Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

“The Sunbelt game of the year”

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
CVAPP
School: Appalachian State

Re: “The Sunbelt game of the year”

Unread post by CVAPP » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:28 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:21 pm
Despite the loss Napier is an excellent coach. I can see him perhaps at South Carolina next year , or somewhere similar.
He wouldn't be able to beat an App team there either, but he could avoid losing to them as often.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:46 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:08 pm
Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion but folks who keep saying that App hasn’t looked good are really being way too critical especially considering the circumstances. We beat what really isn’t an awful Charlotte team, in crappy weather by 15. We were really in control. Game was played in the rain, with a new staff, after jacked up practices in an empty stadium. A wee bit of slack here. Admittedly we sucked on offense at Marshall but again they ain’t horrible and were at home. Unless many have forgotten we had a crapload of guys out for Campbell who again, isn’t horrible for an FCS team. We crushed them. Would I have liked to seen better results at Marshall? Hell yes. But the sample size is way too limited. A one loss season last year with another conference championship and bowl win and the close win over Charlotte was long forgotten.
I agree. I know it was an FCS team, but we had a lot of young guys play well against Campbell. That should bode well going forward. It never hurts for some starters to get pushed a little.

Also, after three weeks off, I expect some rust going next Thursday. Between injuries, COVID and days without practice, this game is almost like the first game of the season 2.0

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:17 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:46 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:08 pm
Everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion but folks who keep saying that App hasn’t looked good are really being way too critical especially considering the circumstances. We beat what really isn’t an awful Charlotte team, in crappy weather by 15. We were really in control. Game was played in the rain, with a new staff, after jacked up practices in an empty stadium. A wee bit of slack here. Admittedly we sucked on offense at Marshall but again they ain’t horrible and were at home. Unless many have forgotten we had a crapload of guys out for Campbell who again, isn’t horrible for an FCS team. We crushed them. Would I have liked to seen better results at Marshall? Hell yes. But the sample size is way too limited. A one loss season last year with another conference championship and bowl win and the close win over Charlotte was long forgotten.
I agree. I know it was an FCS team, but we had a lot of young guys play well against Campbell. That should bode well going forward. It never hurts for some starters to get pushed a little.

Also, after three weeks off, I expect some rust going next Thursday. Between injuries, COVID and days without practice, this game is almost like the first game of the season 2.0
Speaking of the young guys, I was impressed with local/Watauga High grad Anderson Castle. And, he wears my favorite number 44, as in 44 Riggo.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:32 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 pm
Hate to say this But this is a throwaway year.....
I hate to agree with you. If I were Clark and I knew a large majority of the seniors wanted to return again next year for another senior campaign, I would make it very clear to those players as long as the team was still in the running they would continue playing to try and keep the conference champ streak alive.

Assuming App losses a couple of games and is no longer mathematically in the conference chase, I'd wave the white flag on the season. I'd sit all the returning seniors I could and get as much playing time for the younger players so they have real game experience going into next season. In no way am I championing the staff "throwing the season" but if the team has no shot, I'd take the lumps this year playing the younger guys in hopes of building quality depth moving into next year and beyond.
Last edited by moonshine on Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:50 pm

Just my opinion but I don't think there is any scenario where a white flag is raised and starters are benched in order to build for the future. App will complete in each and every game with the intent to win....regardless. I still believe we can win the conference again, but there are just so many crazy variables this year that I do think people should temper those expectations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”