Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Spurrier retiring

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Spurrier retiring

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Unclear if it's immediate or effective at the end of the year:
http://www.si.com/college-football/2015 ... ier-retire

Assuming it's true, that's USC and the other USC opening up on the same day, right after Maryland. Did December get here while I wasn't looking?

Edit: ESPN now saying he's retiring immediately, with an interim HC to be named Wednesday. Wonder if there's any chance it's Elliott? Or would they hand it over to Spurrier Jr.?

DaphneUrquhart

Re: Spurrier retiring

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:39 pm

ESPN says it's immediate ... according to sources.

Of course, as I sit here busting out the last of the tax returns, the first thought that came to my mind was that he turned 70 in April. That means he's 70 1/2 and is now required to take required minimum distributions from his IRA's and such. Sure, he could delay this year's RMD to next year, but then he'd have to double up the RMD's next year. Yep ... I need a life. :lol:
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:03 pm

Football Scoop is tweeting that Elliot will be interim:
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/?hbc3

South Carolina: Steve Spurrier is retiring according to Sports Illustrated. FootballScoop has confirmed the news. Offensive line coach Shawn Elliott will serve as interim head coach, according to Alex Marvez.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:09 pm

I sincerely hope that health is not forcing this decision to retire now. However, if it's not then his legacy will be tarnished. Why would you quit on your team mid year?

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:14 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:ESPN says it's immediate ... according to sources.

Of course, as I sit here busting out the last of the tax returns, the first thought that came to my mind was that he turned 70 in April. That means he's 70 1/2 and is now required to take required minimum distributions from his IRA's and such. Sure, he could delay this year's RMD to next year, but then he'd have to double up the RMD's next year. Yep ... I need a life. :lol:
Spurrier seems more of a Roth IRA kind of guy to me. Avoid those RMDs.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:16 pm

Wonder if the AD gave him the option to retire with dignity or be fired with humility.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:21 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:Wonder if the AD gave him the option to retire with dignity or be fired with humility.
If the AD gave that ultimatum, then they should be the next one gone.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:23 pm

newtoasu wrote:Football Scoop is tweeting that Elliot will be interim:
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/?hbc3

South Carolina: Steve Spurrier is retiring according to Sports Illustrated. FootballScoop has confirmed the news. Offensive line coach Shawn Elliott will serve as interim head coach, according to Alex Marvez.
Would be a nice opportunity for Elliott. Finish decently strong and he could be a candidate for a HC job, if not there then elsewhere.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:27 pm

If Elliott wins a couple games this year he'll probably get a look but I wouldn't give him a great chance at getting the job. Not many guys go from line coach to head coach in the SEC.

twitter.com/diesel933
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:30 pm

Why would Spurrier quit?

They're 2-4 and Augusta National is now open for the season. Just a hunch. Good luck Shawn!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:39 pm

The State is saying interim is to be the qb coach, not Shawn

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:59 pm

APPdiesel wrote:If Elliott wins a couple games this year he'll probably get a look but I wouldn't give him a great chance at getting the job. Not many guys go from line coach to head coach in the SEC.

twitter.com/diesel933
In title at least, he's not just line coach but co-OC, though what that means on a Spurrier-coached team I'm not sure. Agreed he'd be a long shot for that job, but a smaller job might be realistic if he does well. Of course if the other guy gets the job then this is all moot.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:17 pm

App91 wrote:The State is saying interim is to be the qb coach, not Shawn
Yeah, just reported on Greenville news here in SC that GA Mangum (qb coach) will be interim named tomorrow. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

HBTApps

Unread post by HBTApps » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:19 am

Just saw on ESPN that Shawn will be the coach the remainder of the season. Great news for him. Still hard to say, but Go GameCocks!

clayton

Unread post by clayton » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:24 am

It's Elliott.

spong

Unread post by spong » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:58 am

congratulations to Shawn Elliott. It's nice to see another App State guy serving as head coach even if it is just for an interim period.

Shawn Elliott's name came up for the App State job when Scott Satterfield was hired although he didn't offically interview for it. There's a real chance Coach Satterfield has some other schools a-knockin' for his services after this season or over the next few seasons. If we need to look for a new head coach I hope Shawn Elliott is one of the 1st people we call.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:30 am

spong wrote:congratulations to Shawn Elliott. It's nice to see another App State guy serving as head coach even if it is just for an interim period.

Shawn Elliott's name came up for the App State job when Scott Satterfield was hired although he didn't offically interview for it. There's a real chance Coach Satterfield has some other schools a-knockin' for his services after this season or over the next few seasons. If we need to look for a new head coach I hope Shawn Elliott is one of the 1st people we call.
If, IF, SS does move on (in whatever form in the next couple of years) I believe that unless we are willing to take Satt's new contract, double it, and add some more, then I'm afraid the "call Shawn Elliott" ship has sailed. Yes, we could pull the Roy Williams move ("we're calling your number coach, it's time to come home") and maybe move the heartstrings but unless we're offering more than ULL is currently giving Hudspeth I'm not so sure it would matter.

Rick0714

Unread post by Rick0714 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:36 am

spong wrote:congratulations to Shawn Elliott. It's nice to see another App State guy serving as head coach even if it is just for an interim period.

If SS ever does leave ASU, I would love to see Elliot as our HC. However, he's been a very quiet "hot commodity" for a while now as a OL and OC candidate with some major schools and I just see that expending now. I would think he would be busy if and when that opportunity ever came up ... but I hope not! If the day ever comes when SS is no longer the HC, then I would have to think the short list would be Elliot and Lonnie Galloway.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:47 am

He just signed a 5-year extension though. If he goes anywhere soon it's because the program collapses, which hopefully won't happen.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:56 am

hotrod2001 wrote:

He just signed a 5-year extension though. If he goes anywhere soon it's because the program collapses, which hopefully won't happen.
Or if a "decent" P5 comes calling in the next couple of years. Loyalty will be tested. The contract really doesn't mean much if a P5 wants him. The contract really only means something for us (in case we wanted to dismiss SS for some reason other than those contractually allowed) and other G5's (if they wanted to try and poach). I'm not sure what the buyout is but I imagine most P5's would just have to pass the plate around the office once to take care of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”