Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

No surprise here: ULM Coach fired

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
Appstrong
School: Appalachian State

No surprise here: ULM Coach fired

Unread post by Appstrong » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:56 pm

Wonder who ULM will consider for the position? I’m sure some of you would give Petersen a good reference. Of course I’m kidding ;)

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... ead-coach/

Bootsy

Re: No surprise here

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:33 pm

ULM is a mystery. At what point do their AD, Chancellor, Bayou Benny and them look at each other and say, "Y'all, enough is enough. time to roll back down to FCS."

A 20 year experience in D-1/FBS with few highs and a lot of lows. And if that wasn't enough, can't they see they're a perennial boat anchor for the already dicey Sun Belt's reputation?

And by the way...the 1950's just called. They said ULM's color combo and uniform design used to look good but went out of style when players started wearing leather helmets. Those uni's look like they were designed by a middle school dropout who just learned how to wear shoes and socks. The uniforms by itself should be enough for the Sun Belt to banish them from the conference.

OK, I'm gonna shut up now.

Yosefus

Re: No surprise here: ULM Coach fired

Unread post by Yosefus » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:36 pm

In my lifetime of almost 58 years I don't ever recall horrible records like that at App. Even in my day we had Mack then Sparky were at least .500 or better with an all star back and linebacker. Hard to imagine not having that and 3 FCS titles and wreaking havoc since entering the Sunbelt. Hell, we are ALL flipping out over 3 losses in a very screwed up year. 7-5 worst case scenario this year doesn't sound so bad now. Of course I will flip out if Stink beats us 3 in a row. Just sayin

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:18 pm

If you list and rank the Louisiana football programs:

LSU
ULa
Tulane ?
La Tech
Any FCS (McNeese or Nichols)?
Monroe

If you leave out any FCS they are the number 5 FBS team in the state and the gap between them and 4 is huge. Is there any other Sunbelt team who is the number 5 or worse program in their state. We have far better programs in NC but over the past several years we are easily 3rd or 4th.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:38 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:18 pm

LSU
ULa
Tulane ?
La Tech
Monroe

If you leave out any FCS they are the number 5 FBS team in the state and the gap between them and 4 is huge. Is there any other Sunbelt team who is the number 5 or worse program in their state. We have far better programs in NC but over the past several years we are easily 3rd or 4th.
I would say 2, 3 and 4 are a toss up over time and the order changes year to year. This year UL is a solid #2 and the gap from LSU isn't all that big.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:14 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:38 am
bigdaddyg wrote:

LSU
ULa
Tulane ?
La Tech
Monroe

I would say 2, 3 and 4 are a toss up over time and the order changes year to year. This year UL is a solid #2 and the gap from LSU isn't all that big.
Agree. I wasn’t so much trying to rank the top 4 as much as pointing out that ULM is solidly 5 or lower if any FCS programs in La are ahead of them. They are clearly 5th at best in the state. What will it take for them to climb the ladder?

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:26 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:14 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:38 am
bigdaddyg wrote:

LSU
ULa
Tulane ?
La Tech
Monroe

Agree. I wasn’t so much trying to rank the top 4 as much as pointing out that ULM is solidly 5 or lower if any FCS programs in La are ahead of them. They are clearly 5th at best in the state. What will it take for them to climb the ladder?
Money, lots of money.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:32 am

They were 5-7 and 6-6 in the previous two years. It actually seemed like he was moving ULM in the right direction before this season's disaster. And, unlike Ga State and Texas State, and UL and CCU before this year, they had actually beaten us once.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:43 am

From a budget perspective they should drop down but I doubt they will.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:57 am

COVID related financial impacts may force their hand to move down. In the event that were to happen to ULM, who would you like to see fill their spot. Political and religious affiliations aside, would you guys see Liberty as an appealing replacement? They definitely had the money prior to the pandemic and have shown a desire to field a competitive program.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:21 am

Appstrong wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:57 am
COVID related financial impacts may force their hand to move down. In the event that were to happen to ULM, who would you like to see fill their spot. Political and religious affiliations aside, would you guys see Liberty as an appealing replacement? They definitely had the money prior to the pandemic and have shown a desire to field a competitive program.
The thing is, you can't discount or put those things aside. For that reason, I want nothing to do with Liberty.

Bring on James Madison, if they have the desire to move up. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the other options are. You have to have a school that wants to either move up (and who would want to make that financial commitment right now?), or a school that wants to leave their current conference.

Oh crap, this is gonna be another "hypothetical regional conference" threads, isn't it? Time for me to peace out.
Give 'em hell!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:13 am

And Clark tried to throw their coach a bone by telling Peterson not to throw in second half of that game. Isn’t that the game he made that statement?

We sacrificed our productivity and potential team improvement for nothing. He got fired anyway.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:27 am

James Who?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”