good for both sides in that it gives us (and anyone else, of course) a shot to see how he does as HC. I'm trying to think of how many successful HCs came from an OL background. There may be some, but it seems like a rarity. Sometimes the guy who gets the team fired up before games isn't the guy who's best to run a program.

Doesn't mean Elliott couldn't do it, but I do wonder. Now we'll get a chance to see, and he'll get a chance, albeit a limited one, to show what he can do.

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:26 am

He is getting mixed reviews from that whacked out fan base. Some don't think very highly of him and others think he could be their Dabo. Good luck and best wishes to Shawn. I hope he does well.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:50 am

Shawn is now on a slippery slope. I wish him the best!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Shawn played at Camden HS and was a member of our North All Star football team in 1990. I was the athletic trainer for that team so I saw early on what type of a) person that he is; b) what type of player he is; and c) the type of competitor he is. USC has a really good interim HC now and I hope Shawn takes the reins and leads the Gamecocks to many wins. If the legislators in Cola will keep their collective noses out of Willy Brice and stay in the state house then things can turn around. OTherwise, the program will IMO revert to the old ways before SS. Good Luck Shawn Elliott!!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:01 pm

HkyMtneer wrote: The contract really doesn't mean much if a P5 wants him. The contract really only means something for us (in case we wanted to dismiss SS for some reason other than those contractually allowed) and other G5's (if they wanted to try and poach).
Hky:
You are correct. An employment contract protects the employee far more than the employer, for one simple reason that few think about. Slavery was outlawed in 1865.

Just wanted to re-state the obvious.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:30 pm

We can't pay a head coach what he is capable of making as an assistant. There are also some down there who would like this interim made permanent.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:16 pm

bcoach wrote:We can't pay a head coach what he is capable of making as an assistant. There are also some down there who would like this interim made permanent.
I'd love to see that for him, and I know there's some support now and will be more if the Gamecocks can show a little spark. But most of the chatter I see is focused on cats like Kirby Smart, Tom Herman, Justin Fuente, etc.

spong

Unread post by spong » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:17 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
spong wrote:congratulations to Shawn Elliott. It's nice to see another App State guy serving as head coach even if it is just for an interim period.

Shawn Elliott's name came up for the App State job when Scott Satterfield was hired although he didn't offically interview for it. There's a real chance Coach Satterfield has some other schools a-knockin' for his services after this season or over the next few seasons. If we need to look for a new head coach I hope Shawn Elliott is one of the 1st people we call.
If, IF, SS does move on (in whatever form in the next couple of years) I believe that unless we are willing to take Satt's new contract, double it, and add some more, then I'm afraid the "call Shawn Elliott" ship has sailed. Yes, we could pull the Roy Williams move ("we're calling your number coach, it's time to come home") and maybe move the heartstrings but unless we're offering more than ULL is currently giving Hudspeth I'm not so sure it would matter.
You have coaches like Everett Withers(who has App State ties) that was a high profile P5 assistant that had the chance to be an interm HC, did okay at Carolina all things considered, and ended up eventually landing as the HC at James Madison.

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Finish!!!Finish Strong!!! We're with ya.Go Shawn.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:36 pm

Well I am sure in his corner. Shawn is just a really good guy. As fired up as he can be he can also be smooth as silk. Just a class act. I won't go into the story but he handled a situation one night when he was still playing that both cracked me up and showed me how well he could handle a situation.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Wow, Spurrier is gone. Congrats to Shawn, wish him the best.I know he'll handle this well but wow what a tight spot. "Who's House?"

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:30 pm

Apptiger wrote:Wow, Spurrier is gone. Congrats to Shawn, wish him the best.I know he'll handle this well but wow what a tight spot. "Who's House?"
OUR house!

As I've sat here wrapping up the last of the tax returns for 2014 (yep, extensions), I've been hearing Shawn's voice all day ... FINISH! FINISH STRONG!

Hope he does well at interim. Even though he's taking over a sinking ship and every win will be sweet, it will be tough to follow a "legend".
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”