Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sun Belt Game Cancelled

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Sun Belt Game Cancelled

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:16 pm

NDavidsonApp wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:06 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:13 pm
citroknight wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:48 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:17 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:57 pm
CCU wins here. Unless Cincy lost they weren’t going to make the NY6 auto bid. They had more to lose and lost an OL and LB in the Troy game.

ULL already landed in SC...
That is what I'm thinking. Cincy should not drop below CCU unless they lose big time here. A team should not vault up without actually playing a game.
Idk if I see the committee having that kind of mercy on a G5 losing to a G5. Cincy would probably drop behind CC if they lost.

But let's say they lose and don't drop behind CC. Coastal still gets the G5 autobid over Cincy because to qualify you have to be a G5 conference champ, which Cincy wouldn't be. If Cincy still stays in the top 12 (which again, I doubt), then maaaybe they have a chance as an at large but they may be out by 1 or 2 spots.
I agree but I'm just saying a team should not move up if they don't play. If we were in that situation then I would say completely fair for Cincy to say we should not move up. I'm just saying that teams should not be rewarded for not playing. CCU had a great year and we are getting robbed of a great game for sure.
The important thing to remember is that the highest ranked G5 champion makes it into the NY6. If Cincinnati loses on Saturday, they will not be the champion of the AAC and I don't see Tulsa jumping Coastal.
That is true and if I'm the AAC commissioner I would not want their game played now so they don't lose out on the NY6 since Cincy would be the pick if neither team plays and is co-champs.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:21 pm

Stop trying to make this out to more than it is. Coastal is not scared of playing this game and just made up this COVID excuse. We can dislike them without creating conspiracies and making stuff up. I believe there's been enough disinformation in the last month that we don't need to add to it.

If I recall we went a month without playing but I don't remember anyone here claiming we were ducking UL and Ga Southern until we would be healthier. I think UL had a great chance to win the title and would have been pulling for them but I don't think Coastal is ducking them.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:26 pm

ULL played CCU the first time missing 6 players following covid protocol. CCU has a position coach with it.

No spin, read that how you'd like.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:32 pm

I can't recall but it seems like we played a game this year with multiple coaches and players having to sit out due to Covid quarantine. Am I remembering that correctly?

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:37 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:21 pm
Stop trying to make this out to more than it is. Coastal is not scared of playing this game and just made up this COVID excuse. We can dislike them without creating conspiracies and making stuff up. I believe there's been enough disinformation in the last month that we don't need to add to it.

If I recall we went a month without playing but I don't remember anyone here claiming we were ducking UL and Ga Southern until we would be healthier. I think UL had a great chance to win the title and would have been pulling for them but I don't think Coastal is ducking them.
Agreed, way to many conspiracy theories making the rounds; I didn't intend to add to those. I have little doubt there are covid-19 cases impacting their team, heck most of the people I know who have gotten the virus, contracted it in Myrtle Beach. What I'm saying is we already have information regarding their moaning and groaning (at least on their boards) about having to play Troy because the outcome meant nothing while complaining about the unfair advantage ULL had with a Bye week. It's not hard to imagine they could feel personnel losses would impact their ability to perform and diminish their prospects of remaining undefeated. I'd like to see them both play at full strength too but sometimes you have to go with what you have. Now, I'm left with disappointment and a need for something to fill 3.5 hours on my calendar this Saturday.

As far as us ducking ULL and GS; we didn't..we knew we would be playing them... i guess you could apply the same argument to us (rescheduling) I made regarding Coastal not wanted to play at less than full strength but I have a hard time seeing us complaining (especially our coaching staff) about having to play Troy had we been in Coastal's shoes.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:19 pm

The way I understand it, it's not a matter of moving players around to fill out a position group. If Covid protocol affects a position group so that there are not enough to safely field a team then the game is not played. If a coach has been exposed and/or tested positive then is can be reasoned that his ENTIRE position group would have to quarantine if contact tracing resulted in possible exposure. It's certainly fishy and makes for good message board fodder but I highly doubt CCU has made this up and cost themselves a chance at the outright conference championship.
WE ARE YOSEF!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:26 pm
ULL played CCU the first time missing 6 players following covid protocol. CCU has a position coach with it.

No spin, read that how you'd like.
This. This is all that needs to be said.

Coastal Carolina Chicken $h!ts

GO APPS!!

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:11 pm

Well I guess that takes care of all the concern about the infrastructure turnaround for our game. It sucks, both teams could have made this a classic...wish they could reschedule it.

Tatedc

Unread post by Tatedc » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:16 pm

hapapp wrote:

We postponed 2 games due to 20+ players being out. They have 1 position coach. Not the same. They are purposly quarentining in hope of pushing the powers that be to give them a better bowl game that is later in bowl season, all the while avoiding a tough and risky battle with Louisiana. Absolutly disgraceful.

Now. If they are infact afraid of covid because of 1 position coach having it...they should call the season.

But we learned before the Troy game that Coastal is not the team that wants to play games. They want to be awarded for what they've done so far. If I were Cincy I would fake covid and pull out to seal Coastal out of a NY6 without battling Tulsa.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:58 pm

What's most disappointing about this college football season is how COVID has been utilized as an excuse to cancel games. COVID has been a legitimate reason to cancel some games, but maybe not so much in others. In too many instances this year, competition, sportsmanship and integrity have been replaced with politics, gamesmanship or worse.

I'm not making a judgement about ULL or CCU here. I find it disappointing that some programs across the country have used COVID as a convenient excuse to bail out of games they didn't want to play. Who knows what next season looks like, or the one after that. But what does this lack of integrity do to the sport over the long-term?

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Did anyone notice what the Pac-12 did for their Championship Game? I could be wrong but I believe it was suppose to be Washington vs USC but then Washington got the bug and Oregon was next man up in the North division so if they win this game they will be Pac-12 Champs. If the SunBelt would have followed that logic, we would be playing Louisiana in the Championship game. That would have really pissed off Coastal. Oh well.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:30 pm

CCU = No-one, no-time, nowhere.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:27 pm

We should have beaten the Twitty Birds .LaLa tried to GIVE us that game. I’m not jealous, just still disappointed. Underperformed. Underachieved.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:57 am

Didn't Ohio State play with 20+ guys out yesterday?
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:11 am

Risk/reward profile decisions are made everyday. CCU would have played if they were in ULLs position.

They weighed the various outcomes and proceeded with caution, many programs would have made the same call, maybe even ours.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:23 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:57 am
Didn't Ohio State play with 20+ guys out yesterday?
Its not the raw numbers but specifically how it affects a particular position group.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:01 am

20 players would have quite an impact on contact tracing. OSU knew they must play even if down players to make the CFP. CCU knew they only needed Cincy to lose (whether they played or not). Risk/reward decision making, hope we all can agree on that.

The decision tree to play or not is inconsistent program to program as well as within the same program week to week depending on the risk profiles.

We’ve all done it in our day to day lives throughout this year.

Roles reversed with ULL: CCU plays, ULL opts out, CCU fans complain.

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:12 am

If they didn't want to play then fine, next man up --- App State at Louisiana for the conference Championship Game.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:20 am

hapapp wrote:

To add to this, it really would've been to their benefit to play. In most years the 2nd place challenger for the G5 NY6 spot is fully reliant on the lead horse (Cincy) losing so they take the top spot. But Coastal was ranked high enough at #12 that a win over #19 Louisiana could've potentially pushed them as high as #10 and allow them to get an at large NY6 spot without having to depend on Tulsa beating Cincy. Once the SBCCG was called, they became fully dependent on the AACCG.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:09 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... itle-game/

Interesting read, ccu appears to have known they would be in ny6 if they did not play. Just didn’t know which. I hope they get their butts kicked.
Bring Your A Game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”